Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Assassin spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the darkness spec (31/0/10 the one I use), most people perceive it as using DPS gear (in pvp) as the tanking aspect (and gear) of it in pvp situations isn't that great. People see this class as an alternative and often better, DPS class (other than pure darkness or a hybrid mentioned in these forums). People at least acknowledge me as a ball carrier or that I am a good guarder. As well, other classes no longer view it as a viable tank in PvE as many operation bosses use damage types that go through the shield, which means the other tanks incur less damage, which depending on the situation, a tankassin cannot recover from too easily with self heals.

I simply perceive it as a tank spec. The war hero survivor gear I use seems to encourage the use of DPS (lower endurance, higher willpower) and I find that in PvP I am not so much considered a tank, but a person with a little more survivability and some DPS. Sure the 1.3 nerf did hurt DPS wearing tankassins, but I think it hurt tank geared tankassins mostly to do with their own role (both in PVE and PVP).

Edited by MasterFeign

Darkness spec

As an off-tank, moderate damage dealer. Not effective in high pressure tanking situations.

I find like many games where one tank is an 'Avoidance' or 'Healing' tank, that it never works out well for the player. It's a great idea, but so few games are willing to allow the attacks of their strongest bosses to be deflected. Also in game that rely strongly on healing like SWTOR, tank healing is usually limited as is here.

I don't tank with the spec and have stopped playing endgame content with the character. It's not fun.

I'm not going to go 1/2.

I'm going straight to what needs to be done, the changes in 1.3 were too extream, if you left the armour or the healing done, the changes might have been fine.

It's now harder to get into groups, some will say... change roles, even if my points are completely tank orientated - they do not want "my kind" in the group anymore - simple reason, you nerfed too much in one go. Something you failed to do right during testing.

The system you use to judge classes, is wrong. Simple as. When you change a classes abilities - or their values, you run each change through a playerbase... if the playerbase finds the changes acceptable, good, if not by a large percentage, go back change it by a small amount and patch the server until the general population that *play* the class can agree the nerf is at the right point.

Both the deception tree and tanking tree, need adjustments, because for now... the tanking playerbase of the class are feeling grossly underpowered and deception is going the way of the Dinosaur.

Assassin Tank.

1. Terrible I take far more damage then any other tank class in the game, I have more then one tank but this is the only assassin I have.

2. Terrible again, I feel like I am just a wet punching bag in end game content, I don't have the damage reduction of the other classes and while my shield and absorb are higher then my other tanks against a boss it doesn't matter as they almost always bypass the shield in the first place. And having one defensive cooldown just makes it all that much worse.

Madness

The only viable PvE DPS spec Assassins have. Some are mistaken that we can still switch to tanking on the fly. Slightly less desirable than having a Marauder, given the choice.

Madness is a solid DPS spec with choices for interesting utility options (instant whirlwind into stun.) I do a bit less damage than I would expect in comparison to Warrior DPS specs which get more reliable defensive cooldowns. In PvP, DoTs show nicely on the scoreboard, but I don't contribute enough "useful kills" in a bursty environment; Darkness' burst and survivability are high enough to make Madness a second-rate PvP spec.

1. People perceive me as overpowered in PVP and useless in PVE. Of course, the overpoweredness in pvp comes from the fact that I wear full augmented war hero gear and my gear is min/maxed to provide optimal dps output, but people insist that the class itself is op.

PVP:

In order to achieve the most usability, I have to spec as a tank and put on dps gear because wearing tank gear is useless due to shield/absorb not being useful.

PVE:

I haven't did any end game PVE since the 1.3. I feel selfish by taking my assassin tank into a raid with my guild because other classes can help the raid more than I can( For example, I simply cannot tank Kephess.)

Edited by timidobserver

In it's current form, deception is viewed as a joke spec. It simply does not have enough burst/sustained DPS to be viable. People would rather take a tank/ madness assassin into endgame content because they can do my job better.

Deception is one of the most fun playstyles and one of the trickier AC to make perform well. It can shine under the right circumstances but, in endgame content, those circumstances are few and far between.

I personally would like to see something done of the damage/force re gen side of the deception builds. it's fine to be a glass cannon but not when the cannon isn't big enough or can't be fired long enough to be effective.

Edited by mrdert

[color=#f9d6481. How do you think your Assassin spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?[/color]

1. Tank is an offspec, Deception is a free kill and Madness is ok.

2. I think the tank spec is now an off spec due to the huge nerfs, Deception has nice damage but dies when someone sneezes and Madness seems to be in a good place.

3. Fixes

Tank: I realize the devs felt this spec was over-performing but only half the nerfs were needed. Either the armor nerf or the self healing nerf would have been all that was needed.

Deception either needs more CC control like Ops have or need more defense abilities like other dps classes like the Marauder

Madness seems is a good place.

My two cents.

I think people assume that every sin is darkness and invulnerable to damage.

As deception, my spec, I feel like its play style is great! Perfect even.

However, the output is hard to justify with the low survivability at times.

I feel like performance varies a lot depending on what the enemy team is like.

If its a bunch of high armor targets I feel pretty helpless.

My Deception Assassin is perceived as an underperforming one that no one in their right mind would take on a serious OP (in PVP there are some tweaks to be made), but it's my favorite and it's the one that makes the most sense my character would be (a sneaky, strike-from-the-shadows-and-run kind of character).

As I said, it's my favorite spec, and I hate that in order to be viable I can't play as it. I think that if the spec is carefully and thoroughly looked into, it can be made quite viable and useful (and NOT overpowered); there's a lack of utility about it as well a lack of survivability, but the latter is understandable since this class is supposed to be a glass cannon. Just make it a cannon, though, it's all we ask.

Darkness Spec, PVE. Cleared through HM KP and SM EC up to Kephess. Mostly black-hole / rakata geared.

Link to build

1. Sub-optimal for easy clears of operations. Anecdotal, but pre-1.3 I've been declined numerous invitations to story mode operations pugs because I was an assassin, even though I am over geared for those places. One KP group literally took a recruit geared Juggernaut (their words) in my place. They didn't get very far and later on asked me to join in his place, but it took them failing with a recruit geared Jugg before that happened.

2. Excellent for being able to solo content including heroic missions due to stealth, perhaps the best. Weak against fast hitting enemies or very hard hitting bosses (e.g. Kephess in Story Mode, Transgenic Sample Seven in LI HM), typically requiring a Medpac + Overcharge Saber on CD and still getting destroyed on Kephess.

A word on Accuracy and Thrash: We barely use Thrash now as it is due to the force cost and lower threat output, and the undesirability of accuracy (as most of our abilities don't need it at all) makes it even less attractive as most of us replace accuracy enhancements with shield + defense enhancements. Energize isn't nearly enough to make us want to use an ability that needs accuracy to be effective and we are literally gearing away from accuracy.

Darkness spec.

1. Others (that have never played the class) still percieve it as being somewhat OP, whether it is tank spec or dps spec. Mostly pvp players that get upset because they got killed by one in a wz.

2. I think that (once again) you guys went overboard with the nerfs. Changing either the self-heal or the armor would have been fine. Changing both (especially in reaction to pvp crying) broke the class. Just as with the sorc/sage nuke in 1.2, you guys made changes in response to pvp that severely impaired the class' viability in pve.

If I can make a suggestion, instead of nerfing the so-called 'overperforming' classes, you guys should try buffing the so-called 'underperforming' ones. Flailing about with the nerf bat in response to bad pvp players is the biggest reason this game is hemhoragging subscriptions.

lvl 50 Madness Sin here.

1. TBH I'm not sure how other classes perceive my spec but I have plenty of friends who play high tier PvP with Battlemaster and often even War Hero gear who have a lot of trouble taking down Darkness Assassins. Deception and Madness Assassins also cause an enormous amount of damage when used correctly.

2. Madness was a spec that took some getting used to but is really rewarding when I get my rotation down right. Its hit and run capabilities are unparalleled and the amount of damage I can dish out with DOTs alone is enough to win many engagements. I frequently make it into the top 5 of the damage charts in Warzones and am often the top 1-2 out of all Consulars and Inquisitors in the game. For the record, I want to make it clear that Madness is not in anyway over powered and I'm not trying to make it sound like it is, it's just quite good if you can get the hang of it.

I don't play PVP. My experience is raiding/storyline progression

1. Generally I get the feeling that Assassins are seen as always too squishy, whether as tank or as DPS.

2. In my experience, an Assassins' nice set of defensive skills and self-healing makes it stand up just fine to most challenges. There are a few bosses that make it struggle, but it's a class more uniquely able to kite bosses than any other tank type, so it's a rare and situational issue that rarely causes a real problem.

As a DPS class, I find Assassins pretty fun to play, though there is a lot of buff-bar watching to make them max out their damage. That's not something many people appreciate. Oh, and they squish really fast. It might be nice to give them some way to dump aggro other than using their once-per-battle-imperfectly-working combat stealth ability.

My one major gripe? I like to mix and match abilities, trying out different trees. The Deception tree is entirely too Surging Charge focused. if you don't want to use Surging Charge, there is no way to progress up that tree without wasting a lot of points.

I play my assassin only as a tank in PvE.

1. No different than other tanks. The people I raid with don't discriminate any class believing (and proving) that the content can be done with any combination of classes you might bring.

The recent nerf hasn't had any impact on any of our two main tank assassins or my twink.

2. I have another tank (Juggernaut) too, so my observations might go beyond what some can experience. There is not much wrong with Darkness assassins.

My first concern are more of an aesthetic nature: you don't use your lightsaber much in an effective rotation.

The other isn't really about balancing but scaling properly ... this is far from exclusive for the class or spec but Dark Charge heals don't scale with gear which should be adressed as it will become a problem as gear progresses in the next couple of patches - maybe fix it now before this becomes an issue.

Other than that ... solid damage for a tank, good mitigation and useful cooldowns and no concerns for threat.

The recent nerf doesn't bother me, I agree that the spec was superior to the competition but now spike damage might be an issue in future operations (as I expect the numbers to grow generally larger).

spec: Darkness

PVP

1. No point to wearing tank gear except for running the ball in huttball. Hit with the nerf bat hard after 1.3.

2. We need more benefit from tank gear. We are balanced with other classes. Our abilities should at least scale of defenses, we should not feel gimped using tank gear as tanks. I tickle healers.

Lovely. I play all specs of the sith assassin class but manly deception.

To other classes its darkness u are to tank and pvp as tank and thats all u dont need to worry about dps cuz the other specs suck. As dps u are madness or u do crap dps and if u are not madness rethink goin darkness or madness cuz deception is crap and needs a buff somewhere to make it worth taking unless the ops group has an maruader, sniper and or sorc as dps.

Im deception and i love the spec i loved it since i lvled my jedi shadow to 50 as infiltration and when i rerolled an assassin i lvled as deception. I went darkness and madness but i dont like tanking on my assassin and i hate and i mean i hate the madness rotation or should i say i hate dps classes where i have to keep up more than one dot.

Off topic im really glad u are thinking of trying to balance the classes and i really hope and mean i really hope u dont balance the classes like World of Warcraft has. O ya seeing how maruaders are i dont want to be as op as them just somewhere close to sorcs or snipers.

Edited by Sanen

Global Assassin :

Where did the 9% willpower from Madness go? Why was it removed in beta? Why are Assassin one of the only AC without a bonus to their main stats? Marauder Have the same issue, but they don't really need it though.

Deception :

-Force Starvation, internal cooldown on Saber Conduit is too long mixed with low chance of proccing Surging make it unreliable, Blackout CD is also too long and high force cost of every abilities.

-Worthless AoE, worst than single target attack while starving you of force.

-It's better to cast Discharge on cooldown since Surging charge damage is too low, 70-120 dps increased going this way.

-Dps is no where close to 5% with other advance class, lucky for us some guild are looking for the players, not the class.

I have left my assassin at level 26, not because of the story, its cool. but the lack of saber abilitys.

Way too much hocus pocus and purple lightning, that belongs to sorcs in my eyes.

Never saw Darth Maul use lightning, did you??? :confused:

Shadows however, love it, but more saber abilitys never hurt.

Edited by DecanAndersen

I play deception and everyone in my guild tells me i should respec to madness for better dps,i dont get excluded but thats because i'm in a nice guild, my burst is a joke as we use marauders to burst down single adds (trandoshian warriors in kephess battle) because its faster and a healer doesnt have to follow them.

I feel i rely to much on critical hits and boosted CDs like recklessness and relic procs to actualy get real burst damage out.

I feel like i'm just giving out low substained dps and feel happy when i can crit a discharge and shock without recklessness because i actually did some damage.

Even in full blackhole/campaign gear with augments i do not match the power/willpower of a sorc or marauder (strenghtwise).

Edited by Exiled-Phoenix

I played Darkness 31/0/10 and hybrid 23/1/17 mostly on pvp

1 - Most people regard Darkness to be the best spec for pvp since Deception and Madness dont really have the survivabilty or the damage that other DPS classes have (marauder, operative).

2 - I really like the Darkness assassin and the fact that you can hybridize it a bit with Madness if you want extra damage at the cost of more tanking abilities. I see darkness as a bruiser more than a tank because it deals very good damage and has good surviabilty but is not really tanky like a juggernaut is.

I play multiple other classes, and I view people in my spec on the assassin as either "yay! free kill!" or "sigh, Assassin DPS? Can we boot him for a Mara?" Neither is good.

Fun to play, lackluster in performance. Deception Assassins lack overall DPS due to force starvation and long CDs on key spells. Other attacks have extremely limited useful. Let's take maul for example. Where is exactly is the "back" of a raid boss? Because for too often I get the "must be behind target" error when I'm clearly standing where it looks like the "back" should be. There is also no advantage to using this attack unless it criticals, which I have no control over. Some sort of crit proc on or for maul would go a long ways to improving the spec, as well as the removal of the saber conduit cool down.

I play deception, or used to I have since retired this character,

Deception is largely perceived as an easy kill. That really is all there is to it, I have heard people say it all the time, its a free kill.

We do decent burst damage but not so much that we can take out a target before we are _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ( insert here- Interrupted, taunted, stuned, target healed) and generally do not have to force regen to sustain more damage and thus are forced to abandon to try again later or die. In addition we are insanely squishy, with a slow vanish cool down. Making us very unsuited for team pvp in a game where our only option is team pvp.

No reason at all to take a deception assassin over any other dps right now... it is by and large probably the worst dps specs to bring into a WZ

Deception player from the get-go.

1. The fact that we are passed up in every aspect of the game screams that we need a little attention. I as a raid leader myself couldnt justify progressing through endgame content or organized pvp, with a below average dps class with no utility. Not when marauders can damn near self sustain and Ops can do what we do, but with off-heals to help out in clutch situations. I have seen the excuse that since we have a tanking option we shouldnt pull as much damage as pure dps classes. I somewhat agree. However, i dont see Juggs/Guardians or PTs/Vanguards having the same issues with damage in their designated dps trees. Im not saying we should pull the exact same dps as maras or snipers. The 5% window is fair for that being that they are pure dps classes. I do however request that we be at least pulling the same dps as other tanking classes' dps options

2. I wanna state that i love my deception assassin. Its my pride and joy in this game. Normally i laugh at the players in forums with the "L2P" attitude. Its just not the case in this instance. The term i believe used is "Glass cannon without the cannon." I didnt believe this until i actually rolled some alts for fun. Im fine with being squishy and i understand the gameplay and mentallity of the deception spec. However our "Runaway" abilities to go with the gameplay are very lack luster and no where near as available as they should be. Combine that with something like the damage buffs that the snipers/slingers recieved and i believe that will put us on par. We really dont need much, but definitely some adjusting.

And thank you for doing this survey BW. I actually feel like we are taking a step in the right direction :)