New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.

Sorenia

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then those people who's expectations are not being met should do just that, stop paying. Simple as that, just cancel your sub.

Or do something more logical like try to adjust their poor behavior through discussion. Your suggestion that our only option is "quit" is incorrect. It's borderline trolling in fact.

So now we know why the new raid tier is getting jipped on new armor sets.

Essentially art time got put into these gambling boxes and thus we have no new armor tier. For those unfamiliar with F2P these will be gambling boxes where the items you want are extremely rare. It's essentially unregulated gambling (much worse odds than Vegas for instance).

as long as they make the gear you can get from the boxes obtianable from other methods i'm fine with this.

Or do something more logical like try to adjust their poor behavior through discussion. Your suggestion that our only option is "quit" is incorrect. It's borderline trolling in fact.

Never ONCE in my post did i use the word "only". My suggestion of Quiting was in responce to your,

'Their inability to understand this sort of thing is why people stopped paying"

IF they lack the ability to understand, no amount of explanation is going to help, for they LACK THE ABILITY. Have you ever tried to explain physics to a severely mentally challenged person. Its not going to work, cause they lack the cognitive ability to understand physics. So if EA lacks the ability to understand whatever it is you believe to be their poor behavior , no amount of explainings gonna do cause in your words "THEY LACK THE ABILITY"

Is it your hope that if people continue to throw money at them till they see the light and change their evil ways ?

Trolling, your opinion. I'd explain further but after reading some of your other post i believe i'd be trying to expain physics to a severely mentally challenged person and i'm not one for wasting my time.

Blacklight Retribution does the gambling boxes as well. They call them Chance Packs.

It seems to be working out great for them. I hope it works out great for SWTOR too.

One thing I do hope is that like in Blacklight Retribution, they eventually make the chance pack exclusive items obtainable by (a much larger priced) direct purchase once they've been out for awhile.

If these boxes are indeed the gambling variety, it shows that the people behind this game are ethically unsound: they are putting their players in a position to become addicted to gambling and to spend a lot of money the way addicts do...Speaking of social impact investment, I know why the docs left now....

1. Cut a hole in the box.

I am coming from a F2P game and the items they were selling would be packed into boxes that had a random chance to drop random items. Usually, the best items, or the best looking items, had the lowest percentage. If the box costs 3$, you would end up spending minimum of 300$ to, maybe, get the item you want.

I knew people who used to spend one car every month. I am not exaggerating.

I, however, used to grind in-game gold and buy it from other players but the number of items I wanted and never got, is countless.

That was the main reason I came here: we all have it the same.

Therefore, I will just say this:

I love this game so much. Every bad thing I read or see, hurts like I am the one who made it, BUT if I see, as an active subscriber, just one (ONE) thing I like and I can't have it - that will be it.

People who think F2P players are those who can't pay sub, are delusional. Only 10%, or even less, will be those who can't. Others will be those who can't compete in a fair play or those who love to rub how much they can give.

There is no reason for you not to play SWToR (or other sub game) if you can give 400$ per month in F2P game. Just think about it.:o

I do hope this won't happen.

Eh, let people do and pay what they want, as long as it doesn't give 'em a combat advantage over me.

If people get as much happiness out of a virtual object as a physical one (and paying for it doesn't negatively impact their physical life too greatly) then who am I to judge them? Hell, these people are helping fund the game so I can get more content. Plus, virtual economies are better for the environment than oil-driven ones. :cool:

Edited by Stenrik

• Dev Post

I talked with Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer) about our plans for endgame armor appearances as well as appearances that will be available in the Cartel Market.

He said that we definitely intend to continue releasing new armor appearances for players doing endgame content. Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond were always intended to share the same appearance, just as Eternity Vault and Karagga’s Palace do, and our next Operation will feature a new appearance tier. We have no plans to stop the creation of appearances for endgame content.

The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.

So now we know why the new raid tier is getting jipped on new armor sets.

Essentially art time got put into these gambling boxes and thus we have no new armor tier. For those unfamiliar with F2P these will be gambling boxes where the items you want are extremely rare. It's essentially unregulated gambling (much worse odds than Vegas for instance).

I don't think this is true. This is clearly by design. Tionse, Columi, and Rakatta all use the same skin as well and F2P (from everything I've read) wasn't in anyone's mind until well after launch.

I think you're over-reaching here. I think the logic behind this is because while you're building up near gear you will be half & half for a while. Having similar looking gear with different color swatches minimizes that affect. This would have been a big concern pre-launch when end game items weren't' fully moddable, now that they are it's worth pointing out that this should be re-evaluated.

The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.

AH.. So what you are saying here is that you are taking all the requests that players had in the thread where they were asking for the different armor models that the NPC's have in the game, and will then be charging us for a chance to get lucky and maybe get a random piece of that gear from a box.

That just sucks. Just as much as the current designs of the tier armor in the game. Is the next round of new armor designs for tier armor going to follow the past trends of looking like crap, so you can force more people to try to buy a random chance for items that should have already been made available in the game?

Edited by Flying-Brian

AH.. So what you are saying here is that you are taking all the requests that players had in the thread where they were asking for the different armor models that the NPC's have in the game, and will when be charging us for a chance to get lucky and maybe get a random piece of that gear from a box.

That just sucks. Just as much as the current designs of the tier armor in the game. Is the next round of new armor designs for tier armor going to follow the past trends of looking like crap, so you can force more people to try to buy a random chance for items that should have already been made available in the game?

Dungeon Fighter did this at one point, I got addicted to those gambling boxes. It is like collecting cards as a kid. You never know what card you will get when you open the package.

I just wonder that those who don't want to hardmode operations will stuck forever in rakata gear or give up the set bonus?

Really, I don't want the best pieces but some advancement and being able to use orange gear without giving up what I already get.

Not forever, but likely till they increase the level cap which is supposed to be within the year sometime. My suspicion based on what they showed at E3 is that this Op + the anounced new Wz (hopefully 1.5) then we get increase to level cap and further class story. At which point you'll have to completely re-gear while you level up and the new Ops story modes should have gear that has set bonus on armoring like everything post Rakata has.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

Yeah Random gambling boxes as an exclusive option for any armor model is a blatant rip off. Tread lightly Bioware...I wrote off Diablo 3 and many others did as well for weak content Vs. Real money purchase...Its bad for gaming period. Go design bar top gambling machines if this is your idea of a game.

Personally I have no use for gambling boxes or interest in them; having played other games that use those.

I hope the F2P crowd here aren't like those from those other games, gambling junkies who pour $ into buying stuff, don't learn the game or socialize well, and bail after their bank account is dry and they have to check into rehab.

Also hope the $ they pour into the game contributes to better QA for patches and what not, and development of more (and more frequent) sustainable content for subs, not just shiny swag for the FTP junkies. Guess we'll see how it pans out.

I talked with Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer) about our plans for endgame armor appearances as well as appearances that will be available in the Cartel Market.

He said that we definitely intend to continue releasing new armor appearances for players doing endgame content. Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond were always intended to share the same appearance, just as Eternity Vault and Karagga’s Palace do, and our next Operation will feature a new appearance tier. We have no plans to stop the creation of appearances for endgame content.

Um, what?

The "Dread Guard" gear has existed on datamining sites like Torhead since 1.2 (Explosive Conflict) came out. It was called "Denova" gear. "Denova" gear gives identical stats to "Dread Guard" gear. Its pretty obvious that "Denova" gear was originally meant for Nightmare EC, just look at the name. NEC never came out though, so you just changed the name and moved it to HMTFB instead.

An example:

Denova Survivor's Boots

http://www.torhead.com/item/1SIhFY/denova-survivors-boots

Dread Guard Survivor's Boots

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/image41.png

Could EC and TFB have "always intended to share the same appearance"? I guess. The gear we got though was intended for Nightmare EC.

Also, EV and KP gear shares appearance because they both drop the same set, Rakata. There is no precedent for two tiers of gear from different Ops looking identical.

Edited by Denchet

Um, what?

The "Dread Guard" gear has existed on datamining sites like Torhead since 1.2 (Explosive Conflict) came out. It was called "Denova" gear. "Denova" gear gives identical stats to "Dread Guard" gear. Its pretty obvious that "Denova" gear was originally meant for Nightmare EC, just look at the name. NEC never came out though, so you just changed the name and moved it to HMTFB instead.

An example:

Denova Survivor's Boots

http://www.torhead.com/item/1SIhFY/denova-survivors-boots

Dread Guard Survivor's Boots

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/image41.png

Could EC and TFB have "always intended to share the same appearance"? I guess. The gear we got though was intended for Nightmare EC.

Also, EV and KP gear shares appearance because they both drop the same set, Rakata. There is no precedent for two tiers of gear from different Ops looking identical.

I'm sure it was and still is intended for Nightmare EC. Typically the Nightmare modes of the one before give what the new normals give. This only proves the point that this was planned.

So instead of doing something semi-ethical and offerring sets for straight purchase on the cash shop, you've turned them into a gambling addict's dream/nightmare. Lovely.

I'm sure it was and still is intended for Nightmare EC. Typically the Nightmare modes of the one before give what the new normals give. This only proves the point that this was planned.

No, NiMEC was originally supposed to drop a complete new set of gear that was a tier above HMEC. This is what we were promised way back in March (Feb maybe, idk). NiMEC never came out though, so they instead split that set between HMTFB and NiMEC (when it does eventually come out).

IIRC, the original plan was to turn Normal mode into story and remove it from the gear progression. Then they were going to have all Ops have both a HM and NiM, each dropping different gear. For example, EC was supposed to drop "Campaign" and "Denova" gear in HM/NiM respectively, and then TFB would drop "Dread Guard" and "Astation" on HM/NiM (Astation is a made up placeholder name).

The problem is that NiMEC never came out, so everything got screwed up. NiMEC was supposed to come out "soon" after HMEC, not 6+ months later, after the next raid was already out.

Edited by Denchet

Thank you for posting, Allison.

As long as the end game gear is distinct and unique from other gear, I'd say it's okay. Just please make the raid/pvp earned gear good looking. I know Bioware has heard loud and clear the community was not happy with the Campaign/Blk Hole gear for some classes, especially Consular.

More options is a good thing. As long as the cartel cash gear is not the same or not better than the end game gear, fine. I know it's subjective but please put some effort into gear that subscribers play for. We already are paying you. Don't waste too much time on cash stuff in the hopes that some f2p'er buys it. Don't make the end game gear ugly and the cash shop gear so good that players have to buy it to not look homeless. I feel like a homeless character from Prince of Persia in my Consular Campaign gear.

The color change from ketchup and mustard for the Consular Dread Gear shows you're listening. That's all we're asking. Listen to your subs, we want the game to succeed but sometimes are dismayed by the decisions we see being made.

Edited by Jedi_Tyran

Listen to your subs, we want the game to succeed but sometimes are dismayed by the decisions we see being made.

Amen. I don't know how someone at Bioware could look at an obviously poorly designed piece, and say "APPROVED". "Send it through". Disappointed is all I have to say to even show us that.

So basically stuff I was supposed to get in the Collector's Edition shop that was never updated I can now purchase in the Cartel Shop for more $$$?

I realize bw/ea wants to go after the whales that will spend big money but yeesh at least throw me a little love with the CE shop that was implied to have a good bit of content and has not done such until as of a week ago at least.

:(

Don't get me wrong I've gotten my money's worth out of this game it's just that the CE shoppe was advertised as more than it has been.