Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Auction needs changing. Badly.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Auction needs changing. Badly.

Draconax
12.24.2011 , 03:55 PM | #41
Ya the GTN definitely needs some work. Honestly, just make the GTN identical to WoWs, and I would be happy. Not being able to search by name, or search by slot, is extremely tedious. If I go there looking for a specific underworld metal I need for my crafting, I dont want to do 3 different menus, and then search through 8 pages of metals I dont need to try and find the one I do need.

cstebbin
12.24.2011 , 03:59 PM | #42
Agreed x10. It's tedious.

Flaxman
12.24.2011 , 04:28 PM | #43
I agree with wanting to be able to search for a specific item name without having to use a bunch of filters, but other than that, i think the GTN is fine, no need to be able to post auctions, its not an auction house, and it is simple to use, people are just too lazy to actually learn to use it.
If i see the GTN get WoWified i will rage.

Seraphical
12.24.2011 , 04:38 PM | #44
Also signed.

This was my only trepidation to buying the game; I decided that I would give the game a shot anyway which is a testament to the awesome questing system because it's distracting me from now already making insane profits.

Akrome
12.24.2011 , 04:40 PM | #45
agree - where is "SEARCH BY NAME" ....?
A fool and his money are soon parted

Chaoticgamer
12.24.2011 , 04:50 PM | #46
Bioware should go looking at the auction houses in other games to see how it should be done. I would say that WoW is the best example. Also look at addons like Auctioneer to see what people like that WoW doesn't do. Rifts Auction house sucks but even that's better than what we are given. We need options for searching, but also sorting options would be good. Sorting by gear level, buyout price, quality, item types. Bare bones AH just doesn't work.

inseeisyou
12.24.2011 , 05:08 PM | #47
I can only assume they are aware the GTN is lacking, but they chose to provide us with a bare bones system that is at least reliable for launch and they will work on it in the future.

If not... sheesh. Obviously it is far too simple at the moment.

snafusan
12.24.2011 , 06:10 PM | #48
Am I the only one who's noticed the filter option at the bottom while searching for items?

You pick your categories... you search... then you apply filter *after*

This isn't a particularly unintuitive system, I got it first time. It's not even 'stupid'

However - filter by slot would be luvverly. I think just expanding the filter options would take care of most of the issues.

<3

Taldek
12.25.2011 , 09:34 AM | #49
Yeah the current design is pretty terrible. Not event efficient from an architectural standpoint. You have to do a broad search over a category prior to even getting the option to narrow it down by filter which in most cases would presumably cause unnecessary bandwidth consumption. And I can't tell you how many times I accidentally click the search button instead of that annoyingly tiny arrow button that performs the filter at which point it <sarcasm>cleverly</sarcasm> clears your filter text so that you have to re-key it. Not being able to search by sub-category for armor and weapons is a major problem. And to make all of this worse there are a lot of items which aren't categorized properly (ex: Underworld Cloth under Crafting Items->Diplomacy). I seriously get the impression that this part of the game was left up to a few interns who completely missed the mark.

etemenanki
12.25.2011 , 10:12 AM | #50
I would agree the GTN does need some work, but it is far from the horrible mess some of you seem to be saying it is.

If you want to search by slot all you have to do is set your required tabs, hit search, and then fill in the relative term for the item your looking for. Slots of a certain level range all share the same name, ie Greaves, armguards, etc. Once you search based on that, you will get all of the items for a slot listed. Does it take effort to do this? Yes. Should it be neccesary? Not really, but that hardly makes it broken.

The most important thing you have to remember when using the GTN is to do one broad category search, and then search by name. Once you have that down, it's all simple.

As for why it's not an Auction Hall, that is fairly simple I imagine. Higher level players, ie Rich players, can't drive up the prices beyond unreasonable rates for the newer, lower level players.