Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

***SPOILERS*** Quinn's Betrayal (AKA Quinn, you ****!)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
***SPOILERS*** Quinn's Betrayal (AKA Quinn, you ****!)

Nerdymidgetkid's Avatar


Nerdymidgetkid
03.23.2014 , 04:11 AM | #1
I've recently reached Corellia, and I have to say I am VERY disappointed. Let me just say, my warrior is light side. He's generally merciful, exempting people who are evil gits. He's considerate and thoughtful. And with all of this in mind,

I STILL wanted to murder that bastard.

He tries to kill you, and you get three options. You can say that he's still useful. You can say "it's alright, I understand." Or you can choke him. Then, with him still alive, Bioware tries to make you THINK you have another three options, but either way, you don't even get to TELL people that he tried to murder you! You don't get to discharge him from your service, or change the situation in any way! It's like after writing the main story, somebody decided that the voss ghost guy saying "you'll be betrayed" would be a cool line, and then they rushed to try and make it work but weren't really able to allow the whole affair to make any difference whatsoever.

Like I said, I was completely willing to choke him to death then and there, even though he was my most used comp. Heck, give me some generic droid healer replacement with no story or dialogue, but let me actually have a CHOICE. I can only imagine how all the darkside players felt, considering I am almost always merciful. Does anyone agree with me here?

rashencyberspeed's Avatar


rashencyberspeed
03.23.2014 , 10:31 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdymidgetkid View Post
I've recently reached Corellia, and I have to say I am VERY disappointed. Let me just say, my warrior is light side. He's generally merciful, exempting people who are evil gits. He's considerate and thoughtful. And with all of this in mind,

I STILL wanted to murder that bastard.

He tries to kill you, and you get three options. You can say that he's still useful. You can say "it's alright, I understand." Or you can choke him. Then, with him still alive, Bioware tries to make you THINK you have another three options, but either way, you don't even get to TELL people that he tried to murder you! You don't get to discharge him from your service, or change the situation in any way! It's like after writing the main story, somebody decided that the voss ghost guy saying "you'll be betrayed" would be a cool line, and then they rushed to try and make it work but weren't really able to allow the whole affair to make any difference whatsoever.

Like I said, I was completely willing to choke him to death then and there, even though he was my most used comp. Heck, give me some generic droid healer replacement with no story or dialogue, but let me actually have a CHOICE. I can only imagine how all the darkside players felt, considering I am almost always merciful. Does anyone agree with me here?
There IS a lot of people who would agree. In fact, during the early versions of the game, back during testing, you actually COULD kill him.

But the problem is, the players kept screaming and complaining about losing their healing companion forever. BioWare eventually got sick of it and removed the ability to kill companions. To be honest, since you say that Quinn was your most used companion, I heavily suspect that if you DID kill him, you would come to regret it and kick yourself over it forever.

Kaedusz's Avatar


Kaedusz
03.23.2014 , 12:15 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
and removed the ability to kill companions.
I as a Juggernaut(my main) find this ridiculous.They could have replaced Quinn with a random generic guy,with the same abilities as Quinn.He would be silent with the exception of random generic comments,similar to the ship droid.
They could have done the same for all classes, in case you wanted to kill someone along the way.

But then again... people would whine because they would miss the original companion's personality.

With that said, i don't think would have killed him,despite my dark side affiliations.Torture-yes.

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
03.23.2014 , 01:15 PM | #4
Not for nothing, but there is a "Spoilers" section of the forum... 95% of forum readers probably know about this particular twist, but still.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
They could have replaced Quinn with a random generic guy,with the same abilities as Quinn.He would be silent with the exception of random generic comments,similar to the ship droid.
They could have done the same for all classes, in case you wanted to kill someone along the way.
I completely agree, I wish they had gone that route instead of removing it altogether.

My guess is it was a decision made really late in the development cycle after they got all the "I killed my only healer!" feedback, so the only change they had time to make before launch was to remove the option.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Nerdymidgetkid's Avatar


Nerdymidgetkid
03.24.2014 , 12:07 AM | #5
Yeah, I suppose. But how hard is it to give you a generic droid? They could have even just used the same model as the ship's droid and just given him new abilities.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
03.25.2014 , 05:53 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdymidgetkid View Post
I've recently reached Corellia, and I have to say I am VERY disappointed. Let me just say, my warrior is light side. He's generally merciful, exempting people who are evil gits. He's considerate and thoughtful. And with all of this in mind,

I STILL wanted to murder that bastard.

He tries to kill you, and you get three options. You can say that he's still useful. You can say "it's alright, I understand." Or you can choke him. Then, with him still alive, Bioware tries to make you THINK you have another three options, but either way, you don't even get to TELL people that he tried to murder you! You don't get to discharge him from your service, or change the situation in any way! It's like after writing the main story, somebody decided that the voss ghost guy saying "you'll be betrayed" would be a cool line, and then they rushed to try and make it work but weren't really able to allow the whole affair to make any difference whatsoever.

Like I said, I was completely willing to choke him to death then and there, even though he was my most used comp. Heck, give me some generic droid healer replacement with no story or dialogue, but let me actually have a CHOICE. I can only imagine how all the darkside players felt, considering I am almost always merciful. Does anyone agree with me here?
I knew about his betrayal before starting the Warrior story line and that they removed the ability to kill him, so it became super obvious when going through the dialogue options and the cutscene where they altered things, ie "Oh this must have been the part where I could've killed him had that option still been possible."

Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
There IS a lot of people who would agree. In fact, during the early versions of the game, back during testing, you actually COULD kill him.

But the problem is, the players kept screaming and complaining about losing their healing companion forever. BioWare eventually got sick of it and removed the ability to kill companions. To be honest, since you say that Quinn was your most used companion, I heavily suspect that if you DID kill him, you would come to regret it and kick yourself over it forever.
It's actually even more disappointing than all of that.

Not only could you kill Quinn off, but during the closed beta there were Companion Kits that allowed you to assign class roles to your companions. For instance if you wanted Vette to be your healer, she could be.

So, had they left it alone not only would you have been able to kill Quinn but you wouldn't have needed a replacement either.

The Companion Kit thing is one of (if not) the most annoying thing they cut from the game because it allowed you to role around with what companion you actually liked the best while also having them fulfill whatever role best suited your class. Just imagine how many less Quinns you would've seen on Fleet or wherever else had they left things as is.

I guess there is something to be said for him being the only romance option for female characters though, although that wouldn't have been a problem had they included same gender romances.

eldefail's Avatar


eldefail
03.26.2014 , 09:31 PM | #7
I agree. I'd have liked to jettison Quinn out the airlock.

I didn't know about the companion kits, but I think the biggest reason they haven't put them back in and made companions killable again is because of crew skill perks. Of course a simple solution would be to replace any killed/declined companions with ship droids or generic NPCs that had the same crew skill bonuses as the companions they replaced. But if you think about it, that's not exactly a tiny bit of work, and may in fact be a lot more work than we realize.

Anyone who's played World of Warcraft understands the default backpack problem and why it cannot simply be removed or even replaced--it's tainted half the game code and would actually be an enormous undertaking to alter on any significant level. Companions being killable AND replaceable AND kits to re-assign companion combat roles might be carelessly buried in so much game code that it isn't a quick fix, and may in fact be a long, drawn out, and expensive fix.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I do agree not only with Quinn, but with most companions in general. Once upon a time you could get rid of companions and when they changed that it was a quick and dirty sort of thing (which is partly why I mentioned it could possibly be tainting God knows how much game code) to provide instant appeasement.

I would like it if they would at least include a few final conversations with Quinn that allow you to either reconcile or torment him. I looked at it this way, though. I was forced to keep him alive by game mechanics, therefore I figure a guy like my Warrior kept him alive because he's useful and now owes my warrior not only his career, but his LIFE. Quinn'll be in my pocket until one of us dies, whether he likes it or not.

Ainhin's Avatar


Ainhin
03.28.2014 , 11:25 AM | #8
Word to the wise, marking the thread "SPOILERS" doesn't help much when you put the spoiler in the title itself. So yeah I just got my Sith Warrior storyline spoiled, thanks.

DarkLordIceman's Avatar


DarkLordIceman
03.31.2014 , 11:54 AM | #9
What I would have done if I was Bioware was left in the option to kill him but add an additional scene where he shows back up on Corellia barely surviving your attack and wanting to repent, or even just have him rejoin you after Baras is defeated I mean
Spoiler
so why can't the Warrior do it without Quinn

thomasbaxter's Avatar


thomasbaxter
04.01.2014 , 08:00 AM | #10
<<Word to the wise, marking the thread "SPOILERS" doesn't help much when you put the spoiler in the title itself. So yeah I just got my Sith Warrior storyline spoiled, thanks. >>

Lol yeh thought that was a bit of an oopsie daisy myself