Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

But how the hell they do this ? (Blizzard and WOW)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
But how the hell they do this ? (Blizzard and WOW)

Pistols
02.07.2014 , 01:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
I tried again to play tonight, with less than stellaer results....(long queue for a pathetic group)

And today, Blizzard announced that WOW have gained subs during the last quarter. 200 000 subs. Sure you can rightly say ''meh, those are chinese subs that does not count'....

But the thing is, WOW have gained 200 000 subs without content since september while we are probably around 250 k subs total with new content....

Let's scream ''go back to the Pandas'' to your heart content. Once again, my point is that Blizzard is obviously doing something ''right'' at one point...
Blizzard has competent coders and development....big difference.

DataBeaver
02.07.2014 , 02:32 AM | #22
These days, WoW is considered to be the "original" MMORPG (I know it's not really, but it's pretty old and has a lot of visibility) others are compared against. If another MMORPG is missing a feature WoW has, it gets huge negative points. Any novel features (like, say, fully voiced storylines with immersive cutscenes and conversations) are so few and far between that they can hardly offset the lack of established features, and are often belittled as unimportant anyway. A new player deciding which MMORPG to play will see lots of "it's lacking X" and "it doesn't even have Y" in reviews and forums, and will go to WoW because it has those things.

I think the poor performance of many MMORPGs are at least partially the fault of the community's negativity towards anything that isn't WoW.

Latherfal
02.07.2014 , 02:32 AM | #23
Players are impatient waiting for the largest western MMO to start to crash and burn.

With the past subscription of players they are more than likely to gain more people who resub at a larger amount than say, this game which has a smaller player base. Gaining 200k and losing 4million is not a positive. The fact that they mention they gain 200k (if they did and I am assuming some article or press release said such) when their subs are in the millions is not such a good sign either.

Gidew
02.07.2014 , 04:20 AM | #24
Who the Hell cares about WOW, SWTOR has lightsabers /thread
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓}▤██▤{▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Erasimus
02.07.2014 , 04:35 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ren_simp View Post
I recently restarted my wow sub and even bought mist of pandaria After a 2year break I'll probably always play it every now and then the pvp is still fun, but even so I waited close 20 mins for a battle ground to pop the other day
So even with all their server tech the queue time aren't what they were 2 years ago, I left that game and it was insta pops .
I'm still finding swtor pvp to be more fun and the combat animations are a lot nicer visually
Just need an alterac valley type wz and well be good
It depends on your battle group and faction. On my Alliance characters BGs during prime pop in 20 to 45 seconds. On my Horde toons it is sometimes 5 minutes. It would probably be worse during off hours for horde. If you use the OQueue addon you can easily find cross realm honor farming or join some rated BGs or Arenas. I wish they could do some of that in SWTOR. Heck you can even pass the time if the queues are slower by hunting the PvP elites that are out in the world and drop honor tokens.

They are re-balancing the battle groups along with doing Virtual Realms. I really like the way they deal with low population realms. They are creating virtual servers, but no one loses a name you just have your realm attached to the name and are "joined" to another sever. You can even have virtual realm guilds.

I like a lot of things about SWTOR, but I've been playing less and less. They just keep, IMO, doing the wrong things to get more PvP participation and there just isn't as much to do outside of PvP or OPs. Balance is a bigger issue than in WoW because the overall size of the WZs is smaller and SWTOR just seems to thrash more than WoW when it comes to balance.

I love the fact that I can black list my two least favorite BGs or even just pick the ones I want to queue for. I understand we have a lot less people here and no cross realm. But I detest PuG death matches. If I get 3 or 4 of those in a row, well I'm off to that other game.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Lord_of_Mu
02.07.2014 , 04:38 AM | #26
I recently revived my two accounts to make money ready for the next WoW expansion. It's entirely possible that others are of the same mindset.

Arutar
02.07.2014 , 04:39 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
Let's scream ''go back to the Pandas'' to your heart content.
GO BACK TO PANDAS!

Seriously what is you point? That wow remains to this day (and probably of all time) the most succesful mmo with the most subscribers?

No ****, Sherlock.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nemmar
02.07.2014 , 05:41 AM | #28
Do you know why?

Cause they have had an expansion announced for a while now. They also know more are coming after the next one aswell as content patches.

Here? We had to cry, moan and unsub to get them to give us a rough estimate for the next 6 months. At least they announced plans to release another digital expansion of RotHC size and another one with a mini-game mechanic.
They wouldnt have lost as many subs if they had bothered to announce those were in the works a few months ago, instead of only annoucing it to the few in a community cantina event no one talks about.

The PR is TERRIBLE. To get subs you need to be trustworthy. And the truth is, Bioware and EA are as dodgy as snakes as far as future content goes.

jorill
02.07.2014 , 06:12 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Do you know why?

Cause they have had an expansion announced for a while now. They also know more are coming after the next one aswell as content patches.

Here? We had to cry, moan and unsub to get them to give us a rough estimate for the next 6 months. At least they announced plans to release another digital expansion of RotHC size and another one with a mini-game mechanic.
They wouldnt have lost as many subs if they had bothered to announce those were in the works a few months ago, instead of only annoucing it to the few in a community cantina event no one talks about.

The PR is TERRIBLE. To get subs you need to be trustworthy. And the truth is, Bioware and EA are as dodgy as snakes as far as future content goes.
bioware has ALWAYS been that way when it comes to info. I guess when you come from an rpg single player game that is ok but when you are dealing with an mmo its kind of a different story

kirorx
02.07.2014 , 06:36 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidew View Post
Who the Hell cares about WOW, SWTOR has lightsabers /thread
Agreed. I am here for the starwars.

I can't deny WoW is a pretty solid game it's just not the setting I want to play in.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU