Game Update 6.2.1 brings Amplifier changes!

DanielSteed

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have misunderstood a lot of players sentiment regarding amplifiers, what you are doing will make it quicker and easier to get the amplifier that you need, but the price to get that right gold will be roughly the same, or more, than what is is without the quality lock. Weekly resets are good, but why not just flat out reduce the price of the rerolls, at this point players that wants/need the right amplifiers will have gotten them already, the only people left are either poor or cheap and I am not sure if you reach those with only introducing weekly calibration cost resets. Edited by RikuvonDrake

Looks like a nice improvement for this system. More clarity and better options for finding the amp you want.

Just one thing, will that amplifier panel on the character sheet be collapsible? If you just want to switch out gear, change outfits, or examine your stats, it kind of takes up a big chunk of the screen.

While on the subject of patch 6.2.1, any chance that command crate gear vendor will make it into this update? It might have slipped the devs' minds, so I wanted to draw some attention to it. Please see this thread.

Just one thing, will that amplifier panel on the character sheet be collapsible? If you just want to switch out gear, change outfits, or examine your stats, it kind of takes up a big chunk of the screen.

While on the subject of patch 6.2.1, any chance that command crate gear vendor will make it into this update? It might have slipped the devs' minds, so I wanted to draw some attention to it. Please see this thread.

I would like to see those two things too.

Seriously you need to hire better UI designers. The Material window is awful, now this? This is sad. No one is going to want to see amplifiers listed every time they open character screen. Especially those below 75.

Who is this system even aimed at?

F2P players...No

Characters under 75.... No

Solo Casual Players...No

Super Rich Players...Yup

PVP Min/Max...Yup

Master OPs etc Min/Max...Maybe

Hey if you like this, and have couple billions credits to waste trying to get that extra couple % have at it. Enjoy.

Personally the fact they are focusing on this instead of content or fixing the huge amount of bugs still in this game, shows how out of touch they are, and clearly are trying to cater to a very specific group.

Looks like a nice improvement for this system. More clarity and better options for finding the amp you want.

Agreed, that Panel out to the right of the character screen needs to be hidden to start with and only toggle in and out if desired.

I think the UI looks horrible. I really don't know what you're thinking with this.

The weekly reset is nice for set bonus pieces and trinkets so there's that, but all in all this is all a matter of barking up the wrong tree.

There really shouldn't be RNG involved in upgrading gear is what I'm saying. The amplifiers either need to be craftable or earnable with content. This feels like the Galactic Command problem: you told people about it and they hated it. Then you tested it and people hated it. You made it go live and people hated it and you spent the next few years tweaking Galactic Command, wasting precious resources until you finally gave up on it and turned it into Renown... which is utterly useless as a system.

Amplifiers are going the same route. People hate it. People do it because it's a whopping 6% more output roughly and well, there's precious little else to do when it comes to gearing since the gearing is hella fast in 6.0. But in the end nobody likes wasting millions and millions of credits on RNG.

When comparing them to augments, they have two disadvantages: they are not added to the gear by the player and they are not transparent in what they do.

The first point is about choosing whether or not you want them on your gear. The amplifiers are integrated into gear and so people are confronted with them every time they check their gear.

The second point relates to nobody knowing actually what a lot of amplifiers have for an effect, like the crafting ones for example. All my crafters have the +90 from the mods but I have no idea what they do and if they even do anything.

So how about telling us what all the amplifiers do and then we can see if it's even worth it. It's like Anthem, you're failed game, where there was no transparency about the stats. Please do not copy the failures of Anthem into this game.

And again, let gearing up be about earning it or crafting it (or both so people can choose). Then at least it feels like an achievement instead of a sense of relief mixed with regret.

Hey everyone!

Today we published an article highlighting the Amplifier changes that will be coming with Game Update 6.2.1 on February 16th. In it we discuss UI changes, quality locking, and more. If you'd like to give the article a read, you can find it here.

A couple of things I noticed from the linked information you provided that Im concerned about.

1. There is no mention to +crit crafting amplifiers fixed so they work. I’m hoping this will be in the patch notes

2. It doesn’t seem that you guys listened to feed back testing on the pts (again!) where players said they didn’t want to have the amplifier screen always showing when they open the character screen. There is no little “x” in the corner to close the amplifier pane if it’s open.

3. The lock feature seems good as an idea, but I noticed the lock for gold is 434,930 credits? If this is correct, then it’s just another credit sink that no one in their right mind will use. Also, what about free to play and preferred players who only have 1 million credits cap per Alt. Do you think they are going to spend nearly half of that on one roll?

Seeing as the patch notes aren’t out yet, I’m not going to go full feral about these. But I’m definitely concerned that you’ve not listened to the players again! and spent all this time and resources changing something and not actually making it better.

I think you have misunderstood a lot of players sentiment regarding amplifiers, what you are doing will make it quicker and easier to get the amplifier that you need, but the price to get that right gold will be roughly the same, or more, than what is is without the quality lock. Weekly resets are good, but why not just flat out reduce the price of the rerolls, at this point players that wants/need the right amplifiers will have gotten them already, the only people left are either poor or cheap and I am not sure if you reach those with only introducing weekly calibration cost resets.

One reason only, it’s a poorly disguised credit sink and always has been.

As I wrote here,

PTS experience: The level locking means that the percentage you have on the amplifier is the minimum you will get in future rolls. It does not mean you will get the same type of amplifier in future rolls. It also means every one of your rolls costs 100K or more, starting from the very first roll and will increase in price for every roll - up to 100 rolls per week on that item modification.

If you think of amplifier rolling as gambling, the locking option given by the new system is geared (pun intentional) towards the high-rollers.

Exactly this ^^

I don’t believe these changes are QOL at all. The amplifier system from the start has been a poorly designed credit sink around a gambling mechanic. No one likes it and many people opt out of using it because they know what it is.

Biowares answer to people ignoring it is to stick an ugly screen you can’t close onto the character pane so that it’s the first thing you see when you open it. In other words, “we’ll stick it in your face so you can’t ignore it”.

When the amps were originally added, a lot of players got smart really fast regarding the costs and stop rerolling on amps at 50k. This largely negated the credit sink effect and gambling mechanics.

Biowares answer? Add locks that now cost 400,000 credits for the highest quality rolls instead of starting at 20,000 like they do now.

Honestly, I think some people will do it who’ve been really unlucky getting the amps they want over the last 14 months. But the smart people will just avoid it like they do now by not locking the amps and when the rolls get to 50k, they will disintegrate and move on.

The amount of time and energy that Bioware have put into this would have been better spent on real QOL fixes in the game or actual playable content.

If they need another credit sink, then listen to the suggestions players have been giving them for years. Add some bling vendor items into the game that players want or change the GTN tax to a scaling model so the more expensive something is, the higher the tax.

The 400,000 price for the amps wouldn’t be that bad if you could choose the amps and it was a one off. They could even increase the price to 500,000 or higher if you were guaranteed to get the one you want. That’s what you call an ethical credit sink.

These gambling mechanics aren’t ethical and we need less RNG in this game, not more.

Bioware, players will pay more to be able to choose exactly what they want. Get rid of RNG at vendors and on amplifiers. Get rid of the gambling mechanics.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I like the filtering but I'm like others, I don't want to see that window every time I open up my Character window. Filtering it out is nice. Even setting the quality is nice as well. The cost of the gold is stupid. Literally, I have no other word for it. I'm not paying 400,000 credits or more for that...not when it sometimes takes three or four or more rolls to get the stat you want. I'm not sure what the devs are thinking with some of this, but come on...That's expensive for an item that resets every week...

One reason only, it’s a poorly disguised credit sink and always has been.

That's exactly what it is.

They made this problem with inflation / toons with too many credits themselves. After 9 years with virtually no credit cap. 4 Billion a toon, possible 100 toons per sever + legacy Bank?? How stupid a design this is.

They cap F2P at 1 million...which is useless due too such high inflation in the game. But because they are capped they don't add to the over all problem...they also don't help.

So they try to fix the issue by giving the high end rollers some place to spend all these credits they are sitting on...all the while hurting players that can't afford to do the same creating more unbalance in gameplay.

You want players spending credits, not hoarding. Simplest solution is too not allow them to hold too much credits to begin with. Then no matter how much time passes in real world they can never be sitting on more then whatever the CAP is. This is just common sense.

Creating even more sinks just hurts casual players.

Edited by DragonSire

A couple of things I noticed from the linked information you provided that Im concerned about.

1. There is no mention to +crit crafting amplifiers fixed so they work. I’m hoping this will be in the patch notes

2. It doesn’t seem that you guys listened to feed back testing on the pts (again!) where players said they didn’t want to have the amplifier screen always showing when they open the character screen. There is no little “x” in the corner to close the amplifier pane if it’s open.

3. The lock feature seems good as an idea, but I noticed the lock for gold is 434,930 credits? If this is correct, then it’s just another credit sink that no one in their right mind will use. Also, what about free to play and preferred players who only have 1 million credits cap per Alt. Do you think they are going to spend nearly half of that on one roll?

Seeing as the patch notes aren’t out yet, I’m not going to go full feral about these. But I’m definitely concerned that you’ve not listened to the players again! and spent all this time and resources changing something and not actually making it better.

Exactly this ^^

I don’t believe these changes are QOL at all. The amplifier system from the start has been a poorly designed credit sink around a gambling mechanic. No one likes it and many people opt out of using it because they know what it is.

Biowares answer to people ignoring it is to stick an ugly screen you can’t close onto the character pane so that it’s the first thing you see when you open it. In other words, “we’ll stick it in your face so you can’t ignore it”.

When the amps were originally added, a lot of players got smart really fast regarding the costs and stop rerolling on amps at 50k. This largely negated the credit sink effect and gambling mechanics.

Biowares answer? Add locks that now cost 400,000 credits for the highest quality rolls instead of starting at 20,000 like they do now.

Honestly, I think some people will do it who’ve been really unlucky getting the amps they want over the last 14 months. But the smart people will just avoid it like they do now by not locking the amps and when the rolls get to 50k, they will disintegrate and move on.

The amount of time and energy that Bioware have put into this would have been better spent on real QOL fixes in the game or actual playable content.

If they need another credit sink, then listen to the suggestions players have been giving them for years. Add some bling vendor items into the game that players want or change the GTN tax to a scaling model so the more expensive something is, the higher the tax.

The 400,000 price for the amps wouldn’t be that bad if you could choose the amps and it was a one off. They could even increase the price to 500,000 of higher if you were guaranteed to get the one you want. That’s what you call an ethical credit sink.

These gambling mechanics aren’t ethical and we need less RNG in this game, not more.

Bioware, players will pay more to be able to choose exactly what they want. Get rid of RNG at vendors and on amplifiers. Get rid of the gambling mechanics.

Less RNG .. not more !!

Better is better !!

However, that said: From what I am seeing it will not be hard to come to a sound conclusion. This latest development will either provide affirmation of current suppositions / decisions or provide a basis for reevaluation and determination of a possible alternative resolution at a future date !

I am watching !

Edited by OlBuzzard

Ya I'm sick and tired of the dev team blatantly ignoring complaints about their continued trashing of this games UI. They just keep adding more and more garbage and clutter to it that we can't hide or customize in any way and its getting annoying. Why even have a PTS if they are just going to straight up ignore us?

Edited by Raansu

Ya I'm sick and tired of the dev team blatantly ignoring complaints about their continued trashing of this games UI. They just keep adding more and more garbage and clutter to it that we can't hide or customize in any way and its getting annoying. Why even have a PTS if they are just going to straight up ignore us?

Good question...from what others are saying you might have to go to discord to ask.

Why even have a PTS if they are just going to straight up ignore us?

That’s why stopped downloading it.

I am more than happy to spend my time testing and providing feedback on changes and finding bugs “if” Bioware actually listens to player feed back. And I don’t mean they have to only listen to me as I may not represent everyone’s views or likes/dislikes.

But they should look at all the feedback and when the overwhelming feed back says “x” is crap, then don’t do it.

If the overwhelming feedback says fix bug “y” before pushing live, then do it.

Ive come to the conclusion the PTS is a complete waste of my time because Bioware have already made up their minds before they put it on the PTS.

What makes it worse is you can’t download it while you are playing the live game. The download is often much slower than the live game too. So you waste extra time downloading and can’t actually play the game and then all the testing you do is ignored.

I would gladly sacrifice 10-20% of my over all game time to testing to make this game better to find bugs and to test new ideas the devs have if they listened. I love this game and I only want what’s best for it. But if the devs ignore ALL the feed back from the players who go out of their way to test, what’s the point?