[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup

Was wondering how much of a bonus these +50 presence amps actually were, so decided to try and test them

Don't have any parsing technology so my "method" was very primitive lol, just whacked a training dummie around and tried to spot the difference between wearing no presence amps and wearing one +50 amp

Anyway it seems to be roughly 0.5% boost to damage/healing per 50 presence amp, think it's the same for HP

So that's around 0.01% Companion Effectiveness per 1 presence, results seemed consistent for both my level 1 and level 50 influence companions, again.. not a really scientific method of measuring it but had some free time so thought what the hell lol

So full mods & armourings with 50 presence would total 900 presence and about 9% damage/health/healing boost to companions

Edit: Side note, as a influence level 50 companion is a 2500 presence bonus, that's about a 24.5% damage/health/healing increase over a level 1

So each +50 Presence augment adds 1 influence level basically, so with max presence amps you have equivalent to a rank 68 companion

Again this is just what i observed from beating down a target dummie for a while, didn't use anything advanced or super accurate like a parsing tool

Edited by Berronaxftw

Was wondering how much of a bonus these +50 presence amps actually were, so decided to try and test them

I'm not sure the presence amplifiers are working at all.

There's been no dev reply to my bug report., but here are the reproducible steps:

1.) Have a fixed amount of presence on your character. In my case, this was a level 75 scoundrel with no presence on gear but all the presence datacrons. Be in a non-level synced area. In my case, this was my stronghold and the fleet. My presence with no companion summoned is at a baseline of 1470.

2.) Summon an influence rank 50 companion. In my case, this was Theron Shan, in damage stance. Presence went to 3970, a 2500 point difference which correctly corresponds to the presence bonus from influence ranks.

3.) Make note of the figures under the "Ranged" and "Tech" tabs of the companion sheet. In my case, it is Tech Bonus Damage 8840.2 with Critical chance 27.75%, critical multiplier 57.18%, alacrity 5.48%, accuracy 102.88%, Mastery 9259, Endurance 10574, Power 5742, Ranged Bonus Damage 7361.3, primary damage 7362-7366.

4.) Equip a Taskmaster set. In my case, I have several presence amplifiers on armorings and on mods. The total of the amplifiers is +510 presence. When I equip this set, my presence increases to the expected 4480, but none of Theron's Stats change, except for the known +3000 effect to [companion] Alacrity Rating, which increases the companion's alacrity percentage from 5.48% before to 17.49% while wearing the set.

5.) Make note that Theron Shan's other stats have not changed, with the same outcome to bonus damage, endurance, etc.

6.) Onderonian Clear Punch is a presence buff drink, you can purchase it from the cantina droids on the fleet in the center of the ring, which adds +116 to presence. In my case, this increases my presence to 4596. Interestingly, Theron's stats DO change in this scenario. His Mastery and power don't change, but the primary ranged damage and the tech bonus damage do, as does his health slightly.

7.) I then bought a stack of Premium Kyrprax Command Stims which add 288 to presence, bringing the total to 4884. Theron's health goes up again, as does his primary ranged damage and tech bonus damage.

8.) I then un-equip my Taskmaster Set and go back to my regular Tactitian's set, presence goes down to the expected 4374, but Theron's health and damage stats remain as they were.

So, presence itself is working just fine, its just the presence amplifiers that are NOT working.

Please feel free to confirm if this is not correct.

• 1 month later...
Not sure if it was fixed or not. D-R3D seems to be using all of his abilities, I don’t have the ability to parse his damage. If this is an increase or I'm mistaken with the bug and it’s still there.

He's still a little bugged.

To test:

click AOE attack (Ctrl+6)

Click passive (Ctrl+2)

You'll notice a bunch of numbers when you do that on Veeroa and only 1 number when you do it on D-R3D.

I noticed in the parsing table you listed Kaliyo at around 8.7k which seems quite higher compared to the other rifle/sniper/pistol users and had her closer on par to dual pistol companions. Anything special about her that gets her so much higher or do you think this was just a fluke?

Just a fluke, for instance, these are some more samples

Level 50, Paxton Rall (1 Blaster Pistol?) 8060 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Paxton Rall (1 Blaster Pistol?) 8904 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Paxton Rall (1 Blaster Pistol?) 8490 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Paxton Rall (1 Blaster Pistol?) 8972 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Phrojo Nuray (Assault Cannon) 8620 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Phrojo Nuray (Assault Cannon) 8448 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Gault (Sniper Rifle) 8350 - 6.1.2d

Level 50, Raina Temple (1 Blaster Pistols) 8711 - 6.1.2d

Hello. What about HK-51 DPS? Isn't it it the best?

HK-51 was very good as a dps companion because of his long cast-time Assassinate ability which could often one shot weak and sometimes even standards. However, that all changed with 4.0 and all companions getting all trinity roles.

As Riku said, check the top post in the thread for parsing details.

However, there were fixes in 6.2 for HK-51's Tank role/stance, so it might be useful to test him out for that.

if you actually check the parsing OP listed for each companion you can see that hk-51 is pretty terrible as dps...

I saw it. And I have feeling in combat that Shae is better. But I used calculator and check numbers. HK's ability Terminate dealing 47659 dmg every 14.2 seconds, without target health restrictions, is very good. And I calculate DPS HK and Shae. HK wins, no matter including attack with below 30% health restriction or not. Shae can debuff enemy armor by 20%, but if I give her DPS extra 20% - she still losing. Both 25 level of influence. Level 75. Can anybody explain this?

P.S. Sorry, my English still need practice.

Can anybody explain this?

The numbers seen on the tool tips are calculated based on the type of weapon equiped... And then that weapon damage is ignored when in combat. So the numbers wont actually match.

HK will be about the same as the ship droid or lana for dps. Maybe a bit lower and is missing the sunder effect.

I just finished a video parsing HK and going through the 6.2 updates:

Q0-77, Nico, Vette, Hamdil Tre, Theron Shan, Andronikos Revel and Ensign Temple (before her respawn) all use 2 blaster pistols and are top Ranged DPS after Shae.

Can anyone explain this line about Ensign Raina Temple? I know that when you get her back after KOTFE/KOTET she only has 1 blaster equipped, but is it just a matter of equipping her with another blaster, or has she changed in some other way?

Once I've equipped her with 2 blasters again, is she just as good as she was before? This makes it sound like there were bigger changes to the companion than just her equipment.

Edited by rylixav

Once I've equipped her with 2 blasters again, is she just as good as she was before?

It looks like I over-reacted, or they fixed something. In the past I couldn't equip her second pistol so I freaked. Today I could equip it.

So I tested, she has all 2 pistol skills, so even with 1 blaster, her skills hit twice. If you equip her second blaster her normal ranged attack also hits twice. So she's 100% as normal then.

It looks like I over-reacted, or they fixed something. In the past I couldn't equip her second pistol so I freaked. Today I could equip it.

So I tested, she has all 2 pistol skills, so even with 1 blaster, her skills hit twice. If you equip her second blaster her normal ranged attack also hits twice. So she's 100% as normal then.

If anyone cares about cosmetic blaster pistols for her

You cannot get her original vanilla MH and OH. I mean, there is a similar blaster to her vanilla one that is on the pvp vendor (Valor 46), but it is only mainhand. There are some offhand world drops that match the mainahnd but naturally they are much more rare to get, especially if you are not at planet-level.

However, there is Raina's Prototype Masterwork Blaster. If you have an Armstech with old archived schematics, the Fusion-X blaster pistol is mainhand and offhand-eligible and is extremely similar to her customizable level 50 blaster that you could get from the Belsavis dailies, "Raina's Prototype Masterwork Blaster." At least, I think they were from the Belsavis dailies. They could have been from Belsavis heroics in the pre 4.0 era. Each companion had a "[First name] Prototype Masterwork [weapon]" that was fully moddable. Anyway, this Armstech-crafted one was not moddable but fortunately that doesn't matter anymore. What does matter is that it is flagged as both Mainhand and Offhand. So, if you are OCD like me, and the MH/OH need to match somewhat, this appears to be one option.

They all fall under the "BPSL32" model on TOR Fashion: https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/category/similarity/similarity-weapons/blaster-pistol-weapons/bpsl32/

For the record, her original weapon (Temple's Superior Blaster) matches these "BPSL21-style" pistols on TOR Fashion: https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/category/similarity/similarity-weapons/blaster-pistol-weapons/bpsl21/

Of course, all cartel market weapons are MH and OH eligible so you could just use those.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Companions with 2 light sabers parse 8900+ [...]

Any companion with 2 blaster Pistols will be excellent for DPS, parsing 8600+.

Q0-77, Nico, Vette, Hamdil Tre, Theron Shan, Andronikos Revel and Ensign Temple (before her respawn) all use 2 blaster pistols and are top Ranged DPS after Shae.

So companions with 2 lightsabers parse better DPS than those with 2 blasters, but the latter are "top ranged after Shae"? I'm confused...

So companions with 2 lightsabers parse better DPS than those with 2 blasters, but the latter are "top ranged after Shae"? I'm confused...

I think that means, if you don't have shae or don't use her, then for ranged damage, a dual wielding blaster companion would be your next best bet. But a higher leveled dual wielding melee companion will deal more damage than that ranged dual wielder.