5 years away why change the animation for Ravage

darthgamer

Oh dear, here we go again... the change was made when they made master stike/blade dance/blade barrage, whichever the name is now an instant rather than cast.

I for one couldnt care less what it looked like, it functions much better now, as we can get more abilites off in the same time, due to the lack of cast, and gain mobility due to the lack of staying immobile for the channel, and have nothing to fear from interrupts because there is nothing to interrupt.

Edited by KendraP

i gave you gameplay reasons it's better now, in addition to my personal opinion that I don't care what it looks like.

Maybe you should convince me there is a functional reason to return it to being a channel, other than you are personally unhappy with the looks?

Maybe you should convince me there is a functional reason to return it to being a channel, other than you are personally unhappy with the looks?

I don't know why anyone would pretend that not liking how something looks in this game is not a valid reason to dislike it.

This game has been re-skinning items in the Cartel Market since it's inception, and 99% of the population in this game are here to play Space Barbie. This game has zilch for an end game progression scene, this game is being floated entirely by looks, and how much people enjoy those looks.

There is an endgame NIM changes thread that has 17,000 views. Weird People You Meet in Groupfinder thread has 2.6 million views. That's 0.65%.

Think there are far, far less people that care about functionality in this game than you may think, and if the people that care about how things look go away, so does this game.

• Like 1

Look, I'm fine if he wants it to look different, because as I said, I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

I do care how it FUNCTIONS. I do not want it going back to "how it was" because how it was back in the day functioned worse than it does NOW.

Put a pink elephant on my screen every time my character uses the move for all I care, just don't bring back the interruptible, GCD wasting cast for no reason other than it looked cooler that way.

Look, I'm fine if he wants it to look different, because as I said, I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

I do care how it FUNCTIONS. I do not want it going back to "how it was" because how it was back in the day functioned worse than it does NOW.

Put a pink elephant on my screen every time my character uses the move for all I care, just don't bring back the interruptible, GCD wasting cast for no reason other than it looked cooler that way.

Unless things changed drastically it was never truly a core ability outside of Jugg being able to use force choke as a non channeled ability so

• Like 1

Unless things changed drastically it was never truly a core ability outside of Jugg being able to use force choke as a non channeled ability so

It is, owing to being a focus free filler, used in literally every spec's rotation. Core ability, no. But certainly Used enough that I do NOT want to bring back an interrutible long cast ability, particularly for reasons of "it looked better".

Make it look however they want, I couldnt care less. But leave out the cast that wasted GCDs for, as you so eloquently put it, a non-core ability.

Also for the kick, go play a scoundrel. They have one.

Edited by KendraP

It is, owing to being a focus free filler, used in literally every spec's rotation. Core ability, no. But certainly Used enough that I do NOT want to bring back an interrutible long cast ability, particularly for reasons of "it looked better".

Make it look however they want, I couldnt care less. But leave out the cast that wasted GCDs for, as you so eloquently put it, a non-core ability.

Also for the kick, go play a scoundrel. They have one.

You act like the cast was broken or stunned every single time it was not thats cool you got what you wanted the animation still looks like complete garbage if you cant do better at changing something personally imo then it shouldnt be changed the animation is lazy and pathetic

• Like 1

You act like the cast was broken or stunned every single time it was not thats cool you got what you wanted the animation still looks like complete garbage if you cant do better at changing something personally imo then it shouldnt be changed the animation is lazy and pathetic

At least I'm not the one saying they cant change the animation. I'm saying don't bring back the channel that had the potential to be interrupted, took multiple GCDs, and rooted you for the duration; all for an ability that is not core to any spec.

Either explain to me how it was better with the cast in terms of functionality, or just say you would like them to change the animation, rather than bringing back an unnecessary cast.

why is it not possible to make a request that would please us both? Surely, if they were so inclined as to consider changing an animation (which, by the way, is highly unlikely anyway), they could change the animation without bringing back the disadvantages the cast had.

But for whatever reason, with these threads, that's never the request. "Bring back the cast because it looked better and screw the improvements we got by not having a hard cast in the rotation!" is all these threads ever say. Again, why can't it be phrased as "I'm unhappy with the animation, change it to something better without affecting the current (and btw dramatically improved) rotations". Were they to do that, would it not satisfy us both? You get your pretty looks; I retain my functionality.

At least I'm not the one saying they cant change the animation. I'm saying don't bring back the channel that had the potential to be interrupted, took multiple GCDs, and rooted you for the duration; all for an ability that is not core to any spec.

Either explain to me how it was better with the cast in terms of functionality, or just say you would like them to change the animation, rather than bringing back an unnecessary cast.

why is it not possible to make a request that would please us both? Surely, if they were so inclined as to consider changing an animation (which, by the way, is highly unlikely anyway), they could change the animation without bringing back the disadvantages the cast had.

But for whatever reason, with these threads, that's never the request. "Bring back the cast because it looked better and screw the improvements we got by not having a hard cast in the rotation!" is all these threads ever say. Again, why can't it be phrased as "I'm unhappy with the animation, change it to something better without affecting the current (and btw dramatically improved) rotations". Were they to do that, would it not satisfy us both? You get your pretty looks; I retain my functionality.

Well they never please anybody as we have seen over the life of the game from mass firings to pandering to RP single players etc. I never said bring back the channel but like I said and maybe its mean but if you cant make something better IN EVERY ASPECT why even do it. I looked plenty of other people feel the same way and what does Failoware do? Put out another outfit

Well they never please anybody as we have seen over the life of the game from mass firings to pandering to RP single players etc. I never said bring back the channel but like I said and maybe its mean but if you cant make something better IN EVERY ASPECT why even do it. I looked plenty of other people feel the same way and what does Failoware do? Put out another outfit

I mean, yes, BW has basically failed to please anyone in their atrociously executed attempt to please everyone, but what does that have to do with the point I just made about how to phrase this request? You took the time to request they put it back, I'm suggesting a request that would keep us both happy.

BW is highly unlikely to change anything, agreed, but that really has nothing to do with the point I made.

darthgamer said:
It was fine the way it was and looked amazing what prompted who ever to change it and change it for the worse its awful to look at now

It was changed to please the PVP community (a very vocal minority), at the expense of the PVE community (the majority of almost every game in existence). The PVE community lost a beautiful animation because the PVP community didn't want a cast ability on a melee class. As usual, the PVE community always suffers when devs in any game try to please the PVP community. The irony is, the PVP community is never happy, so I don't know why the devs even bother. Proof? Just visit any game's PVP forum. It's a constant whine-fest of "rock/paper/scissors" nerf this/buff that. It's an enormous waste of time and resources that could be spent elsewhere improving the overall game.

Edited by Lord_Viekis
  • Like 1

As someone who does both PvE and PvP, I prefer the new functionality. I also notice that you, like the OP, decided to ignore my suggestion of your requesting to change the animation with the existing function.

How can you guys not see the functional benefit of gained GCDs, no interruptibility, and no need to stand still? These benefits are general, not specific to PvP or PvE.

As someone who does both PvE and PvP, I prefer the new functionality. I also notice that you, like the OP, decided to ignore my suggestion of your requesting to change the animation with the existing function.

How can you guys not see the functional benefit of gained GCDs, no interruptibility, and no need to stand still? These benefits are general, not specific to PvP or PvE.

Yeah all these reasons are why it's better now. ^

That being said I have to admit it. I miss the channeled attack, lol. I always liked the feel of it.

I feel like this change sort of epitomized the whole shift of PVP on this game and marked the time of that change.

They pushed PVP to be about speed. Whether it's running around the map with tons of speed boost abilities or it's getting in as many GCDs as possible and not getting interrupted for maximum output damage or heals, abilities like this one got scrapped to fit into the newer combat game design.

I see the perks for the change, but I just enjoyed the feel of the ability on top of how it looked. It kind of gave your mind and hands a break while it went off and it looked cool.

Edited by Lhancelot

• 11 months later...

Nah, they totally ruined Ravage by replacing it with some kind of "Sonic the Hedgehog" animation and for years they have refused to fix that mistake. So I hope they hear about it for many more years to come. They ruined it and telling people to get over it isn't cool. Yes, “here we go again” because people hate it and want to be heard, and there’s nothing wrong with giving feedback on such a bad move.

I'm fine with the change in mechanics but why replace one of the best animations in the game with something woefully insufficient? It’s as if they gave the job to some kind of summer intern who produced the same quality product as a kindergarten ceramic ashtray. Maybe instead of reworking the equipment screen (which nobody really needed) in the latest release they could have finally replaced the horrible animation with something better, but no instead they now turned the interns loose on the equipment screen... LOL!

Its BAD and they need to replace the IMP side Jug Ravage animation with at least the PUB side version of Ravage. Please, please!

Edited by Orbjeff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Why can't you choose which ravage or master stike / blade to use? They would just give me a choice at level 10 and everyone is happy.

cause in reality,that amount of paying customers that care a lot about this issue isn't enough for Bioware to allocate resources towards and create an alternative

• 9 months later...
Why change it because i guess standing still for 3 secs was to hard? Ever since they changed ravage (juggernauts hardest hitting ability by the way) The class has been a joke and that new move w/e its called hits a like a wet noodle. Btw didnt even have to wait for the full 3 secs for masterstrike/ravage you could clip it or animation cancel into impale for even more burst dmg. Im sure 7.0 it will be even better :rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D Been playing juggernaut/guardian since 1.0 i would give anything to have the old single target burn back than this hot cleave garbage. Edited by Skummy
  • Like 1