Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Story - the Series ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Story - the Series ?

Sarkos
02.06.2014 , 10:47 AM | #1
Yes, another thread about class story! How original. But it is, in a good way. The devs said that Class Stories will most likely never happen again.

Now, let's try something. Hypothetically speaking, would you, the player, be willing to wait for a patch / expansion delay if there was a 100% chance class stories would make a comeback? Now i realize that some of you will say '' yes, but once we clear through the story, we need to wait all over again ''. That is understandable, but a solution might be possible. Let me explain :

If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained. It could potentially keep players '' hooked up '' since they would want to know what happens to their character in the next few weeks.

Now this whole post is just food for thought. I do not inquire anything, it's just for fun and speculations on how this imagined scenario would work out.
- '' I suggest a new strategy, Ray. Let EA win. ''

AlienEyeTX
02.06.2014 , 10:53 AM | #2
I get what you're after here. I think I've mentioned something similar in the past, but not a large-scale. Giving each class a short 1-3 mission arc with each "group story" expansion seems somewhat reasonable. It doesn't need to be anything near as big as the stories we started with. But it would keep things moving as the war continues and make each class feel at least a little special.

So, yeah, I'm all for it.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

TUXs
02.06.2014 , 10:57 AM | #3
Curious...

Assume it takes them 4 weeks to produce a "tiny bit" of story content that they can throw out to subs for free, knowing that half the players spacebar every bit of that content.

Let us also assume that in that same time, they could produce an entirely new CM pack to sell (keep in mind that the CM made twice as much as subscriptions did last year).

As a business, if you had to chose one, which one would you invest in?

They added story with the new FP...isn't that mostly what you want? How many times are you going to listen to the admiral say the same thing? I did the first time...waited for others the second time...but that "story content" took me all of like 60 seconds to consume.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Rasen
02.06.2014 , 10:57 AM | #4
Nice idea. Here's my thing on the class stories. It was never planned for year one of the game. The end of year one was the end of the Dread Wars. Now when did the end of the Dread Wars happen? 2.4 which was actually close to the end of year two. So their plans were delayed by an entire year. They have said that the joint storylines are the focus currently, but it is reasonable to think class stories are in fact still coming just not anytime soon. Some info on them was datamined(though to be fair things like that are not guaranteed to make it in game. The plans are there nonetheless.). Another point to think about is the potential for a boxed or substantial digital expansion. I think undeniably such a thing will happen for the game, but you need something huge and truly expanding for it to happen and to me that is the class stories. This, in my eyes, is how class stories are profitable. This game's boxed sales were enormous largely due to the single player landscape. Not so much the MMO world. Another quality Bioware story being sold will net several million instantly. Whether those will stay is where the MMO aspect of the game steps in.

So in essence I think class stories are still alive, but are not priority now. Probably year 4(2015) will be the year they descend simply because they need to have a significant expansion to boost up hype around Episode VII which obviously this game is getting ready for. A new planet doesn't build hype like a whole extension of the story. Plus they know the single player fans would swarm on it like trolls on an official game forum.

As for your point OP. I can support episodic releases, but I prefer one big release for a chapter or two. Episodic content is risky because there is a set deadline you adhere yourself to and if missed it can cause irreparable harm. Releasing it all at once removes that issue from the equation. Frustration is still there, but when released it tends to drown away and not leave too much bitterness.

Rafaman
02.06.2014 , 10:57 AM | #5
I too have mentioned this as a way to manage continuing class stories. Small episodic installments, far from full chapters. I also think they don't have to be for all classes at one time. Just bread crumbs to keep the story going.

I think it can be managed and will go a long way to keep people tuning in.

I really hope they consider this and an option as it could change the way subs and f2p ebb and flow from the game and may have staying power.

Rafaman
02.06.2014 , 11:08 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Curious...

Assume it takes them 4 weeks to produce a "tiny bit" of story content that they can throw out to subs for free, knowing that half the players spacebar every bit of that content.

Let us also assume that in that same time, they could produce an entirely new CM pack to sell (keep in mind that the CM made twice as much as subscriptions did last year).

As a business, if you had to chose one, which one would you invest in?

They added story with the new FP...isn't that mostly what you want? How many times are you going to listen to the admiral say the same thing? I did the first time...waited for others the second time...but that "story content" took me all of like 60 seconds to consume.
So first. Half? No... its waay more than half. Let the spacebar crew spacebar. We are talking about most of the players that don't spacebar.

Second, we are not talking about a snippet from a flashpoint here. We are talking about class story that impacts the class. No not full blown chapters but story and quests that add the progress of the class story. People may run in once, may a few times, but it will keep them tuned in to see how the story unfolds.

Last, what is being proposed is not a matter of choice for the devs. It is in addition to whatever is being offered in the CM or elsewhere. It is a method of keeping players engaged. It will go a long way to selling stuff in the CM if that is their aim; especially if they tie CM items to the episodes released. Armor weapons etc. introduced in the story.

Andryah
02.06.2014 , 11:08 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
I too have mentioned this as a way to manage continuing class stories. Small episodic installments, far from full chapters. I also think they don't have to be for all classes at one time. Just bread crumbs to keep the story going.

I think it can be managed and will go a long way to keep people tuning in.

I really hope they consider this and an option as it could change the way subs and f2p ebb and flow from the game and may have staying power.
The practical problem with this though is they can do 4X as much in the same time with the same level of effort in the faction story arcs. So from a business standpoint.. they deliver more, faster, and with the same investment cost by sticking to dual faction story arcs. Of course it has less "replay value" for some players.. which is a common theme for wanting 8 class stories rather then 2 faction stories.

Besides.. let's be real.... this idea would result in content that the average player would gobble down in a few hours and then be back complaining in the forum about a lack of class story content. All it does is wet the appetite and create more craving and more demands. It does not really address the issue IMO.

I want class story content as much as everyone else. But I am also fine with the faction based arcs, and I can understand and embrace that it's more efficient in delivering more story for Bioware.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Damask_Rose
02.06.2014 , 11:28 AM | #8
People are going to gobble down and demand more content no matter what. Faction content won't last any longer. Cheaper yes, longer lasting no. Why else are they experimenting with multiple scenario flashpoints? Probably because people really don't want to do the same thing over and over again with all of their alts. Kind of the way people beg for double xp weekends so they can level without doing planet quests. Planet quests (aka faction story) loose replayability very quickly.

I, personally, would prefer 8 short class stories over 2 longer faction ones. Even though I have multiple characters and play every day, I've only finished Makeb twice and Oricon only once. I have three characters of every class, so, for me, I'm getting way more mileage out of the class quests than the faction ones.

I would take class content any way I can get it. One big expensive expansions? I'll pony up! Bits and pieces on the CM? I"m down with that! Dribbled out with other content? Fine! Fine! Just don't give up on the best part of the game!

Please let me change Theron's clothes!

And fix Vector & Scourge's clothing issues too!

sepulhead
02.06.2014 , 11:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The practical problem with this though is they can do 4X as much in the same time with the same level of effort in the faction story arcs. So from a business standpoint.. they deliver more, faster, and with the same investment cost by sticking to dual faction story arcs. Of course it has less "replay value" for some players.. which is a common theme for wanting 8 class stories rather then 2 faction stories.

Besides.. let's be real.... this idea would result in content that the average player would gobble down in a few hours and then be back complaining in the forum about a lack of class story content. All it does is wet the appetite and create more craving and more demands. It does not really address the issue IMO.

I want class story content as much as everyone else. But I am also fine with the faction based arcs, and I can understand and embrace that it's more efficient in delivering more story for Bioware.
i know it takes a lot of time to create class story but i am willing to pay 60 for a class story expansion.

TUXs
02.06.2014 , 11:36 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sepulhead View Post
i know it takes a lot of time to create class story but i am willing to pay 60 for a class story expansion.
Your 60 doesn't cover the expense of creating more class story and it's a pittance compared to the 3+x's that 60 in CM sales they can get, for far less development time and cost.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)