1.2 New armor models!

Iwipe

Dear Bioware

The end gear designs are horrible. Please make your art team, go and watch all the Star Wars films.

Then get them to design gear, which looks like robes and armour from the Star Wars films!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BW fails at creating decent armor skins... They should have a public (player based) concept art contest for armor skins and give out IPADS or something and the results would be 10 times better. Not only that they would be able to fire their current armor design team and save loads of $--the turn around time would be much quicker as well. Too bad they don't listen to players...

I think BioWare saw the Tread and is starting to realise that we dont like the new end gear.

I think they are not concerned about it because in 1.2, you can take the mods off and put it in ORANGE GEAR.

I don't mind that end game gear is ugly.

I prefer BioWare to invest in ORANGE GEAR.

This way, not every player will look the same and you can have a lot of orange gear to choose from. And you can convert normal gear to orange gear with crew skills.

I think it solves the problem.

So now, BioWare has to add new orange gear so we can have a geater variety and your looks will be pretty unique! :) (L)

Love the idea of promoting orange gear BioWare!

I love you!

...So you're saying that because BW is too lazy to design good looking end game gear we should be content with the limited amount of "decent" looking orange modable gear? What is wrong with this picture? Don't tell me that the numbheads running the show at BW were able to brain wash most of you into thinking they had our best interest at heart when they "gave" us more costume options via orange gear? Make no mistake that was just an attempt to plug a hole in the dam with one finger.

BW if you truely are reading feedback then take this and feed it back to your team:

CONSIDER POLLING END GAME GEAR VERSIONS VIA FORUMNS BY YOUR PLAYER BASE BEFORE SHOVE THINGS DOWN OUR THROAT! ALTERNATIVELY, ALLOW PLAYERS TO DESIGN ARMOR SKINS VIA SOME FORM OF CONTEST--AGAIN POLLED VIA THE PLAYER BASE.

It really doesn't take much to find solutions when you really want to find them...

Hey everyone, thank you to everyone who took the time to leave feedback. The development team are very aware of everyone's thoughts and we've particularly appreciated constructive comments which will always give us a better idea about how to change things in the game.

Wholesale changes to the armor sets in Game Update 1.2 are not possible at this time. Creating new armor sets is a process with a long lead time, so changes cannot be made quickly. However, we're listening to your feedback and that will influence things going forward. We would also urge you to look at the armor sets in-game. With the new color matching options available in Game Update 1.2 and higher resolution textures, some of you might be more impressed by armor sets in-game.

With that said, we'd like to make this discussion a bit more constructive moving forward. We understand some of you aren't fans of the armor sets as shown; that's fine, and we've heard you loud and clear. We've also heard the calls to make armor more 'iconic' and 'more Star Wars like' - and thanks to those of you who provided reference to your favorite armor styles.

We'd like to see more of that, so feel free to provide more constructive comments on what you feel your end game armor styles should look like for your class in The Old Republic.

...So you're saying that because BW is too lazy to design good looking end game gear we should be content with the limited amount of "decent" looking orange modable gear? What is wrong with this picture? Don't tell me that the numbheads running the show at BW were able to brain wash most of you into thinking they had our best interest at heart when they "gave" us more costume options via orange gear? Make no mistake that was just an attempt to plug a hole in the dam with one finger.

BW if you truely are reading feedback then take this and feed it back to your team:

CONSIDER POLLING END GAME GEAR VERSIONS VIA FORUMNS BY YOUR PLAYER BASE BEFORE SHOVE THINGS DOWN OUR THROAT! ALTERNATIVELY, ALLOW PLAYERS TO DESIGN ARMOR SKINS VIA SOME FORM OF CONTEST--AGAIN POLLED VIA THE PLAYER BASE.

It really doesn't take much to find solutions when you really want to find them...

A public contest would be amazing! in game prizes (mounts, unique gear, title etc. or even game time)

BW could really profit from doing something like this.

Hey everyone, thank you to everyone who took the time to leave feedback. The development team are very aware of everyone's thoughts and we've particularly appreciated constructive comments which will always give us a better idea about how to change things in the game.

Wholesale changes to the armor sets in Game Update 1.2 are not possible at this time. Creating new armor sets is a process with a long lead time, so changes cannot be made quickly. However, we're listening to your feedback and that will influence things going forward. We would also urge you to look at the armor sets in-game. With the new color matching options available in Game Update 1.2 and higher resolution textures, some of you might be more impressed by armor sets in-game.

With that said, we'd like to make this discussion a bit more constructive moving forward. We understand some of you aren't fans of the armor sets as shown; that's fine, and we've heard you loud and clear. We've also heard the calls to make armor more 'iconic' and 'more Star Wars like' - and thanks to those of you who provided reference to your favorite armor styles.

We'd like to see more of that, so feel free to provide more constructive comments on what you feel your end game armor styles should look like for your class in The Old Republic.

IF the public had some idea's, could we post pic's, drawings or sketches can we send them somewhere?

(edit, makes more sense after my morning coffee)

Edited by Henu

Official forums won't display the picture so I will just link them here..

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

Includes both PvP & PvE sets. Empire version looks very bizarre.

NEW PvP armor stats! - set bonus identical to current set bonus

http://mmo-mechanics.com/news.php?article=1-2-pvp-war-hero-armor-preview

NEW PvE armor stats! - no set bonuses on PTR (yet)

http://mmo-mechanics.com/news.php?article=1-2-pve-armor-stats-preview

That's just for high end though =( Are there any new orange schematics from profession drops?

IF the public had some idea's, could we post pic's, drawings or sketches somewhere?

We'd prefer to see links to inspirational sources, rather than "Make it look exactly like this". That gives the artists ideas.

With that said, we've heard the requests for some sort of community interaction on future armor sets, and we're looking into that.

Simple Robes for Force Users would be great, looking back at the movies or books etc....

I play Sith chars and all Im looking for is black hooded robes, pure and simple... while some of the designs arent too bad, I really dont needed spikey shoulders or metal bikinis...

Edited by Amalak

how cute, you think throwing a temper tantrum will get the armor designs changed 2 weeks before the patch hits

then they should delay the patch until they reskin the armor. Put the team working 7 days a week if you have to. That's what we have to do in our jobs if something we built has flaws and must be fixed to meet a customer's deadline.

We would also urge you to look at the armor sets in-game. With the new color matching options available in Game Update 1.2 and higher resolution textures, some of you might be more impressed by armor sets in-game.

With all due respect, no amount of high res textures or seeing something in-game is going to change the fact that those armors just look ridiculous. It's not the resolution, it's the metal blades sticking out everywhere, the feathers, the horns. I assume the blades and horns don't just magically disappear when viewed in a higher resolution.

I'm glad you are listening to us though because the current armor designs are just terrible.

I would also like to see some better gear for Sith Inquisitor, why are all sets look like we wear dresses? Especially Assassins, I would love to see more clothes like Darth Maul wears, Id like to have boots and pants as well.

Simple Robes for Force Users would be great, looking back at the movies or books etc....

I play Sith chars and all Im looking for is black hooded robes, pure and simple... while some of the designs arent too bad, I really dont needed spikey shoulders or metal bikinis...

Here's an open question in regards to that.

We always have to balance two things with armor. On the one hand, there's the gameplay requirement of "Make high level, very exclusive armor look like it's unique and powerful so other players can see that at a glance".

On the other, there's the aesthetics requirement - to make clothing echo the simple, almost plain looking clothing that's seen on some characters in the Star Wars saga. That led, in part, to orange gear in the game, which allows you to have an iconic appearance that doesn't suggest your gear's statistics.

The question is, how do you balance that? Arguably Obi-Wan's robes in Episode IV are very 'low level' in appearance. Would you want to see that as an armor set for a high level character? Would you not be concerned that players would see you as low-level? Or do aesthetics trump gameplay for you?

Except some of the high level gear doesn't look very high level at all. Take consular set - off shoulder? It looks so plain and...(and no offense to your art team)....ridiculous.

Looking iconic so others take notice was thrown out the door when the game allowed us to switch out mods etc.

There is such a thing as getting 'too' fancy. I think people want something that looks cool and 'powerful' without looking....(and this is for lack of a better word so I apologize)...stupid.

Honestly Mr. Reid, I go through the game and I see plenty of NPC's with nicer armor then we player's have.

Take for instance the Green Jedi on Corellia, something like that for a social armor would go a long way to satisfying the players.

My main character is a Jedi Knight, and while I recognize you want something exclusive, I honestly feel that you're making us look like clowns most of the time and it's honestly very difficult for me to get attached to characters who everyone is making fun of. Heh.

I think you could go with both. Basic robes such as those that Darth Maul or Obi Wan wore, but use accents such as lanyards off of the hoods, colored piping on the leggings or lower robes, sashes, or even just cool embossed designs on the backs or chest areas that denote the higher levels of achievement.

And yes please, I want a serious dark side assassin outfit like Darth Maul wore. : )

Arguably Obi-Wan's robes in Episode IV are very 'low level' in appearance. Would you want to see that as an armor set for a high level character?

Give it at low level and make sure it can stay viable through high level. That way the player has the choice either way.

Would you not be concerned that players would see you as low-level?

There is a handy level number attached to the character portrait; I'm never concerned about what the appearance indicates.

Or do aesthetics trump gameplay for you?

Why do you make that an either/or question? Must the look of gear be absolutely locked to its efficiency? Again, let the players make their own choices.

All of the "worst" armor for force users, I think, has a lot of "stuff" sticking out of it.

My Consular wants simple robes. He wears the Noble Consular Vestments, as they are a nice dark blue/grey. He picked them up on Coruscant -- as you point out, low-level armor is the simplest.

If you want to add some pizazz to robes, I think you could do it with some embroidery. Perhaps a thin, gold pattern running all the way along the hemlines.

Emblems could go on the lower half of the robe, I think, either in front of or behind the legs. Not on the back of the torso, though -- that makes it look like a sports jersey. Maybe a flare of something small coming from the hemlines on the hood on either side of the head.

Generally speaking small and symmetrical, I think, rather than large and centered.

With all of this, I'm thinking ornate, particularly Celtic, patterns.

But please, please, please stop the hood from clipping with my Miraluka's mask.

Here's an open question in regards to that.

We always have to balance two things with armor. On the one hand, there's the gameplay requirement of "Make high level, very exclusive armor look like it's unique and powerful so other players can see that at a glance".

On the other, there's the aesthetics requirement - to make clothing echo the simple, almost plain looking clothing that's seen on some characters in the Star Wars saga. That led, in part, to orange gear in the game, which allows you to have an iconic appearance that doesn't suggest your gear's statistics.

The question is, how do you balance that? Arguably Obi-Wan's robes in Episode IV are very 'low level' in appearance. Would you want to see that as an armor set for a high level character? Would you not be concerned that players would see you as low-level? Or do aesthetics trump gameplay for you?

Hey Stephen :)

Here's two other words you guys may need to consider whilst designing new suits of armor: Functionality and Practicality ;)

First and foremost, you (as the hero) are expected to do battle. Often this revolves around doing acrobatic maneuvers with lightsabers and whatnot. But I would love to see a professional stuntman perform such feats whilst wearing some of the armors you guys provided.

So please, when next your artists twists their minds into bringing to life new gear; tell them that the armor must still be functional and practical to use. Giant spikes and banana boats are not functional nor practical.

With all due respect, no amount of high res textures or seeing something in-game is going to change the fact that those armors just look ridiculous. It's not the resolution, it's the metal blades sticking out everywhere, the feathers, the horns. I assume the blades and horns don't just magically disappear when viewed in a higher resolution.

I'm glad you are listening to us though because the current armor designs are just terrible.

With all due respect, that's not entirely constructive criticism, but I see your point. :)

Obviously, anything visual is going to be highly subjective, but we're not trying to be avant garde for the sake of it. Like I said, the team is listening and we want to hear which specific elements you may have an issue with, too.

I want to be a character like in the movies and really not interested in the dangling stuff you guys have right now. There is really no incentive for me to PVP. Give me a simple single color mysterious robe - I'm good to go. Level 1 to level 50. Aesthetics is the reason I play. I do not look at another character and think of what his/her level is based on what they look like because I really don't care. I have a mouse over to determine their level. It is all about me and what *I* look like, not the other way around.