Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the point of housing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the point of housing?

Projawa
07.26.2014 , 11:46 PM | #11
To keep people busy
To extend the lifetime of stale content. People will be running old fp/ops for decorations.
To drain money out of the economy
Housing is a feature that any modern AAA MMO must have. By doing GSH TOR no longer has that glaring hole in the comparison checklists (now that hole is cross server queing)

I think TOR has done passably well with their skeleton crew. It's also becoming more and more apparent that the crew is skeleton.

Jrr_hypernova
07.27.2014 , 01:01 AM | #12
housing is a human invention made to provided protection from weather and wild life. it was made as an upgrade from the crude huts tents that served as dwelling for early civilizations.

TX_Angel
07.27.2014 , 01:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Chat on Strongholds will NOT be instanced. The Chat you get to read is the one from the planets when Strongholds are located.

I guess it's safe to assume you'll be fine on Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa but Dromund Kaas and Coruscant?
You honestly don't believe the gold spammers will just go there?

They are already whispering... so rude...

Callaron
07.27.2014 , 01:25 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Chat on Strongholds will NOT be instanced. The Chat you get to read is the one from the planets when Strongholds are located.

I guess it's safe to assume you'll be fine on Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa but Dromund Kaas and Coruscant?
Brace for the Hodoring in 3, 2, 1...!
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

TX_Angel
07.27.2014 , 02:24 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
I think TOR has done passably well with their skeleton crew. It's also becoming more and more apparent that the crew is skeleton.
^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

OddballEasyEight
07.27.2014 , 03:08 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TX_Angel View Post
^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.
I don't agree with your term.

The game is still putting out new content (and yes, it still counts as content even if you don't like it)
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

LordArtemis
07.27.2014 , 03:14 AM | #17
I have an answer to this if you are interested.

The point of housing is to invest, or more accurately stake your claim/become a part of the world you play in.

You get to make a part of the game universe yours. It will be something you have created, something unique. Youre now truly part of the environment instead of simply being a visitor.

That's the best way I can describe it.

ThorgrimLutgen
07.27.2014 , 03:53 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I have an answer to this if you are interested.

The point of housing is to invest, or more accurately stake your claim/become a part of the world you play in.

You get to make a part of the game universe yours. It will be something you have created, something unique. Youre now truly part of the environment instead of simply being a visitor.

That's the best way I can describe it.
I would agree, and even buy into the concept, if, the houses were not instanced separately. There was nothing wrong with Lotros neighbourhood system, where you looked and around bought the house you liked the look of, in the location you liked best. If someone else had that spot, you went to another instance until you found your spot vacant.

Without having neighbours, or at the least the simulation of them, it is just another single player dolls house mini game.

Darth_Wicked
07.27.2014 , 03:56 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ThorgrimLutgen View Post
I would agree, and even buy into the concept, if, the houses were not instanced separately. There was nothing wrong with Lotros neighbourhood system, where you looked and around bought the house you liked the look of, in the location you liked best. If someone else had that spot, you went to another instance until you found your spot vacant.

Without having neighbours, or at the least the simulation of them, it is just another single player dolls house mini game.
I like dolls.

Errrr...

I mean, I liked dolls.

Supa-S-
07.27.2014 , 03:58 AM | #20
I was thinking they may try to shadow Wildstar with it.

For those that don't know, Wildstar uses it's housing as a very useful base of operations. Not only rest xp, but also plugs that give great benefits like unique teleports, personal buffs, rare materials, and even some fun useless gizmos.

But, currently, I'm underwhelmed by this housing design and just want 3.0 instead