Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

New female companions in a story update would probably be lesbian imo, because there's already female romance comps for males and it'd be less work that way, on the other hand BW might want all players to experience *everything* about a new comp so they could the "bi" route, they'd have to make new male comps "bi" too then or it'd be sending a bad straight male centric message imo.

I want new comps, give me lesbian Visas Marr for a sith toon yay.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New female companions in a story update would probably be lesbian imo, because there's already female romance comps for males and it'd be less work that way, on the other hand BW might want all players to experience *everything* about a new comp so they could the "bi" route, they'd have to make new male comps "bi" too then or it'd be sending a bad straight male centric message imo.

I want new comps, give me lesbian Visas Marr for a sith toon yay.

Problem there is, we have all the original companions straight, the new ones Bisexual....

Where are the Gay and Lesbian characters?

I'd just like to say that I would gladly re-roll my level 47 Bounty Hunter from level 1 if it means I get to romance Mako with her.

Though to be fair, I would be happy to romance Gault instead. He's quite appealing, compared to Blondie Honortard.

Problem there is, we have all the original companions straight, the new ones Bisexual....

Where are the Gay and Lesbian characters?

There are existing companions who are currently unavailable for opposite-gender romances, despite being what you might call suitable. I would imagine some of those will be your same-sex only options. For example, Talos Drellik is not available to female Sith Inquisitors, despite being human and (seemingly) rather keen on his boss. He's one of the companions I suspect will be SGRA-only when it's patched in.

On the subject of bisexual companions, I think it would be nice to have some who are. I'm not for a moment suggesting that all companions available for SGRA in the future should be, but some representation would be appreciated.

There are existing companions who are currently unavailable for opposite-gender romances, despite being what you might call suitable. I would imagine some of those will be your same-sex only options. For example, Talos Drellik is not available to female Sith Inquisitors, despite being human and (seemingly) rather keen on his boss. He's one of the companions I suspect will be SGRA-only when it's patched in.

Almost 100% of those unavailable characters are male. The only two unavailable "females" I can think of off the top of my head are LS Jaesa and SCORPIO (who is the reason for the inverted commas around the word females earlier in the sentence). The former probably doesn't count because her DS self is available to male SWs, and the latter doesn't count since she is a droid. So they're probably going to have to make one or more existing female companions PCsexual (or bisexual), and/or introduce one or more new female companions.

I'd be VERY surprised if they made LS Jaesa same sex only, by the way, for the unfortunate implications that would create. (On the other hand, my SW, Myren, wouldn't be at all upset for LS Jaesa to fall into her arms.)

On the subject of bisexual companions, I think it would be nice to have some who are. I'm not for a moment suggesting that all companions available for SGRA in the future should be, but some representation would be appreciated.

This. (But keep in mind they only have limited resources.)

Almost 100% of those unavailable characters are male. The only two unavailable "females" I can think of off the top of my head are LS Jaesa and SCORPIO (who is the reason for the inverted commas around the word females earlier in the sentence). The former probably doesn't count because her DS self is available to male SWs, and the latter doesn't count since she is a droid. So they're probably going to have to make one or more existing female companions PCsexual (or bisexual), and/or introduce one or more new female companions.

I'd be VERY surprised if they made LS Jaesa same sex only, by the way, for the unfortunate implications that would create. (On the other hand, my SW, Myren, wouldn't be at all upset for LS Jaesa to fall into her arms.)

This. (But keep in mind they only have limited resources.)

I'll find a way to hook SCORPIO up with HK when we get him. :D

Yes, I noticed this when I was going through the list of companions. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case that the male SGRA options are all gay and all the females are bisexual, since that doesn't have the best of implications. I'm not accusing Bioware of anything here, especially since we still don't know exactly what will happen, but I do think these things do need to at least be mentioned.

I understand Bioware do not have unlimited resources to pour into this, but obviously it does need to be done right. A situation that annoys lesbian women and/or bisexual men is not something I would like to see and I doubt it would do Bioware much good either. I'm thinking they plan to add in more female companions, since some classes are somewhat lacking in that department. My male SI has the option of romancing Ashara or... Ashara, and I can't stand the woman :D

Fingers crossed for more info now 1.3 is live!

I understand Bioware do not have unlimited resources to pour into this, but obviously it does need to be done right. A situation that annoys lesbian women and/or bisexual men is not something I would like to see and I doubt it would do Bioware much good either. I'm thinking they plan to add in more female companions, since some classes are somewhat lacking in that department. My male SI has the option of romancing Ashara or... Ashara, and I can't stand the woman :D

Fingers crossed for more info now 1.3 is live!

Hell's bells, every single class has more male companions than female ones - except maybe the IA, and it's debatable if SCORPIO completely counts. :D I agree that more companions would help balance things and I strongly agree that a SGR-only companion (for every class) would be an excellent idea. Sure, there'd be some complaining when people really wanted to romance the new companion and found they didn't swing that way, but as the ME3 thing shows, BioWare is more than used to loud complaints from people who can't stand that they didn't get exactly what they wanted.

...sorry, tangent.

Considering the limited time and resources, though, I still think odds are good we're only going to see SGRs with current companions this year; new companions for individual classes seems like too much work for anything less than an actual expansion. I well and truly hope BW gives every class at least one SGR option for each gender, which would mean that most if not all of the current female companions would be available.

And I feel your pain: my female SI has romance options of Andronikos and that's it. And he just seems too "Diet Coke of Evil" for her. :D Haven't met Ashara, but if she's a SGR option, in my headcanon, my SI will be corrupting her.

Here's hoping we get news on 1.4 soon. Remember: June ends on Saturday, so we're less than six months away from SGRs. :)

So ready for SGRA. I want to be more involved with my characters, but feel I can not until SGRA is implemented. I love this game and want to play more, but I am frustrated and feel kinda of cheated that I can not romance my lady companions. Hope 1.4 brings good news.

So ready for SGRA. I want to be more involved with my characters, but feel I can not until SGRA is implemented. I love this game and want to play more, but I am frustrated and feel kinda of cheated that I can not romance my lady companions. Hope 1.4 brings good news.

My feelings exactly.

Here's hoping we get news on 1.4 soon. Remember: June ends on Saturday, so we're less than six months away from SGRs. :)

Whoah, wait, what? There's definitive evidence of this? Not being snarky - is this for real? Wow, I really must have been asleep at the switch. Is there a link to an interview or something? I didn't think BioWare would pull the cards away from the vest this quickly. :eek:

I have a question:

If SGR's are going to be added to existing companions (the opposite to what I was told back in January) what happens to people who have already hit 10k affection with those companions? From the way Bioware's handled everything else recently (i.e. turning stuff off rather than attempting to fix it) will we be sod out of luck?

I want to romance Vector, but I've gone through all of the conversations with him as I was initially informed SGR's would not be available for existing companions.

Thirded. I've already reached the point with one character I love playing (my SI) where I've had to stop playing her because I don't want to miss out on starting a SGR, or just flirting, with the only female companion she gets. It'll be the same with my JC, once I finish chapter 2 with her. And I don't want to even play my BH or JK until SGRs are in, because Mako and Kira are my top two hopes for SGRs. Hopefully we'll get some news soon, because I really don't like not being able to play these characters.

Whoah, wait, what? There's definitive evidence of this? Not being snarky - is this for real? Wow, I really must have been asleep at the switch. Is there a link to an interview or something? I didn't think BioWare would pull the cards away from the vest this quickly. :eek:

Don't panic. :D BioWare said that SGRs will be coming with the story update, which is coming this year. So unless BW waits until December 31st to drop that update, we'll be getting SGRs at some point within the next six months. I linked to the part of the guild summit where they confirm this in my post on the first page of this thread, take a look there.

I have a question:

If SGR's are going to be added to existing companions (the opposite to what I was told back in January) what happens to people who have already hit 10k affection with those companions? From the way Bioware's handled everything else recently (i.e. turning stuff off rather than attempting to fix it) will we be sod out of luck?

I want to romance Vector, but I've gone through all of the conversations with him as I was initially informed SGR's would not be available for existing companions.

BioWare has not said which companions will be available for SGRs; we don't know if it will be with current companions or new ones. However, in the guild summit video, they say that they know which companions they want to do SGRs for, the ones that it makes sense for. This implies that it's pre-existing companions, but unfortunately doesn't outright state it.

As for hitting 10K affection, I recently got Elara's affection that high on my Trooper, and was treated to seven or eight companion missions in a row when I finished chapter 2. I'm guessing that, if a companion you have high affection becomes romanceable, you too will get a bunch of romance missions in a row. That seems to be the way the companion mission system works - you get missions when you pass a certain level of affection or a certain point in the story, and if you've passed both, you'll get even more missions. The only problem I can think of is if there's something preventing the companions from being marked as romanceable once they've already joined you. But hopefully that won't be the case, and if it was, I'm sure BioWare would have found a way to fix it.

Edited by MusedMoose

My feelings exactly.

Thirded. I've already reached the point with one character I love playing (my SI) where I've had to stop playing her because I don't want to miss out on starting a SGR, or just flirting, with the only female companion she gets. It'll be the same with my JC, once I finish chapter 2 with her. And I don't want to even play my BH or JK until SGRs are in, because Mako and Kira are my top two hopes for SGRs. Hopefully we'll get some news soon, because I really don't like not being able to play these characters.

Thanks for response. I have 3 characters, and been playing mainly on my 50 SW. Been focusing on making money on my SW, and not advancing my other two (BH/IA) storyline. Ugh!!! Just want to vent, seems like we have been waiting for SGR for ever.

I got two things coming that I' so looking forward to... SGR's this year and hopefully soon Cathar as playable race. I can just imagine my female Cather SW with her face all scrunched up in ecstasy as Vette scratches her under her chin while saying, "My aren't you the cutest little Sith Lord I've ever seen!"

I got two things coming that I' so looking forward to... SGR's this year and hopefully soon Cathar as playable race.

Heck, I'd be happy with a Cathar as a same-gender romantic interest. ;)

I have been away. I take it that nothing has actually been said one way or another on same-gender [Flirt] options? Maybe I should go digging for old posts, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here, too.

I have been away. I take it that nothing has actually been said one way or another on same-gender [Flirt] options? Maybe I should go digging for old posts, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here, too.

They should just stick a fourth option into conversations which is pure [Flirt] - doesn't men you can sleep with everyone, just flirt. It'd be funny to see NPCs shooting your character down or eventually succumbing to your charms.

I got two things coming that I' so looking forward to... SGR's this year and hopefully soon Cathar as playable race. I can just imagine my female Cather SW with her face all scrunched up in ecstasy as Vette scratches her under her chin while saying, "My aren't you the cutest little Sith Lord I've ever seen!"

...well, that just decided my future female SW's race. Thank you. :D

We haven't had a word on that, no. I think the original thread is still open, still gets a post now and then. BW did say in the blog post about 1.3 that there's a lot more coming up this year and they specifically pointed out there's stuff they haven't even talked about, so we can only hope same-gender [Flirt] prompts are part of that. While it will be great to see SGRs in the game, it would be a real shame if same-sex stuff was restricted only to companion romances.

Personally, I don't plan to use the SGR option, but I don't have any problem with it being implemented--as long as it doesn't take way from strait romances in the game (like, suddenly making Quinn gay and taking away the female romance option, for example). I'm all for more romance options in the game. My preference would be that pretty much every companion be romanceable by whoever the player decides to make their character. (Well, maybe not the less humanoid ones, although even those could be amusing.) I'd just really love to see the options regarding companion quests and relationships expanded as much as possible, and not limited. There are some companions who aren't currently romanceable but I'd like them to be, and it would be disappointing to have them same gender only romances.

I like the third option given by the OP, of a player choosing right after (or at) character creation whether this character is straight/gay/bi, if that would help determine which companions are romance options. Whatever way they do it, though, what I really want is no-limits options for romancing. (Actually, it would be nice even to have the option to romance more than one character at a time, because I do have one character who would probably romance everyone on his ship, man, woman, and other, if he could.)

Edited by MollyDresden

Bioware, i personally wouldnt mind if you put this on the back burner. There are alot of issues that would come before this in my opinion. Infact, im not sure we realy need clarification. Just as long as its "Coming Soon" im happy.

Hmm.... I also would not mind this but if you really want same gender romance become a girl so you can romance a male companion and become a boy if you want to romance a girl companion. Is it that hard?