Taris Trooper Storyline Question

TWEWYFan

I just finished the final trooper quest on Taris. Your goal is to find the traitorous squad member Needles and stop his rakghouls experiments.

Upon arriving you discover Needles speaking withn a talking rakghoul who has apparently been supplying him with subjects in exchange for attacking the Republic. Once you finish the conversation they attack and you kill them both. After you've killed them your trooper declares mission accomplished and prepares to leave Taris with no further mention of the talking rakghoul. No character even suggests following up on this potential new threat.

So my question here is did I miss something important or is this a plot thread that is explained in another class's storyline?

I just finished the final trooper quest on Taris. Your goal is to find the traitorous squad member Needles and stop his rakghouls experiments.

Upon arriving you discover Needles speaking withn a talking rakghoul who has apparently been supplying him with subjects in exchange for attacking the Republic. Once you finish the conversation they attack and you kill them both. After you've killed them your trooper declares mission accomplished and prepares to leave Taris with no further mention of the talking rakghoul. No character even suggests following up on this potential new threat.

So my question here is did I miss something important or is this a plot thread that is explained in another class's storyline?

Hopefully this helps. :)

Vorzoth is a Nekghoul, and the one who is talking with Needles when you arrive. Nekghouls are described as such in the Codex.

"Rakghouls evolve with incredible speed, but until recently, they had never shown signs of intelligence. Larger and far smarter than their rakghoul cousins, nekghouls may qualify as a new species in their own right–they appear unable to infect and transform their victims, but instead possess sensitivity to the Force and violent, untrained talent in its use.

Although nekghouls are capable of speech, they have no known history or record of their origins. Are they the result of a Jedi or Sith being infected with the rakghoul virus? A mutation caused by radiation from Taris’s shattered reactors? Studies may have to wait–for now, merely surviving the presence of these horrific beings is difficult enough."

Hope this gives you a better idea of the events.

You also discover needles has been experimenting on the rakghouls, accelerating their evolution into the nekghouls. Its primarily his fault for their existence. Once you kill needles, you have the option of destroying his research (and whatever materials he had left) or forwarding it on to Republic intelligence. Garza mentions it on your holoterminal then that's it.

Cheers.

Thanks to both of you. The story is one of my favorite aspects of this game so it was frustrating that it seemed like it suddenly skipped a page. I still wonder though, did any of the jedi classes deal with this plot thread? Force-sensitive rakghouls seems like a natural fit for either or both jedi stories.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I think the Nekghouls have some connection with the Evolved Rakghoul Plague that was covered in the Rise of the Rakghouls mission arc (Trouble in the Tion Hegemony). Dr Sannus Lorik, an exiled Tionese scientist living on Ord Mantell, developed it so that victims had a high likelihood of maintaining some level of sentience and were less mutated and more capable of using weapons. His goal was to create a rakghoul army he could control and use to get revenge on the ppl who exiled him. He then sent shipments of rakghouls infected with this plague to various planets mostly in the Tion Hegemony but also others like Tatooine, Alderaan, and Corellia where they spread further and this was covered in the Rakghoul event story (there's a wrecked ship on Tatooine where you uncover this for the codex). I have a feeling that in the very least, Dr Lorik obtained material from his work that involved the Nekghouls although unlike Needles he wasn't aligned with the Empire so there isn't an immediate connection to him shown. The original Nekghouls on Taris most likely evolved through the Force. They were taught the ways of the Force by the holocron of Bay-Yon Su, a long-dead Jedi who was part of the Taris Jedi enclave and whose holocron ended up in the reactor or was discovered by the Nekghouls