Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Three simple fixes to put healers back on equal footing with dps.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Three simple fixes to put healers back on equal footing with dps.

ColdLogic
12.24.2011 , 04:40 PM | #1
Note: I am a lvl 29 fully specced Combat Medic and these are just my humble opinions. I mostly think these are balanced, but healing needs a few tweeks to bring it up to par.

More instant cast healing abilities, mobility is an issue. (Until we can stack alacrity gear)
Fix the UI not updating when raid members are taking damage. (Single biggest issue atm)
Increased stun/cc/knockback protection. (Healers get tossed around like rag dolls)

These three simple fixes would increase the effectiveness of healers tremendously.

P.S. for Commandos, take away the giant green beam for hammershot healing. It is not tactically savvy and just says to the entire enemy team, "hey! I'm over here healing, come smash my face in!"
Feet First Into Hell (FFIH):Guild Leader
◘ (PvP) Est. Hardcore/Light RP:
••••Official Website Feet First Into Hell••••

Nykes
12.24.2011 , 04:46 PM | #2
Find a tank, tell him to guard you and the only fix you will need is with the UI.(peels if you have no tank friends)

Seriously healers are now like everyone else and need assistance from other players, you are a support, try to act like one.

If healers are totally self sustainable they become unbalanced in small gang pvp.(Resto druids in season 2) No class in the game can be an unstoppable killing/healing machine, every class needs a counterpart to really shine (yes even sorcs/sages need help), this is a team based game and a damn good one at that.
GM of Blackwater

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

ColdLogic
12.24.2011 , 04:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Nykes View Post
Find a tank, tell him to guard you and the only fix you will need is with the UI.(peels if you have no tank friends)

I don't think you understand the severe mobility issues we have in pvp atm. I do run with a tank vanguard & a dps commando usually, and yes... guard is wonderful. Outside of a perfect group scenario, healers do need a little love... they are a bit lackluster if your team is incompetent. If you're a dps, you are far more useful with an incompetent team.

Nykes
12.24.2011 , 04:52 PM | #4
Actually, I do, this is coming from someone who plays a melee class (sentinel), you have plenty of mechanics to kite melee and the maps offer plenty of cover for LoS. You really just need team mates to help you, without them you will die, the same as I will die without heals or guard.

Edit: You also bring alot more to the table being a healer(most classes have hardly any self sustain) if your team is incompetent, it is the same as if you were a dps and your team is incompetent, you lose.

Since the dps in this game is not very bursty, it is alot harder to carry the game as a dps, it is much more based around teamwork.
GM of Blackwater

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

-kobie-
12.24.2011 , 04:56 PM | #5
Since the dps in this game is not very bursty, it is alot harder to carry the game as a dps, it is much more based around teamwork.
Someone needs to hammer this into the average Republic player's head TOOTSWEET
Barrahm/Loora/Tylarr
The Arkanus Legacy
The Harbinger

ColdLogic
12.24.2011 , 05:17 PM | #6

I've noticed plenty of burst with inquis type classes, they can deliver attacks at a much faster pace than I can heal. Especially their channeled abilities which are not cut off when you los behind a corner.

Healers cannot dominate a warzone, but dps can.

Zeromentor
12.24.2011 , 05:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ColdLogic View Post
I've noticed plenty of burst with inquis type classes, they can deliver attacks at a much faster pace than I can heal. Especially their channeled abilities which are not cut off when you los behind a corner.

Healers cannot dominate a warzone, but dps can.
Inq's are suppose to do that.
It's up to you to heal the guy trying to guard you from those nasty healer-killers.
Ex-SWG player from 2005-2008.
RIP: Zeromentor, level 90 Bounty Hunter
RIP: Zerocyber, level 72 Spy.
Europe-Infinity Server. Now on Kinrath Spider.

ColdLogic
12.24.2011 , 05:34 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zeromentor View Post
Inq's are suppose to do that.
It's up to you to heal the guy trying to guard you from those nasty healer-killers.
There is a reason why 80% of the team rolls inquis dps, and it's not because healing is on par, they know a halfway decent inquis can totally dominate a healer, there is a marginal skill threshold for healers. At our best, we still look mediocre, even if we top charts.

DwaneDibbley
12.24.2011 , 05:34 PM | #9
/shoooooo
get lvl 50 and gear up expertise stuff, then consider QQing again.

Zeromentor
12.24.2011 , 05:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ColdLogic View Post
There is a reason why 80% of the team rolls inquis dps, and it's not because healing is on par, they know a halfway decent inquis can totally dominate a healer, there is a marginal skill threshold for healers. At our best, we still look mediocre, even if we top charts.
Bring a Sage and either a Gunslinger or DPS Commando. Any of those, combined with just about any class, can counter up to 2 Inqs at once, excluding player skill.

Sith Sorcs are healers or heavy ranged DPS with annoying CCs and escapes. Assassins are heavy melee damage and stealth. One is countered easily with a good gunslinger, the other is countered by a good vanguard (which the OP has, correct?).

Healing is fine. They just need to fix UI bugs so it can shine more without the healer having to do something strange, like manually look for the player recieving a beatdown. You know, like a tank has to.
Ex-SWG player from 2005-2008.
RIP: Zeromentor, level 90 Bounty Hunter
RIP: Zerocyber, level 72 Spy.
Europe-Infinity Server. Now on Kinrath Spider.