Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Since SGR is apparently immanent-ish is anybody else thinking about rolling a new toon over on the Test Server? I'm thinking I may go make a new female Sahdow to power level since no matter how SGR is implemented it would be endgame for her.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since SGR is apparently immanent-ish is anybody else thinking about rolling a new toon over on the Test Server? I'm thinking I may go make a new female Sahdow to power level since no matter how SGR is implemented it would be endgame for her.

That had not occurred to me, but I wonder just how immanent the content actually is. Were it actually on the horizon, I imagine they would be telling us more about it than in fact they are. Even if it were, I am not sure I want to pre-view it on the PTS. I would much prefer to encounter it as I play the game, in the normal course of events.

However, if this does show up in the Makeb PTS, I'd like to hear about it. If, in fact, it's able to be explored during testing.

Assuming Makeb drops on the PTS, people will be all over that content (imagine ants on over-ripe fruit) and considering the coverage that people give to things on the PTS, if SGR's are available with Makeb you will probably see the PTS forum explode. I find it highly unlikely that they wouldn't have SGR's on the test server if it's part of a general content release, as that means that people will not be able to adequately test it.

Assuming Makeb drops on the PTS, people will be all over that content (imagine ants on over-ripe fruit) and considering the coverage that people give to things on the PTS, if SGR's are available with Makeb you will probably see the PTS forum explode.

Oh, I imagine so. In a way, I look forwards to it. There are still people (for and against) who have no idea this content is slated for eventual inclusion, and the furor will be considerable. Which sounds like an odd thing to anticipate, but I can't help feel getting the subject out in the open would be a healthier thing all around.

Tactically, isolating this topic in one thread is helpful for ease of moderation – fewer trolls find it and, when they do, the mess is contained in a small area. Strategically, however, I think it is short-sighted as players will be taken by this broadside when it comes, because the subject isn't visible, and then there will be no containing it at all. But I suppose they will deal with that when it happens.

Assuming, of course, it ever does.

And that's the unfortunate thing, isn't it? Bioware seem to be in a position thinking that they have for a time laid our worries to rest by saying "yes, that vague hand-waving statement from a little over a year ago is still current", when in fact for a large part of the population I think it's fair to say they've done nothing of the sort. All we've pretty much had is "Soon-ish" which is much the same as saying "yeah... we don't actually know anything, so could you shut and go away for a while?"

When, if, SGRA's drop with Makeb, Bioware will have to do some very extensive explanations for the wider populace as to why it's taken some gorram long, that this content is a part of Star Wars, that it is expected of EA/Bioware and no you whining about "teh children" or whatever is not a reasonable excuse for discrimination.

Just... argh. I am sick to death of this even having to be mentioned in this day and age. I was honestly hoping that we were past this. For god's sake you've got The Doctor kissing Rory on prime time family telly now-a-days! For want of a better phrase: build a bridge and get the **** over it.

Edited by Tatile

I just moved over to another server and for my trooper girl (Who i have yet to make), I am perfectly fine with "closeting" her, to head canon that she does not like unwanted attention. But if they have S/S romance, I will be glad to have her openly trying to get a girlfriend.

I will wait and see how this develops.

I just moved over to another server and for my trooper girl (Who i have yet to make), I am perfectly fine with "closeting" her, to head canon that she does not like unwanted attention. But if they have S/S romance, I will be glad to have her openly trying to get a girlfriend.

I will wait and see how this develops.

I could see a female Trooper with Jaxo.... I'll be in my bunk. :D

Just... argh. I am sick to death of this even having to be mentioned in this day and age. I was honestly hoping that we were past this. For god's sake you've got The Doctor kissing Rory on prime time family telly now-a-days! For want of a better phrase: build a bridge and get the **** over it.

Wha...?? (I presume you're talking about a recent Dr Who episode? I have not seen any of the new season yet.)

Please be careful with those spoilers. You never know who might trip over them in the dark.

Wha...?? (I presume you're talking about a recent Dr Who episode? I have not seen any of the new season yet.)

Please be careful with those spoilers. You never know who might trip over them in the dark.

Oh, sorry. It's not really a big thing, though, more of a "so happy I could kiss you" moment. And yes, it was Dinosaurs in Space (best episode title ever).

Tactically, isolating this topic in one thread is helpful for ease of moderation – fewer trolls find it and, when they do, the mess is contained in a small area. Strategically, however, I think it is short-sighted as players will be taken by this broadside when it comes, because the subject isn't visible, and then there will be no containing it at all. But I suppose they will deal with that when it happens.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I'm sure there will be an inital outbreak and there will be people raging all over the game. However, considering Bioware/EA's previous games, I think they'll realize that they're acting stupid.

Look at Dragon Age 2, while it wasn't exactly what it was cracked up to be, Fenris and Anders openly flirted with a Male Hawke. (I never played a Fem Hawke so I don't know how Merril reacted to her, but I I'm almost 100% sure that Isabella openly flirted with her.) That's just one example, though and it also excuses the "I don't want a same gender companion flirting with me." Because I'm sure in DA2, they just told the companion that they weren't interested and moved on, just like what should happen in SWTOR.

Edited by Silthir

As far as I'm aware there are few companions which openly start approaching the character (I believe Doc and Corso are the exceptions to this, but I've not played either associated class to tell) so having someone flirt with you won't be much of an issue (unless of course Bioware manage to repeat the existing. bug wherein characters can become locked in the romance conversations without having actually started the dialogue at any point).

As far as I'm aware there are few companions which openly start approaching the character (I believe Doc and Corso are the exceptions to this, but I've not played either associated class to tell) so having someone flirt with you won't be much of an issue (unless of course Bioware manage to repeat the existing. bug wherein characters can become locked in the romance conversations without having actually started the dialogue at any point).

Hmmm... actually I know of very few companions that actually do, though I tend to avoid the Republic, myself. Regardless, that issue has been brought up in the past where people have said "I don't a same gendered NPC flirting with my character." Of course.... I don't see why that "issue" even came up, because it'd be no different as to if someone came up and flirted with him/her in real life, imo. I've flirted with a few straight guys and they gracefully declined, without it being a big deal.........

Edited by Silthir

Of course.... I don't see why that "issue" even came up, because it'd be no different as to if someone came up and flirted with him/her in real life, imo. I've flirted with a few straight guys and they gracefully declined, without it being a big deal.........

Point is, the straight guys you flirted with were being reasonable, by the sound of it. There are a lot of people with very unreasonable responses to such flirtation. Very, very, very few people actually can't help their responses to such flirtation*. In the majority of cases it's simply an unthinking overreaction (and a violent one, sometimes).

And since most of the people reacting thusly are in the majority of their local population it's not seen as the troublesome and unreasonable reaction that it is.

* = Yes, I'm aware there are some who legitimately can't prevent themselves reacting in such an unreasoning manner. The vast majority who react so violently, however, simply choose not to restrain their reactions.

Point is, the straight guys you flirted with were being reasonable, by the sound of it. There are a lot of people with very unreasonable responses to such flirtation. Very, very, very few people actually can't help their responses to such flirtation*. In the majority of cases it's simply an unthinking overreaction (and a violent one, sometimes).

And since most of the people reacting thusly are in the majority of their local population it's not seen as the troublesome and unreasonable reaction that it is.

* = Yes, I'm aware there are some who legitimately can't prevent themselves reacting in such an unreasoning manner. The vast majority who react so violently, however, simply choose not to restrain their reactions.

I've turned down flirtations from other guys before. No big deal. Most were ok with me not batting from that side of the plate.

And yes, I'm a Baseball fan, so please indulge me in the metaphors. lol

I've turned down flirtations from other guys before. No big deal. Most were ok with me not batting from that side of the plate.

And yes, I'm a Baseball fan, so please indulge me in the metaphors. lol

Exactly. Rejection sucks, sure, but that's a universal truth. Most people are normal and sensible enough to go, 'Oh well, that's cool.'

Just noticed this interview about companions with Damion Schubert http://www.swtorface.com/2012/09/swtor-companion-qna-with-lead-system.html

No, there is no talk about SGRs, but this comment caught my attention

Q: Are there any plans to advance on current Companion story lines? Some of us have developed intimate relations with our Companions, and even married them and now they won't talk to us!

A: I will put this as 'on our radar screen but not imminent'. Building companion content is very, very expensive for us (most people only play one of their companions heavily, so there is a one-in-forty chance that any companion content will be consumed). Also, the benefits of companions once you hit level 50 isn't great since you don't use them for operations or warzones. I'd really like to address the utility problem before we jump on creating more content for them. That being said, we know you guys love your companions and we know it’s something that's unique to SWTOR, so it’s definitely something that will get attention.

Well, that's a bit of a downer. Makes me think it will be a while before we see much more content with our current companions. :(

I know they got rid of the Q&A because it had become near useless (answering question one could just Google), but unfortunately there's no alternative to addressing question to the developer teams other than hoping that Mr. Gonzales and Ms. Berryman point them in the direction of our threads.

The only way to get any clarification on that interview would be to harass Ms. Berryman and Mr. Gonzales again, which just seems unfair.

The only way to get any clarification on that interview would be to harass Ms. Berryman and Mr. Gonzales again, which just seems unfair.

Well, if we take them at their word (I try to give the benefit of even prodigeous doubt such as arises in the case of this topic and how it is being, or more to the point not being, addressed), they are aware of and continue to escalate our concerns. I don't think harrassing them actually helps. It is true that I have pursued unusually high-pressure tactics in the past, but that may have cost more in sympathy than we gained in information.

So yes, I think it's unfair. If we could bring pressure to bear directly, well, I would at least think very seriously about doing so. By directly, that means to those who could share this information with us, whether that is the developers who could talk but aren't, or the hypothetical PR suits who have told them that they cannot.

All we are really able to do, then, is keep this topic visible and to refute when they arise the misrepresentations or misunderstandings that seem to be tracked in by those uncomfortable with the idea that same-gender romance could be included in the game.

A gleam of hope regarding current companion SGRs in light of that interview: He only addressed extending the companion stories further from where they are written to right now. Right now, the OGRs are in already. SGRs would, presumably, pick up during 1-50 play in the same way, they just need to be hooked in. The strong indication in March was that writers were already at work on the content, since they need substantial lead time and the content was promised for this year. I think it's still possible.

But again, we won't know one way or another until they condescend to grace us with a status update. Come on, guys - it can't be that hard to tell us what the hell is going on.

It depends on what they (and we) consider to be 'advancing companion content'. If it refers to story lines taking place chronologically after those we have already experienced, including furthering romances beyond the three letters you get and subsequent cold shoulder, then that answer is reasonable - it's stuff they haven't done yet.

If it refers to gender swapping pronouns in the existing romance dialogue* then we are looking at a problem here that needs to be addressed.

*Yes, I know, but that's just easier to write

It depends on what they (and we) consider to be 'advancing companion content'. If it refers to story lines taking place chronologically after those we have already experienced, including furthering romances beyond the three letters you get and subsequent cold shoulder, then that answer is reasonable - it's stuff they haven't done yet.

If it refers to gender swapping pronouns in the existing romance dialogue* then we are looking at a problem here that needs to be addressed.

*Yes, I know, but that's just easier to write

This is a quote from the guild summit in March, and it addresses that concern.

(The question, gathered from online submissions, was summed up as, "Is there any update on same gender romance?")

This is an interesting one because it sort of lit up, and we didn't honestly -- if we should give an update on it every single time -- We've always said the same thing with it, which is that it's coming, and it's coming with story updates. And we totally understand when people hear "soon", um, maybe I should have put the TM next to it that, "writer Soon"? The writers have a much, much larger lead time than you would expect, and we wanna do any of this stuff right. We heard suggestions, and we do read the stuff, and let's talk a little about the stuff we were not willing to do. We were not willing to go in and just change all the dialogue to work for the other gender. That is not writing. That is not good storytelling.

I hope it helps reassure you. :cool:

Edited to add: If you have more concerns about SGRs, the link in my sig will have a lot of information. Nothing concrete has really changed since I wrote it, due to lack of information. It'll get an update when we get some more direct answers. I'm trying to keep the rumor mill as minimal as possible.

Also, I find it sad and telling that this thread, which was usually locked at ~100 pages, is going on for 143. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I have to wonder if the devs are taking us as seriously anymore....:(

Edited by natashina

If you're referring to my asterisk, I was mentioning that not because it's easier for the SWTOR writers to produce, but because it was easier for me to convey what I was trying to explain, though I'm starting to think I muddled my meaning there.

It's been discussed numerous times in this thread that pronoun swaps are just piss-poor writing in this event.

If you're referring to my asterisk, I was mentioning that not because it's easier for the SWTOR writers to produce, but because it was easier for me to convey what I was trying to explain, though I'm starting to think I muddled my meaning there.

It's been discussed numerous times in this thread that pronoun swaps are just piss-poor writing in this event.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. :( I've had posters say similar things before and I was trying to clear the air. I didn't mean to come off as offensive or condescending.

I agree it would have been easier to write. And would have made sense for some of the classes. I just hope the devs don't go back on that decision. I know a lot of people who play and post here are very thankful that they aren't going that route(myself included.)

Besides, could you picture them trying to do that with the Smuggler story? I think it would have turned out very awkward to say the least. :p

Edited by natashina

Yes but Dainel Erickson is leaving the building.

Will the opinions/feelings about storytelling of the soon to be former employee trump quick, dirty, and possibly cheap(ish) companion content matter since he won't be there to crook his fingers going "naughty naughty, bad form, not good storytelling"?

No idea since not one of the actual people that are in charge are willing to take 5 minutes and give us real updates on SGRA content.

After a few minutes of digging, Erickson simply said, "Actively looking for new opportunities," on his LinkedIn profile. While it doesn't look good, I'll retain my doubts as to whether or not he's leaving the company altogether.

http://www.gamefront.com/swtor-lead-designer-erickson-actively-looking-for-new-opportunities/

Would I be surprised if he left? With wording like that, no. Until it's confirmed that he's leaving/going to be let go, I'll stand by the quote. If he does leave, I'll ask you guys what I should do with that particular quote.

Even if he did leave, I'm actually not too concerned about the future of SGRs. Now, if I see a mass exodus of the writing team, then I know the writing is going to suffer. Gotta love the "wait and see" game.

Edited by natashina