GSF CQ points... Please refine to make them conditional in kills, damage...

farren_whyde

if you want to condition the weelky to kill or other condition you will lose all the new players who arrive in gsf and who do few kills or medals. it's already hard for new players to arrive in gsf if you condition this to kill or other condtion you will stay in your elitist world without new players who will want to come. I regularly do gsf on dm and see players come out of 20k damage is rare or get 1 or 2 medals often a lot of players have 0 medals. you do what for it is players you ignore them they do are below your criteria so will never end the weekly or daily it's really nice for them

we want people who want to learn and participate. Not leach off the others who do work hard.

it isnt hard to get medals. If you get zero, you dont even care about whats going on. my first match, i got medals. I cant recall a match where I got zero.

You should work to reap a reward.

Its not elitist to expect players to know the game they are playing.

Yeah, it takes time. We all were new once. This is a mode, you have to put time and effort in to be good at.

There are tons of places to get information on how to do it.

Seek and ye shall find.

Dont seek, and whine about how hard it is and you wont find it.

some rambling about medals

https://torcommunity.com/guides/gsf/galactic-starfighter-medals-list

Here you go! There's a list of medals. The easy ones are:

Combatant: deal 10k damage

Offense basic: capture 1 control point

Defense basic: defend a control point for 1 minute.

Harder, but not difficult:

Support: 4 assists.

Mechanic: 2k in repairs. hydrospanner will get you here if you're using it at all.

Assault: kill 2 turrets. They're stationary targets. Equip something with armor ignore and they're easy to kill. Not hard even if you don't.

Granted, most of those are only in domination, but even in TDM there are three medals you should be able to get with very minimal knowledge. 10k damage is a *very* low bar. Hydrospanner is easy to use. Just tag enemies and you'll get your assists. Hope this helps!

question why often in gsf matches the majority of players have between 0 and 3 medals because they are hard to have for new or inexperienced players, changing the system will penalize players who make few scores

oh no. it would be penalizing those who dont give a crap about the mode of game, but are there for CQ or some other unknown reason.

If you have flown ten matches, you know whats going on in GSF.

I care to play with others who care.

Not with others who dont give a flip about the out come.

oh no. it would be penalizing those who dont give a crap about the mode of game, but are there for CQ or some other unknown reason.

I care to play with others who care.

Not with others who dont give a flip about the out come.

Does GSF have so many players that you feel it could do with less, or do you care so little for GSF that you would rather have less GSF than have players not play the way you want them to?

Edited by powerofvoid

i will take less, if it means people actually PLAY the game.

Thats the end of it right there.

I do not care about those who do not want to take the time to learn to play, or just go in matches to do nothing.

There is exactly nothing wrong with what I think here.

Your thinking, however leaves a lot to be desired.

This mode is easier now than it had been in the past.

It does not take much to contribute, and that is what ALL veterans want.

We even have things set up so you can look for information easily.

If you are too lazy to look it up, practice or what ever. Thats on you. Not the game.

GSF has been around since 2013, and it isnt doing that badly. Its demise has been touted many times, yet here it is.

Yeah, it takes time. We all were new once. This is a mode, you have to put time and effort in to be good at.

And this is exactly why new players should get a big juicy carrot to tempt them to spend the time. GSF can be ruthless for a new player, especially if they get matched against a veteran pilot. So much that many people stop playing after their first match, I've seen this quite often when trying to get guildies into GSF. Sadly, it's too easy to lose interest when your first experiences are soul crushing. Having a tangible reward for enduring a horrible experience makes it a slightly less bitter pill to swallow.

Becoming a better pilot is not just about watching GSF School or reading Vulkk's guide, it's also about flying. You need to spend time flying, experience all the different mechanics, be confused as to what the heck did just happen, then look it up on the web and find an explanation. The game sucks at telling you what happened, so learning is a slower process than it could be. And that's definitely on the game.

With time, a pilot that gets more experience and gets better will start to enjoy the game. We like to take part in activities that we are good at. And we tend to avoid activities we are not good at. I don't recall much about my first match, I know it was a very confusing and frustrating experience, but since it was during a double XP event, I got a ton of XP from it. That made me queue again, and again, until I got a slight idea about what was going on. Shortly after I started looking up information about GSF and that helped me understand why I suddenly blew up from 15k away or why I couldn't use my engine ability. And I've been flying ever since. But if it weren't for that big juicy carrot, I might not have.

As Stradlin mentioned earlier, a fun match is a match where both teams are evenly split in terms of skill. For this to work, the matchmaker needs a large enough pool of pilots of various skill levels to be able to create a match with equally skilled players. In particular, this often isn't a thing when it comes to aces and veterans, so you end up with teams full of new players where one ace gets 35 kills. This might be mildly amusing for the ace, but it gets old after a while. It's certainly not fun for the opposite team. Ever since the CQ changes, I've had way more evenly skilled teams where during the whole TDM match there's a difference of 2 points. Seems there's a lot more veteran pilots flying now, names you didn't use to see a year ago.

I strongly disagree with this statement. After ten matches, at most you have a basic understanding of the controls. Would probably take a hundred or two hundred matches to actually know what's going on most of the time.

I strongly disagree with this statement. After ten matches, at most you have a basic understanding of the controls. Would probably take a hundred or two hundred matches to actually know what's going on most of the time.

Agreed. I started off GSF by running the daily every day for a week or two on each of about ten characters, and that still only got me to feeling like I sometimes knew what was going on. (but it got my alts a lot of levels!)

...Because far too many people are just sitting on satellites, allowing themselves to be killed, not helping the team.

I get the need for CQ points. But you're in an MMO - other people are playing, remember? Things you do affect others, and their enjoyment of the game. You may not like GSF but other people do, and your rather selfish approach dampens the games. If you want CQ points, do something you enjoy? Preferably PvE based? You can easily grab points in other ways.

Mild rant over. Carry on.

If I'm being brutally honest I want to see better players because the competition level has dropped severely.

But I'm also aware that GSF on satele was so limited I considered moving most of my roster. I hate the leechers but I remember it being worse in 5.0 and that was with even less offered to entice them.

Conditional isn't necessarily bad but kills/damage is a poor evaluation. Most players only do a fraction of the damage I deal over the course of a match. A lot of the time the players just aren't very good, and that's been a problem for gsf since before my time in it.