Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High Guildship cost = No new guilds?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High Guildship cost = No new guilds?

Gnoblesse
07.27.2014 , 11:28 PM | #21
I think a lot of the fussing over the price of the ships could have been avoided if there was some sort of "guild alliance" option built into this system (ships and conquests.)

That way, people who are legitimately attached to their smaller guilds (maybe it is a bunch of real life friends) - could hook up with other similar guilds and work together to do this stuff. The prices, etc, would stay the same.

Maybe eventually they would want to merge with the guilds in the alliance - but they wouldn't be forced to.

Vis-Tecum
07.28.2014 , 12:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Gnoblesse View Post
I think a lot of the fussing over the price of the ships could have been avoided if there was some sort of "guild alliance" option built into this system (ships and conquests.)
totally agree with this and think it should have been developed right alongside capital ships because bioware Austin knew this response was going to happen, we all did

another idea that would silence both sides of the argument would be if guild capital ships were actually earned through the type of achievement tracks that were developed for planetary conquests but without the competition. set some arbitrary point cost and earn the ship that why. its not being handed to anyone, no one has to "donate" their hard earned personal credit supply for a GM toy, and players / guild members would be contributing / progressing by just logging in and doing what they do anyway, not just repeatedly grinding content they may not want to do for the fastest credits.

that way it would be hard, it would be earned, petty guilds could still stroke their epeen by getting it first, and it would feel like a guild accomplishment not just a guild purchase, it would also ease the hit to our credits and free up more for players to spend on strongholds instead of choosing between one or the other, since strongholds are personal and capital ships are ideally more community [with a dictator ] I am going to wait and see how much scamming, stealing, ect and how toxic the guild community becomes once this goes live
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave

slafko
07.28.2014 , 12:59 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Gnoblesse View Post
But then you'd have small guilds complaining how large guilds form even larger alliances that are pushing them to the side.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

slafko
07.28.2014 , 01:01 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Vis-Tecum View Post
I am going to wait and see how much scamming, stealing, ect and how toxic the guild community becomes once this goes live
Why would any of this happen?

Vis-Tecum
07.28.2014 , 01:57 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Why would any of this happen?
because whether its real life or in game people + money = drama

it should be no surprise people steal from guilds in game and GM's can get a power high and kick members over petty personal reasons. throw large sums of credits in to the mix and there are endless possibilities for a terrible player experience.

especially since guild drama is no concern of bioware [rightfully so] and if a gm quits it defaults to someone your once trusted guild you donated a ton of credits to for a maxed guild ship can quickly become a very toxic space and then you have to walk away from it all with nothing. also throw in the elite mentalities of certain core groups of players who feel that some aren't contributing enough regardless of if its justified and want x members or raid team 3 kicked out even though they have paid and contributed [yes it will happen]

there is just so much potential for d-baggery

Rafaman
07.28.2014 , 02:12 AM | #26
Nah, it won't translate into no new guilds. New guilds will have a more tangible thing to work towards. And raising 50 mil is not an insurmountable task. In fact, it can be pretty easy even for smaller guilds as long as they are diligent.

But... they have to work for it. And they have to be organized about it. And... it won't happen overnight. However, giving a guild a goal can be a great thing starting out. It can be something that galvanizes and brings a guild together if you have good leadership.

Vandicus
07.28.2014 , 02:53 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
If they are useable for my private strongholds, then I would leave with all my alts smaller guilds in which they are to join large guilds to get those as soon as possible. I think this will hurt smaller guild in general a lot, regardless how minor the bonuses will be.
The nodes put a 4-hour debuff on the player that keeps them from harvesting another stronghold node. Interestingly(didn't test it yet), it would appear you can gather a resource without having the requisite skill.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

AshenK
07.28.2014 , 03:15 AM | #28
Know what I normally like to troll the forums however I want to bring a few things up.

Really you guys are upset over 50 million? Think that's really bad? Lets go over some other MMO's. Age Of Conan, know how long it takes to get a Tier 3 Guild City? Or better yet the shear amount of work that go's into it? Let me sum it up, in AoC guild cities have a number of mats that need to be put into them. Now the Tier 1 and 2? Not so bad. Tier 3? It's not fun, more so hunting down mats is one of the most mind numbing things in AoC. Walk up to a node, click on it, maybe you get the mat or you get some 'rare' mat that just kills the node. More then likely you get jumped on by NPC miners, bandits, Pict's, and Bears.

Star Trek Online, really go talk to anyone who plays STO and ask about getting a Tier 5 Starbase going. And by the way before you jump up and down smaller guilds even Role Play guilds are able to get up to Tier 5. Or Tier 3 with the other buildings and the like. And by the way the Starbase and other buildings are how you get some of the better ground and space gear. More so it's how you get Fleet Ships that are better then the normal and C-Store ships.

And those are just the two I know and guess what? Well in the case of AoC we're looking at a game that has gone downhill from day one. In STO's case? Like I said smaller Fleet's (aka guilds) have been able to get those T5 Starbases going. My Fleet a RP Fleet has ours at T4 and are just a month or two away from hitting T5. Our Klingon guild has it at T3 right now.

What I'm trying to point out is this, if you want something in an MMO *gasp* you need to work for it. Other games have done it and sometimes they don't work out like AoC. Other times like STO? It gives the guild (Fleet in STO's case) something long term to work for and build up.

And I also want to point out that in the case with STO? New fleets are popping up all the time in STO. Just a couple of months ago a friend of mine started up a new Fleet after leaving his old Fleet on good terms. That Fleet he left had that big Tier 5 Starbase, more so then that? His old Fleet is also giving a bit of a helping hand with getting his Starbase up.

slafko
07.28.2014 , 03:26 AM | #29
I don't think anyone here is arguing against "work" (a.k.a. grind) in MMO's.

Vis-Tecum
07.28.2014 , 03:44 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AshenK View Post
Know what I normally like to troll the forums however I want to bring a few things up.

Really you guys are upset over 50 million? Think that's really bad? Lets go over some other MMO's.

Age Of Conan, know how long it takes to get a Tier 3 Guild City?
Star Trek Online, really go talk to anyone who plays STO and ask about getting a Tier 5 Starbase going. .
to be fair we are talking about a 50 mil buy in cost, max capital ship is rumored to be 120 mil + expensive mats + plans + drops from rare spawn world bosses, getting a max ship with buffs unlocked will not be a easy task

but 50 mill just to drop to enter content is a hefty price in real world gaming, some guilds are honest and helpful some are not, some are rich and some are not, some have a lot of players some don't. 1 - 5 mill dropped on basically a GM toy that we may lose or never see a benefit from is nothing small, its not impossible but its reasonable to question. especially with guild drama and people not contributing or unhappy about the planet choice when they donated more then the next guy.

if the buy in was low this would be less of a problem and if it was progression through content then the person would just have wasted their time not their credits, I am way more willing to spen 4 hours with a crappy pug and walk away with nothing then just pissing away my credits for nothing

the real question is what is biowares intent for these, is the base ship comparable to SM, 1st tier ranked, HM, top teir ranked [5%] or NIM [1%], if its HM its fine if its SM its too high if its NIM its not high enough.

I think a lot of people believe the initial buy in cost should be achievable for all guilds like SM and not HM where you will have to be organized and semi "hardcore" [I hate those terms] to do the content, just talking about the buy in cost here. the conquest content sounds more HM / top guilds on the server. I don't think anyone really wants this to be 1% only.

again this is all rumored info it is in no way a reference to info in another forum with a awesome user we are forever grateful for