Why KoToR will never be remastered (but needs to be)

EAFSAMWISE

I've seen a lot of people advocate for KoToR to be remastered. Personally while I'd like to see this, I doubt it will happen bc there's a substantial market for KoToR mods which has been popular for years. On top of that, not all fans would agree on how they'd want it remastered (hence the popularity of mods to remaster it, since people can add or edit out whatever they want). The main thing which can be added in a remaster to improve it, is for the playable character to actually speak his or her dialogue like in SWTOR, which so far has not been done by any modders.

What I'd really love to see is the incorporation of some of the popular story expansions out there, especially the Brotherhood of Shadow and the Mandalorian Expac for the Rakata world. I think some aspects should be changed/refined more but the concepts, story and characters would make a worthy addition to the game.

• 1 month later...
A remaster is already in development by Aspyr.

Yep and teaser trailer just released today --->

( So the OP might need to change his thread title ;) )

p.s. This sorta makes me wonder if BioWarEA might have similar plans for SWTOR upgrade , hence why all the "over simplification dumbing down" stuff with 7.0 update ...hmm....

Edited by Nee-Elder
if SWTOR 'upgrade' is your *master plan* , then i'll retract all of my prior criticisms of 7.0

I wonder how this will effect the canon status of Kotor and the Old Republic as a whole. See everything coming out after the Disney take-over is suppose to be canon. However, this is a remaster of a game that currents counts as Legends. I am curious to see how this works out.

I wonder how this will effect the canon status of Kotor and the Old Republic as a whole. See everything coming out after the Disney take-over is suppose to be canon. However, this is a remaster of a game that currents counts as Legends. I am curious to see how this works out.

it won't. this is no different then any of the other remakes of old games like Republic Commnado that just came out earlier this year.

Speaking of i'm not holding a lot of faith in this remake. It's being done by the compnay that did the "remaster" of Republic Commando for Swtich which while not improving the textures or graphics at all suffered from awful FPS. Yes a 20 year old game which could run on a pentium 2 with 256 megs ram couldn't even get 60 fps on the Switch.

If this was being done by Bioware i would have more confidence especially after they did an amazing job with the Mass Effect Legandy edition.

it won't. this is no different then any of the other remakes of old games like Republic Commnado that just came out earlier this year.

Speaking of i'm not holding a lot of faith in this remake. It's being done by the compnay that did the "remaster" of Republic Commando for Swtich which while not improving the textures or graphics at all suffered from awful FPS. Yes a 20 year old game which could run on a pentium 2 with 256 megs ram couldn't even get 60 fps on the Switch.

If this was being done by Bioware i would have more confidence especially after they did an amazing job with the Mass Effect Legandy edition.

Yeah, it will probably not work out in any "canon" way, I don't see how that's suppose to work/happen.

Also, I see why your faith is pretty small in this remake. I just hope this company does realise what immense responsibility they're holding in their hands and by that understand how important it is for them to get this job done in the best way possible. The expectations are high and I suppose they are not planning to fail us, yet if Republic Commando was a major flop as you say, we can only hope.

I don't see a reason to be overly pessimistic about the poor quality of a grounds-up remake based on remasters that are by nature technically limited.

Plus LA & Disney have a large vested interest in tapping into the era of the Old Republic.... and the thing did just get the n1 slot with a CGI teaser as a PS5 exclusive on their show. They're clearly not planning to half toosh this one over the line Blizzard style.

And Aspyr was/is hiring RPG designers with Unreal Engine (preferably UE4+) so it looks like they're going for the tried and tested under the hood.

Ain't no stopping this hype train

I don't see a reason to be overly pessimistic about the poor quality of a grounds-up remake based on remasters that are by nature technically limited.

Plus LA & Disney have a large vested interest in tapping into the era of the Old Republic.... and the thing did just get the n1 slot with a CGI teaser as a PS5 exclusive on their show. They're clearly not planning to half toosh this one over the line Blizzard style.

And Aspyr was/is hiring RPG designers with Unreal Engine (preferably UE4+) so it looks like they're going for the tried and tested under the hood.

Ain't no stopping this hype train

This.

It's got the big Lucasfilm logo and the original reason for TOR stories was a lot more freedom with events. Same as High Republic era although High Republic is much more extreme as its buildin from ground up almost.

That said, it would not be difficult at all to make the remake canon with the few small tweaks here and there that will come with a remake.

I personally would love if they canonised Revan as genderless. Keep the basic gameplay mechanics but have it be once they got their memory back and 'became Revan' again that their gender was lost to the ages. Somethin about someone who was light and dark and of unknown gender would be really cool.

Revan will always be female to me as 'she' is to many others who played Revan as a woman on their playthrough.

Disney SW's Rise of Skywalker already acknowledged a Sith Lord named Revan existed at some point in the past. I'd like them to just go ahead and acknowledge all of KOTOR. This remake is a perfect opportunity for them to bring in TOR from Legends to Canon in a way that would not negatively impact any of their current storylines, and possibly enhance future ones.

• 2 weeks later...
This.

It's got the big Lucasfilm logo and the original reason for TOR stories was a lot more freedom with events. Same as High Republic era although High Republic is much more extreme as its buildin from ground up almost.

That said, it would not be difficult at all to make the remake canon with the few small tweaks here and there that will come with a remake.

I personally would love if they canonised Revan as genderless. Keep the basic gameplay mechanics but have it be once they got their memory back and 'became Revan' again that their gender was lost to the ages. Somethin about someone who was light and dark and of unknown gender would be really cool.

Revan will always be female to me as 'she' is to many others who played Revan as a woman on their playthrough.

I understand your point, and though i agree with the idea of keep the sex of Revan lost to the ages, I am afraid Disney will do something really really idiotic with that idea.........

Apparently they've hired a woman who has a track record of making man-hating femi-nazi comments online...not only that, she doesn't like KOTOR.

This game is dead on arrival, especially since its a REMAKE not a remaster...that means an entirely new story from the woketivists PC perspective.

For god sake is there ANYWHERE we can go to escape this nonsense?!?!

Apparently they've hired a woman who has a track record of making man-hating femi-nazi comments online...not only that, she doesn't like KOTOR.

This game is dead on arrival, especially since its a REMAKE not a remaster...that means an entirely new story from the woketivists PC perspective.

For god sake is there ANYWHERE we can go to escape this nonsense?!?!

So yes while it is true that that woman is part of the team, she is not the lead writer. the lead writer has said that they will be staying faithful to the original story with a few minor changes. Whether or not that is true is left to be seen. Also being a remake means a full overhaul of mechanics and graphics. A remaster would just update the graphics and there are plenty of mods that one can get for that.

Pro:

Maybe they fix some bugs, add new dialogues/partner options, generally add more content for certain characters without falsifying their story.

Con:

1) I got no trust in the current game industry when it comes to "remastering" old games (Warcraft3 Reforged, etc.)

2) our good old legacy content does NOT need the attention of the retarded star wars "Mainstream" people! :mad:

I wonder why do Fans try to deal with these nonsense from Disney. They have no respect for fans, they despite fans, calling names, demonizing fans. I wonder why fans have to play by their rules ? The right to publish something is only enforceable if people accept it. Why do we accept that Disney has a monopoly right to publish starwars ?

I wonder why do Fans try to deal with these nonsense from Disney. They have no respect for fans, they despite fans, calling names, demonizing fans. I wonder why fans have to play by their rules ? The right to publish something is only enforceable if people accept it. Why do we accept that Disney has a monopoly right to publish starwars ?

Because Legally they do have the monopoly on star wars. If fans ignore that and try to go around it, they will get legal action taken against them and they will lose.

Common, I think we are passed the innocent stage to actually believe that is true. They may be able to push Youtube to do something but they are powerless without some 3rd party, Mickey has been using all around the world without their consent. The same reason when political leader got harassed, they rarely able to do anything.

Common, I think we are passed the innocent stage to actually believe that is true. They may be able to push Youtube to do something but they are powerless without some 3rd party, Mickey has been using all around the world without their consent. The same reason when political leader got harassed, they rarely able to do anything.

Would still be Copyright infringement even Fraud, outside the nation, its gets a lot more easier to get away with it due to a myraid of reasons.

Yeah, Hamas has used a Mickey Mouse - Rat version to promote terrorism for decades and Disney can do nothing about it.

But here would be in their sphere of influence and they would probably allow you to do all the work then come in and scoop it from you.

Correction, here they will depend on others to actually steal from you. SwTheories case for example, they did not actually go after him because to actually go after s.o legally take time and money even if you are sure to win. This however tend to create a negative image if you are a political leader, a multibillion dollar company try to sue a single guy for crime like harassments, or copy right - see US or UK politic -.Which is why Disney actually depended on Youtube to control such thing. Another problem is this particular niche situation of this legal battle that SwThreories or any Fan made SW will only use the name of SW most of the content are created by the fans which is different from streaming movie illegally.