Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Time For Bioware To Look At Some F2P Restrictions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is Time For Bioware To Look At Some F2P Restrictions

Goukakyuu's Avatar


Goukakyuu
06.25.2014 , 08:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Right, Bioware needs to improve the END GAME - right now, there's no reason to be a subscriber at all. That's why I said, Bioware needs to give them a reason to sub (ie content...FRESH content and fun content).

Letting your game stagnate, while still charging a sub fee, doesn't entice many people to stay subbed.
Sadly this game has been stagnating and diminishing in value and quality for quite some time now.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.25.2014 , 09:23 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
If they're not going to pay, they're already getting far, FAR more than they pay for. They don't need any more.

This game isn't a charity. The dozens of men and women who work hard to produce this game for us deserve to be paid for their efforts. F2P players are leeches. Parasites. Dregs of society. And they're even worse than that when they have the gall to demand even more stuff for free on top of all the stuff they already get for free.

WRT F2P restrictions, BW needs to add one. Limit chat to Guild, Party, and Operations only.
^^ nailed it.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
06.25.2014 , 09:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why such vehement hate for F2Pers? To classify them all with such hateful terms and descriptions is insulting.
It's accurate. They are consuming resources that others pay for. They are electing to gain value from the work others are doing while providing absolutely zero value in return. This, if taken too far, will eventually mean the game ends (if too many play for free and too few pay, EA will shut it down as not profitable.)

I believe that, in a business transaction, roughly equivalent value should flow in each direction. In this case, the person receiving entertainment value should provide financial compensation for that entertainment value. To continue to derive value from the work of others while offering nothing in return is exactly what I said it was.

Think of it this way... how would you feel and what would you do if the people who receive the value you produce by doing your job gave you a grand total of $0 for doing it?


Quote:
F2P simply gets them to TRY the game - it's up to Bioware to entice them to pay once they are in. Right now, there's nothing worth paying for!
I'm great with try before you buy. Love the concept. Not so great with "try" forever, never buy.

Giving away more of the stuff for free that people now have to pay for won't help with the "there's nothing worth paying for" problem. It only exacerbates it.


Quote:
And you're wrong about any of them "demanding" more. The person you obviously imply is "demanding" is the OP - and clearly he's a paying subscriber since he posted.
True enough, so why does he care, really?

Quote:
Apparently you missed the point of the thread as well, which was simply making a suggestion to IMPROVE the game for subscribers by removing some of the restrictions that slow down queues.
If subscribers want more people in queues, perhaps they should pay for subscriptions for those people. Or, better yet, buy a bunch of unlocks and offer them for free to F2P players!

Heck, they could make a guild full of leeches that they support financially if they wanted to. It would be glorious!

Oh, but wait, the persons wanting the free players to get more for free don't want to fund that themselves either, do they? They want EA to give that away for free, on their behalf. Oh, that's problematic, isn't it?


Quote:
Also, limiting chat because of a few gold spammers is moronic! You don't punish every potential paying customer simply because you refuse to police your own freaking chat in-game. Where the **** do our "REPORT SPAM" reports go? It's 2014...export the chat to a text file and email it to someone who can silence a player.
Limiting chat isn't "punishment'. Punishment would be rigging an electronic device into their keyboards that would deliver a painful jolt every time the F2P player did something detrimental to the enjoyment of paying customers.

If BioWare were wiling to take the second easiest step to filter the credit spammers, I wouldn't need to ask for the easiest step. Obviously they're unwilling because it's not done yet.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Grayseven's Avatar


Grayseven
06.25.2014 , 09:45 AM | #14
F2P restrictions need to be INCREASED. F2P should be a gateway to being a subscriber by allowing people a chance to try before they buy.

It should not be a play style. There is already an easy to use method by which F2P players can enjoy the game without any restriction. It involves 15 bucks a month which is less than a movie, small drink and small popcorn for far more enjoyment.
Sometimes you narfle the Garthok, sometimes the Garthok narfles you.

Goukakyuu's Avatar


Goukakyuu
06.25.2014 , 09:50 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
F2P restrictions need to be INCREASED. F2P should be a gateway to being a subscriber by allowing people a chance to try before they buy.

It should not be a play style. There is already an easy to use method by which F2P players can enjoy the game without any restriction. It involves 15 bucks a month which is less than a movie, small drink and small popcorn for far more enjoyment.
You say this, and yet, SWTOR is not really even worth the sub price...

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.25.2014 , 09:51 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
It's accurate. They are consuming resources that others pay for. They are electing to gain value from the work others are doing while providing absolutely zero value in return. This, if taken too far, will eventually mean the game ends (if too many play for free and too few pay, EA will shut it down as not profitable.)
If too few PAY, isn't that the fault of Bioware for not releasing enough quality content that people are willing to pay for?

My main issue with your stance is that you seem to fault the people who don't believe this game is worth a sub fee, for the game not being worth a sub fee...it's NOT their fault Bioware is slow as **** at releasing content. It's not their fault Bioware has let their game stagnate to to this point. You seem to blame the consumer for not viewing this game as worthy a sub fee when I see that as being ENTIRELY on Bioware.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I believe that, in a business transaction, roughly equivalent value should flow in each direction. In this case, the person receiving entertainment value should provide financial compensation for that entertainment value. To continue to derive value from the work of others while offering nothing in return is exactly what I said it was.
Flowing in each direction is right. Right now it seems to only be flowing from my checking account to Bioware's coffers. You act like F2Pers are logging in nightly and playing for hours on end, sucking up the server power lol...the ones I know, log in maybe twice a week for their ONE Operation and then go away for the rest of the week. They buy a few coins and get their weekly Ops pass...but that's all they do online.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Think of it this way... how would you feel and what would you do if the people who receive the value you produce by doing your job gave you a grand total of $0 for doing it?
If people stopped paying for my work (because most of us HAVE paid at some point) - I'd look at what "I" could do differently to get them to pay for it again.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
If subscribers want more people in queues, perhaps they should pay for subscriptions for those people. Or, better yet, buy a bunch of unlocks and offer them for free to F2P players!
How stupid would I have to be that I'd try to support Bioware's lack of effort? That's really the best idea you have? LOL
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
06.25.2014 , 10:03 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
If too few PAY, isn't that the fault of Bioware for not releasing enough quality content that people are willing to pay for?

My main issue with your stance is that you seem to fault the people who don't believe this game is worth a sub fee, for the game not being worth a sub fee...it's NOT their fault Bioware is slow as **** at releasing content. It's not their fault Bioware has let their game stagnate to to this point. You seem to blame the consumer for not viewing this game as worthy a sub fee when I see that as being ENTIRELY on Bioware.
You do not understand my point at all. Let me try again.

I fault people who CONTINUE TO PLAY THE GAME while PAYING NOTHING.

If the game was not worthwhile, people would try and LEAVE. But that is not what is happening. People are trying and STAYING and continuing to play for free.

That, to me and any rational observer, means that the game HAS ENTERTAINMENT VALUE. If it didn't, people wouldn't play it. They would try it, decide it sucks, and leave.

That they play it and don't return value to the publisher reinforces every dirty word I called them.


Quote:
Flowing in each direction is right. Right now it seems to only be flowing from my checking account to Bioware's coffers.
Yet if you truly found NO VALUE in the game, there is a very simple, 5-click (or so) solution right on this very web site to your bank account being drained of $15 every month, isn't there?

Why haven't you done that? Could it be that the game actually provides more entertainment value than your words suggest? The best way to find truth is to trust actions over words...


Quote:
You act like F2Pers are logging in nightly and playing for hours on end, sucking up the server power lol...the ones I know, log in maybe twice a week for their ONE Operation and then go away for the rest of the week. They buy a few coins and get their weekly Ops pass...but that's all they do online.
No, I act like F2P players are choosing to experience entertainment value without reciprocating. Once they buy cartel coins they're not F2P any more and they no longer apply to this discussion.

Quote:
If people stopped paying for my work (because most of us HAVE paid at some point) - I'd look at what "I" could do differently to get them to pay for it again.
How stupid would I have to be that I'd try to support Bioware's lack of effort? That's really the best idea you have? LOL
Why do you still pay your subscription if BioWare's "lack of effort" as you put it is so irritating to you?

Getting the people crying foul on behalf of the leeches to pay for the leeches is a damned good idea. Far better than those of us who don't really appreciate the leeches paying for them and far better than too many of them sucking the life-blood out of the game.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.25.2014 , 10:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
You do not understand my point at all. Let me try again.

I fault people who CONTINUE TO PLAY THE GAME while PAYING NOTHING.

If the game was not worthwhile, people would try and LEAVE. But that is not what is happening. People are trying and STAYING and continuing to play for free.

That, to me and any rational observer, means that the game HAS ENTERTAINMENT VALUE. If it didn't, people wouldn't play it. That they play it and don't return value to the publisher reinforces every dirty word I called them.


Yet if you truly found NO VALUE in the game, there is a very simple, 5-click (or so) solution to your bank account being drained of $15 every month, isn't there?

Why do you still pay your subscription if BioWare's "lack of effort" as you put it is so irritating to you?
Again, you are acting like these F2P folk are hanging around nightly, playing, having fun with guildies and talking **** on the forums all while sucking up valuable resources lol. They aren't...at the very best they're extremely casual players.

Yes, there is a way to stop them from receiving my $15 a month. I'm well aware of it too. And just because I don't believe what I've been receiving all of 2014 has been worth $15 a month, doesn't mean I find "no value" in my sub...but right now, it's grossly overpriced.

I pay my sub because when I have time to play, I enjoy doing so without restrictions. But maybe you're right...I'll evaluate the value of my sub because you're right....it is getting irritating.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
06.25.2014 , 10:25 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Again, you are acting like these F2P folk are hanging around nightly, playing, having fun with guildies and talking **** on the forums all while sucking up valuable resources lol. They aren't...at the very best they're extremely casual players.
How is it that you cannot comprehend that my issue is with electing to receive value you don't pay for and not with the resources they consume?

How many times and how many different ways do I have to re-state it to get you to understand the concept?


Quote:
Yes, there is a way to stop them from receiving my $15 a month. I'm well aware of it too. And just because I don't believe what I've been receiving all of 2014 has been worth $15 a month, doesn't mean I find "no value" in my sub...but right now, it's grossly overpriced.
There's a solution for that, too. It takes a few more clicks but you can pretty easily pay for the things you find valuable and opt out of doing and paying for the things you don't, right?

Quote:
I pay my sub because when I have time to play, I enjoy doing so without restrictions. But maybe you're right...I'll evaluate the value of my sub because you're right....it is getting irritating.
What you said there is that you pay your sub because you do find entertainment value in the game, which is what I expected. If you didn't find entertainment value in the game, you would find something that was entertaining to do in your free time.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

mustopak's Avatar


mustopak
06.25.2014 , 10:29 AM | #20
yawn.. this again? threads about F2P restrictions never ends well. I say F2P is already good with the restrictions and there is no need to further reduce the restriction IMO. I only sneak in my bro's account to post on forums

- fellow f2p who is constantly being bashed
Raid Leader <The Ex-Dalborran Elitist>
Tired of carrying bads thru new GF changes.
--> My Drawings <--