Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

EricMusco

I would like to see the same crafting material as the one in personal conquest (for someone out of a guild, those are difficult to get, out of gtn). I am more to craft my own gear than trade crystals for mods or gear. I don't care if as an assured part of the reward or one to pick from different choices (as the optional items in mission rewards).

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want these things to be truly worthwhile, make the highest level be something that requires the highest gear levels in the game and a level 50 influence companion.

Well, highest gear as a requisition to get even higher gear ???

[Cynism]Besides, why should I bother with NIMH when I'm too bad for that ?[/Cynism]

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Is there a Combat Mechanic or Ability Perk Effect that ignores passive damage reduction like undying rage or guarded by the force when inflicting damage for 2 secs or 1 sec? I mean also pure passive damage reduction used by the stat expertise, and not the passive reduction used by armor. If there isn't that effect or ability perk in he game currently, could u please add in the next update for fallen empire coming this month? It would balance the game further I think and it would get me to play with my character to their full potential. If u do add it, can u give to the smuggler class, I think they would benefit very good from since being low health. Message me back to tell what you think that idea, I would love for that to be in the game. Thank u to Steven Chew

Hello everyone,

This is Steven Chew and I’ll be coordinating as well as working on the Eternal Championship. Firstly, I’d like to thank everyone for providing their input. It’s very encouraging as a developer to hear from players who are engaged in the content that we create. I’ve been going through the posts on this feature for Game Update 4.2, and wanted to give some insight on what we’re trying to achieve with this.

As mentioned in the stream, this is meant to give the solo player (with companion) a series of challenges that gets progressively harder. The goal is to have the first 5 rounds be achievable by players who have just completed the first 9 chapters of KotFE, but with some additional elements. By successfully completing Round 5, they will get gear that is better than what they’ve been able to get from the story content. Beginning in Round 6, the challenges will start increasing in difficulty and building up to the final encounter in Round 10. We are still in the process of fine-tuning what the difficulty increase feels like.

The Eternal Championship provides an alternative way for solo players to get higher tiers of gear, albeit at a slower rate compared to Flashpoints/Operations. The highest rating gear will still be reserved for the more difficult group content as those require more coordination and effort from more players.

Looking through the posts in the thread so far, I’ve seen suggestions that match some of what we’re trying to do, some beyond the scope of this feature, and some additional ideas that are “that’s cool, we should consider that”. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread so please keep those suggestions coming. I won’t be able to reply to each person individually, but will post an update when we have something substantial to share.

Again, thanks for taking the time. See you in game (from the shadows, you never know when a developer is stealthily following you around). :rak_05:

I would like to add my two cents on this topic, and I hope Steven Chew reads this. First I must admit that I did not read through all of the 41 pages of posts, but I have read enough of them to get a feel for what people are saying.

I agree with the posts that this Eternal Championship should require players to play their class (i.e. be forced to learn their class if they haven't already). The execution of this (if done correctly) will be a challenge for the developers in that they have to make this an instanced area that is based on role, not on class. For example, if I go into the arena as a DPS, I should be required to do DPS tactics (interrupt, cc, move out of circles/cones, etc., etc.) as opposed to entering the arena as a healer where I shouldn't have to worry about interrupts as my main focus should be healing and cleansing my companion. Tanks on the other hand, should have to use interrupts, taunts, defensive cooldowns, and of course movement mechanics like moving out of avoidable damage. The other difficult part the developers have to consider is companion role selection. Can Encounter 10 be completing with any role companion or does the companion's role have to complement the player in order to survive the fight? I think it has to matter which would force some people to retry a failed encounter with a companion of a different role in order to be successful. Another challenge for the developers is companion level. The Developers need to take companion level out of the equation as it shouldn't have an impact on if you succeed or not. I shouldn't be able to faceroll Encounter 10 because I have a level 50 companion. Perhaps a bolster for companions? If the Eternal Championship is instanced based on role and not class, it will make a much more enjoyable and challenging (and beneficial) experience for all.

Now to discuss the types of rewards. I agree with those who believe that gear would be a waste unless it is a cosmetic shell (orange with no mods inside), which should therefore be Bind to Legacy. This could be from a random pool or token based (like Ziost), I really don't care about how cosmetic rewards for this are handed out. I also agree with those who posted for a random mount/toy/emote/crystal/decoration/etc. from the Cartel Market. This should, however, be only for completing the weekly, and should be Bind on Pickup so that it doesn't get farmed for cash. Having a random mount/toy/emote/crystal/decoration/etc. as the final reward (in my opinion) would make it worth repeating weekly as opposed to any gear that you can get better pieces of by doing something else. Now for the Solo Players out there, I would think a 208 mod-able PVE BiS gear (no set bonus) including Main Hand, implants, earpieces, and 208 "good" relics should be rewarded. These need to be something that you can't get from crystal vendors and are worth the time and effort to run the Eternal Championship over and over.

As for difficulty, you have to take into account the role-based instance:

DPS: For encounters 1-5, there should be some basic mechanics (other than just stand and shoot/swing light saber). Each encounter 1-4 would require you to perform a different mechanic once during the encounter and then encounter 5 would bring multiple mechanics (such as one interrupt and moving out of circles). Then Encounters 6-8 would get more difficult, still doing multiple mechanics but now they are more often (have to interrupt several times during the fight while avoiding circles). Finally Encounters 9 and 10 should be difficult with multiple mechanics and an enrage timer so that it becomes a dps check as well.

Heals: Encounters 1-4, basic healing of companion and one mechanic each encounter. These encounters need to be hard enough where if a healer tried to dps instead of heal, they would not survive. Encounter 5 would require a cleanse and moving out of circles. 6-8 would each have multiple cleanses as well as moving out of damage circles, and Encounters 9-10 would be challenging to keep their companion alive performing cleanses almost on cooldown as well as major heals while avoiding damage circles. There would have to be a "burn phase" where the companion is taking massive damage for 30 seconds so that there is a healing check involved.

Tank: 1-4 one simple mechanic of interrupting, defensive cooldown, taunt, or moving out of damage circle per encounter. Encounter 5, two mechanics. 6-8 would have multiple mechanics and more often throughout the encounter. 9-10 would have challenging mechanics, a fight where the tank has the potential to lose threat easily and therefore has to keep threat high as well as taunts on some form of adds and a "burn phase" where the tank would have to use all of their defensive cooldowns to survive.

Penalties: There would have to be a penalty for not performing the mechanic in each encounter. In Encounters 1-4, if you fail the mechanic, you should lose most of your health but probably be able to survive. In Encounter 5, if you fail one mechanic you can survive, but if you fail both mechanics you die. Encounters 6-8 you can get through (probably) if you fail one mechanic on occasion but failing two in a row = death. Encounters 9-10 fail more than one mechanic = death. If the player dies, there should be an NPC who tells them what they did wrong so that the player learns from their mistakes.

Doing the Eternal Championship this way would mean new players learning their class would be very challenged at first, but could learn their class and become much better players, earning great rewards for completing each stage. More seasoned players would also find this challenging and probably get farther at first, but should still have a challenge with the final encounter and get well rewarded for completing it.

Daily rewards: New Eternal Championship reputation token and Common crystals and cash for completing encounters 5, 8, and 10 and Glowing Crystals and more cash for completing Encounter 10.

Weekly Rewards: After Encounter 5, you earn the cool Bind to Legacy gear "shell", after Encounter 8 you earn the 208 MH/Relic, and after Encounter 10 you earn the random mount/toy/emote/crystal/decoration/etc.

TL;DR: Role based instance rather than class based that teaches mechanics and delivers worthy rewards.

I would like to add my two cents on this topic, and I hope Steven Chew reads this. First I must admit that I did not read through all of the 41 pages of posts, but I have read enough of them to get a feel for what people are saying.

As much as I like your ideas, at this stage I'm pretty sure the mechanics for the Arena will be locked in. They're supposed to be releasing it with Chapter 11, so about 6/7 weeks if it's on schedule (unless they changed it again, totally possible).

Edited by CrazyCT

Is there a Combat Mechanic or Ability Perk Effect that ignores passive damage reduction like undying rage or guarded by the force when inflicting damage for 2 secs or 1 sec?

Yes. There is. Internal and Elemental damage can not be shielded and ignores armor and is only reduced by the base damage reduction(21% on my jugg tank, who has >50% damage reduction against Energy and Kinetic damage)

Force and Tech damage completely ignores defense chance (which is almost 30% on my tank for melee and ranged vs 0% for force and tech).

I mean also pure passive damage reduction used by the stat expertise, and not the passive reduction used by armor.

No. This is not possible. And it would totally ruin pvp. It is a stupid idea.

If there isn't that effect or ability perk in he game currently, could u please add in the next update for fallen empire coming this month? It would balance the game further I think and it would get me to play with my character to their full potential.

No. It would completely destroy class balance and make expertise and tanks completely useless.

If u do add it, can u give to the smuggler class, I think they would benefit very good from since being low health.

No. The smuggler has the exact same amount of health (+-1%) compared to any other class, except for tanks.

If your smuggler doesn't have as much health as other characters, then your gear is crap.

Message me back to tell what you think that idea, I would love for that to be in the game. Thank u to Steven Chew

TL;DR: Stupid idea by a person who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

TL;DR: Stupid idea by a person who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Heh typical toxic PVP player attitude it would seem.

Whether or not you're correct there is still little need for such a crappy attitude towards someone else's ideas.

Perhaps you could endeavour to be more polite in your replies in the future and maybe areas like PVP wouldn't be so ignored by the majority of the public.

Asking the players what they want is a huge mistake. Just look at the replies so far. Range from the overly selfish to get as much as possible. Sure a few and unfortunately only a few even seem reasonable even if wildly different.

All this thread will do is make those who do not get what they want feeling slighted.

Personally happy with whatever we get, Assuming I even get that far in the game which will depend on which character is giving the mission out. If its one of the PvP givers then wont be doing it in any case. If its not then will do it and as said happy with whatever we get.

Similar to Warcraft's Proving Grounds?

That's what I was getting from his idea as well.

And that does seem to be a bit like what BioWare may be going. I really hope not though. EC should be more solo challenge and less personal tutorial, but from day one of this game, one thing I've noticed is that BioWare is completely clueless where the line behind "hardcore" and "casual" are.

Heh typical toxic PVP player attitude it would seem.

Whether or not you're correct there is still little need for such a crappy attitude towards someone else's ideas.

Perhaps you could endeavour to be more polite in your replies in the future and maybe areas like PVP wouldn't be so ignored by the majority of the public.

If you would have looked at my sig, I am primarily a PVE player. So would you please not compare me to those "hardcore pvpers" that only whine and insult on the forums?

It being a stupid idea is just my personal opinion.

It has taken me less than 5 minutes to log into my char, look at some defense stats and find out what I wrote in my last post. This is why I said that the person didn't know what they were talking about.

I usually research a topic before I write anything about it if I don't know it off of my head. People who do not do this in even the slightest way, like the person I replied to, are just spreading or creating misinformation, which in no way benefits anyone.

I am sorry if I sounded rude, I don't want to insult anyone, I was just stating my personal opinion.

Solo players currently have no way to get hilts and barrels that I know of because the only modded weapons drop from raids making our cartel pack weapons stuck at the 190 mods they gave us at the end of chapter 8. So I think it should be.

Go do heroic Star Fortress and hope RNGesus is with you, I have a couple of 208 dropped hilts and barrels ;)

Edited by LudhaninRolgge

Go do heroic Star Fortress and hope RNGesus is with you, I have a couple of 208 dropped hilts and barrels ;)

Yeah I know its possible to get them through means such as Heroic Star Fortress and even ripping them out of off hand radiant crystal items but its not convenient doing it for every alt. Heck if they just added a vendor selling 200 mods at this point I'd be happy, things are just crazy in life right now and an easier way to gear would be nice, especially since I went through KOTFE hardly changing out my gear because they gave me blue 190s from Ziost and then gave green 190s for the nine chapters. That's probably why solo players are asking for gear is because we don't feel like we geared up from 3.0, if I recall the last of the SOR gear was 186 so even those that skip Ziost only go blue 186 to green 190.

As much as I like your ideas, at this stage I'm pretty sure the mechanics for the Arena will be locked in. They're supposed to be releasing it with Chapter 11, so about 6/7 weeks if it's on schedule (unless they changed it again, totally possible).

I know, but I can still hope.

Don't know, I never played WOW.

It will be nothing even close to the difficulty of getting gold in Proving Grounds, much less the Proven titles. That difficulty scale doesn't come close to fitting in with the current paradigm in KOTFE.

Don't know, I never played WOW.

They run a very similar system. You can enter an instance and do 'rounds' at Bronze, Silver and Gold level based on spec (Healer, Tank, DPS). They get very progressively harder. If I remember correctly each one was 6-8 rounds per BSG level and it was timed. You had anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute to complete that round. Gold is very difficult to achieve; doable, but difficult. It gear scales you down to the difficulty of the challenge. It's been a year since I left WoW, so I can't remember exactly what iLevel it scaled you down (or up if you were lower) to.

It will be nothing even close to the difficulty of getting gold in Proving Grounds, much less the Proven titles. That difficulty scale doesn't come close to fitting in with the current paradigm in KOTFE.

I wasn't thinking about or considering difficulty level when I asked, only style. I was trying to relate what the poster was suggesting to a format I'm familiar with.

Edited by Devlyne
Spacing; Grammar

The format is more similar to Brawler's Guild than Proving Grounds. In Proving Grounds, you had the same few waves just with scaling difficulty, continuing forever until you died. EC will have 10 waves, each completely different, and after the 10th wave you are done. And it looks like it will be the same no matter if you are tank, healer or DPS, and you can take your companion with you.

When developing EC, I believe BioWare intended to recapture the feel of the Taris dueling arena from KotOR; they didn't want to copy a system from WoW.

One of the best things of Brawler's Guild is IMO that every player can watch while you fight and cheer for you, this makes for a very social experience. Meanwhile, it looks like EC will be fully solo mode, with at most some NPCs rooting for you.

BioWare did say on the stream that they want EC to be an introduction to group content but I am doubtful that this will work, especially because the most recent dev post sounds like there won't be any mechanics involved but it will be more of "kill the boss and let your companion heal you", with gear and companion influence making up for any low skill.

The format is more similar to Brawler's Guild than Proving Grounds. In Proving Grounds, you had the same few waves just with scaling difficulty, continuing forever until you died. EC will have 10 waves, each completely different, and after the 10th wave you are done. And it looks like it will be the same no matter if you are tank, healer or DPS, and you can take your companion with you.

When developing EC, I believe BioWare intended to recapture the feel of the Taris dueling arena from KotOR; they didn't want to copy a system from WoW.

One of the best things of Brawler's Guild is IMO that every player can watch while you fight and cheer for you, this makes for a very social experience. Meanwhile, it looks like EC will be fully solo mode, with at most some NPCs rooting for you.

Oh, I was referring specifically to what that poster was suggesting for their vision of it, not the idea that BW has put out. I do have to admit though, when I was listening to the stream and the suggestion that it was group content segway, it did make me think of Proving Grounds. At one time (I don't know if that's true now), you had to pass Proving Grounds with at least Bronze level to do heroic content.

I did like that Brawler's Guild was social. I pretty much liked it all...except Hexos. :mad: It was always nice to get a heal when you came back out, or someone to cheer for your win.

Edited by Devlyne
More thoughts

I like the idea of a do or die mechanic for the higher or final boss(es).

In fact I think the final boss should have three different versions of a do or die mechanic. Where the player would randomly get one of three mechanics to pass or fail . Perhaps not these mechanics exactly, but off the top of my head players could get a version of the boss with:

--A long cast needing to be interrupted

--A growing, pulsating AoE they need to get out of/break LoS

--Small circles everywhere to avoid/make the player displace

Maybe with a color coded aura or boss skin variation as a visual cue.

Could be fun, create some "which did you get?" conversations, and could automatically give participants something extra in common to "deal with", which I feel can help foster player camaraderie. :)

--This is even more of a half-baked idea, but through the process I was thinking we could get two similar new companions along the way and then have to make a choice which lives/dies. (Like twin droids or a bro/sis thang).

A manufactured "choice that matters" for sure but just a thought.

Probably a reach for this content, but maybe in some future chapter or w/evs...

¯\(°_°)/¯

P.S. Edit:

Lolz I now realize my post may be a bit off topic for the thread technically. So ummm... Whatever everyone else thinks for rewards is cool with me. :p

Edited by foxxecho

Had to give this one some thought really.

Traditionally I would be against opportunities outside of operations that give token gear. However, it is 4.0 that we're talking about now and there is no more gearing for SM operations and people are encouraged to have a lot of alts.

Then considering we just have the same old operations to repeat ad infinitum for now, perhaps it would be refreshing to have a place where people can get some gear together to prepare for HM operations so that people who already do a lot of operations can skip the SM phase at least to some degree.

So yeh, considering all that I would be ok if completing the tougher parts of the championship can gain you 216 token gear.

I have 25 level 65's by now so I suppose this would be a welcome change of pace between all the operations I do and the moments where I'm logged in well before raid time....let it come.

Had to give this one some thought really.

Traditionally I would be against opportunities outside of operations that give token gear. However, it is 4.0 that we're talking about now and there is no more gearing for SM operations and people are encouraged to have a lot of alts.

Then considering we just have the same old operations to repeat ad infinitum for now, perhaps it would be refreshing to have a place where people can get some gear together to prepare for HM operations so that people who already do a lot of operations can skip the SM phase at least to some degree.

So yeh, considering all that I would be ok if completing the tougher parts of the championship can gain you 216 token gear.

I have 25 level 65's by now so I suppose this would be a welcome change of pace between all the operations I do and the moments where I'm logged in well before raid time....let it come.

You say that from a perspective of someone actually knowing what he's doing and ready for HM. Now imagine how destructive it'll be for HM PuG's. You'll have all those guys with 216 set gear that never set foot in an ops and that think because they have nice gear can skip SM because "everybody say SM are faceroll and I cleared EC several time so I should not bother and go directly to HM"

I really don't even care about the gear if the fights aren't worth doing for their own sake instead of being champion mob encounter duels of attrition. I already don't grind ops for ops gear because ops have become dull, and I'm not going to grind single player content I don't enjoy even for ops gear.

Focus on making battles interesting enough to like replaying like memorable boss battles can be in other games first.