Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need vs Greed Loot W****s

GrimWulf
12.22.2013 , 01:30 PM | #1
While in a pug what does everyone think about people who roll need on gear they are using for an ALT. They are in 78's or 72's and rolling need on 69's?
I called a guy out for rolling need on a 69 main hand while he had a 72 and I was using a 66. He got mad and I put him on ignore and he promptly followed me on 2 other toons which I put on ignore.
Also what if the person is in 72's and rolling need for the 69 "set" bonus.

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge...

cxten
12.22.2013 , 01:51 PM | #2
In a random pug, rolling need on a 69 mainhand when you have a 72 mainhand is not okay.

Rolling need on a 69 set bonus when you have a 72 non-set-bonus is completely fine. The set bonus is better than the non-set-bonus gear even if the latter is higher rating.

------

In some pugs, the leader will have some special loot rule. One you'll sometimes see: you can roll need on anything, but you can only win one token drop. Another you'll sometimes see: roll need on anything, no restrictions. If either of these are announced at the start by the leader, take heed (and find another group if you don't like it, or try to convince them to change it), but without these being mentioned, the "standard" rule of "need if you need on this toon, otherwise greed" should apply.

Often these days people see the 69 gear as nearly worthless, which leads to the ridiculous logic of "well, nobody should really need it, so I'm going to grab it for my alt." Sounds like you ran into one of these.

steave
12.22.2013 , 01:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GrimWulf View Post
Also what if the person is in 72's and rolling need for the 69 "set" bonus.
69 set bonus > 78 "normal" in many cases. Always for 72s.

Critical-
12.22.2013 , 05:56 PM | #4
There is nothing you can do about it, if you pug you can have ninja's.
Next time if someone needs something you could use, just ask nicely.

Falver
12.22.2013 , 06:08 PM | #5
When I lead ops, I usually just say you can roll on any set pieces (except relics/ear/implants if those are all bis) and will lock you out from any further pieces.

In GF random queues, it isn't acceptable to take anything for an alt if it can be used by one of the players in there. If no one needs it, common etiquette requires that you ask for permission first. If they're fine with it, then they can take it for an alt.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

Grovsie
12.22.2013 , 06:11 PM | #6
it really bugs me as well. If im leader and I see it and they don't change they get kicked. Simples.

CrazyGreggy
12.23.2013 , 04:56 AM | #7
Happened to me on Saturday, pugged into a TFB SM 16 and the raid leader in 78s rolled need on Arkanian Bracers, as did someone who already had 69s. I'm using blue 66s as I'm gearing a toon on a new server and I decided that if that was the way things were for this group I would rather leave and try my luck at getting a run after the lockout expired. The raid leader accused me of creating drama and what was wrong with taking 69s for offspec as noone cared about them anymore. He'd even rolled against his own guildie who had 24k health and would clearly have benefited from the piece as much as, if not more than, me.

As luck would have it, the following day a group was advertising for a healer starting from the 2nd boss, which fit perfectly with my lockout. By the end of that run not only did I have 2pc Arkanian as only one other person needed the pieces and 2 drop in 16s, but I had both tanks asking me if I was looking for a guild

Solar_Breeze
12.23.2013 , 05:50 AM | #8
Question for OP and those who have posted in agreement with the 'People shouldn't take loot for alts' camp.
Would you rather that person came on an under-geared alt or a fully geared main to carry those not so geared through?

I know my answer. The faster you do the run the quicker you can do something else for gear. I would rather someone brings a main in full 78s and rolls for their alt. Rather than endure a long rubbish run (which will most likely fail at last boss) where everyone is in 66's or a character or role which they are inexperienced on. Just because they don't want to be accused of being a ninja.

Public runs are free for all to join and loot on (depending on who is running them). - ALWAYS ASK THE LOOTING RULES BEFORE YOU JOIN.

If you don't like the need / greed system but still want raiding gear join a guild which has different looting rules and go on guild runs.
Emrys - Red Eclipse
Spoiler

LegoUniverseBC
12.23.2013 , 06:32 AM | #9
I'm in full 72s-69s and I need on anything that has a set bonus (if i don't already have it)

slafko
12.23.2013 , 07:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Solar_Breeze View Post
If you don't like the need / greed system but still want raiding gear join a guild which has different looting rules and go on guild runs.
My guild follows the same looting rules as the one you're bashing here: NEED = main chars, GREED = alts and companions. On top of that, looting is mostly set to Master Looter. We roll for gear tokens first, implants/earpieces second, comms gear third. First round of rolls is either for mains or characters we're playing on, second round of rolls (if there is one) is for offspec, alts, companions and reverse engineering. OpsLeader can and sometimes will make a judgement call and award the token gear to second, or even third, highest roll because it will mean a bigger stat boost to that player. Furthermore, winning a token means you cannot roll for next two token drops. Since the rules are logical and beneficial to everyone in the long run, no one has ever had problems with them.

Only drops everyone rolls and trolls each other over are miniatures and mounts, but that's just friendly "drama" and trolling because we all want them speeders and minipests. Even then the winners will sometimes give the item to another raid member. I guess we're pretty easy-going about loot drops.

Even though it sometimes works against us when we invite pugs to join.