Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Story - the Series ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Story - the Series ?

AlienEyeTX
02.06.2014 , 11:38 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
They added story with the new FP...isn't that mostly what you want? How many times are you going to listen to the admiral say the same thing? I did the first time...waited for others the second time...but that "story content" took me all of like 60 seconds to consume.
It would be nice to have story outside of FP/Ops. They've given a little more, but it's always for the entire faction. I'm fine with that, but I don't think it's being greedy to ask for some small tidbit that that is class-specific. I'm not even talking about a 5 quest chain. I would be happy with 1 or 2 short missions, which would only require 2-4 cutscenes. Just a little something to keep the class story moving. It doesn't matter to me about spacebarrers. Enough people want class stories to continue (even if just a little bit) that it would be worth BWs time to at least consider the option.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

MariaD
02.06.2014 , 11:43 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarkos View Post
If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained.
They are already doing this, but with 2 faction stories instead of 8 class stories plus faction stories. Here is the question you should be asking.

Would you wait five times longer between updates than you do now?

That's how long it would take for BW to create 8 class stories in addition to 2 faction stories. At least that long, but likely much longer, because the logistics of working with that many writers, voice actors, and support people grow exponentially with each new component you add. Please do the math.
Quicker
Easier
More seductive

Rafaman
02.06.2014 , 11:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The practical problem with this though is they can do 4X as much in the same time with the same level of effort in the faction story arcs. So from a business standpoint.. they deliver more, faster, and with the same investment cost by sticking to dual faction story arcs. Of course it has less "replay value" for some players.. which is a common theme for wanting 8 class stories rather then 2 faction stories.

Besides.. let's be real.... this idea would result in content that the average player would gobble down in a few hours and then be back complaining in the forum about a lack of class story content. All it does is wet the appetite and create more craving and more demands. It does not really address the issue IMO.

I want class story content as much as everyone else. But I am also fine with the faction based arcs, and I can understand and embrace that it's more efficient in delivering more story for Bioware.
Sure, we will gobble it up. I'm a content locust like the rest of us and I would be done with it in hours and with my alts run it several times over. It is more efficient to have factional stories with slight nods to class in dialogue etc. But what I am suggesting is the payoff is not in the consumption of those stories, but the number of players who will continue coming back for class stories.

Our friend Luna is not alone in championing class stories. Look at our favorite poll that rises to the surface from time to time. Despite it's flaws, that sample clearly shows us that class stories are a wanted item. What I am suggesting is adding to brand loyalty by sticking with class stories, the thing that made this MMO stand out significantly. But doing it in a way that is manageable. Resetting expectations so Chapters are an amalgam of short episodes. Using these stories as a vehicle to sell stuff and introduce new features. The lack of efficiency will pay off in brand loyalty, and increase revenues IMO.

Rafaman
02.06.2014 , 11:50 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MariaD View Post
They are already doing this, but with 2 faction stories instead of 8 class stories plus faction stories. Here is the question you should be asking.

Would you wait five times longer between updates than you do now?

That's how long it would take for BW to create 8 class stories in addition to 2 faction stories. At least that long, but likely much longer, because the logistics of working with that many writers, voice actors, and support people grow exponentially with each new component you add. Please do the math.
My proposal would be that not all 8 are done every time. Yes, I realize that would cause qq to rival the balance threads but if there is a rotation all the stories can be touched with a final release at the end of the year putting it all together.

Just keep throwing the story bread crumbs out there. Even if it is not all at once.

Malastare
02.06.2014 , 12:09 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
As a business, if you had to chose one, which one would you invest in?
Both!

You're reiterating the same fallacy that loads of other people around here tote about as if it were obviously true. The developers can work on more than one thing at a time. Actually, they can work on many different things at one time. There are art people and story people and quest designers and engine coders and probably a few other specializations that are particular to the game. Game quest lines and CM items have very little overlap. There's no reason that you can't do both at the same time, with negligible additional investment.

Where you do get a conflict is when people want more FPs and new planets and new story lines. All of those are probably using similar teams. You're going to have to prioritize and schedule a bit. And if you plan on doing anything for the whining minority of PvP players, then you have to get the game balance team involved, too.

Considering the lessons the community has taught them (MMO players are simultaneously voracious and lazy, racing to the "end" of content, and showing little interest in exploring), I wouldn't be at all surprised at their decision to focus on planetary story content. You can either produce an hour of content for 8 classes, or 4 hours of content for 2 factions. Although, considering the added efficiency of fewer tasks, you could probably do 6 hours of content 2 factions in the same amount of time. With players eager to inhale content as if it were a race to prove how attractive they are, it delivers more of what they want and might give you a week (rather than 3 days) until they start whining that the game is dying because they ran out of content.

Andryah
02.06.2014 , 12:15 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
Both!

You're reiterating the same fallacy that loads of other people around here tote about as if it were obviously true. The developers can work on more than one thing at a time. Actually, they can work on many different things at one time. There are art people and story people and quest designers and engine coders and probably a few other specializations that are particular to the game. Game quest lines and CM items have very little overlap. There's no reason that you can't do both at the same time, with negligible additional investment.

Where you do get a conflict is when people want more FPs and new planets and new story lines. All of those are probably using similar teams. You're going to have to prioritize and schedule a bit. And if you plan on doing anything for the whining minority of PvP players, then you have to get the game balance team involved, too.

Considering the lessons the community has taught them (MMO players are simultaneously voracious and lazy, racing to the "end" of content, and showing little interest in exploring), I wouldn't be at all surprised at their decision to focus on planetary story content. You can either produce an hour of content for 8 classes, or 4 hours of content for 2 factions. Although, considering the added efficiency of fewer tasks, you could probably do 6 hours of content 2 factions in the same amount of time. With players eager to inhale content as if it were a race to prove how attractive they are, it delivers more of what they want and might give you a week (rather than 3 days) until they start whining that the game is dying because they ran out of content.
/Agree.

I really don't see what TUXs is up to there. He's a smart guy... so I'm sure he knows that trying to conflate and map CM and in game content development as a conflict of resources is conspiracy theory nonsense.
Negativity achieves nothing positive or productive. It's hostile and it reveals a persons true character. It's a useless and miserable way to spend one's time, IMO ... but some people like being miserable I guess. This is true in real life and it is true inside MMOs.

TUXs
02.06.2014 , 12:36 PM | #17
Both!

I'm not suggesting they can only do one or the other. I'm saying that offering to pony up a few extra $ isn't going to sway them. The $ they make off the CM vs. the minimal investment it costs to produce items for the CM eclipses what they could potentially make from selling a story update. They've made it clear they have no plans, even if showered with $$$, to develop more class quests. They seem to believe they get more bang for their development $ doing it with faction arcs.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer 7-day free sub Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

CosmicKat
02.06.2014 , 12:40 PM | #18
Both!

Of course they have to pick what to work on. They have a budget and everything they do has a cost associated with it. CM content has a much higher return on investment, especially when you consider that much of it is simple re-colors, or assemblies of previously done art components.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

hadoken
02.06.2014 , 12:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarkos View Post
If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained. It could potentially keep players '' hooked up '' since they would want to know what happens to their character in the next few weeks.
While I like the idea of frequent updates to class story (like a personalized version of the GW2 living story) it'll never happen with these guys. They're focused on the CM first and world arcs second. They probably don't even have the people that made those class stories in the first place as employees anymore.

AlienEyeTX
02.06.2014 , 12:45 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
While I like the idea of frequent updates to class story (like a personalized version of the GW2 living story) it'll never happen with these guys. They're focused on the CM first and world arcs second. They probably don't even have the people that made those class stories in the first place as employees anymore.
That really wouldn't prevent them from expanding the stories.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric