Petition: Server Transfers

UlaVii

Yea exactly, everyone one else moved in this case, but OP convinced his guild to stay around and said they would do their best to improve the server and create events, now, not even a week after that statement suddenly it's "impossible" and they want Bioware to introduce free transfers. Notice how they "tried their best" for a little less than a week after server transfers prices were changed, most guilds moved from ToFN a long time ago, there is unlikely that more than a few hundred moved the last ~2 weeks, compared to the thousands that moved earlier. Thus, they knew what their sitaution was, how the future would look like but they decided to stay anyway.

Now the want free transfers and Bioware to clean up for their own poor leadership decisions? I had a bit of respect for Stroke My Wookie and Ula Vii before, now it's all gone. If he really wanted the best for his guild, he would have done the same as the other big guilds on his server and moved to TRE earlier when prices was 90 CC, instead he wanted to be the big fish in the dead pond and look how that turned out.

SmW is probably the largest guild on TOFN. If you saw last week they got 11m conquest points. So a lot of characters and players are in that guild. I guess they dind't want to leave because they felt they could try save the community, yet shortly after they decided to stay, people kept leaving and leaving, and now they are asking to transfer.

I wouldn't entirely blame them though. They had to make a decision...ask each and every one of their guild members to move....and risk splitting the guild in half, losing their guild ship etc...or to stay and keep the guild. They decided to stay. Bioware said they would give "a couple of weeks notice" before they increased the price again, but it was only a weeks notice before they increased the price. AFAIK, everyone in the guild decided to remain.

People who say "he made the wrong choice" are correct, but it was a difficult choice to make. There are a lot of problems and issues when transferring over 500 players to another server, and at the time, they felt it was the right choice to stay. They didn't know how quickly the server would die. No one could have predicted that.

Edited by DarthWoad

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the want free transfers and Bioware to clean up for their own poor leadership decisions?

Yes. Because despite what you think this game is for, the #1 job it has to the consumer, is to make it entertaining. I see no value in punishing a guild for a poor choice like this...they did their best, they were wrong...and you want them to pay $10 a toon now too? HELL NO LOL!

Yes. Because despite what you think this game is for, the #1 job it has to the consumer, is to make it entertaining. I see no value in punishing a guild for a poor choice like this...they did their best, they were wrong...and you want them to pay $10 a toon now too? HELL NO LOL!
I payed 1000 x 4 in the last week. If they make the transfers free, I want a refund. Edited by ThomasStarWars

Yeah!!!

As much as CrazyCT and I absolutely despise one another with a venomous hatred that has surely taken a number of years off our short lives, and no matter how many times we spittle the others name, at least we do it without insults ;)

I kid!!! I appreciate that no matter how stubborn you can be, you seldom resort to name calling.

/bow.

SmW is probably the largest guild on TOFN. If you saw last week they got 11m conquest points. So a lot of characters and players are in that guild. I guess they dind't want to leave because they felt they could try save the community, yet shortly after they decided to stay, people kept leaving and leaving, and now they are asking to transfer.

I wouldn't entirely blame them though. They had to make a decision...ask each and every one of their guild members to move....and risk splitting the guild in half, losing their guild ship etc...or to stay and keep the guild. They decided to stay. Bioware said they would give "a couple of weeks notice" before they increased the price again, but it was only a weeks notice before they increased the price. AFAIK, everyone in the guild decided to remain.

Yea, I know they are the biggest guild now cause I was on ToFN before I moved to TRE, which we did somewhere before Christmas, just like Honour and Outbreak, before they moved these were the biggest guilds on ToFN. I totally understand the sentiment of not wanting to move to save the community, but if Honour and Outbreak could move, guilds with more active players than Stroke My Wookie and still retain their community? Well, my point is that this moving this is not new, people keep highlighting this last week thing cause it's when the prices was increased, but if you look at what guilds moved from ToFN to TRE, most guilds moved long before that. According to conquest page, 9 of the 11 biggest ToFN guilds from December moved to TRE before April(!).

I don't blame "them" so to speak, I blame their leadership, they were perfectly aware of the server situation, that the biggest guilds had already moved and many of the smaller did as well, but still they said that they would work on the server. I mean read this thread, written by OP about how he wants people to stay on the server. Now less than 2 weeks later suddenly it's all impossible?

Sums it up quite well. He made a choice, a choice that was clearly impacted by choices other players made. He made the wrong choice in this case. But it was his choice and he made it. So I really don't see why the studio needs to bend over for his bad choice. This is not a single player game, so other players choices impact other players. This is true for so many things inside an MMO, and is a source for many player complaints when they find themselves on the wrong side of a choice.

Many people simply refuse to take responsibility for their choices and the mistakes that can come from it, when they don't think about the consequences of choices. And it is getting worse over time it seems.

I think the backlash from the community would be bigger if Bioware introduces free transfers for the players left on ToFN than if they don't, and I think they know that. Its a shame for Stroke My Wookie players, but in the end it was their own call to stay.

All this forum drama over this particular topic....

.... probably encourages the studio to never consider doing something as generous as a 95% discount on something again.

Seriously, they watch the discussions between players. The way this current topic is flowing the forum... it does not encourage the studio. It teaches them to just stay the course because players are going to grouse and complain no matter what.

The discount ran for 10 months. People loved it and used it a lot. It's done now. It's been reset to a lower price then before the discount. Which means you can in fact transfer still, and a lower price then a year ago. You can even transfer between NA and EU now, and for less then the price of a character transfer a year ago. Suck it up and move on, IMO.

Which means you can in fact transfer still, and a lower price then a year ago. .

True that. 90,000 CC is also a lower price than 95,000CC.

If you don't like the forum drama, you're free to ignore it and move on, IMO.

Edited by DarthWoad

If you don't like the forum drama, you're free to ignore it and move on, IMO.

You mistake my comment about drama to be somehow offended by it. It's par for the course in MMO forums, and I am free to comment on it in any way I like as long as I don't break forum rules.

Anything else snarky to offer up? :)

Edited by Andryah

.... probably encourages the studio to never consider doing something as generous as a 95% discount on something again.

Seriously, they watch the discussions between players. The way this current topic is flowing the forum... it does not encourage the studio. It teaches them to just stay the course because players are going to grouse and complain no matter what.

The discount ran for 10 months. People loved it and used it a lot. It's done now. It's been reset to a lower price then before the discount. Which means you can in fact transfer still, and a lower price then a year ago. You can even transfer between NA and EU now, and for less then the price of a character transfer a year ago. Suck it up and move on, IMO.

This discussion has very little to do with what Bioware did and did not and about discounts and availability on transferring. It has much more to do with the way Bioware has handled communication with their player base and indirectly caused a server to die and their inactivity to resolve that issue. It is in nobody's interest to see everybody on TOFN stop playing because the server is dead: many people will leave the game despite having had an otherwise enjoyable time playing and Bioware will lose subscribers.

This is merely a call out for help so the people left behind for one reason or other can continue playing this game.

TBH, those cheap server transfers being available for so long are part of the cause for the issue.

Listen, I saw writing on the wall and finally listened to those like TUX telling me to stop being stubborn and insisting on BW to make the move free and painless. I get why some stayed behind to try and make it work and not lose their stuff they had worked hard to earn/build. But that last week of tranfers and heck ast weekend was a huge rush ot the door - even more so than I expected in moving myself. I kept a toon on server to hold my guild and it is a ghost town there. I sat in a queue for over an hour before logging off.

TUX is right, ignore these issues and players will just leave the game.

This discussion has very little to do with what Bioware did and did not and about discounts and availability on transferring. It has much more to do with the way Bioware has handled communication with their player base and indirectly caused a server to die and their inactivity to resolve that issue. It is in nobody's interest to see everybody on TOFN stop playing because the server is dead: many people will leave the game despite having had an otherwise enjoyable time playing and Bioware will lose subscribers.

This is merely a call out for help so the people left behind for one reason or other can continue playing this game.

I agree that they are poor communicators to the player base in general.

However, in this case this is about players choices impacting the play experience of other players. It is not the studios fault that players up and decided to move to another server. The studio gave all players equal opportunity and then let them make choices. And.. choices do have consequences in a multi-player game, including the choices made by other players. MMO players need to learn this and to be aware of what is going on around them in the context of other players.

No.. this is mostly about players who made wrong choices, or no choices, and now wanting a get out of jail free card because of the choices made freely by other players.

Players who want and need large populations for fast queue pops moved to bigger and more active servers. These players for the most part took advantage of the deep studio discount. Some did not, and now regret their indecision. They need to suck it up and own it. It's not like they cannot transfer.. they just don't like the fact that the discount is now over.

Edited by Andryah

They can still play the game perfectly fine? If they for some reason don't feel like they are able to complete enough group content on their server due to low population they are able to transfer to another server. We here at TRE are perfectly happy with our situation cause the server is alive and there is a lot of players doing all kinds of content, I mean seriously PvP is 24/7 even during weekdays and you see loads of SM/HM Ops forming, we don't need servers to be merged. However you can transfer to us for 1000 CC, it's expensive but you had the opportunity to transfer for just 90 for almost a year, shame you didn't. You win some, you lose some I guess, shame we will lose the ToFN players but most of the smart guildleaders moved so we still got them at least :)

Edited by RikuvonDrake

You mistake my comment about drama to be somehow offended by it. It's par for the course in MMO forums, and I am free to comment on it in any way I like as long as I don't break forum rules.

Anything else snarky to offer up? :)

Snarky? I think you mistake the tone of my comments to your own. I'd rather not break the forum rules and i'd rather be respectful when I post. :)

Anyway, in response to the thread topic, I think Bioware should give additional time in reduced transfer costs.

Edited by DarthWoad

All these various threads regarding server populations and the request for free moves/mergers/discounted moves/help etc. are getting a little tiresome.

I understand the issue, I can sympathize with certain people and their situation but to see the same discussion in multiple threads with the same people butting heads spouting the same arguments repeatedly.. can't they/we at least stick to one damned thread about it and leave it at that? I get it, you got shafted. You decided to stay in hopes of, because you missed the announcement, intentionally or whatever but does that really need multiple different threads with the same bile spewed back and forth?

I don't even mind forum drama, hello it's the internet duh but going around in circles across several threads is becoming rather blaaaaaaah.

Snarky? I think you mistake the tone of my comments to your own. I'd rather not break the forum rules and i'd rather be respectful when I post. :)

So I will take that to mean you are done issuing me snark. :)

By any measure, telling people who disagree and comment about an emotional direction in a thread to ignore the thread = snark. And all of us regulars in the forum are guilty of it from time to time.

Snark by the way is not against the forum rules. But it is snark.

Edited by Andryah

So I will take that to mean you are done issuing me snark. :)

By any measure, telling people who disagree and comment about an emotional direction in a thread to ignore the thread = snark.

Snark by the way is not against the forum rules. But it is snark.

I don't see what your post has anything to do with this thread topic. All you're doing is creating more unnecessary drama. I don't see any of my posts as being snarky, maybe you read them in a different way. I'm not here to attack you or anyone.

Edited by DarthWoad

I don't see what your post has anything to do with this thread topic. All you're doing is creating more unnecessary drama.

My comment was specific to encouraging posters to be at least aware that forum drama can have consequences opposite of what they want. ;)

I don't see what your comment telling me to leave or ignore the thread has to do with the topic of the thread.

All you were doing is derailing the thread topic with off topic swipes at me.

Are we done now? Can we return to regular drama now?

Just read through all 30 pages in this topic.

People can be strange sometimes. The want for instant gratification seems to have resulted in a cascading shift in server populations. It's funny when I think about it, the server that I've played on since ToR released, was largely considered one of the less popular and lesser populated servers, and now it seems to be one of the greatest from the talk I've been reading in General chat. All the while that this has been going on, I've never given much though to how many people might be online. Well, come rain or shine, I'll still be on my home server until either it gets merged or the end times come for the game.

Anywho, not to detract too much from the topic,

+1 to helping people enjoy the game (joining more populated servers if they wish to)

Just read through all 30 pages in this topic.

People can be strange sometimes. The want for instant gratification seems to have resulted in a cascading shift in server populations. It's funny when I think about it, the server that I've played on since ToR released, was largely considered one of the less popular and lesser populated servers, and now it seems to be one of the greatest from the talk I've been reading in General chat. All the while that this has been going on, I've never given much though to how many people might be online. Well, come rain or shine, I'll still be on my home server until either it gets merged or the end times come for the game.

Anywho, not to detract too much from the topic,

+1 to helping people enjoy the game (joining more populated servers if they wish to)

I applaud your viewpoint and outlook. I wish there was more of it in the forum. :)

People who say "he made the wrong choice" are correct, but it was a difficult choice to make. There are a lot of problems and issues when transferring over 500 players to another server, and at the time, they felt it was the right choice to stay. They didn't know how quickly the server would die. No one could have predicted that.

It may have been a "difficult choice", but it was still HIS CHOICE.

He made the WRONG choice.

The fact that it was a "difficult choice" does not entitle him or his guild to a "do over" or free transfers.

My comment was specific to encouraging posters to be at least aware that forum drama can have consequences opposite of what they want. ;)

I don't see what your comment telling me to leave or ignore the thread has to do with the topic of the thread.

All you were doing is derailing the thread topic with off topic swipes at me.

Are we done now? Can we return to regular drama now?

You were commenting on the thread drama and told people to just "move on". I responded to your problematic post and now I feel you're attack and poking me for something I didn't do, as if you're trying to get a negative reaction out of me (and therefore me breaking forum rules). I'm just trying to be respectful as I can be and have a good discussion about the topic, and I would hope that you intended to do the same.

Yes, we can return to the topic discussion now. I would appreciate it if you'd stop attacking and swiping and poking me now. Thanks :)

Edited by DarthWoad

However, in this case this is about players choices impacting the play experience of other players. It is not the studios fault that players up and decided to move to another server. The studio gave all players equal opportunity and then let them make choices. And.. choices do have consequences in a multi-player game, including the choices made by other players. MMO players need to learn this and to be aware of what is going on around them in the context of other players.

Exactly, choices have consequences. In this case it was the decision from Bioware to remove a 95% discount on transfers with only 6 days warning for players to make their decision that spurred a panic exodus from players. So as I said, Bioware indirectly caused this issue. The fact that it will only harm their player base if they take no steps to solve this issue one way or another will be the consequence for Bioware. The consequence for the people left on TOFN for one reason or other, be it stubborness, faith that the server will survive the flock mentality of the panic exodus or any other reason is that they will have to live on a dead server or quit the game.

In the end the blame doesn't lie at one party but several parties feels the consequence of the choices made, and as I wrote earlier, this benefits nobody.

Exactly, choices have consequences. In this case it was the decision from Bioware to remove a 95% discount on transfers with only 6 days warning for players to make their decision that spurred a panic exodus from players. So as I said, Bioware indirectly caused this issue. The fact that it will only harm their player base if they take no steps to solve this issue one way or another will be the consequence for Bioware. The consequence for the people left on TOFN for one reason or other, be it stubborness, faith that the server will survive the flock mentality of the panic exodus or any other reason is that they will have to live on a dead server or quit the game.

In the end the blame doesn't lie at one party but several parties feels the consequence of the choices made, and as I wrote earlier, this benefits nobody.

I agree completely. Bioware gave 6 days warning instead of a couple weeks warning, and it's made guilds make bad choices which has ruined their experience with the game.

Technically, the studio indirectly caused this issue by releasing an MMO and letting anyone who wants to play... play the game. MMOs by definition change over time, and a lot about game play IS influenced by the actions of other players.

Even if they had given a full two weeks notice, or even a months notice..... nothing different would be happening on the servers or in the forum over this. People rationalize and procrastinate all the time, in real life and inside virtual games. Some of these same people will complain and blame when they make choices they later regret.

No amount of notice, or action by the studio would stop silly petition threads, much less dramatic complaint threads.

Petition threads by the way are frowned upon by the studio. Back in the day, they deleted them. Now days... the studio gives the forum community a bit more latitude, which is good as long as it does not get abused, IMO.

Edited by Andryah