Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

A ready check is a simple feature that many would appreciate. SGRs are a huge feature (if done right). Judging from this thread and others, many want this huge feature but I am unconvinced it does not represent a vocal minority.

I doubt anyone has exact figures on it but whether it's a vocal minority or not really isn't the point. They've said it's coming in. Just because it, and other features that they've said will be in, are not yet doesn't equate to 'never'. Bottom line is this is all guessing (on both sides of the fence, the 'never will' and the 'will some day') and until we get confirmation from a developer (or see them appear in-game) we just won't know what they have planned for any of these features.

An educated guess is still a guess.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Granted, there's no way to know what BW did or how they're going to do things in the future, so... yeah. :o

I'm sure they have companions at least partially done. Absolutely sure of it. But I doubt they have any complete and ready to plug in, that was my only point.

Were I a developer I wouldn't, for example, hire someone to record the lines months before plugging the character in because developments might cause those lines to change, and then you've got to re-hire the person all over again.

This reminds me of something I wanted to bring up, though, as it's about getting new companions for SGRs and part of why I hope that's not how BioWare does it: simply put, what if we don't like the new companions?

Simply put: that's our bad luck, and we'll need to wait for more characters to be added.

Harsh, perhaps, but it's true. They're not going to put in brand new characters and then change them completely because some people don't like them.

Let's be clear here: some people will dislike them. There are a lot of subscribers playing the game and a lot of different tastes in the mix. I'm willing to bet there's a huge variation of tastes in the watchers and writers of this thread alone. So yes, you can be certain that some people won't like any new companions added for reasons ranging from tactical to aesthetic.

It's a concern. It's a worry. But it's not really worth spending too much time fretting over because we just don't know what's in store; I have very strong preferences for certain companion characters for differing reasons and I'll be very disappointed from my own sake if none of the SGRA-enabled companions are to my tastes. But even if that's so I'll be thankful that those characters are in for the people who do dig those companions.

If Kira's the JK's female SGR option, fine and dandy, I'll be thrilled. But what if she's not? I have this vague idea of the JK's female SGR companion being some smart-mouthed blaster jockey smuggler, someone who's supposed to have a love-hate relationship with the JK but whom I just can't stand having around.

Then, alas, you're going to be disappointed and will need to wait for another character you do like. Believe me, Kira's one of my Hopes too. I really don't think they're going to alter the companions to your tastes or mine once they're already in.

I know this is completely hypothetical, but I think it's a legit concern and it's a huge part of why I hope BW doesn't go the "only with new companions" route for SGRs. Back at the guild summit, they said they're reading our suggestions, so I'm hoping they've decided to make SGRs with current companions.

Legit concern, yes, I agree. A concern we can do much about? Probably not, because they'd need to take the tastes of an unknown number of individuals (some of which wouldn't even weigh their opinions in) to 'get it right'. They'd really need to introduce dozens of new characters for SGRA and OGRA both if they did that. I don't think they'll ever release Personality Mod DLCs for the Dragon Age 2 characters for the same reason.

Yeah, I'd really think anyone who's played an MMO for any amount of time would know that. :D I just plain don't get some players' tendency to say "it's not in yet, so it's never going to be in". That would be like me saying, "Well, I'm not 50 years old yet, so I guess I'm never going to be." :confused:

That, I can clarify. You see, it's not a matter of 'it's never going to be in", but rather a matter of "not worth waiting for". We pay a subscription. The bill ticks off every month, whether they add the features we want or not. When we make the decision of how we spend our money, we look at what is in the game, what they state they intend to add, and the timetable it will take to get those additions we're interested in, and we compare the amount of enjoyment we will get to the amount of money we will spend. Somebody who has been waiting for Same Gender Relations, for example, might be willing to hold out for the original announcement of 'this year' because they purchased a 6 month subscription, and the next billing cycle of this 6 months should be guarunteed to contain what they wanted. When we are then told that we will have to wait until 'next year' for new story content, and developers refuse to comment on whether that includes the postponement includes Same Gender Relations, we no longer know if we are looking at the original 'this year', or this new timetable of 'next year'. And if it is 'next year', there is a big difference betwen 'early first quarter' and 'just in time for Christmas'. In short, some customers who have been patiently waiting for what was advertised may not want to pay 18 months more of subscription fees while they wait. Not when they have the option to cancel and come back later when the game offers them everything that they wanted.

This of it like subscribing to Satalite Television. If you buy the Ultra Sports Package because they advertise "All Sports Channels", only to discover afterwards that they do not have 'The Golf Channel", you may not be phased at all because you had no intentions of watching Golf. But if you are an avid Golfer who is more passionate about Golf than any other sport, perhaps the large amounts of Football, Baseball, and Basketball still leave you feeling unfulfilled. If your Satalite Company promises you 'Golf Channel will be added soon", that can appease you for a while. But when your subscription runs out and you've been paying for whatever period of time for something you never recieved, and then they tell you there are additional delays with 'some channels' and won't specify if your channel is one of the delayed, nor any clue how long these additional delays will take, perhaps you might not want to pay for another year of channels you don't watch just as a show of good faith to the people who have already let you down.

Just because they swear it's coming someday does not mean you want to keep paying them money for the privilege of waiting during all the weeks and months and years in between now and 'someday'.

Edited by fptackle

That, I can clarify. You see, it's not a matter of 'it's never going to be in", but rather a matter of "not worth waiting for".

<snipped for brevity>

This is an entirely valid and sensible point. It is, indeed, a matter of whether the features are worth waiting for and I, for one, firmly believe it's every player's conscientious and personal responsibility to make this decision for themselves - to really think about it, to assess what it means to be waiting an untold number of months for a feature to come in, and to decide within themselves whether they should be paying their subscription or not.

Myself, I've made that decision. I'm going to stay and I'm going to keep paying - for now.

Having said that, this is a personal decision made (or avoided) by each and every subscription payer. While I agree with the core of your point I think it's important to reiterate that everyone currently paying for a subscription to this game needs to make the choice for themselves, and that every person will have slightly different criteria as to whether the feature, the game, the experience is worth paying for.

Just because they swear it's coming someday does not mean you want to keep paying them money for the privilege of waiting during all the weeks and months and years in between now and 'someday'.

Well said, thank you. *golfclap* I wish more people would recognize this sort of thing, instead of getting all doom'n'gloom about features just because we haven't heard about them for a while.

As for whether I'll continue to pay while SGRs aren't in, I'm still holding to BioWare's statement that they're coming this year. If January hits and we still don't have SGRs, I plan to cancel my subscription, because I don't want to keep paying for a game if I can't play more than half of my characters the way I want to. But that will be then, this is now, and a lot can happen between now and then.

And the answer to "when will then be now?" is, of course, "soon." :D

Also: please remember, everyone - flag the trolls, don't fight. Let's not give our friendly neighborhood mods more work. :)

Also: please remember, everyone - flag the trolls, don't fight. Let's not give our friendly neighborhood mods more work. :)

Exactly. Flag it, don't feed it. If it's smart enough it'll work out that homophobic tripe isn't welcome here.

Well said, thank you. *golfclap* I wish more people would recognize this sort of thing, instead of getting all doom'n'gloom about features just because we haven't heard about them for a while.

As for whether I'll continue to pay while SGRs aren't in, I'm still holding to BioWare's statement that they're coming this year. If January hits and we still don't have SGRs, I plan to cancel my subscription, because I don't want to keep paying for a game if I can't play more than half of my characters the way I want to. But that will be then, this is now, and a lot can happen between now and then.

And the answer to "when will then be now?" is, of course, "soon." :D

I just want some clarification on this post: You will be canceling your subscription because you cant: choose answer 2, make the screen go black while your characters exit stage right, then reenter and make useless dialogue that doesnt effect you or anyone else in the game as far as gameplay or advancement?

Please, correct me if im wrong. I just feel like this is childish logic and you arent allowing yourself to enjoy the game for what it is. Again, i appologize if im reading into this or not picking up on something.

I think we should be watching the Q&A more closely, i feel answer's comeing in the near future with the amount of discourse going on here.

I just want some clarification on this post: You will be canceling your subscription because you cant: choose answer 2, make the screen go black while your characters exit stage right, then reenter and make useless dialogue that doesnt effect you or anyone else in the game as far as gameplay or advancement?

You appear to be looking at the game from a primarily stat/advancement/levelling viewpoint (which is fine for your game but may not work for others). What is 'useless' for you might be highly entertaining for someone else.

Please, correct me if im wrong. I just feel like this is childish logic and you arent allowing yourself to enjoy the game for what it is. Again, i appologize if im reading into this or not picking up on something.

'Childish' is an extremely subjective and loaded word almost certain to draw antagonism; I would respectfully suggest you think about using the word 'incomplete' or 'limited' next time (if they are, indeed, what you mean by 'childish').

'For what it is' is also subjective. What the game is can be accurately said to be many things - including fully-voiced PC-NPC interaction with romantic arcs. If you're concentrating on a different part of 'what it is' then that's great for you, but others may have different perspectives.

That difference doesn't make it 'childish'. It doesn't mean the person isn't 'allowing' themselves anything in particular. It simply means the lack of something they find enjoyable has outweighed the other aspects the player does find enjoyable.

I can't claim to speak for MusedMoose or anyone else but the story aspects of PC-NPC interaction go well beyond a fade-to-black. There's interactive banter, the process of warming to a companion character, the inevitable 'head-canon' process that goes on with any gamer paying attention to any aspect of the story - and, of course, the simple right to approach the game on an equal footing to a heterosexual player. It's very easy for a person to say 'This thing isn't important and is a silly thing to be disgruntled by' when they have it and someone else doesn't.

I think we should be watching the Q&A more closely, i feel answer's comeing in the near future with the amount of discourse going on here.

Discourse has been going on here with no reflection in the Q&A for months now. And I'm certain it will continue for months more.

Edited by Kioma

Your idea of gameplay differs to our's, we came here for KotOR 3,4,5,6, etc... we are BiOWare RPG fans, now I don't speak for us all, but I imagine at least some of us agree that regular MMORPG gameplay isn't what makes us enjoy this game.

Some of us are avid role players, hence the role player part of RPG, what you may think is just a fade black and a few dialogue scenes, we see as a massive part of our character's story development and integral to our enjoyment of the game, we aren't getting a main part of the story to enjoy that we get with other BioWare RPGs, the romances with companions, something all of us here view as central to our experience.

Now I imagine you may state that there are romances we can partake in, we just don't choose to, no that would equate to a straight male having the option for his male character to romance only another male character or not take part at all.

We are simply asking to be able to enjoy what the heterosexual role-players get to.

And where I am concerned, I've almsot finished all the class stories, I will have little to enjoy unless they implement this, now that isn't some "GIMME NAO OR UNSUB!" threat, it is simply the fact of the matter for me, eventually I'll have very little to do, being able to take part in almost a completely new story would be fantastic for me.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

If it makes anybody feel better...

Same-Sex Marriage and relationships are accepted in Mandalorian Culture during this time in the Galaxy. So even the Mandalorians, a nomadic, war driven, culture accepts it. And most of the Galaxy accepts it too.

The Lore is there, so there's no reason to not install it.

Play games the way you want to. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 had an entire level of content devoted to playing as a terrorist and just mowing down innocent people. It's pretty sick and twisted, but you had a choice to play it or not. Same thing with Same-Sex relationships in SWTOR, you have a choice to play that content if it's offensive to you or not.

And just so you know, that little amount of content (Which took resources and weeks of development to create.) didn't affect game sales at all. Remotely.

P.S: Off-Topic but why does nobody use Polls anymore.... :(

Edited by TheLoneSage

I didn't. Couldn't get into KotOR. Something about those games bugged the hell out of me. That's just me, though.

That's where the 'some of us', etc... part came in.

Oh and WHAT?! deary deary me, couldn't get into KotOR? I feel much sympathy for you.

That's where the 'some of us', etc... part came in.

Oh and WHAT?! deary deary me, couldn't get into KotOR? I feel much sympathy for you.

No need to. :) If nothing else I have no idea what I'm missing. I'm enjoying many aspects of SWTOR and that's fine for my needs. The lack of SGRAs is a glaring omission, though - thus why I'm here.

Forgive my use of the word childish if it offrends. Childish is a good discriptive adjective for a person who doesnt or cant consider all facts or relevant opinions and respond or not respond accordingly. Its not ment offensively. I would guess im childish in not being able to see how this would effect your enjoyment of the game to the point where you would not play anylonger because of the above stated reasoning.

You are argueing semantics of words. There's no reason to give merit to these coments.

I appear to be looking at the game from the average MMORPG player's expectations of a game. Since this is an MMORPG, and not a PC - NPC RPG, i would think my logic follows the line of the majority of players. I could be wrong, but probably not.

I, personally, wish they had left "romance" out of the game all together, this is a very personal opinion. Its prolly not shared by alot of people.

Ty for atleast trying to explain why you would offer an ultimatium to bioware for content that really has little visual, audio, or social interaction value.

All the off topic stuff out of the way....

I want to ask, if Heterosexual/homosexual content is availible. I would like to ask for a way to "transgender" my characters. It isnt fair that i cant dress my male character up in the female characters clothes and flirt with my male companions. I tried to use the slave girl social gear on my male character, however, my torso just went invisible. Hopefully this, and other issues will be fixed in the near future. Not being able to wear the slavegirl outfit on my body type 4 male character wont keep me from enjoying all the great fun this game has to offer!

I dont think that the "homosexual" line of conversation would be applicable to a feminine male transgender person.***

Sorry, i also wanted to say that i appreciate people going out and scouring the web for any info availible on this topic. You guys work hard so i dont have to =).

Forgive my use of the word childish if it offrends. Childish is a good discriptive adjective for a person who doesnt or cant consider all facts or relevant opinions and respond or not respond accordingly. Its not ment offensively. I would guess im childish in not being able to see how this would effect your enjoyment of the game to the point where you would not play anylonger because of the above stated reasoning.

You are argueing semantics of words. There's no reason to give merit to these coments.

But I argue them with a point, which I think you're missing. They're loaded terms which I suspect have more general meaning than you intend to apply. In most circumstances, as an example, people would indeed take 'childish' as a derogatory term, as it is almost universally meant in a derogatory fashion when applied to an adult.

I'm not arguing for the sheer heck of it. I'm trying to deflect hostility and keep the conversation civil.

I appear to be looking at the game from the average MMORPG player's expectations of a game. Since this is an MMORPG, and not a PC - NPC RPG, i would think my logic follows the line of the majority of players. I could be wrong, but probably not.

I couldn't say but I suspect you're right, that most people probably do see the PC-NPC conversations and romance arcs as being a diversion from the 'main game' at best. I have no issue with you taking this view, either, because it's your view and you've a right to have it. Again, though, that's not actually the point here. What the majority feels isn't in question. You asked a specific individual about their views and made a comment on their logic in doing so. When speaking of the logic of one person the majority isn't a matter of discussion.

I, personally, wish they had left "romance" out of the game all together, this is a very personal opinion. Its prolly not shared by alot of people.

I don't think anyone has hard-and-fast numbers on it but I suspect the majority of players probably aren't too fussed either way.

Ty for atleast trying to explain why you would offer an ultimatium to bioware for content that really has little visual, audio, or social interaction value.

...to you. To others it may or may not have a great deal more visual, audio or social interaction value. Plus I don't think MusedMoose's comments are meant as an ultimatum (though I could be wrong). I read them as statement of intention. If MusedMoose were emailing every BW:A department possible saying 'If you don't put SGRAs in by the end of the year you lose a subscription!' that would be more of an ultimatum.

Some people quit MMOs because the PvP isn't good enough or there's no end-game content. Quitting because there are facilities in place for one section of society and not for another is just as valid - to that person.

All the off topic stuff out of the way....

I want to ask, if Heterosexual/homosexual content is availible. I would like to ask for a way to "transgender" my characters. It isnt fair that i cant dress my male character up in the female characters clothes and flirt with my male companions. I tried to use the slave girl social gear on my male character, however, my torso just went invisible. Hopefully this, and other issues will be fixed in the near future. Not being able to wear the slavegirl outfit on my body type 4 male character wont keep me from enjoying all the great fun this game has to offer!

This is possibly meant to be a derisive question but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and take it seriously.

Personally I was sort of annoyed that there are such things as 'male' and 'female' costumes. I see no issue at all to allowing players to run around as a male Jedi Knight wearing a lady's dress. Why not? They'll only really do it for a short period of time, in all likelihood, and then swap back to their normal gear. And yes, I can see benefits in terms of RP to allowing this - not only for transgendered and gender-bending people but also for circumstances involving, say, dress-up parties. Seeing a huge hulking Twi'lek come to a social event dressed as Grand Master Satele Shan would be a hoot.

Not being able to wear the slavegirl outfit on my body type 4 male character wont keep me from enjoying all the great fun this game has to offer!

Slave boy was announced at the Guild Summit, so it should be in the game Soon. And yes, my gorgeous Roro will be wearing it :3

To me the lack of communication with regards to SGRA's points to a much larger problem that Bioware has in general, and the lack of them at launch is indicative of the very sorry state of affairs the gaming community finds itself in. I did briefly consider not leveling my Agent until SGRA's were introduced but then I fell in love with the storyline and his little giggle. Oh god I miss his TA giggle.

Forgiven, no worries. :) Here's the thing for me: I've long been a role-player at heart. I've been playing tabletop RPGs for years, and in most video game RPGs I play, I tend to narrate things in my head as I go, thinking about what the characters might be saying and conversations they might have, how they would react to the situations they're in, and so on.

Part of why I enjoy SW:TOR so much is that I can define my character the way I want to through the dialogue choices and actually have that be reflected in-game. It's the first MMO I've played where your character actually gets to make choices beyond "take or refuse this quest". Having the companions along only adds to this - they add a lot to the story, and I usually imagine the conversations they have with my PCs throughout the game. That's why I'm always glad to hear a companion actually speak up in a conversation.

However, because the came currently only supports heterosexual relationships (and flirting, but that's a different thread), it's keeping me from playing my characters exactly as I want them. I don't want my characters to miss out on having a companion who's more than just a loyal friend, but at the same time, I play both male and female characters and I have no interest in playing out romances with male companions. Waiting for SGRs means that I have to hold off on playing my female characters because I can't play them the way I want to. This takes away from the overall game experience for me.

I think that losing out on part of the game that someone wants to play is a valid reason to decide to quit. This sort of thing comes up all the time in MMO discussion. And one person's good reason to quit is another person's good reason to shrug.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "PC - NPC RPG", but if you mean a single-player RPG with a party, I'd say you're partly wrong. While it's definitely an MMO, the addition of companions makes the game a little bit more like a single-player RPG. So TOR is kind of in the middle.

Also, bit of friendly advice: don't make an argument based on thinking the majority thinks like you do. You're rarely right, and people love tearing down someone saying "everyone thinks this way". :D

As Kioma said, it's not an ultimatum, more a statement of intent. If you want to get technical (I'm a writer, so using the right word is important to me), an ultimatum usually involves a demand, and I didn't demand anything of BioWare. Just said I'd quit if SGRs weren't in this year.

As for the value of SGRs, that is entirely your opinion. You're welcome to it, but I recommend you don't expect everyone to agree with it. For me, the romance arcs are an extension of stories that I already really enjoy; I love seeing my PCs get closer to their companions, and I look forward to anything that adds to the companion stories. That's where the value is for me.

Officially my first post on these forums. And it had to be about romances.. true BioWare fashion!:p

Hello ppl, long time BioWare fan but had some trouble this year with one of their other games.. I wont even mention it. Anyway, it brought me to BSN and forum lurking in general.

The only way I got out of this depression that the other game caused was when I made my swtor jedi sentinel and started fighting the Sith! =P

I love this game so much! The only thing I have now been upset about is no SSR's.. I'm lvl 26 and I only just had my first dislike about this game, pretty special!

But yes, being bi I would love to be able to romance Kira. She's funny, quirky and has a good heart, my kinda girl. She reminds me of a cross between Isabela from DA2 and Liara from ME. Both of them were romancable so for Kira to not be kinda sucks lol.

Plus, if it's not Kira, then it's Doc... I haven't even met him yet but he has a moustache... lol he reminds me of Doc Holliday.....

Officially my first post on these forums. And it had to be about romances.. true BioWare fashion!:p

Welcome! Hopefully you'll meet some awesome people here.

Plus, if it's not Kira, then it's Doc... I haven't even met him yet but he has a moustache... lol he reminds me of Doc Holliday.....

I've heard of him being described, basically, as Bruce Campbell with a kolto obsession.

Welcome! You've picked a good place to start. Not that I'm biased or anything. Not at all. :p

I love this game so much! The only thing I have now been upset about is no SSR's.. I'm lvl 26 and I only just had my first dislike about this game, pretty special!

But yes, being bi I would love to be able to romance Kira. She's funny, quirky and has a good heart, my kinda girl. She reminds me of a cross between Isabela from DA2 and Liara from ME. Both of them were romancable so for Kira to not be kinda sucks lol.

Yah, Kira's one of my big hopes for SGRs as well. It was really difficult for me to stop playing my JK, but I felt like I was missing out on so much by not being able to romance her with my female character.

If you've looked through the thread a bit, you might know that news on SGRs is pretty scarce, but the latest is that they're coming this year. Many of us are really hoping SGRs will be added to current companions, but we won't know until BioWare says so. Any other characters in particular you're hoping for? My other big hope is Mako; play a Bounty Hunter for, like, 10-20 minutes and you might agree. :D

Slave boy was announced at the Guild Summit, so it should be in the game Soon. And yes, my gorgeous Roro will be wearing it :3

To me the lack of communication with regards to SGRA's points to a much larger problem that Bioware has in general, and the lack of them at launch is indicative of the very sorry state of affairs the gaming community finds itself in. I did briefly consider not leveling my Agent until SGRA's were introduced but then I fell in love with the storyline and his little giggle. Oh god I miss his TA giggle.

As to the lack of SGRAs when the game launched, I believe they were working on them when other more pressing matters came up having to do with gameplay and graphics glitches. Remember, this "Hero" game engine is still new and relatively untested, so there are bound to be glaring problems with it until they get all the wrinkles ironed out.

Also, I believe EA, being EA, gave BioWare The Deadline for launch and didn't care that the game really wasn't ready for launch yet. However, the basic framework for SGRAs is there. Most notably when the female SW goes with Vette to free her sister on Nar Shaddaa....

There's a part where Vette's sister says "No couples, no women" and the SW can ask: "Wait a moment. I want to explore this "no women" policy. After all, we are all mature adults here, right?"

That left my jaw on the floor. :eek: and grinning ear to ear. :D

However, the basic framework for SGRAs is there. Most notably when the female SW goes with Vette to free her sister on Nar Shaddaa....

There's a part where Vette's sister says "No couples, no women" and the SW can ask: "Wait a moment. I want to explore this "no women" policy. After all, we are all mature adults here, right?"

That left my jaw on the floor. :eek: and grinning ear to ear. :D

You say the basic frame work is in, and then point to something that has unfortunate implications.

If I remember rightly (and I do, because I just looked up a youtube video of the conversation), Vette reacts badly, and you take a hit to her affection when you say that.

She says, and I quote,

(at about 0:45 in the video I linked). So she either thinks you're joking, or she is really embarrassed or uncomfortable with it (or both) - now I suppose it's arguable it's because Tivva is her sister, and not because it's two women, but it's not the best or most positive example of "subtext" in the game.

Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?

Edited by Zandilar

Umm.. *scratches her head* I'm sorry, but are we so desperate for SGRA in the game that we'll grab whatever we can get?

Pretty much. We know the content should be there, so we scratch around for any hint of it. But as it stands, SWTOR is a pretty heavily heterosexist game. It is. It shouldn't be, but it is, and that is in a word disappointing.