Crafting Changes Coming in December (6.0.2)

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey all,

We have been reading your feedback since Onslaught launched (and of course from PTS beforehand) on your feelings on the current state of crafting. We agree with your feedback that it isn’t where we want it to be either. There are quite a few changes planned for 6.0.2 in December and we want to give you a preview of those changes today. As 6.0.2 will not have its own PTS, please use this thread to share your feedback on the changes.

• The materials required for “material combination” schematics was too high. We are making the following changes:
    • Premium and Prototype material requirements have been reduced to 6 each (down from 10).
    • Artifact material requirements have been reduced to 12 each (down from 15).
    • The requirements to convert Premium combination materials to Prototype has been reduced to 2 (down from 3).

[*]Although we want to incentivize harvesting over missions for gathering skills, mission inflow was a little too low:

• Increase overall inflow of Premium quality materials from Missions.
    • Increase material rewards from Wealthy Yield Missions.
    • Reduce the overall failure rate of “grey” quality Missions.

[*]Getting crafting schematics when deconstructing gear was too hard with too low of a chance:

• Broadly increased the chance to earn crafting schematics from deconstructing.
    • Sort of related, we are making a pass to ensure that deconstruction is giving the correct professions materials. Raise any specifics you have where this isn’t the case.

[*]Too high of a requirement for Matrixes when crafting:

• The Matrix material requirement has been removed from all schematics below Artifact quality.
    • We are looking closely at data around inflow of Legendary Ember requirements. We may increase requirements here but this is still being investigated.

[*]The materials that you are earning are not coming in at the correct ratio of Premium : Prototype : Artifact to correlate with expenditure:

• Rebalancing material inflow to match a 7:2:1 ratio that many of you have raised.

These are all currently planned changes for 6.0.2 so please let us know your thoughts. As always, we will continue to monitor crafting data and your feedback post-6.0.2 and make further changes as needed! Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information, Eric. One thing about deconstruction I've noticed is some ilevel 270+ items have returned desh when deconstructed. Unfortunately, I can't give specifics because each of the times it's happened I've deconstructed multiple items at once, so I can't tell which item(s) caused me to receive desh. I can tell you I'm 100% certain all items were 270+ though, as I'm very careful ("obsessive" might be more accurate) about checking items before I add them to the deconstruction window.

I know many including myself will say we told you guys all about this starting from the PTS.

I know you probably wanted live data to go off of instead

Still what I will say is this: better late than never.

I can't give much more of an opinion than that until these changes go live and I see how it affects my crafting

Any thoughts on introducing something similar to the "escalating odds" for reverse engineering when trying to learn the next tier? As in when RE:ing a purple stim I have a 5% chance to learn the legendary version, if I RE 10 but don't learn the legendary version, for the 11th I have a passive 10% chance to learn based on how many I have tried to RE before + the original 5%?

Apart from that, these changes sound great and as a crafter, I am very much looking forward to having these instead of the current system.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Can you please just get rid of the assembly components? Keep the same gear total required, whatever, but it's an extra step that is just a pain to deal with. Heck increase the time needed to craft things too if you want to slow down crafting, but having to log onto a crafting toon every 5 minutes if I want to get enough assembly components is just ridiculous.

Eric, thank you. Your mention of the material ratio of 7:2:1 shows that you, or someone else in the team, is reading our thread of suggested fixes. It is good to see that the planned changes are in line with much (though not yet all) of the feedback we are giving.

For the time being, I will continue to advocate that our suggestions be implemented fully, rather than partially. All the same, concrete experience is a valuable test, so I will at least try these proposed changes, which do make some genuine rather than merely superficial concessions, and see if they end up being enough to make crafting fun again.

In the meantime, between now and 6.0.2, I may theorycraft a bit with some spreadsheets and see where that takes me. If any interesting results come from that research, I will share them, of course.

Again, thank you.

Edited by Estelindis

I vote for ANY mission and i literally mean ANY mission, from moderate to wealthy, from Archeology to Slicing, from Diplomacy to Underworld trading - to give green materials (well unless they fail right?).

i've been farming grey mission like a madman to even get started with any crafting, thats dumb, rich yield bringing purple and blue is nice but 0 green, thats baaaaaaad.

Love the changes, lets see how they'll play out.. Also the sooner the better *wink wink* :)

You need to significantly increase the material quantities obtained from Satchels of Crafting materials (from flashpoint bosses, operation bosses, and conquest completions). Right now, you right click them and they give between 4-8 materials of random quality from grade 1-11. This is such an insignificant amount that it is not worth anyone's time to even stare at their computer monitor and give the effort to right click it. Problems like these would never occur if the 3 people that develop this video game ACTUALLY played this video game, even on occasion. Yikes.

Can you please just get rid of the assembly components? Keep the same gear total required, whatever, but it's an extra step that is just a pain to deal with. Heck increase the time needed to craft things too if you want to slow down crafting, but having to log onto a crafting toon every 5 minutes if I want to get enough assembly components is just ridiculous.

I would actually advocate this as well. It's one thing if this word game where such a subcomponents have a varying degrees of quality that can affect the outcome. But that is not the case with SWTOR. In which case I would actually just prefer then things to be simplified. And if those components are indeed remove from the schematics then just make it so that deconstruction will refund us the cost of making it and give us the materials back for those now removed subcomponents.

okay...

mat requirement is not the real problem of current crafting system.

bcs of how gearing works now, players can have everything fast and easy except for biochem stuff and augments.

and as a result their feedback is going to be complaining about requirements for those 2 things that they just cant grind in a day spaming RR or HS flashpoints.

you need to understand that there is bias in feedback because majority of players essentialy want to have it easy and the moment they struggle with something they ask for nerf.

and also base mats are not actually the thing that is slowing proccess of getting top stuff . its solid matrixes and maybe embers (not sure rly). thing about matrixes is that you only get X of them per character that hit conquest goal so players who are doing conquest on multiple chars have huge advantage which kinda doesnt seem fair

i have couple points to make here :

1. base mat requirement was not too high for top tier items ( reusable biochem / purple augments) - it should be high. because they are legacy bound - once you get them you are done, there is no reason to make it easily affordable.

( okay, solid matrixes for blue augments are bit too much. 2-3 per one makes much more sense)

2. chance to get schematics was low, thats true. 5% chance is kinda frustrating. however, having there +1-2% bonus for every failed attempt would be MUCH better than just flat increase of chance to lets say 10% for top tier stuff.

3. there is basicly no reason to craft any other gear (with exception of some tactical items). who would waste mats on crafting lets say armorings or enhancements or relics or nonmoddable gear when they can just do flashpoint or two and get it for free ? ... nobody ( crazy people maybe ? )

in my opinion following things would make everything better :

lower gear drops from easily farmable content a bit

make schematics bit easier to aquire

give each crafting proffession something worth crafting ( hell, just make new suffix of gear that only comes from craft which will have like 5 of each stat above regular 306 versions. nobody actually needs it, but people will want it anyway thus making other profession worth doing )

even though this is not crafting specific -

make it so that one character can hit personal conquest multiple times, each step having slighlty higher goal that needs to be hit ( 1st goal = 50k | 2nd goal = 60k (110 total) | 3rd goal = 70k ( 180 total) etc - this will actually make mats more affordable bcs quite a lot of players is focusing on one, maybe two toons and have ridiculous amount of CQ points that is basicly wasted

Edited by Freezye

This may not be everything, but it's SO much better than we have now. I would make a few suggestions:

--A few more schematics would be nice. Right now armormechs, synthweavers, artificers and armstechs all get ONE group of schematics for 268 gear. Add some schematics (closer to 700 skill) for another tier of gear starting at say (just a placeholder value here) 284 prototype? That can be RE'd to lower 290's artifact?

Also, artificers and armstechs get one schematic for premium grade, item level 277 hilts and barrels. Synthweavers and armormechs get one schematic for versatile and resistive armorings. Cybertechs get one schemtic for each type of mod and enhancement. All IR 277, premium. Give us another tier of these items starting at ~284 prototype, which can be RE'd to around ~292 artifact? (again, suggested placeholder values, tweak as you see fit)

I'm actually okay with making the assembly components. Maybe just decrease the time required to make them, by companions with lower levels of influence?

The changes you've outlined are still MUCH better than what we have now and would make me more optimistic about crafting gear for myself.

Will the changes to material inflows from missions result in premium materials returned from ALL mission tiers, in increasing amounts as mission tier increases, and in ratios closer resembling actual needs?

What is the new reverse engineering target chance?

Will any new schematics be added such that players will be able to craft useful items (e.g. all mods, ears, implants, relics, armor, weapons) closer to the rating of current dropped items?

Thank you for the update. I can acknowledge that most of these changes are at least in the right direction, if not the amplitude.

I will be interested to see any elaboration/details you have on Reverse Engineering, especially the new chances and returning unrelated materials. I don’t know how easy it is to track failures and succeed after X tries, so-called rng protection. I assume that’s a lot harder especially with non-stacking items.

Premium green use and availability is definitely an issue and I’m glad to see that being addressed.

When you do this update, please make sure you address the inaccessible nodes on Onderon and Mek-Sha. I’ve been bugging their coordinates every time I come across them.

Lastly can someone from the team verify what the amplifier +10 Critical [crafting skill] is actually doing? How is it supposed to modify crit chance? I made two dyes yesterday, Gray difficulty, on rank 50 companions, with a +90 crit artifice suit and neither was a crit result. I realize that sample size is extremely low so I’m not saying it’s broken, I just want to know how the amplifier is supposed to work.

Thank you

I vote for ANY mission and i literally mean ANY mission, from moderate to wealthy, from Archeology to Slicing, from Diplomacy to Underworld trading - to give green materials (well unless they fail right?).

i've been farming grey mission like a madman to even get started with any crafting, thats dumb, rich yield bringing purple and blue is nice but 0 green, thats baaaaaaad.

Love the changes, lets see how they'll play out.. Also the sooner the better *wink wink* :)

This please, I have only been running green and gray missions, no point in doing the others.

Hey all,

We have been reading your feedback since Onslaught launched (and of course from PTS beforehand) on your feelings on the current state of crafting. We agree with your feedback that it isn’t where we want it to be either. There are quite a few changes planned for 6.0.2 in December and we want to give you a preview of those changes today. As 6.0.2 will not have its own PTS, please use this thread to share your feedback on the changes.

• The materials required for “material combination” schematics was too high. We are making the following changes:
    • Premium and Prototype material requirements have been reduced to 6 each (down from 10).
    • Artifact material requirements have been reduced to 12 each (down from 15).
    • The requirements to convert Premium combination materials to Prototype has been reduced to 2 (down from 3).

[*]Although we want to incentivize harvesting over missions for gathering skills, mission inflow was a little too low:

• Increase overall inflow of Premium quality materials from Missions.
    • Increase material rewards from Wealthy Yield Missions.
    • Reduce the overall failure rate of “grey” quality Missions.

[*]Getting crafting schematics when deconstructing gear was too hard with too low of a chance:

• Broadly increased the chance to earn crafting schematics from deconstructing.
    • Sort of related, we are making a pass to ensure that deconstruction is giving the correct professions materials. Raise any specifics you have where this isn’t the case.

[*]Too high of a requirement for Matrixes when crafting:

• The Matrix material requirement has been removed from all schematics below Artifact quality.
    • We are looking closely at data around inflow of Legendary Ember requirements. We may increase requirements here but this is still being investigated.

[*]The materials that you are earning are not coming in at the correct ratio of Premium : Prototype : Artifact to correlate with expenditure:

• Rebalancing material inflow to match a 7:2:1 ratio that many of you have raised.

These are all currently planned changes for 6.0.2 so please let us know your thoughts. As always, we will continue to monitor crafting data and your feedback post-6.0.2 and make further changes as needed! Thanks everyone.

-eric

To be frank, all this stuff looks pretty good for crafting. I wish u guys did this on PTS already though, im afraid that is just going remain as a thorough disappointment.

Looking good on premium requirements, not too drastic, not too insignificant. Dont forget to change the white mat requirements too! The standard, premium and prototype things that we can buy.

Hopefully the increased inflow of premium mats from missinos means that all missions now drop greens. That is such a bummer that we get one single mission we can spam to get an okay amount of greens. Hopefully gathering nodes will drop relatively more greens too according to the 7 2 1 ratio.

What r the new RE chances going to be? Going back to the 60% would be nice, but im pretty sure that is just wishful thinking. I suspect u guys gonna keep the odds low for the good stuff, so RNG protection would be very welcome to know that at least we r making SOME progress.

No more matrices needed for blue and below, that is awesome. That's how it should have been from the start since PTS feedback.

Now just one big question remaining: when is all PVE content going to be scaled to 75?

Hey all,

We have been reading your feedback since Onslaught launched (and of course from PTS beforehand) on your feelings on the current state of crafting. We agree with your feedback that it isn’t where we want it to be either.

-eric

Which begs the question why did YOU (Bioware) make it that way to begin with?

Do you really have so little understanding of one of the cornerstone elements of every MMORPG ever (Crafting) that you can only see what impact your changes make AFTER the changes go live?

Can't you look at a spread sheet and work out what is likely to happen if you reduce a drop-rate by 15%?

Can't you figure out that happens if you increase "materials needed" by 50%?

This is all just rather basic spread-sheet accounting.

Help me understand why these changes need to "go live" BEFORE you realise you broke it?

What variables do you a) not have control over or b) don't understand the impact of, that makes it so a system change as appalling as this has to go live for you guys to figure out you got it wrong?

All The Best

I'm glad these needed changes are coming, however...

I just want to know why you ignored the testers when we brought this to your attention repeatedly, but only then decided to change it after it went live with the general population?

Any chance the price of 200 scraps will be dropped from the Jawa vendors?

P.S. And why do we have to wait till mid December for this to happen, why not implement it now?

Edited by Banthabreeder

I have been a Master Crafter since the 1.4 days. Maxing ALL my crafting professions and crew skills have been my first action with every expansion to craft for my guild and friends.

So far i have touched maybe half of them just to see how they were changed and what new items were added. I WILL NOT craft under the current system. Having read through your proposed changes I STILL WILL NOT CRAFT in your proposed system. I do not need to craft two different kinds of green items just to combine them into a single blue item etc. The cost to learn the new tier was excessive to start with couple that with the excessive cost in materials just to make the sub components and it is beyond an insult. I will not even touch the Jawa Junk aspect as that is another stupid cost that should have never been considered.

Follow the pattern of the prior tiers MAYBE double the material count from 2 to 4 as I would TOLERATE that or do nothing.

As it stands and as you propose I WILL NOT CRAFT, not for sale, not for my guild, not for my friends, and not even for myself.

I just want to know why you ignored the testers when we brought this to your attention repeatedly, but only then decided to change it after it went live with the general population?

P.S. And why do we have to wait till mid December for this to happen, why not implement it now?

You won't like my answers but here goes: First, they "ignored" PTS feedback cuz they probably wanted/needed data & metrics from the actual 'live' servers before feeling 100% confident.

Secondly, you have to "wait" because....well.... coding takes time. (And i mean that seriously, not sarcastically. ) Plus, there are a few other non-related things being released in December as well. (just in time for 'Holiday season' break, etc. )

I'm as critical as anyone about certain particular decisions BioWare Dev Team makes sometimes, but at the end of the day: They are a small crew, with limited time & budget (thanks to EA/Disney) .

Edited by Nee-Elder

I have been a Master Crafter since the 1.4 days. Maxing ALL my crafting professions and crew skills have been my first action with every expansion to craft for my guild and friends.

As it stands and as you propose I WILL NOT CRAFT, not for sale, not for my guild, not for my friends, and not even for myself.

Not to be a jerk, but that's not really an accomplishment. Old crafting was faceroll. You'd have to be a young child to not be able to grasp the old crafting system. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rion_Starkiller