Welcome to Game Update 2.1: Customization

I can easily buy a W7 with a fantastic nerd computer but I do not need to do so. First because WXP is indisputable one of best systems to run games non-DX10-11 and second because the game was running fine not 24 hours ago. So your comment is completely irrelevant, the game was stated as supporting XP and so will have to support XP.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on Australasian server but havn't logged on yet so not sure if this will effect me.

Is anyone in Australasia having log in / load issues?

Yes I'm on Dalborra and having the game vanish after hitting play

...to be fair alot of us may not have the additional funds to buy a new computer system at the moment, and they advertised support for Windows XP. Your comments are irrelevant.

My Windows XP machine was working fine 24 hours ago before the new update. No issues.

^^ This!!

Edited by Macropodmum

Crash to Desktop - WINXP style

Ok, so I did a system restore and the game loaded fine, but the new character customization screen is black and unusable. So I did a repair and now we are back to the crash when hitting play.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!

...to be fair alot of us may not have the additional funds to buy a new computer system at the moment, and they advertised support for Windows XP. Your comments are irrelevant.

My Windows XP machine was working fine 24 hours ago before the new update. No issues.

No it's not irrelevant. Nobody is asking you to buy a whole new computer. You just have to buy a new operating system which is different from a brand new computer. Irrelevant because it worked before? As, I said you are lucky it worked before.

Older OS cannot run newer games. This game came out over a year ago while it does support it. With new updates to the game the OS becomes even harder to maintain with the newer technology.

If you don't have the funds then that's fine. But don't expect a game to work with an old operating system.

For you people on XP: http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1958&gclid=CKDKyvndlrcCFYOo4AodkhIAvg

It's 70 bucks. Save up and upgrade. I should reiterate that they will support you through your XP issues. But expecting a miracle is your best bet. XP can for sure run this game to a point. You should really upgrade soon.

So you're suggesting ppl have to buy new OS cause of one game? What if they have internet bank? What if they have tons of work, music or whatever on PC? ye ye USB... Or what if they simply LIKE XP?

Would you also cause of one pair of shoes bought whole new wardrobe?

Fact is game supports XP, check system requirements and fact is it worked perfectly until this update.

Fact is also I still cannot log in and launcher says they "investigating" (lol love this word) problem SOME XP users experiences desktop crash. What desktop crash if launcher doesn't even start?

No it's not irrelevant. Nobody is asking you to buy a whole new computer. You just have to buy a new operating system which is different from a brand new computer. Irrelevant because it worked before? As, I said you are lucky it worked before.

Older OS cannot run newer games. This game came out over a year ago while it does support it. With new updates to the game the OS becomes even harder to maintain with the newer technology.

If you don't have the funds then that's fine. But don't expect a game to work with an old operating system.

For you people on XP: http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1958&gclid=CKDKyvndlrcCFYOo4AodkhIAvg

It's 70 bucks. Save up and upgrade. I should reiterate that they will support you through your XP issues. But expecting a miracle is your best bet. XP can for sure run this game to a point. You should really upgrade soon.

Your comment IS IRRELEVANT!! Telling people to go buy a new OS because BIOWARE didn't test their new update properly is flat out ridiculous. Everyone ran the game JUST FINE yesterday. You didn't tell them to upgrade yesterday did you? No. What if it was Win 7 that was causing the problem? Heh? Should everyone then upgrade to crappy Win 8 instead of Bioware fixing their game? Man, your comment is utter nonsense.

Yes, people CAN expect this game to "run on older OS" because it says "compatible with Win XP". I run SWTOR just fine with Win XP Pro 64bit, in full 1080 actually with settings on medium and high....until today. Now I cannot load the game at all. Who's fault is that? Biowares. I am not upgrading my entire PC just because of glitches or bugs from Bioware. This is Bioware, not me, who is the problem.

Furthermore, how does upgrading to WIn 7 fix the glitch? It doesn't. The glitch is still there. Maybe you should work for EA heh? They don't care about quality or fixing bugs. Just rushing out content and milking everyone to death with Cartel. That's why they are the most hated company 2 yrs in a row.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Sorry you guys do not understand how OS work. Expecting an old OS to run a newer game is a bit ridiculous. Yes, Bioware is to blame for the mishap. But expecting it to continue to run on a 10 year old OS isn't something I would recommend.

I'm not here to argue the point that it should work. Sure it should but as they continue to update the game do not expect perfection or it to continue to do so. If you cannot grasp how games and OS run together then I'm sorry to say you may be back here patch after patch.

Furthermore, how does upgrading to WIn 7 fix the glitch? It doesn't. The glitch is still there. Maybe you should work for EA heh? They don't care about quality or fixing bugs. Just rushing out content and milking everyone to death with Cartel. That's why they are the most hated company 2 yrs in a row.

I'm on Windows 7 and I have not experienced this "glitch" you speak of. Just because you do not like my solution or what I am saying doesn't mean you have to bash me for it.

Edited by spectreclees

Whoa, I came here to bash Cathar and the stupid dye pack lottery, but some of the nonsense I'm reading is going to force me to jump in.

From the game FAQ: "Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later"

That's it, end of story, that is what the game is advertised to run on, so it damn well better run on it.

Second, I can see a boatload of people who don't know crap about how an operating system works. The only real differences between XP and 7 is the amount of bloatware that Microsoft has stuffed into in order to give you the illusion you are buying something new. They are like EA in that way. Microsoft would love nothing more than to get you to drop $100 a year on their "franchise" and make little to know progress in efficiency. The fact that the game doesn't run on XP is not because XP is old, but due to a coding mistake by Bioware. They will fix it, I'm sure, but to hear people suggesting players should go out and buy 7 is the height of ridiculous comments.

Where the game first came out, there was problems running it on Windows 7 and they had to put out a workaround, should those people have been told "Maybe you should fall back to XP (nobody would ever suggest anyone fall back to Vista, not even Bioware and EA)?

Sorry you guys do not understand how OS work. Expecting an old OS to run a newer game is a bit ridiculous. Yes, Bioware is to blame for the mishap. But expecting it to continue to run on a 10 year old OS isn't something I would recommend.

I'm not here to argue the point that it should work. Sure it should but as they continue to update the game do not expect perfection or it to continue to do so. If you cannot grasp how games and OS run together then I'm sorry to say you may be back here patch after patch.

I'm on Windows 7 and I have not experienced this "glitch" you speak of. Just because you do not like my solution or what I am saying doesn't mean you have to bash me for it.

I wont be back patch after patch because the game was designed to run on Win XP, as it says in the stats. I am computer savvy, i know what I am talking about.

Great, your on Win 7, so why the heck are you commenting then if it doesn't effect you? I love this stupid mentality people have "it doesn't effect me so it doesn't matter". Yes, it does matter to the people it effects. Don't come commenting about it. I don't go in threads commenting on problems with Win 7 do I? No.

Another garbage patch

It supposed to be simple and easy, but DEV seems to complicate things, they used to do the dumbiest way possible.

Dye? Pretty simple, each armor have 2 dye slots, primary and secondary, you get the dye and choose where you use it. Not this garbage of have the same dye with the 2 colors. Pretty dumb. You cant really put the way you want to.

Finally when you think they manage to make artifice usefull, a lot of dye and the better ones from cartel vendor and other stuff, pretty idiot. They should sell the schematic of those colors on cartel. So few and garbage colors for artifice.

Cartel to change aspect? I'll never pay for it. This is totally dumb too, should be ingame credits, what bioware should sell on cartel is special features for customize, like a new scar, new tattoo. Different traits.

Want to have a huge profit on cartel, put some really nice vehicles, not packs, put a AT-At or AT-ST for 20 dollars and you'll see a lot of people buying it. Put some new ships with cartel, like millenium falcon and you'll see people paying 30 dollars for it. Not those garbage

Welcome to Perfect World International. Enjoy being nickel and dime to death. Cathar a huge waste of time and money . cartel collections? LOL. Only decent thing about this is the dyes and the devs squandered the opportunity to do it right. I soon see an end to subscriber services in the near future so that EA and Bioware can maximize profits. As well as an end to the story based MMO idea this SWTOR will quickly become just another basic MMO with the same old boring repetitive quest of go here kill 50 mobs then go there and kill 150 more mob then pick up insert item here and deliver insert item here to npc there.

I would like to know why the subscribers have to buy the cathar skins. When you're a subscriber u should get those perks already especially when you've been with the game since the beta. And your team really needs to put more "details" in the vids like "hey, this update will cost you money" instead of letting us believe its free. Not cool pissin off clients who are already irritated with how things have been done. :rak_03: