Giving a grace period for STAR WARS: The Old Republic

GregZeschuk

• Dev Post

Hello everyone,

While we've worked closely with our retailers in the launch territories to ensure copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic are available from our launch date of December 20th, we understand that for those of you who’ve pre-ordered, there may be a concern about getting your copy on time. We’ve heard you want a 'grace period' where you can continue to play without having to enter a final product registration code (AKA 'game code').

We've been listening, and after doing another deep review of our platform infrastructure, we're taking action. Today, we're announcing a two day grace period for Star Wars: The Old Republic customers.

This means that everyone who pre-ordered and is in the Early Game Access program has forty-eight hours from launch in which to enter their product registration code, which will be found inside the physical Standard and Collector's Editions of the game; for digital editions of the game from Origin.com, the registration code will have been emailed to you after December 16th and will arrive before December 19th at 11:59PM EST. After December 22nd 12:01AM EST, you will be required to have a valid payment method and a product registration code registered to your account to continue to play. We strongly recommend that you register your product code as soon as you are able to do so (rather than waiting until the last minute) to ensure a seamless entry into the game, a smooth experience on the account website and to collect any special gifts and items you may be entitled to based on the version of the game you purchased.

We understand that for some, your copy of the game may still arrive on or after December 22nd. Unfortunately, we cannot extend the grace period any further. We suggest you contact your retailer to discuss shipping options, if this is a concern.

You may be wondering if your 30 days of game time (included with your purchase of the game) will be affected by the grace period. The answer is no. If you redeem your product registration code during the grace period, and add a valid payment method to your account, you will begin your billing cycle from then, and you will be entitled to 30 days of game time. If you redeem your product registration code before December 20th, your billing cycle will begin on December 20th at 12:01AM EST (the official launch date and time of the game).

We know this has been an issue for some of you, and we apologize for the concerns. We're looking forward to welcoming all of you to the official launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic!

Thanks,

Ray and Greg

(This post is available in French here, and in German here.)

Edited by StephenReid

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mighty nice of you guys. I don't understand why more people didn't just do the digital copy....that's what I did. I know a lot of people wanted the collectors edition but all those little things are not really important to me so I opted for the digital download. I just hope I can get to play at least by tomorrow (I was last minute on the pre-order).

It's 3:05 EST, are they done with all the waves today?

Of course they listen.

Watch the haters post about their next hysterical delusion. We should have a betting pool on what makes them go nuts next (I'm gonna go with the grace period not lasting a month).

That said, thank you Bioware for ensuring people get their boxes ASAP AND adding a grace period.

Itkovian

Even with the fastest shipping option from amazon i doubt it will reach australia in 2 days

thanks for implementing a grace period but its not long enough for me i am still looking at not being able to play is there some way i can forward my amazon shipping details to bioware support so you can see i didnt cancel my preorder and extend my grace period?

Wow good job Bioware. This is exactly what the fans wanted (well not exactly, but close!) and you gave it to them. AND they made Amazon, the second biggest seller of the SWTOR, ship their copies earlier. This is pure WIN on Biowares part. Nothing can really be said about them at this part.

Bravo, Bioware, bravo.