Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Good bye guys

Kortio
02.06.2014 , 04:18 AM | #21
Yes, the game is taxing, but so are most MMORPGs. They require the full package as in CPU/GPU and a lot of RAM.
That is due to their nature of being an online game.

What helps in most cases is to increase the Virtual Ram Size of your Windows. This allows Windows to cache more data on the disk, which would otherwise be stuck in the RAM. Also, close your Browser during playing, all Browsers need a lot of RAM.

I don't know how much you have, but this issue is overlooked by many.

OwnerJord
02.06.2014 , 04:19 AM | #22
Looking forward to see you return for when 2.7 and 2.8 hit.

Doesn't hurt to take a long break either, might just be the cure you need to help get back into the game.
"It was not your ships or your men or your vaunted 'fight for freedom' that won this, the final battle of the war. It was by the actions of one person–the Jedi Revan–that you prevailed. Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's plans."

dakyo
02.06.2014 , 05:17 AM | #23
This game doesn't use more than one core of my CPU. As my cpu is fairly old (dual core 2.8ghz) I really need the dual core aspect. I have 8gb of ram which is more than enough for what it uses without SWTOR:Unleashed. However I have been considering using that. The thing is... if it isn't using dual cores then Unleashed wont do me any good as that mostly dumps files into virtual ramdrives.

This has got me pondering now and I will investigate this further as surely no game should be limited to a single core these days. Even an old engine like hero engine should be updated.

[edit: It seems it does use more than one core but only when in fullscreen. When minimised it reverts to single core load. It top ends at 85% which is nice to leave some for other apps. This is with lowest graphics settings. I bump the graphics upto full and the cpu stays the same, the system ram stays the same. The throughput to gpu will be my bottleneck there with a HD 48xx. The only time it gives me any greif is 16man raids of course. Everything else is fine]
The Forthewin Legacy

Kortio
02.06.2014 , 05:21 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by dakyo View Post
This game doesn't use more than one core of my CPU. As my cpu is fairly old (dual core 2.8ghz) I really need the dual core aspect. I have 8gb of ram which is more than enough for what it uses without SWTOR:Unleashed. However I have been considering using that. The thing is... if it isn't using dual cores then Unleashed wont do me any good as that mostly dumps files into virtual ramdrives.

This has got me pondering now and I will investigate this further as surely no game should be limited to a single core these days. Even an old engine like hero engine should be updated.
Sorry, but I can't confirm this.
The game uses all of my cores. I got a AMD 965 Phenom II, which has 4 cores/threads.

dakyo
02.06.2014 , 05:24 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortio View Post
Sorry, but I can't confirm this.
The game uses all of my cores. I got a AMD 965 Phenom II, which has 4 cores/threads.
yep my bad I was checking with window minimised. Just edited my post to confirm it does multicore
The Forthewin Legacy

horrorfaneightys
02.06.2014 , 06:22 AM | #26
Sorry you're having issues. I used to play on a laptop, and had real lag problems. I recently got a new computer with a dedicated graphics card, and over double the ram, and it works much better. I have the game on medium settings now rather than everything on the lowest, and I have no lag, even on fleet . In fact the only time I have had lag is during the recent rakghoul event, in the special tunnels, and that was due to the huge number of people. I know it could run the settings on higher, but I don't need to - even medium is such a huge improvement on what it was before.

I have to agree with the others that say you need to look in to upgrading or replacing your computer. I ended up paying less than £400 for mine, so I think I've done quite well. There are some good deals out there at the moment, so shop around. Hope you get it working better somehow and get back into the game.
"There is no heavier burden than a great potential" ~ Linus, Peanuts
Morga-dar Level 54 Assassin Li'lu-fei Level 54 Sentinel
Xaniata-kee Level 53 Sniper Aiden-grey Level 55 Vanguard

OwenBrooks
02.06.2014 , 06:46 AM | #27
I'll throw out a few threads that seem to help a few

Wooden toasters as some call them - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=701019

AMD a lot have found these good settings from mithersonian, mind did see one person was negative why no idea - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=667864&page=2

And NVidia there is a lot of good stuff here - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...591313&page=11

And as always ensure windows power management is on "High performance" and for older systems , replacing the thermal paste is always a good idea as recommended here
- http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=716137

MaximilianPower
02.06.2014 , 07:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Might I recommend a non-wooden computer?
This is good advice. Aside from the performance issues - if the CPU gets hot, you've got a fire hazard on your hands.
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn Bøbløblaw SylvesterMcbean TøbiasFünke MaximilianPower Jedi Covenant
100% GSF cheevs

scarlet_magpie
02.06.2014 , 07:30 AM | #29
I play on a netbook. It sticks on the loading screen for an age, and I often have to shop around for instances in high volume traffic. Also, try PVPing at 55 with a mousepad and directional buttons!
I can't WAIT to get a good comp to play on, but I sure as hell ain't going anywhere!!!

DarthVengeant
02.06.2014 , 08:47 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Denerio View Post
The engine this game runs on is complete garbage. He doesn't need a new pc. This game needs a new engine.
^ times 1000.