I think we need equipment sets for companion

BIGssdl

I understand that. You could buy gear also. Like their were some nice weapons at Tat ..get ear pieces at Hoth..Belsavis and Voss had some nice gear.

It's all unnecessary though. It was always a messy and clunky way to handle gearing. There are better ways to handle it and get the results people want.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boats already sailed on it. They won't switch back no matter what some want.

There's no point or benefit in switching back to it.

What is something that gearing would allow for that couldn't possibly be done in some other way? For instance, If Bioware built a Combat Profficienies menu/panel just for companions where you could tweak them with dropdowns, choices, etc, what benefit would gearing have over that?

So no use beating a dead horse.

So why keep talking about it, defending it, or advocating for it?

I'm not seeing the benefit for companion gear when there are better ways to handle getting the things people want from companion gear into the game.

There's no point or benefit in switching back to it.

What is something that gearing would allow for that couldn't possibly be done in some other way? For instance, If Bioware built a Combat Profficienies menu/panel just for companions where you could tweak them with dropdowns, choices, etc, what benefit would gearing have over that?

So why keep talking about it, defending it, or advocating for it?

I'm not seeing the benefit for companion gear when there are better ways to handle getting the things people want from companion gear into the game.

The same reason you are. I am pretty sure I am allowed my opinion same as you. You don't like it simple. I will show you.

The same reason you are. I am pretty sure I am allowed my opinion same as you. You don't like it simple. I will show you.

Yes, you're allowed to share your opinion but you say there's no sense beating a dead horse then continue to keep talking about it. Why say the dead horse bit knowing you're going to continue talking about it?

You've also still yet to show me or explain how the old gear system would be better than a new menu-based system for companions similar to Combat Proficiencies.

gear wearing on companions, with some bonuses: presence, abilities cooldown, regen hp 1%per sec (for example):)

No.

When they did it before it really messed with the narrative. Even though I wasn't around back then the only thing that bugs me is I think HK and the ship drid should still HAVE armour. I understand you could kit your ship droid into a craftin god.

And the numerous customs for HK make up for the pile of parts you get.

We know there is some janky coding in 1.0. They had to remove kill options from characters because they were all marked as healer, tank, or damage.

It also meant you couldn't customize em as much or it must have been a pain.

I have Havok Squad all in mostly the same outfit which is a empty CM outfit. 7-8 clicks and maybe a dye pack and they are done.

Damage for OP, Tank when I might die, and Healer when I will definitely die.

There's still a few holdovers like Shae for damage and Z00m for healin. And HK should still have his terminate ability but

No.

I have a 42 Kira and a 33 Senya. I can use em both for heals if I have to. Otherwise I would be stuck with (shudders) DOC.

Today's approach is a lot better. My main toon has over 35 companions and depending on my mood I'll just grab one and go. I can sit there all day playing Barbie dolls (manly men: They're called ACTION FIGURES!) and dress them up however with my lovely cartel market outfit and not give a flying frog's foot what their stats are because they don't have any other than influence.

The most versatile of all possible worlds when it comes to comps, and people want to trap themselves into a gearing nightmare? Their choice.

Not mine. Massive nay to gearing companions.

Nail-- Head. One of the amazing time sinks in this game is really kitting out a companion. And by that I mean findin a great outfit. Arik Jorgen looks really bad in his base Havoc armour. But there are a lot of sets and dyes where he looks great.

Elara is the same. One time I had her in a blue green dyed outfit probably intended for Sith Lords.

Also Kira's base outfit looks better if you just remover her skirt. The 'shorts' match the colour scheme of her outfit better than the dress. Also gives her a Olympic gymnast feel.

And then there's that one Body Horror cybernetics outfit. Makes any character look more interesting.

It's why to this day I hate Nico and Arcann as companions. If you can't put Nico in a tank top and shorts and keep the cowboy hat what's the point?

I would use more companions if influence was legacy-wide instead of character-specific because as it stands now I pretty much only invest in rasing one comp's influence per character/alt due to the amount of time and/or cost required in getting them to max rank.

Although it can take a LONG time... I made myself a influence suit and it made that so much less tedious. After readin a post here I went to fleet/Lower Coruscant and just bought the 600 credit refundable gear until it got 1.8 or better influential. It's a little tedious but it's free. And rippin out the mods and puttin them in a legacy suit costs maybe 100 a piece. so even if you dual wield and use both weapons at msot it will cost maybe 1000 credits to make your gear suit.

If I know I am travelin with someone for a long time I try to get them to 25+ before I do any conversations.

Other reasons to run around with a level 1 influence companion:

Eye candy

Head canon

Just because

My chiss, Peri'Chenka'Sevateem (known as Chenka per Chiss namin convention) Has a wife who is a Zabrak bounty hunter. Also her wife is force sensitive but untrained.

I discovered that if you dress Darth hexid in heavy armour and give her a tech staff (or have her weaponless) She'll fight normal and all and every once in awhile her hands glow purple. Works perfect if you want a bodyguard or a Mandalorian bestie.

Although it can take a LONG time... I made myself a influence suit and it made that so much less tedious. After readin a post here I went to fleet/Lower Coruscant and just bought the 600 credit refundable gear until it got 1.8 or better influential. It's a little tedious but it's free. And rippin out the mods and puttin them in a legacy suit costs maybe 100 a piece. so even if you dual wield and use both weapons at msot it will cost maybe 1000 credits to make your gear suit.

If I know I am travelin with someone for a long time I try to get them to 25+ before I do any conversations.

When I say I invest in raising one comp's influence I'm talking about doing it all in one go, ie I get Darth Hexxid and give her enough gifts to get her to Rank 50. I then want to be able to use my Rank 50 Hexxid on my alts without having to through the time or resource sink to raise her to 50 again. I don't want to use Hexxid on all my alts either it's just that I'd more inclined to switch comps out across all my alts if I had a number of them all at level 50 instead of just the one and only level 50 comp I have for each character.

If you only have a few characters it's not that big a deal or issue but when you've got like 20 alts like I do it gets annoying/frustrating to raise one comp to level 50 across all those characters and whenever I end up getting to KOTFE/KOTET in the story I'm reminded of it further because I'm forced to use characters like Lana, Theron, etc, who are never going to be at their max efficiency during the story content.

I can't deny that gearing companions, especially when we had four primary stats of Aim/Cunning/Strength/Willpower, was a way to add complexity and intricacy to the game. It was also expensive, and in many cases an impossible goal.

I think that the alternative, making all three combat roles available to any companion, really opened up choices for players in ways that probably outweigh the loss of complexity. Being able to travel with the companion you like is a big thing to many players ... just look at all the threads about having to use companion X or Y with the newer flashpoints in story mode. Being able to fine-tune the look of companion outfits is almost as important as being able to fine-tune your player character's look.

Others have mentioned considering alts, which is absolutely a valid reason not to have companion-specific gearing, but realize that Bioware's new MO is to introduce a new companion or two with every expansion and every new flashpoint. New NPC's bring new storytelling freedom for them, and helps reduce the impact of more severe player choices, and you never know if the next companion might be someone you will want to take with you on your travels. Having the ability to get them up in effectiveness quickly is important if Bioware is going to continue introducing tons of new NPCs.

Another consideration is the consideration of the casual player. Getting BiS off-class gear for your companions, for example "Aim" item modifications for Lt. Iresso as a seer sage, required running a lot of hard mode end game ops rolling on stuff you didn't actually need, because commendations couldn't always get you the best in slot. That isn't exactly friendly to the casual player whose primary focus might be story and solo-oriented content. In that case, having a BiS-companion was not only nearly impossible to get, but ironically more necessary. I'm sympathetic to the argument that you shouldn't need to run a lot of group content just to have an effective companion.

So, I'm ok with the status quo. I would be just fine if they left companions largely alone with 7.0, especially if there is a plan to rebalance Level Lock and rebalance/prune/nerf player abilities that may radically change how planetary heroics feel. Influence rank 50 is a "sufficient condition" to make things like heroic/veteran mode Star Fortresses solo-able, for example, arguably a "necessary condition" as well. We already know there are going to be large changes with the feel of classes in 7.0, I sure don't want the "companion power" vibe to change. I'm counting on the fact that the lessons I've learned over 6.x regarding the grind to 306 will still be applicable in 7.0 and its grind to whatever, and being able to solo certain content with a rank 50 comp over and over, is part of that.

I played under the old system and I didn't think it was that hard. You could use gear from quest or hand me downs. Same could apply now.

This didn't work well. The Player Character and Companions tended to have different primary attributes and the hand-me-downs didn't match. (Willpower vs Aim and so on.)

Also what phalczen said in #85.

Edited by mike_carton