Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars - Gender Neutral?

KnightOfTython
12.28.2011 , 03:56 PM | #11
Its a mans world!

Quote:
Thoughts?
Knowledge.

jmasters
12.28.2011 , 04:15 PM | #12
From studying Developmental Psychology in college, honestly the child won't really take much from how a room looks as a baby and is mainly up to the parents. Not to say you should have posters with blood and gore on the walls. I've seen some cute star wars baby stuff in stores and so to fit your original question, I'd say it can be pretty gender neutral although action and sci-fi tends to be viewed as a boyish thing in society.

KnightOfTython
12.28.2011 , 04:21 PM | #13
Well i actually think some things shouldnt be transformed just to be girl compatible.

The cinema scope is an issue for good stories.

There is a reason why Anakin and Amidala or LotR Aragorn Arwen is a bit too much and never ment to be by Lucas or Tolkien that way.

But cinema revenue works only with girlish elements.

Thats why movies never kill books ,cause they not authentic enough with a bunch of fake romance.

BrigOrion
12.28.2011 , 09:30 PM | #14
You aren't actually going to argue with your wife over decorating the nursery? Don't. Just don't.

Malchiro
12.29.2011 , 01:30 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Senladar View Post
I feel that Star Wars is gender neutral, my wife disagrees and feels it's very male driven and would make no sense for a girl.

Thoughts?
Don't try to convince her, women(let alone pregnant women) and logic don't mix.

JynetikXIII
12.29.2011 , 04:30 AM | #16
The Star Wars EU is pretty gender neutral (speaking as a woman), moreso than the two movie trilogies. I feel that there really are not many strong female characters to relate to in the movies. I mean Padme is kinda as good as it got, and even then she makes some really strange decisions and does not really seem all that confident, intelligent, or interesting. The Clone Wars animated series is pretty good, I think Ventress and Aurra Sing are more interesting and likeable than Ashoka.

Boys and Girls look for different things, there is a lot for both to like in the Star Wars universe. However it is definitely marketed towards boys.

Macheath
12.29.2011 , 04:53 AM | #17
The more important question is, why is it inappropriate in any way to expose a little girl to something which is "boyish"? Are you planning to ban your little girl from experiencing any media which is not specifically catered to females? If not, then I really don't see the issue.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Aaoogaa
12.29.2011 , 04:53 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by BrigOrion View Post
You aren't actually going to argue with your wife over decorating the nursery? Don't. Just don't.
This.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.