Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Execute abilities and the old "high damage attacks on stunned targets".

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Execute abilities and the old "high damage attacks on stunned targets".

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.24.2014 , 11:08 PM | #1
Hello everyone,

I'm here to talk about Execute abilities like Vicious Throw, Assassinate, and Dispatch.

Why dont all classes have them? It seems un-fair for classes that dont have them, like for instance Operatives, to not have them. and also lore wise, it would make sense for an Operative to have a takedown like ability... and ill use another example, Powertechs they are the ONLY tank Class to NOT have an Execute, why? Sorcs and Mercs i can see them not having an Execute type ability, because they are healers also, and ranged DPS, and Sorcs are inherently HIGH dps, so i can see why Sorcs and Mercs dont have them, but i see no reason for them to not have them other than insanely high damage.

On to the second point about the old abilities like Headshot, Evicerate, Tumult, etc. Why were those removed? They added skill, and challenge to PvP by allowing good players who knew when to use their Hardstuns right to get extra damage out of it, and in Dailies it allowed you to more easily kill trash mobs, i see NO reason for their removal, the easy way to get out of them, is to avoid the CC in the first place... So, they arent inherenly OP, they just add more challenge to PvP.

Just my 2 cents on some things i have been thinking of over the past week or so.

Adaliaya's Avatar


Adaliaya
04.25.2014 , 12:00 AM | #2
I think most classes have either.
JKs have execute. Shadows have execute. Troopers have high damage on stunned ability.
Gunslingers have execute etc...
And those classes that do not have either have propably other benefits. Like Sages have armor-ignoring damage, and so do Scoundrels.

af_raptura's Avatar


af_raptura
04.25.2014 , 12:38 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post

On to the second point about the old abilities like Headshot, Evicerate, Tumult, etc. Why were those removed? They added skill, and challenge to PvP by allowing good players who knew when to use their Hardstuns right to get extra damage out of it, and in Dailies it allowed you to more easily kill trash mobs, i see NO reason for their removal, the easy way to get out of them, is to avoid the CC in the first place... So, they arent inherenly OP, they just add more challenge to PvP.
I remember the abilities you are discussing, but that is simply not true. Those were not allowed to be used on players.

As for why not everyone has an execute, to keep some semblance of variety.
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

slafko's Avatar


slafko
04.25.2014 , 04:17 AM | #4
My Shadow is still in therapy because of Tumult removal.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.25.2014 , 07:14 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by af_raptura View Post
I remember the abilities you are discussing, but that is simply not true. Those were not allowed to be used on players.

As for why not everyone has an execute, to keep some semblance of variety.
I swear to god i used them on people in PvP... Either way, they should be re-implemented and able to be used on people in PvP, it would add challenge to both regular PvP and Arenas.

Quote: Originally Posted by Adaliaya View Post
I think most classes have either.
JKs have execute. Shadows have execute. Troopers have high damage on stunned ability.
Gunslingers have execute etc...
And those classes that do not have either have propably other benefits. Like Sages have armor-ignoring damage, and so do Scoundrels.
There's only 4 classes with Executes.

Sith Jugg/Mara, Sniper, and Sin. That's it. 2 of those are Tank classes. High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot does not count, because it also can be used on targets with DoT's, i am talking about abilities like Headshot and Evicerate which worked ONLY on stunned targets, i remember when on my operative i would knock things down with Hidden Strike and then Evicerate them and they would die in 2 hits... those were the good old days... and i want them back... and i want a blasted Execute on my Operative for christ sake! and my PT Tank!

Memo-'s Avatar


Memo-
04.25.2014 , 09:22 AM | #6
They were removed to ease the ability-clutter most classes face. And their use was fairly limited after all, leveling being the main target. Some adds or mobs in operations could maybe be targeted with them, but then you would have to assume a boss-rotation and an add-rotation, and that would make things overly complicated.

As for executes, Operatives sure as hell don't need one since they are already the top dps in the game. Powertechs would benefit from such ability at the moment, though, since their DPS is a bit lackluster.
Sakkó | Faris | Maliris | Sopraano<Reilukerho>Bas'so | Väli | Rai'chu | Jauhe
Delarah | Stilva | Luccia | Ethawn<Lice-Ridden Banthas>Tenori | Baritoni | Weimar | Altto
   The Lihavuori LegacyTomb of Freedon Nadd

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.25.2014 , 11:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Memo- View Post
They were removed to ease the ability-clutter most classes face. And their use was fairly limited after all, leveling being the main target. Some adds or mobs in operations could maybe be targeted with them, but then you would have to assume a boss-rotation and an add-rotation, and that would make things overly complicated.

As for executes, Operatives sure as hell don't need one since they are already the top dps in the game. Powertechs would benefit from such ability at the moment, though, since their DPS is a bit lackluster.
But, Operatives are a class that's designed to single out 1 target at a time and kill them, so an Execute would make sense... I've always felt kinda empty without one, and feel less like a Stealther. And Operatives especially concealment need one, because in PvP their DPS is pretty close to ****. because A. CONCEALMENT NEEDS THE KNOCKDOWN ON HIDDEN STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! and B. Lethality already sucks in PvP. and an Execute helps. IDGAF if they are "top DPS" Buff the other classes UP to Operatives! It makes more sense than nerfing the already HIGHLY gimped Operatives.

EDIT- fights with adds already call for 2 rotations a Single Target rotation, and an AOE rotation.

Cotlu-Hunlon's Avatar


Cotlu-Hunlon
04.25.2014 , 12:57 PM | #8
Operatives execute is in the form of increased DoT damage on targets with under 30% health (Lethality only).

Powertechs have the same in the Pyrotech tree for their DoTs.

Commando doesn't need an execute because we're awesome

Sages don't have an execute but they really should thinking about it. Similar to Sniper/GS Takedown. I can imagine what abilities they would get: another purple zapper for Sorcs and hopefully Sages would get Ashara Zavros' Force Burst ability.

The Nostalgia Thread - Come live in December 2011 with me

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
04.25.2014 , 01:23 PM | #9
Sins get an execute AND higher damage on stunned targets
Medïvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
Dïomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

af_raptura's Avatar


af_raptura
04.25.2014 , 03:18 PM | #10
I think Eric Musco said shortly after their removal that the dev team wanted to bring back the moves, or at the very least the animations in some way, but not exactly the same way that they were implemented before.
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.