Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Guardian Solo Questing Build???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Jedi Guardian Solo Questing Build???

Dark_Lord_Corvus
03.29.2014 , 05:26 PM | #1
I have no idea whether going up the vigilance tree or defence tree would be more beneficial for solo questing, I don't know how hard vigilance is to play or whether defence is easy to play but slow with damage or something.
Any help would be appreciated.

Essence_of_Light
03.29.2014 , 05:46 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Corvus View Post
I have no idea whether going up the vigilance tree or defence tree would be more beneficial for solo questing, I don't know how hard vigilance is to play or whether defence is easy to play but slow with damage or something.
Any help would be appreciated.
Defense it tanking, and the other 2 trees are DPS. As you're leveling up, any tree is fine to play as, really. When you reach endgame (55); thats when you might find it preferable to play as one or the other (depending on what/if you're doing endgame PvE/PvP and what playstyle you enjoy more).
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Dark_Lord_Corvus
03.29.2014 , 05:47 PM | #3
I will be doing more PvE as I am doing planetary quests, but I don't know if survivability or damage is more important?

Essence_of_Light
03.29.2014 , 06:05 PM | #4
I will be doing more PvE as I am doing planetary quests, but I don't know is survivability or damage is more important?
Tanking (defense) is a tree that has you focus on absorbing damage and being able to survive for as long as you need. DPS (the other 2 trees) is for dealing as much damage as you can, as fast as you can.

Tank = High health, high in defense; low-medium damage, slow damage output

Dps = High damage, fast-medium damage output; medium health, low in defense

Depending on your playstyle (do you enjoy killing enemies fast, and doing damage or absorbing damage, and being in the frontlines more?) you might find one more enjoyable than the other.

Universally, if you are new to the game or not feeling up for the challenge of Tanking, DPS is the easiest and most wide-spread option out there. If you have been playing SWTOR for a while or have previous experiences with MMOs, Tanking might provide a fun challenge, and be fun for you.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Dark_Lord_Corvus
03.29.2014 , 06:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Tanking (defense) is a tree that has you focus on absorbing damage and being able to survive for as long as you need. DPS (the other 2 trees) is for dealing as much damage as you can, as fast as you can.

Tank = High health, high in defense; low-medium damage, slow damage output

Dps = High damage, fast-medium damage output; medium health, low in defense

Depending on your playstyle (do you enjoy killing enemies fast, and doing damage or absorbing damage, and being in the frontlines more?) you might find one more enjoyable than the other.

Here are some more tips: Universally, if you are new to the game, DPS is the easiest and most wide-spread option out there. If you have been playing SWTOR for a while or have previous experiences with MMOs, Tanking might provide a fun challenge, and be fun for you.
Are Jedi Guardians accepted as DPS, I've seen some dislike for them when I was browsing the forums: "there is nothing worse then getting a Athiss group up only to find out the Guardian is DPS spec.. waste of a slot"

Nero-Star
03.29.2014 , 06:08 PM | #6
For my main, im a tank guardian using def-tree, great for soloing, your second companion is pure dps and makes up for your lower damage, when you get your healer companion alot of the planets can be done without many problems if you and your companion is geared well, you will still need help for most heroic quests and the area quests you get.

Dark_Lord_Corvus
03.29.2014 , 06:11 PM | #7
Is this build good for solo questing?
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500GMRrddMordGzZfMM.3

toha
03.29.2014 , 09:17 PM | #8
Is this build good for solo questing?
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500GMRrddMordGzZfMM.3
At a glance? yeah.(don't really have the time nor the experience tanking to judge beyond that)
Pretty much any build is ok for solo questing.
This is however a tanking spec and tanking can be a challenge for new player, as stated by the others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Nobody wants your scams.

And if you spent your time doing this, then you are a fool. Shoo, shoo. Get lost.

Jedi_riches
03.30.2014 , 12:20 AM | #9
I think the ease of soloing will come down to what companion you choose to use, as t7 is a tank so you would be better to DPS, but kira is DPS only and I have found it can be a bit hairy using 2 DPS as it's a race to kill all mobs before you both die and if you don't you will have to heal up after pretty much every fight.

Personally since I decided to run with kira I went for the tank route. As for guides check the individual class sections there are some good guides, particularly the ones for Dulfy (or known as iwipe on here)

Gidrea
03.30.2014 , 01:24 AM | #10
Use the middle tree and run with T7 until you get Doc.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!