Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enrage Timers Need to Go

ApakSL
12.27.2011 , 09:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Grader View Post
This is not really true, you simply tweak the regeneration rate of the boss. If hes not being damaged at a certain rate his regen increases by a certain %.

EX.
If your DPS is above 6000 DPS the boss does not regen or regens very slow ( 500 hps/s )

If the combined DPS falls below 6000 DPS the boss regens 2k /s. This means the boss is still "doable" but will take longer and have more chances for screw ups for raid members standing in fire...etc.

If the DPS falls below 4000 DPS the regen increases to 4k/s which would basically become a stalemate. Even less would result in the boss out regenerating your damage output.

This type of mechanic is much more player friendly then a hard enrage that instakills everyone. This type of mechanic also allows for the raids combined dps to "slack off slightly".. sure the boss will maybe go from 40%---- 42% ------ 46% and people will scream "Pick up the DPS , hes regenerating!" The raid then has a chance to turn things around and step it up a notch and turn a loss into a kill. Bosses can still be a challenge.

You could argue its the same thing as an enrage timer but I dont think so. Sure a raid could stack 4 healers but they would never be able to overcome the regen of the boss to kill it. The raid never gets insta-jibbed by a DT enrage. Instead they decide to lose a couple healers and bring more dps. Let the playerbase decide.
Dude, all you're proposing is a soft enrage timer. What's the difference, if you dont dps enough you die. Sure, enrage timers might be "lazy encounter design" but it's a lot less lazy than wow until 9 months after it released.

eroscastaldi
12.27.2011 , 09:18 AM | #22
Quote:
1, good dps beats enrage timer. learn to play your class or you don't deserve purple loot.

2, you already beat the mechanic first time around, hardmode is there for a reason... so it feels hard.

3. encounter lasts more than 6 min is a waste of time. We only live once, let's do more in less time.

4. You might argue point 3 and say wipe = more waste of time, well do better and one shot it everytime afterward.

5. I personally thought the game is easy until I tank my hardmode flash. I finally see potentiall end game. Nothing is hard unless it's bugged. Try harder please instead of making the game easier. Then you gonna have bunch of people complaining the game is too easy and blahblah gw2, arrow to the knee.

6. stop being lazy, figure stuf out, like dps rotation, stun rotation, tank position, healing priority, itemization in accordin to talent spec etc etc. It's the fun part of mmo.
Up, This
(████████████████℈▓╪╪╪╪╪╪⋟␣⋞▓|{ị████████████████)

Rieverre
12.27.2011 , 09:23 AM | #23
Yes, I think enrage timers are silly if they aren't supported by any kind of fluff relevant to the encounter. It just feels way too much like you're not heroic but getting through an encounter on luck alone - if there's no relevant plot/fluff reason for the boss to just take stuff and _not_ unload on your *** with everything he has right off the bat it's cheap.

In all, cheap, tedius, annoying and distinctly un-epic. Just shift it from a ridiculous self-buff to summoning masses of adds or something similar. It would certainly be less of a strain on suspension of disbelief.

Magdain
12.27.2011 , 09:27 AM | #24
My visceral reaction was the same as yours: Enrage timers in this game's content so far are artificial difficulty and gating. After thinking about it though, enrage timers aren't inherently bad; They're not mutually exclusive with good encounter design.

There are far more resource management tools in this game than in its competitors, meaning if you have enough healers that you have excess global cooldowns, you'll never run out of mana. Again this isn't inherently bad design, since it's balanced by making damage high enough that excess global cooldowns are uncommon. In this system, enrage timers are needed to ensure that it's actually worthwhile to bring DPS rather than stack healers for longer but trivial kills.

Your complaint at the core really is, and I agree with wholeheartedly, that the content just isn't difficult enough. Instead of using hard modes as a way to implement more challenging mechanics, all they did was recycle the exact same fight but with increased damage output and health.

Narcistic
12.27.2011 , 09:27 AM | #25
I think they need longer enrage timers. They should definitely keep them but extending them a little bit longer wouldn't hurt anything.
Pretty Scary

Narcistic
12.27.2011 , 09:29 AM | #26
If you are working on a fight for 8-10 minutes then you are probably not geared for the encounter or running 3 healers 1 tank and therefore should hit a enrage.

But giving 2 dps 1 tank and 1 healer 8-10 minutes to finish a single fight would ensure victory as long as you had people able to avoid mechanics and heal through tough encounters.
Pretty Scary

eopyu
12.27.2011 , 09:30 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rieverre View Post
Yes, I think enrage timers are silly if they aren't supported by any kind of fluff relevant to the encounter. It just feels way too much like you're not heroic but getting through an encounter on luck alone - if there's no relevant plot/fluff reason for the boss to just take stuff and _not_ unload on your *** with everything he has right off the bat it's cheap.

In all, cheap, tedius, annoying and distinctly un-epic. Just shift it from a ridiculous self-buff to summoning masses of adds or something similar. It would certainly be less of a strain on suspension of disbelief.
well I feel heroic after I killed a boss that took skill and dedication and not LOLpewpew afk through it like the rest of the normal mode. The moment your heart gets pumped, you know it's heroic, not just the stuf hapening in the background (which I absolutely love the background atmosphere). The luck part of the encounter must've been bug, and I think bioware is fixing. The game is one week old, give it a break.

Toegrinder
12.27.2011 , 09:33 AM | #28
This thread is ridiculous, Rage timers NEED to be there, there is NO reason why they need to go, it forced the DPS to preform, it adds skill to DPS, without enrage timers, DPS would simply be things that sit there and hit buttons

Tanks need to keep aggro
Healers need to keep people alive
DPS need to beat the enrage timer
Quote: Originally Posted by ZombieMeerkat View Post
It does work. But you can't see past the QQ goggles.

eopyu
12.27.2011 , 09:34 AM | #29
adding new mechanic is a plus, but enrage timer is still needed to weed out the lazy ones.

they can change the enrage timer from increase damage taken to something else like an enrage mechanic where if you don't kill x boss within 6 min, random stuff is gonna overwhelm everyone gradually and eventually wipe the group.

Deresdod
12.27.2011 , 09:44 AM | #30
I like enrages, but not all bosses should have it set so low. Designed enrages are the way to go. By this I mean, Either player or boss gets stacks of buff/debuff before as fight progresses, different trigger abilities and such.

Really if the encounter is designed good, there's need for very few enrages.

BUT, I agree with all boss, ALL, having an enrage at more than reasonable time for regular encounters. Hard and nightmare, put them in as a gearcheck, absolutely.
< CATALYST >
⋆ ⋆Destroying End Game content since 2005.⋆ ⋆
@deresdod