Question for Story Devs: How to justify Sith Pureblood Inquisitor?

Ylliarus

So I have a question for the story team and in particular Charles Boyd: how would you justify a Sith Pureblood Inquisitor, aka how did a Pureblood end up being a slave if they are held in high regard amongst the Sith Empire. I have several own backstories and theories as to how it would work, but I am very curious to the thoughts of the story team and mainly whether they consider it justifiable for a Pureblood to have been a slave.

One of my theories always has been that the family of the Sith Pureblood had fallen into disgrace with a higher Lord or Darth, that in turn cast the family down and enslaved them. Since slavery is inherited within the Empire it could have been how a Pureblood Inquisitor ended up being a slave. Possibly the family fell into disgrace because they opposed the Galactic War, fearing the mistakes from the Great Hyperspace War would be repeated. Such sentiments existed during the times of the Revan novel within the Sith Empire, so it would be possible that some still held such beliefs although the group of people with such thoughts would be much smaller than 300 years ago.

Another theory I thought of was that one of the parents of the Pureblood Inquisitor was born without affinity in the Force which would result in them being the ultimate disgrace amongst the Sith. Perhaps they were considered thus worthless that they had been enslaved and subsequently the Inquisitor was born from perhaps rape or either the slave being for the pleasure of another Pureblood. Instead of being born without affinity to the Force the child actually was strong in the Force and thus sent to Korriban, released from slavery (as it is inherited).

But really I am most curious whether the Story Devs would agree with either one of these theories being plausible as the backstory of a Sith Pureblood Inquisitor.

Both of your theories work. The commonality between them is a "fall from grace". And this is backed up by the story...

A force ghost of an ancient sith lord is your ancestor. And he wants the family to regain its prominence.

Both of your theories work. The commonality between them is a "fall from grace". And this is backed up by the story...

A force ghost of an ancient sith lord is your ancestor. And he wants the family to regain its prominence.

I couldn't really think of any other reason indeed why a Sith Pureblood otherwise would have fallen into the slave caste of the Sith Empire. And what you say in the spoiler is very true and very applicable to a former Sith Pureblood slave.

Another theory I thought of was that one of the parents of the Pureblood Inquisitor was born without affinity in the Force which would result in them being the ultimate disgrace amongst the Sith.

I wouldn't class it so strongly as "the ultimate disgrace" myself. If that were true, then that one NPC you meet on Voss could not exist. (OK, you'd have to say that there was *some* disgrace involved, but "ultimate"? No.)

Just remember the Inquisitor was from a bloodline of a famous or infamous sith called Kallig who was betrayed by Tulak Horde because he was threatened by Kallig's substantial mastery of the force and he didn't trust the man anyway.

All evidence of Kallig was wiped from history except in minor details, and not a lot of details were known about Kallig from those days, so we have no way of knowing is Kallig was a Sith a human or an alien, but he was known to be more pro-alien than the rest of the sith from his time.

There is no way to know if Kallig was a true sith blood or not and we also have no way of knowing how pure the inquisitor's dna and blood is. A lot of sith from the old republic era kept their distinct red skin and bone protrustions but they would of been more than 80% human because of generations of interbreeding between human slaves and sith and sith-human hybrids.

with that written, force affinity is usually carried to children of force sensitive children, it doesn't discriminate on who or what they are. It's possible the power sleeping from within the inquisitor is from Kallig himself or just over generations building on.

but that doesn't explain non force sensitive parents having froce sensitive children. could be luck of the draw as to how powerful one can be in the force.

Edited by Celise

• Dev Post

I think the first backstory you have there is more likely than the second, personally - as brutal as the Sith are to one another, there must be cases where a powerful Pureblood Sith is overthrown and their surviving family members enslaved. It would certainly be quite the trophy for the Sith who overthrew them; if Purebloods are held to be the most powerful, then defeating and enslaving them must be seen as an impressive display of power indeed.

Perhaps the victorious Sith had intended to keep his Pureblood victim's family in slavery permanently, but was overruled and forced to send the Force-sensitive ones to the academy as is tradition? Now he/she is constantly trying to find ways to undermine or kill the Pureblood covertly, before they can become powerful enough to exact revenge. Could be some fun RP opportunities beyond what the storyline brings :)

I think the first backstory you have there is more likely than the second, personally - as brutal as the Sith are to one another, there must be cases where a powerful Pureblood Sith is overthrown and their surviving family members enslaved. It would certainly be quite the trophy for the Sith who overthrew them; if Purebloods are held to be the most powerful, then defeating and enslaving them must be seen as an impressive display of power indeed.

Perhaps the victorious Sith had intended to keep his Pureblood victim's family in slavery permanently, but was overruled and forced to send the Force-sensitive ones to the academy as is tradition? Now he/she is constantly trying to find ways to undermine or kill the Pureblood covertly, before they can become powerful enough to exact revenge. Could be some fun RP opportunities beyond what the storyline brings :)

Ooooo, yes, I agree with the OP and Mr Boyd. This also goes along the line of my own character's backstory. Great RP opportunities indeed.

Whoa, I don't remember the last time a dev posted in the Story and Lore forum. Hope to see more :)

SI really is one of the best for backstory, especially long lost heritage kinds of stories, and convos wtih Andronikus and Ashara do a good job of putting some in game flavour to it.

Well, maybe, Mr. Boyd, can answer this question. Why is the default choice for a Sith, for the Iokath expansion, the light side choice: choosing to rebuild the galaxy rather then being emperor/empress?

Huh. I'm suprised a dev said anything.

Just remember the Inquisitor was from a bloodline of a famous or infamous sith called Kallig who was betrayed by Tulak Horde because he was threatened by Kallig's substantial mastery of the force and he didn't trust the man anyway.

Which makes me wonder why Tulak Horde just didn't kill Kalig's entire family. Any offspring from his line would run a good chance at being just as powerful or more powerful than Kalig himself.

Edited by cool-dude

Thank you very much for this wonderful reply, Mr. Boyd! I very much agree with this new insight myself as well and I'd definitely could see how valuable a trophy such a Pureblood slave must be. What immediately springs to mind is the Darth Skotia arc, where he tries to undermine Zash but also the Inquisitor. Perhaps he was the Sith that had triumphed over the Pureblood Inquisitor's family. When Zash takes them as her apprentice it would be more of a reason for Skotia to hate her and want the Inquisitor dead, plus it would be an epic payback when...

The Inquisitor kills Skotia.

Otherwise if not Skotia when Darth Thanaton would be another great candidate for the same role, especially since he is a staunch traditionalist

There is one piece of dialogue in the game that will destroy immersion playing as a pure-blood inquisitor. In the Revan flashpoint, I believe it is the foundry, your inquisitor can tell HK they do not have Sith blood in them.

There is one piece of dialogue in the game that will destroy immersion playing as a pure-blood inquisitor. In the Revan flashpoint, I believe it is the foundry, your inquisitor can tell HK they do not have Sith blood in them.

To be fair, this is a stupid line no matter what species you are, as it's a major plot point that you're descended from a Sith Lord.

To be fair, this is a stupid line no matter what species you are, as it's a major plot point that you're descended from a Sith Lord.

Agreed, because maybe at the start you can be like that you don't know about your lineage but eventually, especially when you rise to become a Lord of the Sith...

And get called Lord Kallig

It is clear that you actually do have Sith blood running through your veins. Whether that blood is Sith Pureblood blood is another question depending on how you view your ancestor, but he was a Sith Lord so you are descended from a Sith in that regard.

Also, if humans could have viable hybrid offspring with other species like Zabrak or Twi'lek, then surely Purebloods, who are basically human DNA wise, could as well. So it would be even likely that Kallig has been a Pureblood but somewhere down the family line (doesn't need to be Kallig himself) there was an interracial relationship and thus hyrbid offspring.

You can be a Sith Lord without having any Sith Pureblood DNA. We know nothing of Kallig's actual heritage other than he was a Dark Lord of the Sith, which is a title that can be handed to anyone.

As for the main topic. One could say the Sith Pureblood was taken as a slave by a Hutt early on. The Hutt now dead, the Sith having grown up a slave is now sent to Korriban.

It could also explain why when people see their Pureblood Sith Inquisitor, they call her a slave. She's gotten some notoriety from the ordeal, so many know the face.

• 2 months later...

In regards to the question whether Sith Pureblood can be slaves and thus be a viable race for the Sith Inquisitor storyline I stumbled upon the intro text that was specifically tailored to Sith Pureblood Inquisitors: http://imgur.com/a/VNyx0

So I think this should end the debate of whether it makes sense or not or whether there is a breach of lore. Bioware itself has made a text specifically for a Sith Pureblood Inquisitor which establishes that it is possible for one to be a slave. Besides I think the post from Charles in this thread says enough as well.

Thanks for posting a response to us as it demonstrates to us that you are listening, and we appreciate that.