Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

But how the hell they do this ? (Blizzard and WOW)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
But how the hell they do this ? (Blizzard and WOW)

Angedechu
02.06.2014 , 08:44 PM | #1
I tried again to play tonight, with less than stellaer results....(long queue for a pathetic group)

And today, Blizzard announced that WOW have gained subs during the last quarter. 200 000 subs. Sure you can rightly say ''meh, those are chinese subs that does not count'....

But the thing is, WOW have gained 200 000 subs without content since september while we are probably around 250 k subs total with new content....

Let's scream ''go back to the Pandas'' to your heart content. Once again, my point is that Blizzard is obviously doing something ''right'' at one point...

Xdancp
02.06.2014 , 08:48 PM | #2
I honestly can't make heads or tails of that incoherent mess.

Angedechu
02.06.2014 , 08:51 PM | #3
Simple.

The queues are getting worse and worse for me, the population of the servers is dropping-or at least, that's my perception.

Meanwhile, WOW managed, during the same period as we lost subs despite GSF (without new content) to gain 200 000 subs. We only have like 250 000, maybe 300 000 subs all in all. The excuse ''the market is changing'' seems to be just an excuse for me.

hadoken
02.06.2014 , 08:57 PM | #4
Who knows how they're spinning their numbers. They could have opened in a new marketplace for all we know, they won't say. For years they've been inflating their numbers with dishonest Asian 'subscribers' (who don't subscribe like the western world) so it'd be no surprise if they're doctoring their stuff yet again.

Angedechu
02.06.2014 , 08:59 PM | #5
1)They report sub numbers, not income

2)Creative accounting and lying are two different things. Besides, if they fudge their numbers with asian subs, why they report losses on some quarters ?

Kilikaa
02.06.2014 , 09:04 PM | #6
Populations are fine and stable. I bet you are dps. There are so many dps that the group finder is flooded. As a result you will be waiting longer. That has nothing to do with Bioware, it is out of their control. The players decide what to play and most play dps. I can queue up on my Shadowtank or healers and get instant pops. I have to wait for my dps toons.

Angedechu
02.06.2014 , 09:06 PM | #7
I'm a healer...

Alucardess
02.06.2014 , 09:10 PM | #8
The announcement of Warlords of Draenor is not "without content" as you so put it. I know several friends who resubbed in order to get their characters in gear for the new expansion.

Kilikaa
02.06.2014 , 09:13 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
I'm a healer...
Don't know what to tell you then. I have no problems with my healers. People say cross server queues would help, I don't know or pretend to. Unless you play at a odd hour you shouldn't have more than a five minute wait at the longest. It is also possible fewer people use GF on your server.

By the way, don't try to compare wow and TOR subs. Wow is a sub based game while this is a f2p/sub hybrid. Blizzard got lucky with wow. Every dev since has tried to copy it with no success on the scale of Blizzard. I wish devs would stop trying to copy a crappy game. It has stagnated the genre for too long. It doesn't matter how Blizzard does it. It has no bearing on TOR.

Practel
02.06.2014 , 09:16 PM | #10
1) We don't know how many of the 200,000 subscribers are new as compared to returning. There is, after all, a new expansion which will draw many players back.

2) WoW has been out for over 10 years. Content in that game has been established, and new players joining the game are going to do the content from oldest to newest (generally speaking, there are definitely people who don't do this).

3) WoW has lost over 4 million subscribers since it's peak of 12 million in 2010. An additional 200,000 subs are great, but it's not where Blizzard wants the game to be at (that being said, the game is not a bad point at all. It's still incredibly healthy and supported by Blizz.)