Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will TESO / ESO kill this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Will TESO / ESO kill this game?

Ginwtf
03.04.2014 , 12:58 PM | #1
As said by the title, im concerned if TESO / ESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) will have a big effect on the player count of this game. For me, I dont like playing a game that im unsure about if it's going to lose a solid 50-75% of its Player Base. So I would like to ask the Community out there if you are going to leave SWTOR any time soon because of upcoming games like TESO or Wildstar AND what you think about this topic.

Cheers

MyaDragon
03.04.2014 , 07:57 PM | #2
Lovey, we might see a drop when people go to investigate ESO and see if it's worth playing or not. It typically happens when something new pops up.

Yet:
Some might stay without even considering ESO.
Some might say goodbye and leave for good.
Some might say goodbye but come back after a length of time.

It generally depends on the person in question. As for it being an "MMO Killer", that is one opinion that's really up in the air at this point. A lot of fans point fingers at MMOs and say "So and So will destroy this game when it's released".
My opinion, personally? SWTOR has kept on trucking for a good two years. I think it's still got some life left in it no matter what another fanbase says. ^.~

theUndead
03.04.2014 , 08:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ginwtf View Post
As said by the title, im concerned if TESO / ESO (The Elder Scrolls Online) will have a big effect on the player count of this game. For me, I dont like playing a game that im unsure about if it's going to lose a solid 50-75% of its Player Base. So I would like to ask the Community out there if you are going to leave SWTOR any time soon because of upcoming games like TESO or Wildstar AND what you think about this topic.

Cheers
This game has NOTHING to worry about in terms of ESO. The game will have its dedicated fans just like this but it will not really dent this game too much. However, Wildstar will have more of a effect.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeweledleah
03.04.2014 , 08:15 PM | #4
I think this topic is new and exciting (that was sarcasm btw)

will ESO "kill" SWTOR? no. its a different sort of game. will some people move on to it? yes. will some people keep playing TOR? yes.

for me, SWTOR will remain my primary MMO. I don't know for how long, other than.. as long as I keep enjoying it. I may let my subscription lapse, I may not. time will tell. but I'm not done with this game by far.

that doesn't mean I won't try out other games, MMO's or otherwise. becasue i like variety. becasue variety is fun. because there's room in this market for multiple MMO's and more often than not - there's room in people's hearts for more than one game. I think ESO is going to be a fun game for a lot of different people. it will be successful by some definitions, failure by others . for some people - a game is a failure if it doesn't reach milestones it never meant to reach in a first place, but in their opinion - should. SWTOR is also a failure by that definition. do I care? nope. does it still keep making money for its developers? sure seems that way. do people still play and enjoy it? yep. are we getting new content, improvements, etc? yes. maybe not as fast as people would prefer, but we're getting them.

so there you have it.

the only people who can genuinely kill this game? are bioware and/or DIsney/lucas arts

PokeSaro
03.04.2014 , 08:16 PM | #5
From what i heard TESO will be a ''fail''. yes it will have players. nad yes maybe we will loose players because of it. but i dont really think that it would take so many that it would effect your experience

Vigilanis
03.05.2014 , 07:52 AM | #6
In a word...no, that is built on the fantasy genre...this is Star Wars...anything has the title Star Wars on it is always going to have droves of fans religiously addicted to it, part of the magic of Lucas's creation. I am sure some will wander off and have a look, but the majority will come back when they realise they do not have Lightsabers in Elder Scrolls
The Legend of Vigi
The Sunrider Legacy

darthscotty
03.05.2014 , 11:05 AM | #7
In a word NO.

I played the ESO beta a few weeks back and I hated, and I have heard that from several people who played in that same beta. The character creator is awesome,no denying that. However, after that the game falls apart for me anyway. Not worth a subscription. I predict it will be free to play within 6 - 12 months. It will launch to huge numbers and then quickly fall off. It will have its hardcore player base, but the compromises they had to make to make it playable on the playstation and xbox are just to much to stomache for me. They compromised the gaming experience to put it on playstation and xbox. The game is simply not what people think it is going to be.

As for Wildstar, the jury is still out on that one I have not played it seen gameplay footage of it or really looked into it so I cannot really say much about that one.
Quote: Originally Posted by Babby View Post
We don't tolerate facts around here.

OddballEasyEight
03.05.2014 , 11:15 AM | #8
No, not even a little.
Most of the people who are "still here" are here because of Star Wars.

People looking for "the next best MMO" is not going to love ESO either since, just like SW:TOR, it tries to set a sort of middleground to lure in both single player people and MMO people.

But the MMO purists (the ones that only love MMO's) will most likely stick with whatever their favourite MMO is (for most of them its still WoW).

Personally, I pre-ordered ESO despite not falling in love with it.
I'll just use my free month of gaming to play it as a single player game and then I'll leave it until it goes F2P (which it will, and the amount of moneygrabbing done by the devs with pre-order bonuses and such makes me believe that the devs actually know it will go F2P sooner or later.)
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

OddballEasyEight
03.05.2014 , 11:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by darthscotty View Post
In a word NO.

I played the ESO beta a few weeks back and I hated, and I have heard that from several people who played in that same beta. The character creator is awesome,no denying that. However, after that the game falls apart for me anyway. Not worth a subscription. I predict it will be free to play within 6 - 12 months. It will launch to huge numbers and then quickly fall off. It will have its hardcore player base, but the compromises they had to make to make it playable on the playstation and xbox are just to much to stomache for me. They compromised the gaming experience to put it on playstation and xbox. The game is simply not what people think it is going to be.

As for Wildstar, the jury is still out on that one I have not played it seen gameplay footage of it or really looked into it so I cannot really say much about that one.
It's interesting that I hear mainly 3 versions of why people don't like ESO.
One is the one you have (and it's the one given by most MMO players) and that is that it has been "dumbed down" for the consoles.
The second one is that it isn't enough like the single player versions of TES (mainly skyrim) and that it is "too much like an MMO".
The third one is that it Is too focused on PvP at the end-game.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

TrueJustice
03.05.2014 , 11:28 AM | #10
I was playing TES Online Beta and at times turned it off to go back to SWTOR...Doubt it will have to much effect at first because they are charging to much to play TES