Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the point of housing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the point of housing?

Songano
07.26.2014 , 02:43 AM | #1
Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?

DrewFromPhilly
07.26.2014 , 02:47 AM | #2
To funnel money into the cartel market

ThorgrimLutgen
07.26.2014 , 02:50 AM | #3
None whatsoever for me. It was a gateway to legacy storage for me, but not now I can only have 5 tabs, it is pointless.

Great for the roleplayers and ERPers I imagine though.

That said, the whole system is more antiquated than Lotro's, which has been around for years.

This is potentially a bigger flop than GSF.

discbox
07.26.2014 , 02:57 AM | #4
It's a lifeless exhibition hall of stuff.

They created housing free of any fun. You have to respect this achievement by BioWare. Any other person would have tried to make housing fun.

akdonkey
07.26.2014 , 03:07 AM | #5
Star Wars Galaxies, had a great housing system. No one ever do that type again.

Kissakias
07.26.2014 , 03:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
It's a lifeless exhibition hall of stuff.

They created housing free of any fun. You have to respect this achievement by BioWare. Any other person would have tried to make housing fun.
Go look SWG housing man and then come to tell me for crappy Lotro, and the lol swtor one

The housing here is only for legacy storage and nothing less, BUT with the tabs pricing is forbidden for a lot
and with the mat stacks at 99 their price is huge
greedy EA strikes back
Join us and earn gooood rewards using my referral http://www.swtor.com/r/ZvPhZd... Be a suber today!!
--48460--achievement points--

Tsillah
07.26.2014 , 03:20 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Songano View Post
Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?
The point of housing is the same as anything else in a computer game: to keep people busy.

It may not be your thing but you'll find that there are a lot of people who like this sort of thing, just like some people like raiding or pvp or doing story line missions. It's just a different activity. You'll likely see in improvement in queues since all of a sudden people have a new reason to do flashpoint for example so they can collect as many decorations as possible.

If you don't like to play interior decorater, that's cool. But you will get loot and crafting options that could make you some money. That might be interesting for you.
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies.

OddballEasyEight
07.26.2014 , 03:22 AM | #8
To keep the rain off your face...

Seriously it's what you make of it.

Roleplayers will have tons and tons of fun with it (unless they are extremely stuck-up about not having free placement).

Personally I'll have some fun setting up my own house the way I want it, but then I'll use it like I use my ship... For handling mail, crafting, storage and all that.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

MWidowmaker
07.26.2014 , 11:32 PM | #9
a place where i can do stuff and not have to worry about gold spam. there will be things like vendors mailboxes gtn terminals, cargo bays, crafting droids etc
http://www.swtor.com/r/6m2C2S Free stuff, bandwagon referral link, click if you want

Darth_Wicked
07.26.2014 , 11:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MWidowmaker View Post
a place where i can do stuff and not have to worry about gold spam. there will be things like vendors mailboxes gtn terminals, cargo bays, crafting droids etc
Chat on Strongholds will NOT be instanced. The Chat you get to read is the one from the planets when Strongholds are located.

I guess it's safe to assume you'll be fine on Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa but Dromund Kaas and Coruscant?