Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Its simple for me if its likely that making a mac client would be revenue neutral at least sure why not. However taking away valuable development money to pander to a very small minority of people then no. Maybe bioware could charge a premium for the mac client so that overall it doesnt take any cash away from ongoing game development ?

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a financial question BioWare/EA will figure out.

If they determine there is enough of a market to make implementing a Mac version more profitable than the rest of their activities, they'll do it. Of course, they would have done it with release if they really thought there was profit to be had, so don't get your hopes up.

Actually it's closer to 20%, but, whatever.

Incorrect, go do some research. The highest numbers show about 14.04%, however when you average out all the statcounters to get the most accurate esimtate. You get 8.92%

Windows has an install base of 1.25 billion Windows machines. Apple may be doing well in the mobile space for the time being, but when it comes to devices that do more then watch youtube videos. Microsoft is still king.

Far more than ever.

I've never been able to understand why though? You pay 2x more for the EXACT same hardware, usually worse specs. The only way to jusify it is to actually believe the MAC OS operating system worth that insanely inflated cost. Which it isn't.

Apple seems to be able to convice the near-retarded computer users that Apple is some magical OS that never crashes and never get viruses (why write virsues for an OS no on uses... thats the real reason). Most people with a brain laugh and go buy a real machine.

Being in the IT industry I cannot bring myself to buy an Apple computer, I feel like someone is stealling half my money when I do so.

I've never been able to understand why though? You pay 2x more for the EXACT same hardware, usually worse specs. The only way to jusify it is to actually believe the MAC OS operating system worth that insanely inflated cost. Which it isn't.

Apple seems to be able to convice the near-retarded computer users that Apple is some magical OS that never crashes and never get viruses (why write virsues for an OS no on uses... thats the real reason). Most people with a brain laugh and go buy a real machine.

Being in the IT industry I cannot bring myself to buy an Apple computer, I feel like someone is stealling half my money when I do so.

Being in the IT industry, you will NEVER be able to understand why. Open your mind. Perhaps... just perhaps... there's more to what Apple does.

All I know is people like you are going to be antiques soon.

Edited by Lethality

Being in the IT industry, you will NEVER be able to understand why. Open your mind. Perhaps... just perhaps... there's more to what Apple does.

All I know is people like you are going to be antiques soon.

So with all of these computers you will no longer need a IT Industry?

They stated at the guild summit they are not doing a Mac Client because it runs fine under bootcamp.

I can tell you what apple does they offer a very expensive product that they support well and with limited configurations they also limit the amount and type of issues you can have while running their OS. The problem is the majority of the world does not nor will ever use them due to lack interest from the mainstream. While apple has scored major hits with the Ipod, Ipad, and Iphone, their Computers still fail to catch on due to price and selection.

So with all of these computers you will no longer need a IT Industry?

They stated at the guild summit they are not doing a Mac Client because it runs fine under bootcamp.

I can tell you what apple does they offer a very expensive product that they support well and with limited configurations they also limit the amount and type of issues you can have while running their OS. The problem is the majority of the world does not nor will ever use them due to lack interest from the mainstream. While apple has scored major hits with the Ipod, Ipad, and Iphone, their Computers still fail to catch on due to price and selection.

They are doing a Mac client.

The products Apple makes are what most people want going forward. The days of the mainstream are here, and the old-school "IT" guy (as the above poster) who tinkers with his machine just to get it to run for 20 minutes are over. No one wants that, and developers are certainly not targeting those who do.

Good luck.

Incorrect, go do some research. The highest numbers show about 14.04%, however when you average out all the statcounters to get the most accurate esimtate. You get 8.92%

Windows has an install base of 1.25 billion Windows machines. Apple may be doing well in the mobile space for the time being, but when it comes to devices that do more then watch youtube videos. Microsoft is still king.

LOL, all this proves is that people are cheap and accept crap as the norm. Which begs the question... why complain about SWTOR when you happily accept mediocrity in your OS?

I am also in the IT industry. It's because of that fact that I love Macs. In fact, I won't even buy my own company's products anymore because I know it'll break or I'll have to restore it after a couple years tops.

My work computer, using Windows 7 Enterprise, had to be reimaged immediately out of the box because the file system was corrupt...immediately out of the box!

I've had my Mac for over 4 years, upgraded the OS 3 times and never, NEVER had to restore it back to factory settings. I know people who upgrade their Windows OS once and have all kinds of driver problems until they give up and do a clean install.

I think you need to read this http://www.todaysiphone.com/2011/11/apple-could-out-sell-hp-by-2012-says-hp-ceo/

They're about to become the top computer seller.

"If the Ipad counts as a computer" :rolleyes: yes technically it is a computer, but so is the PS3, the Xbox, and Smartphones. When talking about computers, we are talking about traditional computers, Desktops and laptops.

EDIT: Oh also, HP is just 1 company that builds Windows based computers out of thousands upon thousands, heck there are 4 computer shops that builds PCs on my way to work, which is a 12 minute drive. How many companies build Mac?

Edited by Wolfeisberg

You do realize that if you sell more PCs than the top-selling PC company then that means you become the top-selling PC company. That's just how it works. Edited by Toxen

You do realize that if you sell more PCs than the top-selling PC company then that means you become the top-selling PC company. That's just how it works.

We need a orange to orange comparison. Are they going to surpass HP in Computer sales, not tablet type devices?

Cause that article you showed, put the caveat of "If you count IPad as a computer" and at the very end the writer states take the projection with a grain of salt.

They are doing a Mac client.

The products Apple makes are what most people want going forward. The days of the mainstream are here, and the old-school "IT" guy (as the above poster) who tinkers with his machine just to get it to run for 20 minutes are over. No one wants that, and developers are certainly not targeting those who do.

Good luck.

By your logic, iPhone and the iPad are trash, because they sell so many of them?

Run for 20 minutes, I dont even understand that comment? The ENTIRE E-commerce world runs on Windows... I am pretty sure if it was a un-useable, unstable, unreliable platform the business world would be unable to funcation. It is amazzing how well the Apple brand brian washes people.

Hey folks,

We did a bit of cleanup in this thread.

A couple of reminders, here:

-While we do understand that people feel passionate about an opinion they have of something, we do expect that when people post (and especially when they disagree) that they do so respectfully and constructively. Rude comments, insults, and other such content is not allowed.

-This thread's intent is to discuss support in the community for a Mac OS X client for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. While a small amount of discussion about operating systems is to be expected because of this, please note that derailing a thread into talking about it is considered to be off-topic and is also not allowed.

As always, if you do feel that a post disregards these reminders or otherwise breaks the Rules of Conduct, please Flag the post rather than respond to it in kind.

We return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. Thanks for your understanding.

We need a orange to orange comparison. Are they going to surpass HP in Computer sales, not tablet type devices?

Cause that article you showed, put the caveat of "If you count IPad as a computer" and at the very end the writer states take the projection with a grain of salt.

Those words are coming from the CEO of HP, not some internet forum... it doesn't get more credible than that.

To her - and the shareholders - tablets ARE computers and are taking a big chunk out of traditional desktop sales. Tablets are what mainstream computers of the near future look like. many people will not "need" computers anymore... the tablet serves their purposes perfectly fine.

Back to that PC gaming is now a niche thing... it's happening.

PC sales hit a wall in 'post-PC' world

Edited by Lethality

my iMac is getting 30FPS max and my buddies normal PC which is worth less than my iMac (lower spec) getting 120~ fps on high settings

I would like to get a client and official support or I will switch back to WOW

Edited by Lasani

Do not add support for Mac, it's a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere... Maybe in a couple years after all the IMPORTANT technical glitches have been worked out...

Macs are not for gaming. If you didn't realize that when you bought it, you do now.

Edited by -Kraxis-