Lucasfilm games hits lightspeed toward the future

CrazyTough

This is interesting. I always thought Lucasfilm Games was dead w/the acquisition. I read a couple of things from this release. 1. EA couldn't seal the deal to continue to have sole rights to Star Wars games (or didn't want to continue to be the sole dev) &/or 2. Disney finally realized hey there's money in this gaming industry, maybe we should expand.

I just remembered, "Oh yeah, Indiana Jones is owned by Disney too". It's one of those things that's always out there but i just didn't realize because my 'universe' revolves around Star Wars. That's IP that is ripe for development too.

Well, hopefully this is good news for SWTOR. I'm cautiously hopeful (especially with all the cryptic messaging going on..."We have something big to tell you but can't yet...") Plus it appears that they're adding headcount/investing (looking at you Jackie :D ), so hopefully Lucasfilm realize they got something here

Well.......

Not sure how I feel about this as it really has very little info. I have spent a lot of money on this game and have zero interest in starting again on another game. Which is why I have not or ever will try Jedi Fallen Order. A new game will most likely just take away players from this game (and fallen order) How that will affect this game long term remains unclear going by this article. Hopefully BW will start talking more about what's coming out this year for the 10th anniversary because if more SW game are coming out then players will need reasons to stay. I personally as mentioned not interested in any new games coming out.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Funny how poor old swtor never gets included when Disney / LucasFilm or even EA themselves discuss EA Star Wars games. It’s like the adopted child no one wants to acknowledge or take responsibility for,

Yeah i notice that too...lol...But the lore is convenient enough to trickle in

Funny how poor old swtor never gets included when Disney / LucasFilm or even EA themselves discuss EA Star Wars games. It’s like the adopted child no one wants to acknowledge or take responsibility for,

I noticed that as well, but recent discussions on that are all over the map. A couple of common topics:

• LA has been "in talks" with Ubisoft 'for a year' - so D knew that they were going to be expanding, and obviously kept any re-staffing of LA very hush hush. The CT's ponder wither it was to hide it from the consumers, or from EA.

• One one hand, EA/D failing to put any light on SWTOR kind of leaves SWTOR in limbo as to whats next. Lots of possibilities between both extremes of that pendulum.

• On the other hand, it also leaves the field wide open for another developer to tackle another SW MMO, maybe even multiple MMO's from multiple developers. There is another option, but it is rather out there in the realm of 'realistic possibilities', but we'll see.

• Unknown variables are what sort of allowances a/o restrictions would/do exist for such a venture (eg: does it have to be Disney canon or can they delve into the 'abandoned' legends; is disney pulling a Lucas and cordoning off certain time frames /characters /events as no go zones; etc)

Whatever comes next, it gives me that warm tingly feeling just knowing that LA is "back in business", and that maybe there is hope yet... time will tell.

Edited by Kaveat

This is interesting. I always thought Lucasfilm Games was dead w/the acquisition. I read a couple of things from this release. 1. EA couldn't seal the deal to continue to have sole rights to Star Wars games (or didn't want to continue to be the sole dev) &/or 2. Disney finally realized hey there's money in this gaming industry, maybe we should expand.

I just remembered, "Oh yeah, Indiana Jones is owned by Disney too". It's one of those things that's always out there but i just didn't realize because my 'universe' revolves around Star Wars. That's IP that is ripe for development too.

Well, hopefully this is good news for SWTOR. I'm cautiously hopeful (especially with all the cryptic messaging going on..."We have something big to tell you but can't yet...") Plus it appears that they're adding headcount/investing (looking at you Jackie :D ), so hopefully Lucasfilm realize they got something here

Bethesda is working on Indiana Jones and now that they are acquired by Microsoft, there will be money put into the game and it might end up being really good.

Case in point, the huge news that Lucasfilm Games and Ubisoft are collaborating on a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game. It’s a genre long-requested by fans, and will come to life via Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft’s critically-acclaimed studio based in Malmö, Sweden.

A genre long requested by fans, huh?

Well, the [very] Old Republic is covered.

Post Ruusan Reformation (is that even canon anymore?) to Prequels ... well, this is sort of covered by the new "high republic" push, but the first novel only just came out, so I wouldn't exactly call it "long-requested" and the High Republic time is not as wide a time frame as the entire post-Reformation era.

Jedi: FO/Solo/Star Wars Rebels/Rogue One/Andor/post-RotS-to-ANH era? Maybe. There isn't a ton of open conflict here so is this a time period appropriate for an MMORPG? Granted, open world doesn't automatically translate into an MMORPG, it could mean Destiny-like or Anthem-like, or even Sims-like. But if its about secret missions of the infant rebel alliance or scoundrels just getting into trouble, that just seems to be more of a single-player type environment than an [presumably persistent] open world. I don't see an open world game about the Jedi who survived Order 66 surviving but adventuring, or Force-sensitives recruited into the ranks of the Inquisitor squads, being particularly plausible but I could be wrong.

Galactic Civil War ... well, we already know where that was and is. I doubt they would push into that without starting a cease and desist operation.

So, if I were a betting man, my bet would be on the era covering post ROTJ. I think they're trying to capitalize on the interest generated by the shows (Mandalorian/Ahsoka/Rangers of tNR)