Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female Romance Options

BrainSplatter
02.23.2012 , 11:50 AM | #301
Quote: Originally Posted by zoomcat View Post
Agreed, Vasdenjas. I've frequently wondered if BioWare has any females working on the romance storylines. I was hoping SWTOR would break the trend set in ME1-2/DA1 of two-dimensional, male-ego-centered romance conversation options.
They had female writers for Dragon Age: Origins, and presumably they have female writers for the Mass Effect series. Wouldn't consider Morrigan a 'male-ego-centered' romance unless you're the hit it & leave it type. Alistair was just as much as a suck-up to female characters though.
Glorious Collector's Edition owner, lording it over all the other plebs.

Beeska mu-moolee bu Halapu. Ho-ho-ho-ho!

Cythereal
02.23.2012 , 11:53 AM | #302
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainSplatter View Post
They had female writers for Dragon Age: Origins, and presumably they have female writers for the Mass Effect series. Wouldn't consider Morrigan a 'male-ego-centered' romance unless you're the hit it & leave it type. Alistair was just as much as a suck-up to female characters though.
One of the developers said that the Inquisitor's story was written by a woman, if nothing else.

BrainSplatter
02.23.2012 , 11:56 AM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
One of the developers said that the Inquisitor's story was written by a woman, if nothing else.
I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor myself atm and I quite like it.
Glorious Collector's Edition owner, lording it over all the other plebs.

Beeska mu-moolee bu Halapu. Ho-ho-ho-ho!

LyriaFrost
02.23.2012 , 12:09 PM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
I think the smuggler story was written by a woman too, if I recall correctly.

I need to play my smuggler more. I love the one-liners she has.
Weave maid such progress, but knot without accost. In deed, won wonders weather two take a fence. Each thyme oui real lion a computer, wheel ooze a bit of hours elves. Two much technology may knot bee sew suite, and we joust can't real eye two much on spell Czech. Sea the problem hear?

SableRhapsody
02.23.2012 , 12:57 PM | #305
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainSplatter View Post
Yeah, there's usually fanservice for everyone in BioWare games, male and female. Not necessarily the kind that everyone likes (here's looking at you, Jacob Taylor), but hey, you can't please all your customers.

In addition, the gender of the writer doesn't necessarily determine the popularity of the romance or the degree of connection among the fanbase. A lot of BioWare's most popular female romances were written by David Gaider; last I checked, he was a dude
Fear is the mind-killer.

Rhaethe
02.23.2012 , 01:02 PM | #306
Quote: Originally Posted by LyriaFrost View Post
Not true.

Male smugglers get two romanceable companions.
So do male agents.
So do male sith warriors.

Female inquisitors have two romanceable companions.
So do female sith warriors.

Sith definitely got the better deal out of all the classes...

Female SW get one romanceable companion, not two.

Spoiler

LyriaFrost
02.23.2012 , 01:15 PM | #307
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
Female SW get one romanceable companion, not two.

Spoiler
Well bah, then. Like I said, I was going by the wiki, which lists two romanceable companions for both the inquis and warrior. That's pretty crazy, then, that male characters have three classes with multiple romance options, and females get no options?

Grr.

Weave maid such progress, but knot without accost. In deed, won wonders weather two take a fence. Each thyme oui real lion a computer, wheel ooze a bit of hours elves. Two much technology may knot bee sew suite, and we joust can't real eye two much on spell Czech. Sea the problem hear?

grania
02.23.2012 , 01:21 PM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by LyriaFrost View Post
Well bah, then. Like I said, I was going by the wiki, which lists two romanceable companions for both the inquis and warrior. That's pretty crazy, then, that male characters have three classes with multiple romance options, and females get no options?

Grr.

I find the whole thing curious; I wish I could pick the various writers brains on how the class stories (or from the male or female perspective) ended up so varied in terms of romance/ flirtatious content
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--

Phyreblade
02.23.2012 , 01:52 PM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirandel View Post
I am surprised how many girls here said the like Malavai Quinn. I personally took that romance choice as an insult to women. For me it's like dating a protocol droid, worse actually. He is not a man by any means. The slave that greets you (as Warrior) in the spaceport first time you come to the capital has more character then Quinn. Even if you are all for domination and be the "the man in the house" - there is nothing to dominate here. Argh...

Honestly I begin to think all these talks about "adorable sweet Malavai Quinn" and "misogynist Tharan" is only a fear of public admitting that girls do like men with character rather then a slave for service.

But if it is true and all those girls are honest... guess we have to have 2 options for every class - one for "slave-lovers" and one for those who prefer equal relationship.
And to me, Quinn is the perfect example of an Imperial officer. This isn't a world where a military officer can truly be a Patton-esque figure. If these guys wise-cracked or otherwise smart-a**ed a Sith, they're at the very least ruined career-wise. More often, the Sith they shot their mouths off to would be the Sith who stuck a lightsaber in their stomach.

No, a truly successful Imperial officer is one who's capable, intelligent, political-minded, methodical and careful. He manuevers well, at all times, whether it's in a fight or in his personal relationships. Quinn succeeds. Even the action that saw him effectively grounded on Balmorra demonstrated his sheer capability to succeed. It was the pitiful failings of an incompetent superior that held him back, not anything he himself did.

Quinn is a perfect foil for a female Sith warrior. My warrior walked into a room to see Quinn berating a Soldier who'd failed at a task and was instantly attracted. She saw in him a worthy partner, someone who would help propel her forward, not hold her back, who's abilities would shine but not overwhelm her own. It's easy to dismiss Quinn as a weak-willed character, if you're only stopping at the most superficial. In fact, he was strong enough to fight for his place, to not let the intransience of a maddened admiral ruin him, to see the best possible chance of getting out from under that travail and ultimately succeed. That incredible strength of character and will and personality is what I think makes my warrior run to grab him for her own. And ultimately fall head over heels for him.

And there's just something about watching them run around together, to boot. My warrior is a dark-haired, dark-eyed human. They just look dang good standing close together.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel Duncan, Sawbones Scoundrel
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

DuchessOfDork
02.23.2012 , 02:31 PM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
Quinn is a perfect foil for a female Sith warrior.
I dissagree. Being a Juggernaut, I'd break him.

Pierce. Pierce is a man you can sink your teeth into, and he'd probably really like it. He's like an Australian Vin Diesel. @_@