So how do I know what's good to disassemble for schematics?

Adam_Taylor

Is there specific items I need to be doing it? Just anything that I craft?

For example, I have Synthweaving. Can I get improved plans from all the level 75 gear I can make myself? Or only specific ones?

Do bonded attachments give you new plans?

Is there specific items I need to be doing it? Just anything that I craft?

For example, I have Synthweaving. Can I get improved plans from all the level 75 gear I can make myself? Or only specific ones?

Do bonded attachments give you new plans?

Anything that you can disassemble (er, deconstruct) for a new schematic will show a percentage chance on its tooltip, but in general:

* It only works for gear (for Synthweaving that means armour, armorings, augmentations) and a few other oddments that aren't relevant for Synthweaving(1).

* It doesn't work for Bonded Attachments or the equivalent in other crew skills.

* The character whose crew made the item must deconstruct it. If this character's crew made it, that character (even a different one of yours) cannot get schematics from it.

(1) Stims, medpacks, med units for Biochemistry.

So, SOME gear I've seen has the research chance. Other items don't, or aren't even allowed to be broken down (despite my making them).

So there definitely needs to be a way to see what you can learn stuff from.

My Artificer made a Midlithe Lightsaber, but apparently that can't be broken down.

I made a War-Forged Onslaught Lightsaber, and was able to learn a new version of it. How do I know if that improved version has something I can learn without using the resources to make one first?

And as I see, the best gear is stuff that has all slots open. But the War-Forged stuff (which is level 75) only has color/tuning slots. So how do I know which full slot gear I can make and learn from?

So, SOME gear I've seen has the research chance. Other items don't, or aren't even allowed to be broken down (despite my making them).

DISCLAIMER: everything below refers to gear you craft yourself.

Blue levelling gear ("Requires level" below 75, learned from the trainer) can yield (60% chance) a purple schematic for the same (roughly) requires-level. However, those purple schematics don't yield schematics when deconstructed.

"Empty" gear like the Midlithe sabres that you mention, cannot be broken down for schematics, and are mostly very *old* (pre-4.0) schematics.

Blue levelling modifications (armorings, barrels, enhancements, hilts, mods, augmentations) can yield purple schematics, just like the fixed-stats gear pieces.

War-Forged gear can yield higher schematics on a steadily decreasing chance until you reach 306-rated. War-Forged armour doesn't have set bonuses.

The modification-object equivalents of War-Forged (rated 268+) can yield higher schematics until you reach 306, except for augmentations, which stop at, I believe, 286.

My Artificer made a Midlithe Lightsaber, but apparently that can't be broken down.

I made a War-Forged Onslaught Lightsaber, and was able to learn a new version of it. How do I know if that improved version has something I can learn without using the resources to make one first?

As far as I know, there's no direct way, except that if it's below 306-rated, it will be improvable. (As described above)

And as I see, the best gear is stuff that has all slots open. But the War-Forged stuff (which is level 75) only has color/tuning slots. So how do I know which full slot gear I can make and learn from?

Level 75 fixed-stats gear can be improved as described above.

Open-slot gear ("moddable") cannot be improved by deconstruction - it doesn't have any stats to improve, except by what you slot in its slots. (Moddable gear that is crafted with modifications already installed cannot be improved in this way, but the schematics for those are all ***old***, and cannot be learned any more.)

Okay, so if I want set stat stuff, I would make the War-Forged stuff and hope for improved schematics (get a blue and then a purple, etc until it hits 306 rating).

For the open slot stuff, I would be making and deconstructing the actual mods to get higher ranked versions (up to 306).

The actual gear itself doesn't improve.

So that makes sense then. I would have figured the open slot items would have better versions that would have just had slightly better base damage (or armor or whatever) so that when you mod them up, the total is higher. But I guess they didn't go that route.

Okay, so if I want set stat stuff, I would make the War-Forged stuff and hope for improved schematics (get a blue and then a purple, etc until it hits 306 rating).

More or less, assuming that by "set stat stuff" you mean the stuff with *fixed* stats (not-moddable). I say this because the word "set" in there is a source of confusion, given that there are also (moddable) armour sets that come with set bonuses (wear two pieces of the set, get this bonus, wear four, get that one as well, etc.).

In fact, those set bonuses (which aren't on the War-Forged stuff, and can't be added to it) are why the War-Forged *armour* isn't worth bothering with.

For the open slot stuff, I would be making and deconstructing the actual mods to get higher ranked versions (up to 306).

The actual gear itself doesn't improve.

Correct.

So that makes sense then. I would have figured the open slot items would have better versions that would have just had slightly better base damage (or armor or whatever) so that when you mod them up, the total is higher. But I guess they didn't go that route.

That's right.

So, what's actually worth trying to make for myself? Other than the upgrade items?

Augmentations and their kits. Biochemistry consumables. If you can get set-bonus schematics from Kai Zykken, those. Everything else is faster to get from other sources, even with the RNG in operation.

If you also participate in Fashion Wars: the Old Catwalk, sometimes called "Space Barbie", Artificers can make interesting dyes, although some of the best require specific planetary reputations. Example: Black/Deep Red frequently looks better than Black/Black, and the schematic is available from the reputation vendors on Oricon, if you have enough reputation. (This has the added bonus that it's cheap to make, and can be sold for a substantial amount on the GTN.)

And of course all the fixed-stats levelling gear fits nicely in Outfit Designer slots, so if you find something you like the look of, you can craft it for looks. Example: Charged Hypercloth Force-Expert's (Impside appearance) looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/HV8WAXu.jpg