Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do what Rift did X size difference.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do what Rift did X size difference.

Dummmy
12.13.2011 , 05:11 PM | #1
Rift was indeed a smooth one day launch with head start. Some have said that Rift was small compared to swtor. My suggestion is they should have done what Rift did times the difference between launch populations. Then everything would be fine and EVERYONE could be on at the same time like other games. This can be done by doing what other company's did and increase hardware accordingly.

Rift never took there servers offline when everything went live. It just kept flowing fine. Why is swtor different? It can't be population, because that could be handled with more hardware and better management.
I'm mad

Dummmy
12.13.2011 , 05:13 PM | #2
Would not work? The current swtor head start is lacking so much compared to Rift it does hurt. I hated rifts gameplay to a degree, but the game ran so smooth you had to give them credit.
I'm mad

SuberBaird
12.13.2011 , 05:16 PM | #3
The difference is EA

Gomla
12.13.2011 , 05:16 PM | #4
Rift is quite possibly the smoothest launch i've been in.

Didn't enjoy the game so much but I got in smooth enough during head start.

I'm not going to start complaining but I wasn't a fan of the "staggered" approach when I heard about it from these.

I saw this coming a mile away with flashing pink neon signs.

And I don't see it getting any better over the next couple of days.

tullnd
12.13.2011 , 05:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dummmy View Post
Rift was indeed a smooth one day launch with head start. Some have said that Rift was small compared to swtor. My suggestion is they should have done what Rift did times the difference between launch populations. Then everything would be fine and EVERYONE could be on at the same time like other games. This can be done by doing what other company's did and increase hardware accordingly.

Rift never took there servers offline when everything went live. It just kept flowing fine. Why is swtor different? It can't be population, because that could be handled with more hardware and better management.
So can I ask what your qualifications are to establish that comment? So they can just scale up hardware with no issues? You do realize it's not a linear scale, right? It's not just a matter of adding more servers. There's a LOT of design and overhead involved in expanding a system like this. It's not just adding "one more server" that handles a certain load. There's a variety of different components, that serve various functions. Some handle the initial account verification and authorization. Those are also attached to billing systems. Some handle the saved individual account data. Some handle the server access/portals. Those are usually load balanced and can be rather complex. Then you have servers that are handling the instances as well as the world that your toon exists in.

As you scale this up, you begin to experience issues with bandwidth for communication between the servers. Now maybe you need to upgrade all your switches from 10Gig interlinks to 100Gig interlinks, or maybe some alternative method of load on the switches as well(not just servers). THis equipment is not available at your corner electronics store. So it's not just lying around waiting to be plugged in. It takes a lot of planning and evaluation to determine where the actual failure is that is causing a load issue.

So at a lower volume, maybe servers in the instance area are suffering the most performance woes at first. But as you increase volume, maybe they don't see a matching increase in performance hits. Perhaps the load transitions to become more of an issue for the verification servers or the portal servers. It just depends.

So, since you claim that it's all so simple, I'm really curious to know what field you work in so you can enlighten us on all your knowledge about this subject matter, in addition to the specifics of how Bioware has planned out their network infrastructure to handle scaling of this level.