Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP: Healers Need Not Apply?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP: Healers Need Not Apply?

Isshinryu
12.27.2011 , 02:39 PM | #1
Bioware developers,

A critical and pivotal role in PvP is not recognized in PvP rewards: healers!

I heal my team, heal ball runners, open doors, capture nodes, and receive no rewards in comparison to the "I kill gud... duh" crowd.

Why do objective PvP game designs reward kills over objective captures? Nodes and door rewards should overshadow pure kills.

Frustrated,

Issh
=== Isshinryu ===

PossibleBit
12.27.2011 , 02:54 PM | #2
Are you sure about this, I could have sworn I got pretty much any and all kills in my close vicinity attributed to me as well - Not the killing blows, but the kills nontheless. Also there are specific medals awarded for healing (i.e. healed for 2.5k with a single heal, healed over 75k etc. pp.). Additionally, it is rare that I do not get at least a single MVP vote after healing through a victorious WZ.

Quesa
12.27.2011 , 02:56 PM | #3
While I see and experience what you are saying (i've opened all 3 doors and healed in Void Star only to be eclipsed by someone with alot of kills - whom I kept alive to do so) PvP healing brings it's own rewards of the team succeeding or a 3v2 situation going bad for the other side.

It's hard to emphasize certain behavior, aside from objectives, because you don't want people to think the devs are favoring what play-style over the other.

elidion
12.27.2011 , 03:10 PM | #4
Yeah not sure what would be going on, it's awesome that you capture nodes and open doors. I'd be very interested to see you play with a team that didn't "kill gud duh" as you put it. The guys you mock for racking up damage and kills is what opens those opportunities. As other posters have said, you get objective points for healing, and then there is the actual objective score as well that you get for playing good defense and/or offense (not talking about the medals). The point is, you are playing as a team, not for yourself.

Stratoforce
12.27.2011 , 03:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by elidion View Post
Yeah not sure what would be going on, it's awesome that you capture nodes and open doors. I'd be very interested to see you play with a team that didn't "kill gud duh" as you put it. The guys you mock for racking up damage and kills is what opens those opportunities. As other posters have said, you get objective points for healing, and then there is the actual objective score as well that you get for playing good defense and/or offense (not talking about the medals). The point is, you are playing as a team, not for yourself.
Damage done and killing blows, point for point is vastly more reward valor and medal wise than PvP. Let alone objectives.

I get way more reward by padding my damage with AoE than when I heal in PvP.
Haters Gonna Hate.
Never give up the fight.
Kolto for your cuts.

Killadrix
12.27.2011 , 03:19 PM | #6
I heal because I enjoy it, and because whenever I play DPS there is always that ONE GAME where if I had been healing, we would have easily won, but because I was DPS we lost.

And it makes me sad.

elidion
12.27.2011 , 03:23 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Stratoforce View Post
Damage done and killing blows, point for point is vastly more reward valor and medal wise than PvP. Let alone objectives.

I get way more reward by padding my damage with AoE than when I heal in PvP.
I've been the primary ball carrier in huttball, got like 2 medals, bottom damage but score 3 out of the 6 points. When I didn't have the ball I would protect the ball carrier, CCing people chasing them, yanking them away ect. Looking at the scoreboard I was awful...but I still got the same exp/commendations/valor as I normally do when I don't run the ball and focus more on damage.

All of that stuff is supposed to affect the group as a whole, I get kill credit for fights I didn't participate in, so I'm not sure where you are going with it. Other than the fact that I don't get MVP votes which rewards bonus valor/commendations because on the scoreboard it looks like I performed poorly (even though I enabled most of the scoring to occur), I am not missing out on much anything.

Victheone
12.27.2011 , 04:09 PM | #8
Yep, healing gives far less rewards than anything else when it comes to PvP, doing 300-400k healing and earning 4-5 medals at most and seeing the people you are busting a gut trying to keep alive getting 8-9 is pretty frustrating.

Red_Cruiser
12.27.2011 , 04:51 PM | #9
It's less rewarding, and it's not that effective.

PvP is too much about focus firing the right target, and no amount of healing can keep up someone who is being focused. The damage output lost by someone healing isn't offset by the additional survivability and DPS of the person being healed. Nor does the addition of a "guard" toon and the loss of DPS in that department offset it either. The base damage done by healers is too small to effectively contribute to this.

TLDR: Roll DPS Sages/Sorcerers, focus fire the enemy healer. Watch as your Damage done is x2 or x3 any Healing done.

Moolah
12.27.2011 , 05:30 PM | #10
As a gunslinger, I always get toasted on the rewarded medals by my buddies playing commando and shadow.

I am limited to the DPS medals, while they are racking up medals from both DPSing and tanking/healing.