New Ossus decorations requiring premium materials

Estelindis

It's a GRIND. Progression is a grind. Most of the currency is a GRIND gearing is a GRIND reputation is a GRIND. Conquest is a GRIND leveling is a GRIND, Command ranks are a GRIND

- Okay some are easier than others, and some don't feel much like a grind, since it happens more-or-less naturally, but it's still repeated play for a reward.

We are at the stage where making people repeat content over and over is the only way to keep people in the game since new stuff has slowed to a trickle.

Once you grasp that and make a decision whether to go around the hamster wheel again and again or when to get off, you can rest easy in your bed at night.

"If it be worth stooping for, there it lies in your eye. If not, be it his that finds it. "

They are expensive, but it is not impossible to gain the currency to buy them if you feel it is worth the effort.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a GRIND. Progression is a grind. Most of the currency is a GRIND gearing is a GRIND reputation is a GRIND. Conquest is a GRIND leveling is a GRIND, Command ranks are a GRIND

- Okay some are easier than others, and some don't feel much like a grind, since it happens more-or-less naturally, but it's still repeated play for a reward.

We are at the stage where making people repeat content over and over is the only way to keep people in the game since new stuff has slowed to a trickle.

Once you grasp that and make a decision whether to go around the hamster wheel again and again or when to get off, you can rest easy in your bed at night.

"If it be worth stooping for, there it lies in your eye. If not, be it his that finds it. "

They are expensive, but it is not impossible to gain the currency to buy them if you feel it is worth the effort.

As game is an entertaining product i expect there to be things to do for me that entertertain me to keep on playing. If whole gameplay starts to be built around things i don't like to do, then that i don't play that game. Very simple.

It is not about grind or working for things, anyone who knows me would laugh right out loud for idea of me not wanting to work for things in games. But there is difference on having satisfying grind doing something you like to do and not having anything to do in game when you don't get anything from activities you actually enjoy. Cause once again, it is entertainment product.

As game is an entertaining product i expect there to be things to do for me that entertertain me to keep on playing. If whole gameplay starts to be built around things i don't like to do, then that i don't play that game. Very simple.

It is not about grind or working for things, anyone who knows me would laugh right out loud for idea of me not wanting to work for things in games. But there is difference on having satisfying grind doing something you like to do and not having anything to do in game when you don't get anything from activities you actually enjoy. Cause once again, it is entertainment product.

I think this is what people are missing when they insist that players should just buck up and play content they dislike. It's a game, not a job. It's not supposed to be a chore. It's supposed to be fun.

That doesn't mean it can't be challenging, or time-intensive. But it does mean that it shouldn't be a situation where players' only alternatives are to play content they hate or to walk away from the game because the devs have decided that only one playstyle counts.

After all the bugs and BS we've had to put up with lately, making our in-game lives harder is a really dumb move.

Making dumb moves that reduce player enjoyment is the ONLY thing Bioware has succeeded at in SWTOR for the last 2 years.

It is almost like they want less players.

All The Best

They aren’t trying to alienate you, they are trying to incentivize behaviors that will help the longevity of the game.

And as with most of the changes they've made the last 24 months achieved the exact opposite to what they intended.

Locking stuff I may want behind modes of play I don't enjoy does not incentivise me to play more; it DOES incentivise me to play less though.

The perceived lack of reward is not the problem with those modes of play, it is the mode of play itself.

MMORPG PVP is so unenjoyable to me that even if winning just 10 matches gave me 100 of every Decoration I could ever want I'd still not do it.

All The Best

It seems like an easy solution to both the gearing and decoration problems would be this --

Add a vendor that will exchange relics for monumental crystals and masterwork crystals.

If you want to reward group players and encourage group content, make the price very steep.

Let it be a real grind to earn enough relics to convert, but reward all types of play and effort.

Even if the path is narrow and steep uphill, give solo and casual players some path for progression.

It seems like an easy solution to both the gearing and decoration problems would be this --

Add a vendor that will exchange relics for monumental crystals and masterwork crystals.

If you want to reward group players and encourage group content, make the price very steep.

Let it be a real grind to earn enough relics to convert, but reward all types of play and effort.

Even if the path is narrow and steep uphill, give solo and casual players some path for progression.

I have been thinking the same. There is already a weekly limit of earning 250 relics a week, which would prevent this source of crystals from being seriously exploited. Since we're working with an upper limit of 1,000 relics, how about 500 relics for masterwork and 1,000 for monumental?

I have been thinking the same. There is already a weekly limit of earning 250 relics a week, which would prevent this source of crystals from being seriously exploited. Since we're working with an upper limit of 1,000 relics, how about 500 relics for masterwork and 1,000 for monumental?

I'd personally support that.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

• 3 months later...

With the news that unassembled components and masterwork crystals will likely be converted to credits in 6.0, many decoration fans are asking: will the Ossus decorations that currently cost premium materials become available for credits in 6.0? Or will the decorations become unattainable? I ask BW to please provide some clarity on this so that players who haven't acquired these decorations yet can plan appropriately. Thanks.

(Here are the references for unassembled components and masterwork crystals, if anyone missed the news.)

You will not need unassembled components in 6.0, feel free to spend them. Most likely they will be converted to credits with Onslaught's launch.

And the fate of Masterwork Shards as well please. Im building up a decent stock of those as well.

Same as above. It is a fair assumption that the currency you use to acquire gear now is not going to work in Onslaught. We'll be talking in more detail about how acquisition will work in the coming weeks.
Edited by Estelindis

• 1 month later...

I reiterate the question asked in my previous post: will the new Ossus decorations be available for credits in 6.0, instead of the premium currencies for which they're currently purchasable (currencies that'll be replaced by credits in 6.0)?

Have asked this in several venues now, including livestream and the Reddit AMA. Would really appreciate if the devs would provide clarity on this, so we can wisely spend our resources without missing out on this decorations.

We need a good place to spend relics. They are practically useless. I've been maxed out on them for some time now. I can only imagine how the rest of you are as well. In fact when I loot a big chest.. I can't even take any more of them.

IMO... what the heck is wrong with providing a reasonable outlet for the relics. Why not be able to spend them on decorations for SH.. Not all of us are bagillionaires ... but we do have a need to be able to spend relics.

Just my $.02 worth this AM.

Edited by OlBuzzard

We need a good place to spend relics. They are practically useless. I've been maxed out on them for some time now. I can only imagine how the rest of you are as well. In fact when I loot a big chest.. I can't even take any more of them.

IMO... what the heck is wrong with providing a reasonable outlet for the relics. Why not be able to spend them on decorations for SH...

Completely agree. Being able to buy the newer Ossus decorations for the Ossus relic currency instead would be ideal. Hope devs can give us an answer on this before 6.0, the sooner the better. :)

completely agree. Being able to buy the newer ossus decorations for the ossus relic currency instead would be ideal. Hope devs can give us an answer on this before 6.0, the sooner the better. :)

right on !!!

Edited by OlBuzzard

This is an MMO. If you want to solo it, that's your right. But that means there is going to be content out of your reach.

Honestly, this game has the most hostility to group content I've ever seen in an MMO. But only group content is going to sustain it. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's true.

Not only am I fine with the masterwork deco vendor, I think they should be adding more rewards to group content.

Not only am I fine with the masterwork deco vendor, I think they should be adding more rewards to group content.

Even if you disagree with the original premise of the topic, that's kinda beside the point now. We are moving on from those currencies and would like an update. Now that they're removing masterwork crystals and other 5.0-tier premium materials, we'd like to know whether these decorations will be purchasable via some other currency in 6.0. Decorations that were previously bought with data crystals and PvP commendations can now be bought with credits. We hope devs will tell us if this will be the case for the new Ossus decorations in 6.0.

Edited by Estelindis

Even if you disagree with the original premise of the topic, that's kinda beside the point now. We are moving on from those currencies and would like an update. Now that they're removing masterwork crystals and other 5.0-tier premium materials, we'd like to know whether these decorations will be purchasable via some other currency in 6.0. Decorations that were previously bought with data crystals and PvP commendations can now be bought with credits. We hope devs will tell us if this will be the case for the new Ossus decorations in 6.0.

I would like to know this too :)

The game really needs a unified currency instead of needing to keep track of so many different ones. Credits shuold be the universal currency. Everyone can get credits for doing any content they actually enjoy. Would some things be outrageously expensive? Yes. Would everything be in reach for all players regardless of how they enjoy playing? Yes.

:) Absolutely, a Unified Currency. We've had too many already and to me anyway, its nearly all useless. They're not giving me any reason to play in any one spot or another just for what little is offered.. At that One Spot only. I think I've maxed out the Rep at "One Place" in my SWTOR time but that was only because a very specific item and the heroics were fun; as to their "Herding" the players from planet to planet, it's BS and smacks of "Company Centric" over "enjoy SWTOR as a whole" and especially "Play how you like".

• 3 months later...

I am yet again asking what will happen in 6.0 to Ossus decorations that currently require unassembled components, masterwork crystals, and monumental crystals. I have asked this on the forum. I have asked it in offical livestreams. I have asked in the Reddit AMA. I've waited patiently, but still without an answer. Every PTS update I check to see if the vendor has changed its requirements to credits, but I see no answer there either.

As 6.0 gets closer, time is running out for those of us who'll need to do content that's not very comfortable for us if this is our last chance to pick up these decorations. People playing top-level content like veteran Queen or ranked PvP simply do not want to be saddled with players who don't normally do this content and are only in the group for the sake of decorations. I try to approach the content with a friendly spirit and a willingness to learn, but I can't ignore the fact that people in my group are worse off because I'm there. And I wouldn't be doing this to them if I knew what was happening with these decorations.

Please, Bioware. Will the Ossus decorations currently requiring endgame materials become available for credits in 6.0? Will they become available for some new endgame currency? Or will they cease to be available at all?

Desperately awaiting an answer... Thanks.

Edited by Estelindis

I am yet again asking what will happen in 6.0 to Ossus decorations that currently require unassembled components, masterwork crystals, and monumental crystals. I have asked this on the forum. I have asked it in offical livestreams. I have asked in the Reddit AMA. I've waited patiently, but still without an answer. Every PTS update I check to see if the vendor has changed its requirements to credits, but I see no answer there either.

As 6.0 gets closer, time is running out for those of us who'll need to do content that's not very comfortable for us if this is our last chance to pick up these decorations. People playing top-level content like veteran Queen or ranked PvP simply do not want to be saddled with players who don't normally do this content and are only in the group for the sake of decorations. I try to approach the content with a friendly spirit and a willingness to learn, but I can't ignore the fact that people in my group are worse off because I'm there. And I wouldn't be doing this to them if I knew what was happening with these decorations.

Please, Bioware. Will the Ossus decorations currently requiring endgame materials become available for credits in 6.0? Will they become available for some new endgame currency? Or will they cease to be available at all?

Aren't those traders going to sell stuff for credits in 6.0?

Aren't those traders going to sell stuff for credits in 6.0?

I'd like to think so, but I haven't seen BW say anywhere that all vendors currently selling items for non-credits currencies are going to be swapping to credits in 6.0. For instance, vendors selling various current tiers of endgame gear, which exist on the fleet in the live game, aren't on PTS right now. Other vendors selling new endgame gear have replaced them.

I know there is precedent for decoration costs swapping from non-credits currencies to credits (e.g. PvP commendation vendors, data crystal vendors), but I'm not going to assume this'll automatically happen in this case too. (Especially when the vendor that trades for the Umbara currency / Alliance Recon Data has been changed to credits already, but the Ossus crystal decoration vendor hasn't.) If I assume wrongly and then end up unable to get the decorations once 6.0 hits, I'll have only myself to blame. That's why I've been asking BW for a clear answer.

Edited by Estelindis

Excellent question! I hope Bioware answers it.

Unofficially, I'd say you only need to wait until Oct.22 to find out - and even then things might change.

If there's a particular deco you want - just buy it now. You might need to do a bit of work to get the currency, but that's part of the point. Those decos are not only just to be decorative, but to also make a sort of statement about what you may have accomplished in the game. Sort of like the rewards you get for winning PvP, or completing MM OPs, etc - part of the appeal is that not everyone has them.

Edited by JediQuaker

Unofficially, I'd say you only need to wait until Oct.22 to find out - and even then things might change.

If there's a particular deco you want - just buy it now. You might need to do a bit of work to get the currency, but that's part of the point. Those decos are not only just to be decorative, but to also make a sort of statement about what you may have accomplished in the game. Sort of like the rewards you get for winning PvP, or completing MM OPs, etc - part of the appeal is that not everyone has them.

Personally I don't follow this philosophy of "the appeal is that not everyone has them." My decorating attitude is simply to get at least one copy of everything, so I have as many options as possible (particularly when decorating guild strongholds). I don't care if something is rare or not. I see decorating at an activity about aesthetic taste and visual design, with pretty much no relationship to gameplay competence.

Nonetheless, I'm already attempting exactly what you suggest. Indeed, I've been trying on-and-off for the past few months. But frankly most of the people I group with would prefer that I stay well away from their top-tier content (sometimes conveying this opinion in such an abusive manner that it would be against forum rules to repeat). I do my best to take such comments in my stride and learn from my experiences. But if it turns out I'll be able to get these decorations for creds in a month then I'll wish I'd saved myself and a bunch of other players a lot of heartache. Plus, to be perfectly frank, this doesn't seem like something that would be terribly difficult for Bioware to just tell us.

Edited by Estelindis