Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advice for upgrading GPU please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Advice for upgrading GPU please?

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 02:16 AM | #21
Ok I understand now. But the question is, if I decide to dish out some money for a new GPU, what GPU should I get? What is a good card recommendation that will stop the bottlenecking? At the same time I don't want a bad *** card that is getting held back by my processor. Thoughts?
Valkyrev Level 55 Commando
The Bastion

DKNS
11.25.2013 , 02:23 AM | #22
OP

I would recommend against getting a GTX650Ti, the difference would be marginal and barely noticeable.

Instead of the AMD 7870 you linked, you should get an AMD R9 270 or 270X (both are faster than the 7870 and cost only 30-40USD more on newegg)

Instead of the GTX670, i would highly suggest an AMD R9 280X. It is a monster of a card and will blow 670 out of the competition (costs around 300USD on newegg again). It is just 7970 GHz edition disguised which was already one of AMD's fastest production cards.

Keep in mind, i am not American and i don't use newegg nor do i have a concrete idea of the local prices. So, look around to get the R9 280X cheaper. That card is worth it. The performance for that price is just ridiculous.

DKNS
11.25.2013 , 02:29 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventonix View Post
Ok I understand now. But the question is, if I decide to dish out some money for a new GPU, what GPU should I get? What is a good card recommendation that will stop the bottlenecking? At the same time I don't want a bad *** card that is getting held back by my processor. Thoughts?
Your card is not getting held back by your processor, it is the reverse. Your GPU (graphics card) is holding back the CPU. If you put too much of a powerful card in your PC, the situation will reverse and your CPU will be holding back the GPU although as i have said many times, it wont happen unless you go SLI or install a Titan or a GTX780.

I have recommended several cards above which you should take a look at. Also, my preference for AMD above lies in the fact that they are giving great performance/price ratio at the moment and their driver issues have gone as well based on what i am hearing from tons of people. Hence, i have listed many of the newer AMD cards above.

spectreclees
11.25.2013 , 04:38 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by JymmyMorison View Post
you are being bottlenecked by your cpu in warzones a new gpu wont help there, it will only increase your maximum fps since your cpu will still be the same
His CPU isn't bottlenecking him at all. I run a i5 2550k which is a tad bit better and trust me, my CPU barely reaches the point of even coming close to bottlenecking me in this game. It actually comes out to my GPU holding me back and it's a GTX 660 which is boggling. It's bad coding.

His CPU could last him for at least 1-2 more years before an upgrade even becomes an afterthought.

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 05:38 AM | #25
Could anyone advise me on the best program to download in order to monitor my GPU and CPU % load while in game? I'd like to confirm that my GPU is under stress during warzones, pvp, ect. before purchasing anything haha.
Valkyrev Level 55 Commando
The Bastion

AMightyKnight
11.25.2013 , 06:30 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
You should check it with some other GPU intensive game. SWTOR, like i said before, is poorly coded. Unless you are running SLI or something, any decently coded game (unless it uses a **** ton of calculations) shouldn't max out your CPU. Also, always run a game in VSYNC enabled mode to prevent unnecessary maxing out of either the CPU or the GPU. It not only saves power but increases the life of the components as well.
Yes... Of course its swtor. Never claimed otherwise. A more optimized game produces different results on my pc. But OP was freaking out about FPS in swtor so i mentioned the next barrier after a gpu upgrade based on my own experiences witht the game. Nothing more.

Instead of the GTX670, i would highly suggest an AMD R9 280X. It is a monster of a card and will blow 670 out of the competition (costs around 300USD on newegg again). It is just 7970 GHz edition disguised which was already one of AMD's fastest production cards.
I'm not so sure about the blowing part but it would be a good choice. If money is an issue however, a GTX 760 or 660 TI would work as well.
Benaiah Abihail Ahdino
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
Equilibrium ~ T3M4 ~ Referral Link ~

DKNS
11.25.2013 , 06:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AMightyKnight View Post
Yes... Of course swtor its. Never claimed otherwise. A more optimized game produces different results on my pc. But OP was freaking out about FPS in swtor so i mentioned the next barrier after a gpu upgrade based on my own experiences witht the game. Nothing more.

I'm not so sure about the blowing part but it would be a good choice. If money is an issue however, a GTX 760 or 660 TI would work as well.
GTX760 costs more than the AMD R9 280X while giving less performance.

OP

For CPU monitoring, use Core Temp (be careful while installing, it does have some bloatware)
For GPU monitoring, use GPU Temp

Now run SWTOR in Windowed mode while leaving space at the bottom only enough to see your GPU and CPU usage. Just decrease the resolution slightly to get the gap, reducing it too much will decrease the load on your CPU & GPU.

AMightyKnight
11.25.2013 , 08:19 AM | #28
GTX760 costs more than the AMD R9 280X while giving less performance.
You can get a GTX760 2GB for 250 US-$ on amazon.com, R9 280X is 300+ US-$.
In an actual gaming enviroment the performance difference shouldnt be wont be more than tolerable if money is an issue.
Benaiah Abihail Ahdino
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
Equilibrium ~ T3M4 ~ Referral Link ~

ShadessaWayland
11.25.2013 , 11:06 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AMightyKnight View Post
You can get a GTX760 2GB for 250 US-$ on amazon.com, R9 280X is 300+ US-$.
In an actual gaming enviroment the performance difference shouldnt be wont be more than tolerable if money is an issue.
try a HIS radeon R9 270X iceQ X2 2gig GDDR5
i use it to now its a very good card for a very nice price so 170 euro for me then dollar i dunno

also i use a AMD FX 8 core 4.0 GHZ
windows 7 premuim 64 bit
8 gig Kingston 1600
OCZ 700 WATT
case CM 690 II Advanced Black & White Edition
CPU cooler Scythe mugen 4

all this for so 900 euro and you have dam nice comp for a nice price

Brickabrack
11.25.2013 , 11:57 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by dakisback View Post
This game is pretty poorly optimized any upgrades you get aren't going to do much for your FPS.

I have an i7 3770k and a GTX 680 4GB I run at 2560x1440 and sometimes even my framerate drops into the 30's in warzones.
What the heck man... not many people are running at 2560x1440. The standard sweet spot for HD gaming is at 1920x1080. When people are talking about fps they usually want to know what the rig runs in the 1920x1080 range, or less.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Playing Since 12-13-2011