Acquisition Changes: Next PTS Patch

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Unfortunately we were not able to get the newest PTS patch with the acquisition changes in this week, but we are targeting early next week. In the meantime, let me talk you through what is coming in this round of changes as quite a bit is changing. I will also try to provide some context around these decisions where possible.

Targeting Gear

We talked about this in the last post but just to reiterate: we hear your concerns about gear dropping too randomly and so we are introducing mechanisms to work towards exactly what you want (with one change from last post). Here is what is available in this patch:

• New vendors will sell almost every set tactical and set bonus for tech fragments and credits.
  • The only items not included on the vendors are set bonus and tacticals that drop directly in Corellia and Dxun, crafted sets and tacticals, and the Onderon Reputation vendor set.
    • Corellia and Dxun items can still drop as personal loot anywhere in the game, but they are direct bonus drops in their respective content.
    • The Corellia and Dxun items will be added to the vendors in a future patch.
    • New items in the future will also appear as targeted drops before appearing on the vendor. These new items can sometimes coincide with new content, other times will just be used to give new drops to existing content (this can include anything: Warzones, Ops, FPs, Heroics, Events, etc)

[*]Kai Zykken will sell a sampling of set bonuses and tacticals at a reduced price, so you have a reason to check his wares every week.

[*]In addition, almost every content type in the game has targeted drop tables. The bonus loot that drops from that content pulls from a specific set of items. Massive info dump at the bottom of the post.

Here are the details on the Corellia and Dxun drops:

Corellia - These items will be bonus drops (in addition to personal loot) from killing any boss in the Flashpoint. Drop chance increases based on difficulty.

• Preserver’s Set (each piece drops individually)
  • Luck Always Changes Tactical

Dxun - These items will be bonus drops (in addition to personal loot) from killing specific bosses in the Operation. Drop chance increases based on difficulty. The following sets drop from Dxun bosses:

• Operative / Scoundrel - Authority
  • Sniper / Gunslinger - Outlaws
  • Merc / Commando - Apex Predator
  • PT / Vanguard - Veteran Ranger
  • Assassin / Shadow - Rebuking Assault
  • Sorc / Sage - Endless Offensive
  • Jugg / Guardian - Flawless Riposte
  • Mara / Sentinel - Culling Blade

Specific slots drop as follows:

• Boss 1 - Chest
  • Boss 2 - Boots
  • Boss 3 - Gloves
  • Boss 4 - Helm
  • Boss 5 - Pants
  • All bosses - Belt and Bracers

Moddable Gear

We have definitely heard concerns about the lack of mods and moddable gear as you progress through the vertical progression in Onslaught. There is one thing I want to reiterate as you consider your feedback for loot acquisition. It is our goal that your vertical progression will happen very quickly and consistently. We expect you are going to replace gear pieces very often until you hit 306, let us know if that is not the case.

We know many of you use modded armor pieces (often with augments) and so will have a desire to move mods around through your gear. This is especially true for weapons since they are currently not in appearance designer. Here are the changes we are making:

• All weapons will now be moddable, and drop with mods included.
    • This includes both drops and purchased weapons.

[*]Takatta will now sell mods by type.

• Reminder that anything you purchase from Takatta will always be for your current Discipline and of a higher rating than your character's current average.

[*]The starter gear you receive for completing the Onslaught story (full 268 set) was previously static, it will now be moddable with mods included.

[*]More mods will be dropping in general.

Thank you for your continued feedback! Look for our next PTS patch early next week - all of these changes will be implemented with that patch.

-eric

PS - If you want to target specific item drops, this list covers what items drop from what content types. Reminder, this is not fully implemented onto PTS.

To start, just a reminder… the vast majority of loot you will get is personal loot. Personal loot can include any item in the game (barring the crafted and Onderon sets and tacticals) so you do not have to run the content listed below to get that drop. This allows you to gear up entirely by playing whatever you want. Also as mentioned above, most sets and tacticals can be purchased directly.

Everything listed below are bonus loot drops in addition to your personal drops. Specifics are subject to change; we will publish a final list at launch.

Daily / Weekly Missions

Drops in the crate awarded from completing Daily and Weekly Missions of any type.

Sets

• Probe Tech
  • Squad Leader
  • Taskmaster’s
  • The Final Breath
  • Trishin’s Retort
  • Stationary Grit
  • The Entertainer’s
  • Soulbender’s
  • Descent of the Fearless

Tacticals

• Durasteel Wall
  • Biorhythm
  • Greased Lightning
  • Rolling Boil
  • Reliquary of Time
  • Artistic Insights
  • T0-R0 Ionic Discharge
  • Sniper Siege
  • Ultraviolet Blast
  • Power Cycle
  • Flying Fists
  • Friend of the Force
  • Storm's Succor
  • A Healing Hand
  • Ticking Force Bomb
  • Slow Mercy
  • Leviathan's Hide
  • No Time for Fools
  • Spiteful Saber
  • Defel Gene Splicing
  • The Prosecution
  • Perseverance

Conquest Crates

Drop in both the personal and Guild crates earned each week from Conquests.

Sets

• The Slow Road
  • Tactician
  • Precise Targeter
  • Hunter Killer
  • Tech Medic
  • Right Price
  • The Victor
  • Amplified Champion
  • Dire Retaliation
  • Efficient Termination
  • Death Knell
  • Saber Master
  • Empowered Restorer
  • Revitalized Mystic
  • The Undying

Tacticals

• The Life Warden
  • Chant of Regeneration
  • Higher Focus
  • Hidden Power
  • Jettison
  • Surgical Shiv
  • Sonic Heal
  • Kolto Bombardment
  • An Explosive Return

Flashpoints

Bonus group loot drop, typically off of the last boss. Increased drop chance based on difficulty.

Sets

• Preserver (Corellia only)
  • Stimulated

Tacticals

• Luck Always Changes (Corellia only)
  • Explosive Cells
  • Catalyzed Toxins
  • Regenerative Waves
  • Ward of the Continuum
  • Blade of the Elements
  • Severance Pay
  • Ruthless Interrogation
  • Hord's Masashi Strike
  • Syn's Second Amulet
  • Cut to Pieces
  • B-0 Differential Targeting System
  • Airborne Agents
  • Burning Bright
  • Thirsty Blade
  • Fanged God Form
  • Rocket Fuel Vapors
  • Thermal Nuclear Fusion
  • HP-5 Dart Device
  • Magnetized Shrapnel
  • Energized Charges
  • Flame Detonation
  • Superheated Fuel
  • Acid Lash
  • Synox Shots
  • Diagnositcs Probe
  • Hotswap
  • Ancient Tome of Wrath
  • May Cause Injury
  • Two Time Trouble
  • Energized Blade
  • Flame Dissipation
  • Thermal Screen
  • One For All
  • Refraction Point
  • Element Convention
  • Tempest of Rho
  • Hemophilic Slash
  • Stormwatch
  • RSVP: Plus One
  • The Rushdown
  • Malmourral Mask
  • Tomb of Smashacre
  • Enrage Crush
  • Force Barter

Operations

Bonus group loot drop, can drop from any boss. Increased drop chance based on difficulty (typically a higher bonus on the last boss).

Sets

• Authority (Dxun Only)
  • Outlaws (Dxun Only)
  • Apex Predator (Dxun Only)
  • Veteran Ranger (Dxun Only)
  • Rebuking Assault (Dxun Only)
  • Endless Offensive (Dxun Only)
  • Flawless Riposte (Dxun Only)
  • Culling Blade (Dxun Only)
  • Aggressive Treatment
  • Established Foothold
  • Notorious
  • Double Time
  • Berserkers
  • Shadow Purger
  • Gathering Storm
  • Lord of Pain
  • Dashing Blademaster

Tacticals

• Shroud of a Shadow
  • The Awakened Flame
  • Quick Escalation
  • Jaw Breaker
  • Joiner's Pressure
  • A Vicious Cycle
  • Internal Strike
  • Andeddu's Malevolence
  • Running Rapid Restoration
  • Primed Ignition
  • Continuous Fire
  • Volatile Strike
  • Viral Elements
  • Critical Surgery
  • Powerlode
  • Explosive Weaponry
  • Oil Fire
  • MG-2 Polygrade Dispersal Caps
  • Agitating Energies
  • Exploited Weakness
  • All for One
  • Elryin's Haste
  • Mystic's Ruthless Blade
  • Cauterized Coronary

Warzones

Bonus drop in addition to your personal loot, rewarded in your crate from completing a Warzone of any kind.

Sets

• Quick Thinker
  • Debilitator
  • Repositioning
  • Game Plan
  • Concentrated Fire
  • Strategist
  • Avenger
  • Decelerator
  • Murderous Revelation
  • Perfect Form
  • Nimble Master
  • Tormented

Tacticals

• Double Cloak
  • Rancor's Tail
  • Grevious Wounds
  • Cool Your Jets
  • Augmented Holocomm
  • Second Contract
  • CS-3 Velocity Holo-Dampener
  • Endless Barrier

Onderon Reputation Vendor

Set

• Dying Precision

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a step in the right direction at the very least. Though I can't say more until that is actually implemented. Props on finally including the moddable gear though, sometimes the mods I used to get from Command Crates were better than my current one but the enhancement/armoring wasn't that much better. I was afraid this would happen again. Thanks for listening to the feedback instead of outright ignoring us, now to see whether these changes will make progressing feel more rewarding.

Small correction though, you call Dxun a Flashpoint not an Operation in

Dxun - These items will be bonus drops (in addition to personal loot) from killing specific bosses in the Flashpoint. Drop chance increases based on difficulty. The following sets drop from Dxun bosses:

Edited by FlameYOL

Specific slots drop as follows:

• Boss 1 - Chest
  • Boss 2 - Boots
  • Boss 3 - Gloves
  • Boss 4 - Helm
  • Boss 5 - Pants
  • All bosses - Belt and Bracers

-eric

Thanks for the post Eric!

How will the ops drops work in non-5 boss ops;

EC has 4, SnV 7

Edited by Elssha

What I have gathered -

Ways of getting specific items - this sounds like an improvement.

That said I still feel you are being over ambitious and creating an overcomplicated and overly difficult system. Play your way is a great concept, however, all I really wanted was to be able to get whatever gear was best however I played. I never said I wanted 30 different choices of set bonuses, or to be able to retoll some ridiculously unexplained supposedly meaningless but still noticeable (whatever that means) extra bonus stat only gear.

All I really wanted was to get whatever gear was best doing whatever I wanted to and move along to playing what I want to play. I don't play your game wanting or needing endless gear thrown at me. I'm a simplier person than that.

I also notice mentions of continuing to add gear through the expansion. Have you learned absolutely nothing from adding 248/252/258 gear?

And finally, I have no idea how you intend to get this overly complicated and next to impossible to balance system completely ready in a month.

• Dev Post
Thanks for the post Eric!

How will the ops drops work in non-5 boss ops;

EC has 4, SnV 7

Good question, I realize I may not have been clear there. That section you highlighted only applies to Dxun. All other Ops bosses can drop from the entire Operations pool, not slot specific.

-eric

Dear Eric,

I am completely confused with this new gearing system. :confused::(

Please read my feedback in this sub-forum. There are some indications why I am confused. E. g. what exactly do amplifiers do and why do we need them? Inside the game, there is no information or explanation about this, and I believe that everything within the game needs to be clear and understandable within the game.

Edited by JattaGin

Good question, I realize I may not have been clear there. That section you highlighted only applies to Dxun. All other Ops bosses can drop from the entire Operations pool, not slot specific.

-eric

No. Nobody asked you to change this. AGAIN. Fixed loot on all bosses of all operations. Seriously, nobody wanted you to change that.

This really isn't all that much better and still not what players are asking for. Also why do we need so many damn sets of gear? There's just too much. At this point why not just get rid of gear sets since tacticals and amps basically seem to be the customizeable part anyways. Having a multitude of gear sets just makes balancing even more awkward.

• Dev Post
What I have gathered -

Ways of getting specific items - this sounds like an improvement.

That said I still feel you are being over ambitious and creating an overcomplicated and overly difficult system. Play your way is a great concept, however, all I really wanted was to be able to get whatever gear was best however I played. I never said I wanted 30 different choices of set bonuses, or to be able to retoll some ridiculously unexplained supposedly meaningless but still noticeable (whatever that means) extra bonus stat only gear.

All I really wanted was to get whatever gear was best doing whatever I wanted to and move along to playing what I want to play. I don't play your game wanting or needing endless gear thrown at me. I'm a simplier person than that.

I also notice mentions of continuing to add gear through the expansion. Have you learned absolutely nothing from adding 248/252/258 gear?

And finally, I have no idea how you intend to get this overly complicated and next to impossible to balance system completely ready in a month.

You bring up some good points and questions I want to try to address.

Overcomplicated - I realize that these really long posts about spoils of war make it seem really complex. Most of this is born out of the fact that we are just being very open about all of the workings under the hood, which we don't typically do. To address your feedback directly think of it this way:

Play whatever content you want, you will get constant gear for whatever you are playing. If you don't get the thing you want, go to the vendor and buy it.

It is just that simple. If you want to really get into the inner workings, then the info is there for you!

Learning from adding 248+ - Let me clarify. When I say adding new gear we are not talking about vertical (higher item ratings). I am talking about horizontal (more set bonuses / tactical options).

-eric

It is just that simple. If you want to really get into the inner workings, then the info is there for you!

Where?

Where do I find this info?

Ingame, I mean.

Not on some external source.

I don't understand amplifiers. I don't understand tacticals. I don't understand why there are so many different new gear pieces on the PTS. I don't understand why moddable gear with green mods in it is golden instead of green. I don't understand why an armor piece shows me a green arrow up, even though it has lower stats compared to the equipped item.

None of this is explained IN THE GAME. Or if it is, it is not clear enough where to find this information. Please point me to it. Throw a forced tutorial at me or something. I need some explanation to understand what is happening.

If you need to read various lengthy forum posts from you devs about something, it's too complicated. Most players won't do that.

The game has to be understood from WITHIN the game.

Currently on the PTS, it doesn't. I don't get it. Check my history. You know I've been here all along. But boy, you got me completely confused with this new gearing system. You might think it is easy, but for me, it really isn't.

Where?

Ingame, I mean.

I don't understand amplifiers. I don't understand tacticals. I don't understand why there are so many different new gear pieces on the PTS. I don't understand why moddable gear with green mods in it is golden instead of green. I don't understand why an armor piece shows me a green arrow up, even though it has lower stats compared to the equipped item.

None of this is explained IN THE GAME. Or if it is, it is not clear enough where to find this information. Please point me to it. Throw a forced tutorial at me or something. I need some explanation to understand what is happening.

If you need to read various lengthy forum posts from you devs about something, it's too complicated. Most players won't do that.

Currently on the PTS, it doesn't. I don't get it. Check my history. You know I've been here all along. But boy, you got me completely confused with this new gearing system. You might think it is easy, but for me, it really isn't.

Tacticals are easy. I don't think they need explanation.

1. Acquire tactical from vendor or random drop.

2. Insert tactical piece into the gear slot labeled "tactical" on your character sheet.

3. Find more tacticals and decide which one you like best, then equip it.

Green gear.

I don't understand the color scheme yet either. Green has typically meant garbage and it's difficult to differentiate between pieces. Thanks goodness they put an up arrow on the gear that is an improvement, otherwise I would simply destroy them.

Set bonuses.

Same as current game... just more and different options.

Amplifiers.

Just ignore these.... they offer more complicated options, and are for min/max'ing your gear.

Hopefully for new players and returning players there will be an ingame tutorial alert when 6.0 launches (like every other expansion!) to explain new features/gameplay/

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Where?

Ingame, I mean.

I'd like this explained too. Maybe give us some links to click on if the info is on the forums somewhere.

I'd like this explained too. Maybe give us some links to click on if the info is on the forums somewhere.

Are you serious? This really disappoints me coming from you -- a regular forum spammer. You can read and post in all the forum drama threads, but can't be bothered to read the dev tracker?! Have you not read the Class forums? There is literally a Musco thread for each class/spec, explaining what they're looking for in Tacticals and Set Bonus ideas. Here is one for example: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=962790. From APRIL!!!! They have also done at least two livestreams/Q&A's explaining gearing and Onslaught.

If you've ever done any QA work, a lot of the "beta" content is counter-intuitive. But if you have a remotely curious mind, you should be able to figure stuff out. Stop being mentally lazy.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

No. Nobody asked you to change this. AGAIN. Fixed loot on all bosses of all operations. Seriously, nobody wanted you to change that.

I too was hoping that meant slot-specific drops from each boss... esp since they'll still be random as far as who it's for (no tokens to trade in for what you want, like the glorious 4.0 system... that was kinda stitched onto 5.0 to fix it) >_<

Are you serious? This really disappoints me coming from you -- a regular forum spammer. You can read and post in all the forum drama threads, but can't be bothered to read the dev tracker?! Have you not read the Class forums? There is literally a Musco thread for each class/spec, explaining what they're looking for in Tacticals and Set Bonus ideas. Here is one for example: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=962790. From APRIL!!!! They have also done at least two livestreams/Q&A's explaining gearing and Onslaught.

If you've ever done any QA work, a lot of the "beta" content is counter-intuitive. But if you have a remotely curious mind, you should be able to figure stuff out. Stop being mentally lazy.

You know what's lazy? Being in a position with information at your fingertips and telling others the information is there, go find it. Sure, it's out there, but it's convoluted, oft-changing, and not easy to pin down.

I'd like to see where all this information is at for us to find, just point me in the direction of most recent info available. Thanks!

Edited by Lhancelot

• Dev Post
*snip*

Green gear.

I don't understand the color scheme yet either. Green has typically meant garbage and it's difficult to differentiate between pieces. Thanks goodness they put an up arrow on the gear that is an improvement, otherwise I would simply destroy them.

*snip

I can help add some clarification here, as some of this has changed in Onslaught. Previously, all moddable and MTX gear appeared as orange quality gear. In Onslaught, only MTX items will be orange quality. All other quality color is determined by the highest quality component (so the shell, or any mods within). If you have a green quality shell with a purple quality armoring, it appears purple, etc.

Also, there has been some frustration around green gear dropping at all. Think of Onslaught gearing as one single tier (as if it was one of the tier bands in GC). When you first enter Onslaught you will be getting green drops. You will quickly get to an item rating where blue items start dropping and once that happens, you will no longer get green drops. This is true up through purple, etc. (for clarity I am referencing color instead of quality here).

-eric

You bring up some good points and questions I want to try to address.

Overcomplicated - I realize that these really long posts about spoils of war make it seem really complex. Most of this is born out of the fact that we are just being very open about all of the workings under the hood, which we don't typically do. To address your feedback directly think of it this way:

Play whatever content you want, you will get constant gear for whatever you are playing. If you don't get the thing you want, go to the vendor and buy it.

Learning from adding 248+ - Let me clarify. When I say adding new gear we are not talking about vertical (higher item ratings). I am talking about horizontal (more set bonuses / tactical options).

-eric

Thank you, Eric. Although you and the developers might be tempted to believe that there is a massive backlash against the gearing process, please note that there are also people here who feel this is (a) perfectly reasonable and (b) fairly obvious already. I certainly don't think the sky is falling and that it's fairly obvious we're going to be getting so much gear as to make it kind of ridiculous... at least that's the intent. And I still have to wonder why getting max gear as rapidly as possible is so important to people, but that's just me.

Eric, another suggestion which might ease the concerns surrounding RNG. Corellia will have specific drops, why not have each flashpoint have a specific drop as well? Or at the very least a higher chance of X drop. Like for example maybe Hammer Station drops X set bonus or Y Tactical item.

As for the raids, why not have specific, or higher chance for raid drops in other raids as well? With each boss dropping a piece? Adding those might ease the concern of the playerbase. Only reason I can think of is that you guys want endgamers to mostly gear through Dxun or that you guys really want the "play your way" philosophy into the game's design so people can get any gear from anywhere, which is fair but it might be a pain to people who aren't always running Dxun (New raid and all so it'll take a while for PUGs to be able to easily clear it) as well as the possibility of RNG not giving raiders what they want/require in terms of gear progression. Can you at the very least add a higher chance for certain set bonuses to drop on specific raids? Are those an option?

Edited by FlameYOL

My thoughts are that the latest iteration of gearing is a big improvement on the first version and I look forward to testing it next week.

My one suggestion based on the original post is regarding the focused gearing with conquests and flashpoints. Since conquests will only drop two items per character a week, the loot table seems to have a lot of sets. I'm not sure conquest rewards are a good fit for multiple sets since it's going to take a lot of weeks to complete a set with conquests.

Flashpoints have a large number of tacticals but since traditionally they were an entry point for operations I'd like the number of sets available expanded to include a generic tank, heal and, DPS set. This would give tanks and healers a reason to queue and get their first set bonus before moving onto operations. Plus flashpoints can be run many times and are therefore more suited to the larger loot table that sets bring.

While the chase is fun, at some point I want it to simply catch the fox.

I.e. I do not play this game to grind gear

I've been repeating content endlessly for the last what 7 years? If I wasn't ok with this, why would I still be giving you money? besides what, gear is not content, and I dont appreciate having the new content shoved down my throat by scenarios like ossus. As I've said many times, I'd do ossus many more times if you hadn't added gear to it. Ossus was pleasurable enough as the first new story content in years, why ruin it with pointless gear?

Further, the point of the amplifiers is still not clear to me. They were stated to be small stat adjustments that arent included in balance totals but are just for customization and min/maxing.

If this can be min/maxed by very definition they arent irrelevant as the entire point of min/maxing is to do the most (or minimum) of something. If this is the case, include it in the balance total and say it's a credit sink. If these are truly meaningless, get rid of them. Otherwise explain the middle ground.

Edited by KendraP

Moddable Gear

We have definitely heard concerns about the lack of mods and moddable gear as you progress through the vertical progression in Onslaught. There is one thing I want to reiterate as you consider your feedback for loot acquisition. It is our goal that your vertical progression will happen very quickly and consistently. We expect you are going to replace gear pieces very often until you hit 306, let us know if that is not the case.

We know many of you use modded armor pieces (often with augments) and so will have a desire to move mods around through your gear. This is especially true for weapons since they are currently not in appearance designer. Here are the changes we are making:

• All weapons will now be moddable, and drop with mods included.
    • This includes both drops and purchased weapons.

[*]Takatta will now sell mods by type.

• Reminder that anything you purchase from Takatta will always be for your current Discipline and of a higher rating than your character's current average.

[*]The starter gear you receive for completing the Onslaught story (full 268 set) was previously static, it will now be moddable with mods included.

[*]More mods will be dropping in general.

Eric, while this helps with issues for moddable weapons, there are still some other problems with moddable gear that must be addressed and fixed/adjusted before 6.0 goes live.

There is just too much RNG involved with moddable gear and set bonus items and how badly designed it is.

When moddable/set bonus gear is obtained (from a drop, or a vendor) there is RNG to determin everything about each mod in that gear piece individually. So you have.

• RNG to determine the iLevel rating of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the version of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the 20+ variants of the mod.
  • RNG to determine the amplifier on the mod.

And all this for every piece of moddable gear available.

So the chances of each mod being at the same iLevel rating (unless you get the piece at lvl 270) are very slim. At iLevel 306, I have seen gear with a 306 armoring, 296 mod, and 284 enhancement, this issue alone means that most of the time when you get a moddable/set bonus piece it will be a downgrade in item rating from what you have.

This is an easy fix, please remove the RNG from the iLevel rating of each mod, so that all of the mods in a gear item are at the same iLevel rating. A iLevel 306 chest piece should have all 3 mods with a 306 rating.

The next issue is the 20 extra variations (R1-R20) of every type of mod that was added in. These are unwanted, not needed, and no one asked for them. The only reason they seem to be there is to punish the players and make an already long RNG grind even longer. Again this is on all moddable gear, from set bonus items, to weapons, and just regular moddble pieces. From 1.0-5.0 set bonus gear has always had the correct optimized mods in them that players need to min/max their stats. Now it's a 100% crap shoot if there will even be 1 mod that is of a usable, or upgraded level, let alone be the unlettered version that is needed.

Currently mods have 3 versions, unlettered, A, B. Why is there a need to add 20 extra variations of each type, each with inferior stats? This problem was already addressed in the 5.0 life cycle, as all moddable gear from CXP crates had the correct unlettered versions of the mods in them.

Again, this can be an easy fix. First, remove all of the R1-R20 variations, and go back to just the unlettered, A, and B types. Have it so that all set bonus gear has the correct, optimized, unlettered version of mods in them. Then you can have your RNG with normal non-set bonus moddable gear, and that gear can have a random chance for 1 of the 3 different versions of a mod.