View Single Post

DarthTHC
03.09.2012 , 12:09 PM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Hold on there... you just cast out a whole lot of assumptions specifically to make the numbers look lower.

First of all, use the full 9% (lets use 10% because its easy math and I'm lazy) - because they could use Boot Camp for steam too, but they don't.

Second, consider the full revenue for the box sales... that's what other numbers are calculated by. Not cost.

Third, count an annual subscription for each purchaser. It's not just box sales with a subscription MMO.

This puts you at an annual revenue from Mac users for TOR at $12,000,000 (box sales), $36,000,000 (sub revenue) or a total of $48million dollars in year one revenue from Mac users alone. And you cannot tell me that expense wouldn't be paid off in the first few months. it would cost no where near that to do a Mac port.

I have been through this for more than 3 years. I've seen every argument and calculation, and proven them all wrong.

EA was absolutely wrong in their decision, the Mac version would absolutely be profitable, and as a shareholder I've expressed my dissatisfaction directly as well.

Money is being left on the table, or more specifically lining the pockets of our largest competitor.

BioWare and EA are for-profit businesses. If they thought they could support a Mac client profitably, they'd be working on a Mac client.

SR said they're not working on a Mac client. Ergo, they don't believe they can do it profitably.

Seems simple enough to understand.

The solution seems simple enough too. Well, there are two.

1) Apple could ship a big cheque to BioWare to offset the development costs. Lord knows they've made enough profit off the sweat and tears of Chinese children to afford to ship a few million.

2) More gamers could buy Apple instead of PC, thus increasing the number of gamers who'd buy a Mac instead of PC version, thus shifting more revenue toward that side of the equation.