Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

chrisftw
12.25.2011 , 05:38 PM | #11
i've been responding to quest as i would if i was in the situation. and have noticed i side more to the light while i'm not getting MASS LIGHT or MASS DARK by making nothing but good or bad decision with a mix between the two eventually it will even out.

if you are intentionally playing neutral again like in another thread. you're doing it wrong.

in this narrative because there is no back story to your character. you're literally creating it. you can't be the jedi that blows up 10 planets because he saved 10. doesn't make any sense

and i for one hope they never put grey gear in the game.
Tell me more Brotholomew.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:39 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderAlpha View Post
Protip: If it bothers you that much, get Diplomacy as a mission skill. It lets you get more LS or DS points for endgame stuff.
It costs credits.

Why should he have to do this?

Alignment rewards should be PURELY COSMETIC, or they need to reward all the players who have used their own moral compass and picked both light and dark side decisions at different times (keeping them either neutral, or at Dark I/Light I).

shadowfoxe
12.25.2011 , 05:39 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Latorn View Post
Man, I completely agree, I've been going on about this forever but it seems to be getting such little attention. Neutral gear, or at least neutral relics need to be added stat!

The most interesting and unique part of this game is utterly broken if we're being punished for making our own decisions. This thread needs to stay on the front page along with other major issues like skill delay, etc. Bioware NEEDS to do something about this.

Screw more flashpoints and operations, fix the most important and innovative part of your game before you lose subscriptions from all the people like you and I who have made their own decisions and are punished for it.
huh you have been going about this forever the game has been out only a few days /facepalm

Imizael
12.25.2011 , 05:39 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MrTijger View Post
So, you basically want choices without consequences. Too bad you are asking for that in a game 100% based on the battle between dark and light.
Well... come on. Even in the novels and movies, a Jedi could instantly go full-on dark side because of 1-3 choices, and Darth Vader himself was redeemed by the light for one choice.

Many of the things that give you dark side points are silly moustache-twirling kinds of evil that don't make much sense for anyone to choose, even if you happen to be Palpatine, and other dark side things are more like just perspectives. Similarly, many light-side points are awarded for acting in a completely sanctimonious, holier-than-thou kind of way that are very distasteful.

So yeah, the light / dark isn't really doing a terrific job in the game. Particularly when rather good equipment is dependent on many of those quirky choices.

ReSeNt
12.25.2011 , 05:40 PM | #15
Hey dude, I play neutral too. It's pretty fun cause I just pick whatever I want to. In beta, I tried picking a side but I felt like I was pigeon-holed into answering certain ways even if I didn't want to. So now I just choice what I want, sure I don't get relics but the enjoyment is worth it. If you know how to play your class really well, relics aren't going to make or break ya.

I also turn off the display that tells you a choice is light or dark. Oh and I've heard they're going to add neutral stuff, so I'm not worried.

MrTijger
12.25.2011 , 05:40 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
its not even about the gear anymore, its the fact that we are being punished for making our own decisions.

If you play as either all light or all dark, then you aren't making your own decisions; you are making the decisions you are supposed to make. They aren't your own, the are the right ones you are supposed to make because you have to choose them to get any positive rewards.
You're notbeing punished, you are complaining that your choices have consequences.

Jeweledleah
12.25.2011 , 05:42 PM | #17
unfortunately - this has been bioware's issue since original KOTOR, possibly even before that. its just as bad in Mass Effect, except in SWTOR you cannot hack your light/darkside points like you can with ME paragon/renegade score.

I'm hopeful that they will in fact add more gear that has no alignment requirement, I'm personally even fine if it costs 3 times as much/is harder to get. as long as the option is there and its possible to pick choices as you see fit instead of min maxing them. right now I'm playing a character for whom its in character to take mostly lightside choices, but its not going to be so cut and dry with several of my alts.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:42 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Vs_Blue View Post
not every choice grants you points, and there is a fricken war going on. you don't stay neutral during a war. And all the choices are compelling, if you do not pick a side you are really just hurting yourself by restraining your natural character.
I think I need to point out the difference between making a neutral decision in one scenario, and making a light and dark decision in two separate scenarios (leading to a neutral reading on the alignment scale).

Were talking about the second instance. If I choose to play a character who thirsts for revenge, but saves every innocent life he comes I'll end up making both light and dark decisions... and I'll be punished for it.

DarkSeverance
12.25.2011 , 05:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
The entire concept of choice here is an illusion. Right now there is no choice, its either all dark or all light. The penalty for choosing otherwise is an entire equipment slot.
I hate to tell you this but that is the definition of choice. You can choose dark or you can choose light. Not choosing light or dark is the opposite of choosing, you are doing nothing, you are then not making a choice.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:44 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
unfortunately - this has been bioware's issue since original KOTOR, possibly even before that. its just as bad in Mass Effect, except in SWTOR you cannot hack your light/darkside points like you can with ME paragon/renegade score.

I'm hopeful that they will in fact add more gear that has no alignment requirement, I'm personally even fine if it costs 3 times as much/is harder to get. as long as the option is there and its possible to pick choices as you see fit instead of min maxing them. right now I'm playing a character for whom its in character to take mostly lightside choices, but its not going to be so cut and dry with several of my alts.
Yet Mass Effect doesn't restrict gear based on alignment, and it isn't an MMO. Gear is vital in an MMO, and the fact that it's restricted based on the choices a player makes forces the players hand.