Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I suppose there's a need to take artistic license and world management into account. I mean if the devs approached it from a direct viewpoint of Passion = DS for everyone then they'd need to comb through every bit of dialogue and go, 'Is that passionate? DARK SIDE POINTS FOR YOU!' and everyone would be running about throwing Force Lightning at people, choking accountants and having little Sith-babies all over the place.

I'm guessing it's a contextual thing. The Force is life, but one of the primary motivators to maintaining the existence of a species is inherently Dark Side? I don't think so. I think it's more a matter of it being DS when your passion overrules your greater sense of balance, or when it sways you from a more inherently LS path (which probably still doesn't explain the no-DS-for-snogging-Nadia thing).

Incidentally, you figured what I meant anyway, but I meant dark side points, not negative affection....I have no idea why I typed that, must have been tired.

But yes, that was what I was trying to say...it's all about the context. I haven't played a JK yet, but the Consular takes a fairly guarded/cautious route with the relationship and it feels less about passion and more about bonding, and challenging the Jedi code's stance on relationships. There's certainly talk about the danger of attachment and all that, though I can't remember the specifics. But you're right,, it seems like cherry picking to some degree.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'd say that's fairly important. If SGRs are implemented, you can bet that BioWare will receive some flak over it. Thus if they receive flak for adding them, but no flak for leaving them out (i.e. supporters of SGR are quiet) then the choice to leave them out becomes easier.
I wholly agree with what you're saying. We definitely can't just sit back and say "It'll happen eventually," we need to be sure BioWare still knows it has subscribers who want this feature. However, everything we've heard from BioWare indicates that SGRs are still coming, and they've specifically said that negative press won't keep SGRs from being implemented.

But yes, that was what I was trying to say...it's all about the context. I haven't played a JK yet, but the Consular takes a fairly guarded/cautious route with the relationship and it feels less about passion and more about bonding, and challenging the Jedi code's stance on relationships. There's certainly talk about the danger of attachment and all that, though I can't remember the specifics. But you're right,, it seems like cherry picking to some degree.
I haven't played a JC to the point where you meet Nadia, but I have played a JK to 24, and at that point, there's some Kira-specific stuff in the class missions. I couldn't flirt with her since my JK is female, but the missions really make it seem like Kira and the JK are forming an attachment, going against the Jedi code. It's quite possible the romances were designed to be contrasts to each other, challenging the Jedi stance on relationships vs. deliberately flouting it.

I know BW said they're not just going to rewrite the relationships with the gender changed for SGRs, but if Nadia and Kira are both SGR options, I do hope these aspects aren't changed. Now that I think about it, this is all stuff I saw with a female JK, so it should still be there, though I know one dialogue I did with Kira is different for a male. But we shall see.

Edited by MusedMoose

You say the basic frame work is in, and then point to something that has unfortunate implications.

If I remember rightly (and I do, because I just looked up a youtube video of the conversation), Vette reacts badly, and you take a hit to her affection when you say that.

She says, and I quote,

(at about 0:45 in the video I linked). So she either thinks you're joking, or she is really embarrassed or uncomfortable with it (or both) - now I suppose it's arguable it's because Tivva is her sister, and not because it's two women, but it's not the best or most positive example of "subtext" in the game.

Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?

I get the feeling it was because Tivva is her sister, tbh. Well, I could have pointed out Kaliyo's bisexuality as noted in her letters to the IA after the main story is over.....

lol She says she wants to bring several "attractive young people" onboard for long hyperspace trips. She doesn't specify men or women, and seems to want a combination of both. Also, in one of her missions.... She seems REALLY friendly with her Twi'lek friend on Nar Shaddaa, with some sexual overtones to their conversations.

However, the point I was making with the previous example I gave was that some characters are openly talking about it ingame. :)

Edited by Captain_Zone

isn't Kaliyo Djannis gay?

my female sniper thought so. i gotta let her know the bad news

My male operative would have to strongly disagree with you. I would definetly say she is Bi.

Very little spoiler but just in case:

At different time you meet her ex's some are male but at least one is female. Not sure if it is actually stated that the were involved romantically but they way they meet..... strogly hints at it. yet other are males and she did eventually marry my operative. so I would sauy bi in her case.

• Dev Post
Hello everyone; we've had to remove some posts from this thread. We've seen several posts that were not on the topic of the first post, and we ask that you avoid discussion of real-world social issues. This thread is primarily for discussing when further information will be available, and not for debate about social issues or whether this kind of content should or should not be available in the game. Also, please remember that if you see posts that violate the rules (in this thread or in any others thread), you can use the "Report Post" feature to bring it to our attention and we'll address is per forum policies. Thanks for helping keep this thread constructive and on-topic! Edited by AllisonBerryman

What if I don't want to redo conversations.

The ideal solution if any pre level 50 content for companions is added to implement a legacy perk/item you can buy at a store that allows to reset a companion´s affection status and dialog progress.

This would not only work for SGRAs but also if other content is added. As example if you play a trooper many dialoges with companions sound like they would be interesting missions for the player to undertake instead of just hearing your companions talking about them.

Edited by Wittand

The ideal solution if any pre level 50 content for companions is added to implement a legacy perk/item you can buy at a store that allows to reset a companion´s affection status and dialog progress.

This would not only work for SGRAs but also if other content is added. As example if you play a trooper many dialoges with companions sound like they would be interesting missions for the player to undertake instead of just hearing your companions talking about them.

That's one option, yes. A generic conversation option would be good, too, perhaps tied into the intercom item on the starship, so that you could call up a specific companion and get a 'Tell me about...' dialogue wheel with pertinent options depending on how much of the companion's dialogue you've unlocked.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like that this is becoming a very lost cause and that it will never happen? Believe me, I would very much love to see SGRA in the game. But I feel like it is one of those things that Bioware used to just coax people into the game and then they've been fairly hush hush about it.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like that this is becoming a very lost cause and that it will never happen? Believe me, I would very much love to see SGRA in the game. But I feel like it is one of those things that Bioware used to just coax people into the game and then they've been fairly hush hush about it.

Since there hasn't been much communication on SGR content, it's most likely lower in priority at this time.

Since there hasn't been much communication on SGR content, it's most likely lower in priority at this time.

Unfortunately with MMOs "low priority" tends to become "not being worked on" without even as much as by-your-leave. I know I'm one of the evil, nay-saying, morale-terrorists, but I am starting to highly doubt Bioware even cares about this part of the game anymore. If they do still care they have a funny way of showing it.

Originally Posted by DarkTrooperV

Actually I think that the fact they are so quiet about it might in a way be a good sign. If they had decisded not to implement SGR at all they would have by now at least tried to say that there would be further delays ... That the statement that it was for this year had been an optimistic goal... something along those lines . You know preparing the ground for the actuall bad news. Right now there is ... nothing. Therefore they do not feel that they are not going to meet the deadline in such a way that they have to soften up the bad news. They keep quiet because anything they would say would just snowball into more questions that they would not be able to answer.

No the silence should be taken as a positive sign.

:)

Edited by KidRaid

Not really, just b/c we haven't heard much of anything about future story/companion content.

If they were announcing all these cool new companion storyline features without mentioning SGRA's, then I'd be worried.

I don't think they see SGRA's as a feature that stands on it's own but see it as just a part of improvements/expansion of companion/story content that will add lots of other stuff too....and they have been hush hush about that. So, I see less as "they aren't talking about SGRA's" and more as "they aren't talking about new story/companion content."

Well, beyond the new droid thingy that I don't care at all about.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Actually I think that the fact they are so quiet about it might in a way be a good sign. If they had decisded not to implement SGR at all they would have by now at least tried to say that there would be further delays ... That the statement that it was for this year had been an optimistic goal... something along those lines . You know preparing the ground for the actuall bad news. Right now there is ... nothing. Therefore they do not feel that they are not going to meet the deadline in such a way that they have to soften up the bad news. They keep quiet because anything they would say would just snowball into more questions that they would not be able to answer.

No the silence should be taken as a positive sign.

:)

I hate to be the one to bring further negativity into this thread, but the attitude of "no news is good news" may be rather misplaced. When this topic first came up, it was asked for over two years prior to the game launching, with not a peep out of Bioware. It was only three to four months before launch that it was finally revealed that there would be no SGRA in the game, and even then it was a terse "No" when asked about them in an interview. There was no explanation, no reassurances that they would be introduced later, nothing.

So, based on their past behaviour, the fact that there is no word on this is actually a sign of bad news. But then, I'm increasingly becoming rather jaded with the way Bioware is running the game, so my attitude may be tainting my outlook on things. Definitely take anything I say with a very large grain of salt.

I hate to be the one to bring further negativity into this thread, but the attitude of "no news is good news" may be rather misplaced. When this topic first came up, it was asked for over two years prior to the game launching, with not a peep out of Bioware. It was only three to four months before launch that it was finally revealed that there would be no SGRA in the game, and even then it was a terse "No" when asked about them in an interview. There was no explanation, no reassurances that they would be introduced later, nothing.

Actually, the official statement released in September, three months before release, did definitively say that they would be included at a later date. You're giving Bioware far too little credit on the matter, I'm afraid. This was much more than "a terse no."

"Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options."

It was just vague to the point of being useless on how it would be implemented, what characters it would include, and when we could expect it aside from sometime after the game is released until it is cancelled.

Of course, this was followed by half a year of complete silence on the matter until March, so... I wouldn't dare call it a high-priority concern. :p

Actually, the official statement released in September, three months before release, did definitively say that they would be included at a later date. You're giving Bioware far too little credit on the matter, I'm afraid. This was much more than "a terse no."

It was just vague to the point of being useless on how it would be implemented, what characters it would include, and when we could expect it aside from sometime after the game is released until it is cancelled.

Of course, this was followed by half a year of complete silence on the matter until March, so... I wouldn't dare call it a high-priority concern. :p

Again, I hate to be the one to bring further negativity in, but that statement was made after the interview where the question was asked, "SGRAs. Are they in the game?" The answer from the person being interviewed at the time (and I can't for the life of me remember who it was) was a simple, "No." That's it.

When that interview came out, the multi-thread request for SGRA information exploded, with people demanding an answer as to why Bioware didn't say anything in the previous two plus years if they weren't going to be in, and what the reason for not being in was. After a week (where the thread capped at least twice, possibly three times), the mods popped in to say that an official statement would be released. Three weeks after that was when Stephen Reid made the statement you quoted above.

Again, I hate to be the one to bring further negativity in, but that statement was made after the interview where the question was asked, "SGRAs. Are they in the game?" The answer from the person being interviewed at the time (and I can't for the life of me remember who it was) was a simple, "No." That's it.

When that interview came out, the multi-thread request for SGRA information exploded, with people demanding an answer as to why Bioware didn't say anything in the previous two plus years if they weren't going to be in, and what the reason for not being in was. After a week (where the thread capped at least twice, possibly three times), the mods popped in to say that an official statement would be released. Three weeks after that was when Stephen Reid made the statement you quoted above.

Ok, you're misinterpreting what was said and the context of the interview. They aren't in yet, but they have been promised for sometime this year.

As to why they weren't included at launch, that one is pretty easy. Take a look at the game as it launched. Was it ready for launch? No. EA forced the issue to get it out in time for Christmas. BioWare is famous for not releasing a game before it's ready.... at least they were before EA got their hooks in them. With all the graphics and gameplay bugs they've had to fix, it's no wonder they haven't had time to add the SGRs.

So I've seen several people mention that Bioware promised to have the SGR options added "This year". Can anyone link me to where that was said? I'd just really like to see it myself before I get my hopes up.

So I've seen several people mention that Bioware promised to have the SGR options added "This year". Can anyone link me to where that was said? I'd just really like to see it myself before I get my hopes up.

Youtube the 'SWTOR Guild Summit the rest' mr.Erickson says it himself.

So the person who was being interviewed was *GASP!* telling the truth. SGRs weren't in the game them. SGRs aren't in the game now. This is nothing new. This doesn't change the fact that BioWare has said SGRs will be added to the game this year.

I understand you don't want to bring in more negativity to the thread, and I appreciate that, but I don't understand why you're repeating something negative from an old interview that doesn't take into account future positive statements.

As for "no news is good news", I wouldn't say that, but neither would I say "no news is bad news". No news is no news, simple as that. Taking a lack of news as a sign that SGRs aren't being worked on is an assumption with nothing to back it up. Consider this: BioWare didn't say that they were working on the HK-51 companion until they announced it. Clearly, they're perfectly capable of working on something without saying a word. :D

The SGR question gets answered at 21:02. Edited by MusedMoose

So the person who was being interviewed was *GASP!* telling the truth. SGRs weren't in the game them. SGRs aren't in the game now. This is nothing new. This doesn't change the fact that BioWare has said SGRs will be added to the game this year.

I understand you don't want to bring in more negativity to the thread, and I appreciate that, but I don't understand why you're repeating something negative from an old interview that doesn't take into account future positive statements.

As for "no news is good news", I wouldn't say that, but neither would I say "no news is bad news". No news is no news, simple as that. Taking a lack of news as a sign that SGRs aren't being worked on is an assumption with nothing to back it up. Consider this: BioWare didn't say that they were working on the HK-51 companion until they announced it. Clearly, they're perfectly capable of working on something without saying a word. :D

The SGR question gets answered at 21:02.

Well, first off, the person who said the quote may have been telling the truth, but he said it after two solid years of people asking whether or not they were in the game. And it was said with less than four months until the game launched. The reason I brought it up is because of the whole "no news is good news" stand KidRaid was trying to bring in. Bioware has a bad track record on what "no news" means, particularly with this subject.

I would like to point out the difference between their silence on this subject and their silence with HK-51. HK-51 was already known to be in the game. He was seen in the various betas, and was removed just before launch (presumably, for just this reason: future content that they could give the player base). Remaining silent concerning him doesn't have anywhere near the same weight as silence on SGRAs, something that has never been in the game, was avoided as a subject by Bioware for two years, and has only been mentioned once since launch in some vague "sometime this year" statement. A statement, might I add, that even now is thrown into a dim light with the reveal that new stories will be coming out in "the next year or so."

As I said, though, don't let my negativity affect you. I'm not exactly happy with the direction Bioware is going right now on several fronts, and chances are I'm going to unsub in the next few weeks. My personal disappointment in the game and the direction the devs seem determined to go despite player feedback to the contrary is quite likely clouding my view on things, so take that into account with my posts.

and this, is why i wonder what kicks do the devs get letting us argue about what they said, how they said it, why they said it, in what cintext they said it, ect ect, and don't just make things crystal clear -.-

A lot of times it's contractural. I've been to game developer conferences, and it's a running joke among devs that they can't talk about anything. "What are you working on?" "Can't talk about it. You?" "Can't talk about it." "Right, so, drink?"

Not saying it's not frustrating, but it's part and parcel of the industry.

A lot of times it's contractural. I've been to game developer conferences, and it's a running joke among devs that they can't talk about anything. "What are you working on?" "Can't talk about it. You?" "Can't talk about it." "Right, so, drink?"

Not saying it's not frustrating, but it's part and parcel of the industry.

That sounds about right. When you're dealing with a corporation then team A, who is working on the content, is under a legal contract never to mention what they're doing until after Marketing team Q has already announced it to the world. This won't happen until Team N has given /them/ their media hype stuff..........etc etc etc. As a general rule, the bigger the company, the more crazy hoops that have to be jumped through before anyone can say anything without being fired. Since Bioware was purchased by EA, while we play the waiting game we're waiting on not only Bioware's programmers and recording teams, but EA's marketing, legal and publicity teams.