So you wanted to be a Starfighter pilot?!(GSF intro event)

Stradlin

Always wanted to figure basics of GSF out but felt like there isn't a good venue for it? Wellp, your feelings serve you well, for the in-game tutorial is awful! This event comes with few mini lectures of sorts, Q&A bits but most importantly, you get to fly to places at peace and shoot some moving targets in a controlled environment where nobody is out to kill you 3000 times while you figuring the game out.

- - -

8th of May. 10 pm New York Time!

Star Forge

Republic side

- - -

•  

• Event will be all about ensuring things remain inclusive and educational for brand new pilots.

• Designed for people who know nothing about GSF but would like to!

• Very useful to have few veteran pilots in the mix though, to help with few things.

• We'll be doing GSF maps in pvp challenge mode!(Challenge mode= premade custtom match that has just us participating. It amounts to a controlled environment where one can figure stuff out at peace. Nobody will be there shooting you with lasers.

• Discord more or less required. You don't have to talk but you must be able to hear!

• Exciting opportunity to immerse yourself deep in broken Engrish spoken with an authentic Finnish accent! Consider it a cultural expedition!

• We will NOT be doing traditional capture the sats or DMs etc. Instead, we just use the maps for training exercises and pull a fun bomber event originally designed by @Sylvi Have you participated in the bomber event before? Know that this will be a more straightforward version for new pilots, not the real deal!

• This won't be a tournament or such. Nobody cares how many kills or deaths you manage.

• Never tried GSF but feeling kinda curious? Now is an excellent opportunity to jump in! If you have 0 matches played before this, the event is planned with you in mind!

• Easy to step in. Lvl 1 character rolled 5 minutes earlier can join, as long as we manage to get you invited to the Ops group. lvl 10 character (or beyond) recommended though. How much or little GSF ships you have boight/build by the time we begin doesn't matter for this.

• We focus on covering basics of the flight and letting people to..fly at peace, basically. Certain things that are better explained in writing won't be touched much. Like ship builds etc. Speaking of ship builds, Jinnora's excellent manual has you covered.

• Please sign up, don't just show up! It is important to have some idea of the amount of people inc. Sign up here or send me a PM. Making sounds on rep side /gsf custom chat channel around 10 pm NY time is another, less optimal alternative.

Edited by Stradlin

That sounds really helpful! I am unfortunately not 100% sure that I'll be able to make it at that time, but I'd like to sign up if there's room. Is the Discord mentioned in the invitation the GSF Discord in Jinnora's guide?

That sounds really helpful! I am unfortunately not 100% sure that I'll be able to make it at that time, but I'd like to sign up if there's room. Is the Discord mentioned in the invitation the GSF Discord in Jinnora's guide?

I'll PM you the necessary infos!

I'll try to stop by to do some duty as a target drone.

Thanks to all vet pilots who showed up for this o7

I think it went pretty well! Was so glad to see so many new pilots to show up. Hopefully this was useful for you folks. Since game sadly don't give a proper tutorial free flight mode, at least the ability to go to places in custom map at peace alone is a huge deal.

GSF isn't as complex as it might 1st seem, but theres tons of ground to cover, I think we were at it for 90 mins or so. Not enough time to even touch ship builds etc!

Jinnora's ambitious attempt at an actual GSF manual! is great step after figuring out basics of the flight. Build recommendations here are super useful, for one thing.

Despon's GSF 101 stuff is super useful too. On video form to boot, so its show and tell.

Torcommunity has nice easy-to-the-eye section about Ship builds too!

Drako's thread about his builds! No doubt all of these are highly functional, but few are also very specialized, be sure to heed his warning/note about the matter. ie you don't wanna take the pike/quell he listed to a DM for example.

When you begin flying for reals..

1. Head to pvp terminal and pick "Intro to GSF" mission. Then do one match.

2. Click the reward token you got from completing intro mission. You get tons of fleet req! Use it to buy all the ships and most of the crew.

3. Check ship builds on Jinnora's guide or Torcommunity and begin building!

Edited by Stradlin

As one of the attendees, I can confirm that it was a great event. I am still terrible, but at least I have some idea of what I should be doing now. Many thanks to the instructor and all the veteran pilots who took time out of their day to teach a bunch of newbies. I very much appreciate it.

As one of the attendees, I can confirm that it was a great event. I am still terrible, but at least I have some idea of what I should be doing now. Many thanks to the instructor and all the veteran pilots who took time out of their day to teach a bunch of newbies. I very much appreciate it.

o7

Maybe 2nd part at some point in close future, where we talk about different ships, builds and so on!

Glad to hear this went well. Perhaps with the influx of Galactic Seasons players, this would be something worth doing on a regular/ semi-regular basis?

It might, depending on demand. At least this time around, we had a decent amount of new pilots and a perfect ratio of Vet/New pilots. Vet pilots are very important for this, nice that so many showed up despite it surely being little bit boring for them.

Basics Part II could be an idea too. Just that so much about that is better delivered in writing or by watching Desponds videos etc. Like..talking about ship builds sounds nice, but reading about them works better.

It might, depending on demand. At least this time around, we had a decent amount of new pilots and a perfect ratio of Vet/New pilots. Vet pilots are very important for this, nice that so many showed up despite it surely being little bit boring for them.

Basics Part II could be an idea too. Just that so much about that is better delivered in writing or by watching Desponds videos etc. Like..talking about ship builds sounds nice, but reading about them works better.

Something Invis did / does with me to push me onward and upward is create private games to spar with each other. We then expanded that and brought others into the fold. The net result is that in addition to my own increased/ increasing Scout abilities, we have created / made 3 new Battle Scout pilots, who were previously poor in a T2S, and are now there or thereabouts same level as me.

Now granted this was a dedicated and specific effort to create more good Battle Scout pilots, but the idea works for any level of skill / experience and any ship. Bring them into private games where they can practice 1v1 against a better pilot nerfing himself a bit, or against each other.